Cornering .. Lean or stay in center?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cornering .. Lean or stay in center?

Default Cornering .. Lean or stay in center?

I had GSXR750 and I'm used to lean into the pavement to keep the bike angle higher to take corner sharper and faster...

Now, I'm not crazy about taking corners insanely fast and be a rock kill.. But just want to know what the M109R's limit is... And see if I should take corners any different than sport bikes..

so, let me hear it.. "How do you or what's the proper way to do cornering with our great "M019R".

FYI. I have 2011 LE, with 250 rear, and 2" lowered.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I drag my heels in the corners. I stay centered on the bike until my heels touch, then adjust my body into the corner as needed.

-Josh

Very Active Member

It feels like I'm leaning in turns more than I actually am.

I guess, we kind of instinctively lean forward, and point our heads into the turn.

But leaning isn't really necessary when using counter-steering effectively -- and this bike loves counter-steering!

So I ride centered, push on the one side of the handlebar (in the direction of the turn), and let the bike smoothly lean into the corner for me.

The more aggressive the turn, the harder I push, (or in some cases, also pull on the opposite handle) and wait for my boot heel to start making contact with the asphalt.
    Last edited by asviewedfrommars; 03-14-2013 at 03:15 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jakekang View Post
    ... what's the proper way to do cornering with our great "M019R".
    A bike is a bike. No difference when it comes to max cornering so it will benefit getting off the seat a little and getting low and inside. It's all about getting the center of gravity down and into the corner. It takes a big guy to do it because of the arm reach required since our handlebars are so far forward. In fact, the M109R probably needs this more then most bikes because the clearance is so poor. That being said, it looks kinda ridiculous to do this on a big cruiser so I find myself just cornering slower and staying in line with the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    ... I kinda lean body opposite way and bike goes down into the lean easier.
    I don't even know what to say so I'll try to pretend I didn't see it...

lean till the sparks fly...

In my instruction by the MSF, we were told to lean with the bike and use countersteer, which comes by instinct pretty quickly. Only time to sit opposite was on slow tight turns, such as a parking lot. They advise to sit on the opposite side of the seat and lean the bike. Stricly slow speed, tight manuveur(sp).

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHGUY View Post

I agree. I've experimented with leaning in more and it will get you more clearance to go faster but there's only so far you can go with this bike.

Countersteering the only way to take on tbe turns.....

sent from Tigz Galaxy

Very Active Member frankthatsme's Avatar

Hanging off the side going into the turn will help, though it does feel awkward and the amount of extra lean I think is not worth the effort. The lean angle of the bike is limited period. Countersteer, listen to the pegs, when the footpeg bracket starts to grab you will know thats as far as you can go!

I'm 85 Kg with all protective gears on and 1.67 cm.
    I have stock pegs, risers and handlebars on. Seat is modified to have me sitting properly toward the bike tank (as this bike is long and me short ).

This is what I do when approaching curves:

1. Counter-steering.
    2. Leaning in the same direction of the curve.
    3. Pushing a little on the peg which is on the same curve direction.
    4. Pushing with the thigh against the side of the tank opposite to the curve direction, to help the bike lean more easily towards teh curve direction.
    5. Look at the furthest point internal to the curve.

For curves at high speed, I also bring my body more towards the handlebars, advancing the pelvis.
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    I'm 85 Kg with all protective gears on and 1.67 cm.
    Wow, I am not good with conversions, but at 1.67cm. , You might be a little short to be riding such a large bike. I am actually 187.96 cm. tall and ride with a sim. style whenever I do ride agressively.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjduke View Post
    In my instruction by the MSF, we were told to lean with the bike and use countersteer, which comes by instinct pretty quickly. Only time to sit opposite was on slow tight turns, such as a parking lot. They advise to sit on the opposite side of the seat and lean the bike. Stricly slow speed, tight manuveur(sp).
    I agree~ at faster cornering, more I lean into the curve less peg grinding (less bike lean angle). Slow speed.. You lean and fall
    When i feel my pegs grinding in corner, i give a bit more gas and lean deeper so the bike don't need to lean more.. If I lean my bike further down I'll prob end up loose the control..

Anyone have different opinion??

Very Active Member BigStroke109's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asviewedfrommars View Post
    But leaning isn't really necessary when using counter-steering effectively -- and this bike loves counter-steer

Slow speed, lean and fall....sounds familiar.

Looking way ahead in the corner helps you steer into it better. That was mentioned already and was a BIG part of learning to handle a curve. Also, to accelerate out of it. They emphasised that a lot.

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    I drag my heels in the corners. I stay centered on the bike until my heels touch, then adjust my body into the corner as needed.

