Gear pedal doesn't return to it's original position after shifting up

Thread: Gear pedal doesn't return to it's original position after shifting up

Default Gear pedal doesn't return to it's original position after shifting up

My friends,

I've encountered this problem exactly one year ago, and now it came back.
    So it's like this: when I engage first gear into second, second into third, third to fourth or fourth to fifth, the gear pedal remains up, it doesn't come down to it's original position, making the next shifting up impossible. Last year I fixed this problem by adjusting the clutch cable (tightening that free play, to be more specific).
    About 4 days ago, when I was in vacation in Bulgaria, about 400 miles away from home, the problem reappeared. A tightened the clutch cable again (it wasn't loose much), but that didn't fix the issue.
    What I do now after each and every shifting up is slowly push the gear pedal down. No problem when easy riding, but when pushing hard (especially when also cornering) it's an operation that eats time and attention, and it's quite disturbing.

Has anyone had this problem? I will go to the doctor if necessary, but maybe it is something that can be fixed easily.

Thanks a lot!
    George

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Put some oil where the shifter pivots, it just gets dry sometimes.

no i have not had that problem with mine , i have seen a problem close to that on a harley fat boy , there was a spring inside the the transmision (return spring i belive was what it was called) that had broke . the difrence was his shifter was not stuck in the up position it wanted to keep droping down (down shifting on its own !). he had to ride home holding the shifter up with his toe about 400 miles .
    I would take the shifter assembly off clean it up real good and rienstall it couated with some nice grease and see if that helps like was sugested , if that doesnt help i guess you are looking at something internal.
    2008 c109rt . wolo air horn, gman tre, gman bully ,kuryakyn cruiser pegs, tsukayu jumbo strong bags ,tsukayu 6x9 bat wing , LED head light, driver backrest, k&n air filters, m109 tach, and electric cruise control ahhh !

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1r View Post
    no i have not had that problem with mine , i have seen a problem close to that on a harley fat boy , there was a spring inside the the transmision (return spring i belive was what it was called) that had broke . the difrence was his shifter was not stuck in the up position it wanted to keep droping down (down shifting on its own !). he had to ride home holding the shifter up with his toe about 400 miles .
    I would take the shifter assembly off clean it up real good and rienstall it couated with some nice grease and see if that helps like was sugested , if that doesnt help i guess you are looking at something internal.
    I checked the repair manual, and I think it is unlikely to be something internal.
    I also found on the internet that it has happened on others bikes (Kawa ZX6 for example), and it was fixed by taking everything down (external pieces, shifter, axle, etc), cleaned and re-assembled. Hope I'll figure it out. I'll put some pictures (if the operation succeeds).

Quote Originally Posted by AWD View Post
    My friends,

So it's like this: when I engage first gear into second, second into third, third to fourth or fourth to fifth, the gear pedal remains up, it doesn't come down to it's original position, making the next shifting up impossible. Last year I fixed this problem by adjusting the clutch cable (tightening that free play, to be more specific).
    About 4 days ago, when I was in vacation in Bulgaria, about 400 miles away from home, the problem reappeared. A tightened the clutch cable again (it wasn't loose much), but that didn't fix the issue.
    What I do now after each and every shifting up is slowly push the gear pedal down. No problem when easy riding, but when pushing hard (especially when also cornering) it's an operation that eats time and attention, and it's quite disturbing.

Has anyone had this problem? I will go to the doctor if necessary, but maybe it is something that can be fixed easily.

Thanks a lot!
    George
    Had this problem once when I first got my bike. Cleaned the shift linkage and lubed it. Works great now. I had it happen to a Virago I had too. Out here in the desert, things get dusty really fast so keeping it cleaned and lubed is a must for me. But that was all it was.

98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

Quote Originally Posted by bwl60 View Post
    Had this problem once when I first got my bike. Cleaned the shift linkage and lubed it. Works great now. I had it happen to a Virago I had too. Out here in the desert, things get dusty really fast so keeping it cleaned and lubed is a must for me. But that was all it was.
    I disassembled the whole stuff (gear pedal and linkage), and put it back. I loosened the nut in the center of the pedal a little (seemed too tightened) and the pedal is working good now. I can't get it to a longer test ride right now, but it seems to be ok.

