Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    The over ride is your brake or clutch. Rostra is the CC for most cars and motorcycles OEM. I have since traded my 9 in for a Victory and the CC on that bike OEM is the same as the aftermarket one I installed on the 9. If it fails shut the bike off.

I just installed it on my brother's Road King and he loves it. Took us about 5 hours start to finish.
    Cool. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon0688 View Post
    How was the install on this project? Is it still working well for you. This is definitely something I want to do. Thanks
    when i did my install Dave (pergrine) was there to over see that it went well . mine and (Brad Smith) were being done at the same time and at the same place . there were a few small items that made it take a tad longer then what it could have been done in , such as waiting for a tool (there was 1 incorrectly placed wire on one of the bikes that requried a bit of a back tracking . but even with those items it was maybe 5 hours of actual work time . if you have never removed the air intake on one of these bikes ( this was the first time i had done it ) its about an hour just to tear it down to that point and put itall back together .
    and as far as how is it still working . i just got back from taking a 1000 mile ride around the lake and i used it often on the trip and i still love it

and as someone had asked about a safety override , if all else fails you can always hit the kill switch . the unit is designed to disabled by taping either brake , or the clutch ( as mentioned before just like a car ) and of course the power button on the unit itself .
    Last edited by 1r; 06-16-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    2008 c109rt . wolo air horn, gman tre, gman bully ,kuryakyn cruiser pegs, tsukayu jumbo strong bags ,tsukayu 6x9 bat wing , LED head light, driver backrest, k&n air filters, m109 tach, and electric cruise control ahhh !

Very Active Member

Definitely glad I did this modification. Much better than a throttle lock and when you do long trips, worth it.
    Works great still and safer than a throttle lock, either brake, clutch or kill switch.

Peregrine's instructions are very detailed and are enough to do the job.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Great! So This is the 3rd CC unit I have installed on a bike, and the first Electronic one. The Vacuum units are smoother. Having said that, the electronic is the way to go for a Connie IMHO. Issues: With Protector over control pad, its a little difficult to engage and It "Surges" at slow speed. It also engages abruptly too. But once set at highway speed. IT'S AWESOME! I would install again.for sure.

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt this for use on a C109R.
    De-badged '08 C109R featuring: GMan Industries Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards and Backrest; Ultimate Seats; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by ace4aday View Post
    If I told.you it is faster to do it on.a.then an m would you believe me? Read my Sig!
    2008 c109rt . wolo air horn, gman tre, gman bully ,kuryakyn cruiser pegs, tsukayu jumbo strong bags ,tsukayu 6x9 bat wing , LED head light, driver backrest, k&n air filters, m109 tach, and electric cruise control ahhh !

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ace4aday View Post

What Bary meant is that it is basically the same install time on a C, and possible easier because he put the Rostra unit where the tool box is, rather than (on the M) under the battery box, which adds extra time.

Brad

That's some serious dedication brother! Sheeeeeeeeeeet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hypermyke View Post
    That's some serious dedication brother! Sheeeeeeeeeeet!

You know what's even more serious? He traded it in for a Victory CC! He's a good friend and yes, he's crazy.

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Default Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install

Quote Originally Posted by Wjduke View Post
    You know what's even more serious? He traded it in for a Victory CC! He's a good friend and yes, he's crazy.
    Gotta tell ya, I'm pretty partial to a CC myself, came really close to putting a deposit on the new Magnum before I got my 9!

Last edited by hypermyke; 01-13-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypermyke View Post
    Gotta tell ya, I'm pretty partial to a CC myself, came really close to putting a deposit on the new Magnum before I got my 9!

He loves his

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Default Rostra Electronic Cruise Control install

I know I'd love it too!! Just don't think I'm quite ready to go full upright tourer just yet, not considering I'm still withdrawing from my ZX14!!

the first time I met Dave "pregrine" was at th MAM in 2013 . I was asking a question or two about how it felt when it would set etc . His reply was the " the keys are in it , go try it "
    as soon as I got home from that MAM I was buying the needed parts to do this . Some of his pics with all those super long length of wires does make it look more intimidating then what it really is . But I have to give him some credit although I was looking across at other bike forums that were doing CC . Dave got it figured out on the how to for the 9

Just another endorsement for this cruise control unit. I couldn't have done it without Peregine's original work. Kudos to him.

It worked flawlessly the first time - holds a set speed on the level, and up hills. The bike is a pleasure to drive on the highway now. This should be a factory fit to every 109.

No adjustments required after installing. Peregrine's switch settings obtained from Rostra are perfect.

I made a bracket to mount the cc switch to the mirror mount.

I mounted the control unit on the side of the battery box, after trimming off the lower 2/3rds of the portion that holds the toolkit. The round thing to the bottom of the control unit is a cigar lighter socket used to power up a wideband I intend to use when I tune the ECU.

I made a few changes to the wiring in order to simplify things.

Photos and wiring diagram are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rostra cruise control model 250-3593 switch.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	294777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rostra cruise control mounting.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	294785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wideband.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	294801  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BillF6531; 11-13-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Bill in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    2012 M109R Limited Edition (VZR1800ZL2), Rifle windshield & lowers, Viking leather-covered hard bags, Rostra electonic cruise control, +3" risers, +3" throttle & clutch cables, +3" front brake lines, LED driving lights, WOLO air horn, and a Woolich Racing ECU tuning package & wideband --- I think the bike is finally perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by BillF6531 View Post
    Just another endorsement for this cruise control unit. I couldn't have done it without Peregine's original work. Kudos to him.