-Josh
    I also drag my heel in the corner but I have to say it depends on the foot wear. I wear boots 99 percent of the time I ride. I did wear tennis shoes but I found that dragging the heal of tennis shoe is dangerous. Long story short almost got jerked off the bike. I do see a lot of the crotch rocket crowd that wear tennis shoes and ride but the riding position never puts them into this situation. So just as a safety precaution don't do this with tennis shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStroke109 View Post
    i second that

Very Active Member godservant78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMHGUY View Post

There ya go!
    Custom Duck Covers, Kuruakyn Pegs, Signals, Grips, Mirrors, K&N's, Corbin Seat, 160 upgrade.
    Chrome Hub, and polished wheels. Chin Spoiler, and Powder coated mesh grille

Quote Originally Posted by The M View Post

Its called counter steering jimbo.
    True, countersteering works great but I was concerned about how you said you lean opposite the turn. That makes the bike scrape sooner due to moving the CG up and outside the turn instead of lower and more inside.

Its called counter steering jimbo.
    Leaning your body is not counter steering... that's the push of the bars. If you are going into a turn and leaning to the opposite side of your corner you are out of control IMHO.

No offense, ride however you wanna ride

Quote Originally Posted by DizzySpell View Post
    EXTREMELY relevant

My littler brother wants to get his license and the first thing I did was lend him my copies of Twist II, Total Control, and Mastering the Ride... said read these and then we'll talk. If he does I'll know he's serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoof View Post
    Leaning your body is not counter steering... that's the push of the bars. If you are going into a turn and leaning to the opposite side of your corner you are out of control IMHO.

No offense, ride however you wanna ride
    Perfect example of this at 4:50 into the video... Keith removes the bars from turning and as you can see the rider can throw his weight left and right and the bike barely moves.

http://youtu.be/bVWNinsmkAw?t=4m50s

Quote Originally Posted by The M View Post
    Translation: If I make my motorcycle as top heavy as possible, it lays right over on its side without me even trying.
    De-badged '08 C109R featuring: GMan Industries Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards and Backrest; Ultimate Seats; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

You got to know bikes limitations and yours. The faster you're going the more leaning you have to do, counter steering plays a part to. It's hard to put into words, you got to ride and experience it for yourself... Sport bike, cruisers, the physics are still the same as to how you enter and exit a corner for max speed, but bike clearence, weight, steering geometry ect. Is determining a whole lot of what how well you accomplish it. M109 is not a sport bike, ride it like it is and you pay the price. Ride that bad boy and just soak in all that attention you will draw just cruising, forget bout showing off your balls dragging your pipes.

Very Active Member

Wjduke and Schmoof are correct. Counter-steering (with, or without assisted body leaning in the direction of the turn) is used at speeds generally above 30mph, and becomes more effective as speeds increase. Leaning in the opposite direction of the turn is ONLY used during low speed maneuvering (under 10mph), such as turning around on streets or in parking lots. In fact, while making slow turns, it's helpful to lean opposite the turn in order to counter-balance the heavy weight of the motorcycle. Otherwise, you're much more likely to have the bike start to tip over, and you'll have to put one foot down. Leaning in the opposite direction of the turn at low speed feels un-natural, and therefore takes practice. But it's well worth it.
    Last edited by asviewedfrommars; 03-14-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Above a slow speed, the only way a bike turns is by counter steering. You may not be doing it consciously, but you're doing it. It's when you start doing it deliberately that you see how it affects the cornering of the bike.

I lean in a couple different methods. One is just to stick a leg out to the inside to help with cornering. It's not a lot but it does shift the body weight a little to the inside. Same thing with the shoulders, I sometimes just move them over a little. Then if I'm really feeling like cornering, I hang off the seat until I'm almost looking over the grips. It's amazing how much more upright the bike stays, at the same cornering speed, if you use your body a little. Those guys in Moto GP don't ride on the side of the bike just for the looks.

If I want to drag the feelers deliberately to throw some sparks, I just lean to the outside and that moves the bike lean angle away and the pegs drag. You can almost drag them on straight road if you shift enough body weight outward. Kind of funny with the bike going straight but leaning.

Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Very Active Member Deno_n_philly's Avatar

Default Great Video here

Thank you for putting these vids on here. I watched it and they made sense. I would ride my BUSA like that but the M109 is so different at slow speeds. I found this video that shows turning, countersteering and everything... this guy is a good teacher and it shows that at 20 mph that is when pushing on the handlebars takes you in that direction... the only prob I have riding is the slow "RIGHT" turn. Left, I m good, nice and even. I keep feeling like my back tire is going to swing out left on me (fishtail affect) cause its so flat.. alot flatter then my Busa tire... this guys video is helping me with it actually... take a look

How To Ride A Motorcycle - Countersteering And Turning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVa2Ax-Dins

Stay on 2 wheels....