My friends,

Thanks a lot!
    George
    I've had this exact problem, I used to carry WD-40 in my saddle bag so I could squirt the shifter from time to time. I installed a GBushing and the problem seems solved permanently.
    '08 C109RT Black and Silver, Show Chrome heated grips, National Cycle hand deflectors, Speedo Visor, Nautilus Air horn, GMan TRE, GBushing, GMan Riser Extender, Corbin heated touring saddle, Cobra Fatty highway bars, Kuryaken highway pegs, Sage Brush engine guard chaps, more mods to come with $$

Quote Originally Posted by Lemiarty View Post
    I've had this exact problem, I used to carry WD-40 in my saddle bag so I could squirt the shifter from time to time. I installed a GBushing and the problem seems solved permanently.
    Yes, I've been putting some miles since the fix, and the problem never appeared.

Default g bushing

get a G-bushing, better shifting and problem solved

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC-GBC90_general.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	85370

Suzuki windsheild, Cobra Fatty Bars, Suzuki LightBar, 8" Risers, Tank Bra, EMGO® "Big One" mirrors, Hard Chrome Big 3" Straights, Tsukayu hard bags, Russell Cycle Products Custom Saddle, Custom world rack and backrest, G-bushing, Bully FIC and TRE, Sage Brush Designs engine guard chaps. Metzler 880 tires

Very Active Member

As others have said, my 2 C109s each had the issue, it wasn't shifting well at all. Pulled the dipstick and had a few drops of oil on the pivot and it loosened up.

My friends,

Thanks a lot!
    George

I've had a GMan bushing in my bike almost as long as I've owned it, so I've never had this problem. I don't have a clue on what could be causing this problem.
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C109RT: HardKrome Velocity Pro Lites 2-1 Exhaust, Tank Bib, GMan TRE,Gman Bully controller, Speedo Visor, Everything Debadged, Front fender bra, Stock risers with GMan risers, Large ISO highway pegs with floorboard mounts and coming soon front, rear fender mud flap and lots of chrome accessories. Almost forgot Cobra 1 1/2 engine bars and Cobra driving light bar. Dual exhaust coming soon.

The stock bushing is meant to be greased and doesn't fit as tight as the GBushing. This allows for the bushing to get mucked up overtime until it eventually stops slipping. GBushing is well worth the money and effort to install.
    '08 C109RT Black and Silver, Show Chrome heated grips, National Cycle hand deflectors, Speedo Visor, Nautilus Air horn, GMan TRE, GBushing, GMan Riser Extender, Corbin heated touring saddle, Cobra Fatty highway bars, Kuryaken highway pegs, Sage Brush engine guard chaps, more mods to come with $$

Quote Originally Posted by Lemiarty View Post
    The stock bushing is meant to be greased and doesn't fit as tight as the GBushing. This allows for the bushing to get mucked up overtime until it eventually stops slipping. GBushing is well worth the money and effort to install.
    Quite a procedure to order it from Romania (payment, shipping, customs). I'll have to check it periodically, no big deal for me. Anyway, it's good I found the cause. And it's good that someone else could find here some valuable information. Thank you all.

If you pull it out, clean it and grease it up again, you may be able to get close to the initial amount of use before it gums up again. I carried WD40 with me and about once every 2 to 3 months had to give it a few squirts. I ride in wet weather a lot as it rains here more than shines.

My friends,

Thanks a lot!
    George
    Do not take the freeplay out of the clutch handle. You should be able to slip at least two Quarters in that gap, or you will wear out your clutch.
    Golfgolfgolfgolfgolf

Quote Originally Posted by tucsontony View Post
    Do not take the freeplay out of the clutch handle. You should be able to slip at least two Quarters in that gap, or you will wear out your clutch.
    I didn't take it out. I just adjusted it. A have 2-3 mm of free play right now. I did it with a good mechanic aside. Thanks!

Default thanks Folks.....lube the shifter if shifts from 1st to 2nd but not 3rd.....