It worked flawlessly the first time - holds a set speed on the level, and up hills. The bike is a pleasure to drive on the highway now. This should be a factory fit to every 109.

No adjustments required after installing. Peregrine's switch settings obtained from Rostra are perfect.

I made a bracket to mount the cc switch to the mirror mount.

I mounted the control unit on the side of the battery box, after trimming off the lower 2/3rds of the portion that holds the toolkit. The round thing to the bottom of the control unit is a cigar lighter socket used to power up a wideband I intend to use when I tune the ECU.

I made a few changes to the wiring in order to simplify things.

Photos and wiring diagram are attached.
    Nice 1 Bill. Just a word of advice...the relays next to the cc unit are upside down-any moisture that gets in there will get straight into them. If you have room and length on the cables, its better that the terminals face downwards man.
    Just trying to help.

Thank you. The relay mounting position is deliberate. If pointing down, they interfere with the side cover attachment. I did consider the downside, however I cannot see how rain or road splash could enter that area. Even the stock wiring connectors in the vicinity are not sealed connections.

2012 M109R Limited Edition (VZR1800ZL2), Rifle windshield & lowers, Viking leather-covered hard bags, Rostra electonic cruise control, +3" risers, +3" throttle & clutch cables, +3" front brake lines, LED driving lights, WOLO air horn, and a Woolich Racing ECU tuning package & wideband --- I think the bike is finally perfect!

Thumbs up

Thank you. The relay mounting position is deliberate. If pointing down, they interfere with the side cover attachment. I did consider the downside, however I cannot see how rain or road splash could enter that area. Even the stock wiring connectors in the vicinity are not sealed connections.
    Fair call man. I knew that was coming

No problem. Post a photo of where and how you mounted your relays. I might learn something and redesign my system.

Very Active Member

Here is a link to the mounted control unit on my M109. 1R made for each of us...the control unit tucks into the indent at the bottom right of the left control box. Almost looks stock.

https://goo.gl/photos/bra9YfKt2Kub4L7t6

Also, would recommend the use of micro-relays rather than the standard relays you buy at an autoparts store. About 1/3 the size.
    But a pack of 5 GM relays from AliExpress for under 20 bucks.

Thanks. I did look at smaller relays, however I couldn't find any with a mounting tab.

Do you have a photo and a link to the relays you used on your installation?

Very Active Member

Thanks. I did look at smaller relays, however I couldn't find any with a mounting tab.

Do you have a photo and a link to the relays you used on your installation?
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...675061258.html
    I didnt use a mount, wires crimped to connectors and shrink tube right up and over connector.

Ali Express, if you add the item to your watch list and wait a few days, you will get a message that 'the item you are watching is available at a lower price'
    5-10%

Here is a 5 pin relay
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...rchweb201560_9
    Last edited by BradSmith; 11-17-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks. I prefer a fixed mount. I'll stick with what I've installed.

Very Active Member

I also did my brothers 02' Road King with this same unit. The hard part is the pulse per minute setting on the box. Once you got that the rest is cake. The only intimidating part is physically running the wires. I left them long until I made sure it tested as working.

Anyone can do this.

My 13' Victory uses the same unit from the factory

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    I also did my brothers 02' Road King with this same unit. The hard part is the pulse per minute setting on the box. Once you got that the rest is cake. The only intimidating part is physically running the wires. I left them long until I made sure it tested as working.

Anyone can do this.

My 13' Victory uses the same unit from the factory

Hey Hey Dave....Hope all is well
    Brad

Default Rostra P/N 250-1223 or Rostra P/N 250-2316

I noticed that you listed a different cruise control module. Is this a typo or does it matter which one I use.
    Thanks, just want clarification before purchasing parts.
    Eric "Plum Crazy" Hopkins
    2nd Thief Riders
    www.2ndThief.org
    Cell 214-448-5218

I noticed that you listed a different cruise control module. Is this a typo or does it matter which one I use.
    Thanks, just want clarification before purchasing parts.
    The 250-2316 is the actual replacement servo that comes in the 250-1223 kit.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    The 250-2316 is the actual replacement servo that comes in the 250-1223 kit.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Eric "Plum Crazy" Hopkins
    2nd Thief Riders
    www.2ndThief.org
    Cell 214-448-5218

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Thanks for the clarification.

Well how's it going? I take it your going to keep the 9 for awhile?

Any thoughts on the meet posted in MC events posted for Vegas, trying to find a time of year for it and a list of those wanting to meet. Don't have to have the 9, could rent or just hang out! Feel free to pipe in on the thread.

Starvos says ways he can do keg stands!

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Very Active Member

Default Photobucket

So Photobucket wants a lot of money to be able to host the pics in the thread.
    I haven't logged into Photobucket in years.

So here is the easy solution

UserID is: peregrine_2007
    Password is: hayabusa

Good luck with the mods

Thanks heaps for the info..
    I grabbed the pictures that I want for this mod.