Forum saves the day again!.....going home today from work I went to shift to 3rd once I was clear of the parking lot and I found the heel shifter in the down position (toe shifter in the up position) and found I could not shift to 3rd. I downshifted to first fine, came to a stop and started again and the same thing happened (shifted from 1st to 2nd fine then the shifter would not return to position so I could shift to 3rd). I then pushed the toe shifter forward gently back into position and I could then shift to 3rd (had to do the same for 4th and 5th). Glad that worked because I was not looking forward to driving 30 miles in 2nd.... Long story short, logged into the forum when I got home and searched for "won't shift" and found this thread. Popped the lower covers off the bike and checked the shift linkages and then put 3 in 1 oil on the shifter pivot near the wave washer and it works fine now. 23K on bike; I will add to lube the shifter to my oil change routine.

thanks, Rich

+1

This happened from day one with my bike, but only for 1-2 rides on days AFTER I rode it in the rain. Never happened unless it rained, and then only on the day after. Eventually I found that I could get the shifter to reset if I kicked into the Heel Shifter (i.e., kick it laterally, into the bike), but that was a PITA. Of course, the problem went away after a couple of dry rides, and I continued to ignore it until the next time it happened, nervously contemplating the cost of the full tranny/clutch overhaul that must surely be just on the horizon.

It finally occurred to me that it couldn't be the linkage or internals (once I figured out the kick trick), and just doused the pivot with WD-40. It hasn't happened since even after several very wet rides. I didn't discover this thread until long after I had already figured out what was going on, but it is always satisfying to hear others much smarter than me arriving at the same solution to the same problem.

2008 C109RT - ISO grips, K&N Air Filter, NOS exhaust and filter housings, rebuilt driver seat.
    Hammertone powder coat on fenders and tank.
    Plastidip rear frame, sissy bar, side frame covers, and windshield hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquitted View Post
    +1

This happened from day one with my bike, but only for 1-2 rides on days AFTER I rode it in the rain. Never happened unless it rained, and then only on the day after. Eventually I found that I could get the shifter to reset if I kicked into the Heel Shifter (i.e., kick it laterally, into the bike), but that was a PITA. Of course, the problem went away after a couple of dry rides, and I continued to ignore it until the next time it happened, nervously contemplating the cost of the full tranny/clutch overhaul that must surely be just on the horizon.

It finally occurred to me that it couldn't be the linkage or internals (once I figured out the kick trick), and just doused the pivot with WD-40. It hasn't happened since even after several very wet rides. I didn't discover this thread until long after I had already figured out what was going on, but it is always satisfying to hear others much smarter than me arriving at the same solution to the same problem.
    Mate, you have solved problem for me. Much appreciate you shared this. I just returned from 8000 kms ride from perth to Melbourne and back. Last day was all rain and pedal starting to get stuck on 2nd. I was worried of something very bad happened to transmission. But after i read ur story, i gave the pedal joint bit of wd40 and its all smooth again.
    It must be road debri getting stuck on pivot point.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

squirting stuff on the pivot doesn't work only cure is to remove lever from pivot grease and replace

I've had my M109R for 12 years and turned 34,000 miles last Monday. Never taken the shift linkage off for any reason. Still shifts awesome. Hmmmm.......................
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I've had my M109R for 12 years and turned 34,000 miles last Monday. Never taken the shift linkage off for any reason. Still shifts awesome. Hmmmm.......................
    This happened to me when i rode 1300kms in a day with 700kms of it was in rain. Its debris getting stuck in the linkage. Also consider that i did 8000kms in 12 days.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vishwo707 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquitted View Post
    +1

Mate, you have solved problem for me. Much appreciate you shared this. I just returned from 8000 kms ride from perth to Melbourne and back. Last day was all rain and pedal starting to get stuck on 2nd. I was worried of something very bad happened to transmission. But after i read ur story, i gave the pedal joint bit of wd40 and its all smooth again.
    It must be road debri getting stuck on pivot point.

Se0nt from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Awesome, glad it helped. I've had to reapply a few times since I posted this, bit WD40 continues to be a magic bullet for this. I keep a small can in the saddle bag nowadays.

2008 C109RT - ISO grips, K&N Air Filter, NOS exhaust and filter housings, rebuilt driver seat.
    Hammertone powder coat on fenders and tank.
    Plastidip rear frame, sissy bar, side frame covers, and windshield hardware.