Cornering .. Lean or stay in center? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cornering .. Lean or stay in center?

Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member frankthatsme's Avatar

Hanging off the bike is effective. However in my thinking very tiring especially like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDS4FfzXRzE and on this road! My visit to the dragon was more enjoyable on the other great roads in the area. the dragon was a workout to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Above a slow speed, the only way a bike turns is by counter steering. You may not be doing it consciously, but you're doing it. It's when you start doing it deliberately that you see how it affects the cornering of the bike.

I lean in a couple different methods. One is just to stick a leg out to the inside to help with cornering. It's not a lot but it does shift the body weight a little to the inside. Same thing with the shoulders, I sometimes just move them over a little. Then if I'm really feeling like cornering, I hang off the seat until I'm almost looking over the grips. It's amazing how much more upright the bike stays, at the same cornering speed, if you use your body a little. Those guys in Moto GP don't ride on the side of the bike just for the looks.

If I want to drag the feelers deliberately to throw some sparks, I just lean to the outside and that moves the bike lean angle away and the pegs drag. You can almost drag them on straight road if you shift enough body weight outward. Kind of funny with the bike going straight but leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by asviewedfrommars View Post
    It feels like I'm leaning in turns more than I actually am.

I guess, we kind of instinctively lean forward, and point our heads into the turn.

But leaning isn't really necessary when using counter-steering effectively -- and this bike loves counter-steering!

So I ride centered, push on the one side of the handlebar (in the direction of the turn), and let the bike smoothly lean into the corner for me.

The more aggressive the turn, the harder I push, (or in some cases, also pull on the opposite handle) and wait for my boot heel to start making contact with the asphalt.
    Exactly as I would describe it ( except the " smooth " part )- I just drop it into the corner

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

At the MAM last year was the first time I've encountered a lot of curvey roads and I found it easier to counter steer my way through the turns rather than leaning. It takes less effort, and it's easier to straighten up the bike in the event it's needed...

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Lean way over............stick your leg straight up............grab the footrest with your r/hand ........and you will corner like this pro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94851879-L.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	82030

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Lean way over............stick your leg straight up............grab the footrest with your r/hand ........and you will corner like this pro.

Name:	94851879-L.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	82030
    That was a laugh out loud moment!

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthatsme View Post
    Nice video

And the cruiser bike, is that a Yamaha Warrior? I think that the Warrior is easier to lean than the M109R, as its frame is aluminium ...
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Eat Titanium Clip......

http://vimeo.com/30398038
    Last edited by BING; 03-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    John 10:9

Quote Originally Posted by Tigz View Post
    Countersteering the only way to take on tbe turns.....

sent from Tigz Galaxy
    This pic is awesome ...

By the way, what are those two cylinders with yellow bottom placed just next to the rear fender??
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    This pic is awesome ...

By the way, what are those two cylinders with yellow bottom placed just next to the rear fender??
    NOS bottles

Default Depends on how fast you're going.

I've taken a few Riding Clinics, These pictures are from the Total Control Advance Riding clinic. This is not even the optimal example but I can take turns MUCH faster with leaning into the turn (without scraping). Yes, it feels weird at first and it is not easy, it takes practice but once you have it down. There is not turn that scare you. I suggest you take courses and have professionals teach, just like I have. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Total Control Advance Riding clinic 1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	383720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Total Control Riding Clinic 2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	383722

Default MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) instructors may be of help?

You may want to go online and find out if there are any upcoming MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) classes being held near you...Most often the instructors are off-duty motorcycle Police Officers. Their experience and training can give you some of the answers you're looking for...IF there is ever a Reg Pridmore TRACK DAY class being held at a track near you their instructors are also top of the food chain riders....best of luck

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I was at a Motorcycle Safety outing on Saturday. There was also all the police there on a different course than the rest of us as they have to certify every year. Pretty impressive watching them through the course scraping in very tight turns and feet not leaving the pegs

Default Leaning into the curve

Here's a good example of two pics; one I'm perpendicular to the bike and already hitting the pegs. The exercise is high speed cornering. The other is the same exercise but with a better technique (not perfect) and I'm going at a much higher speed without scraping. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARC 1 Natural.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	383920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARC HIGH 3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	383922

To be truthful, it's hard to lean your body on the M109R. The foot peg placement makes it hard to put weight on your feet so you can move your body around. It's why sport bikes have the pegs directly under, or even behind you (rear sets). On my M1800R, I just stay perpendicular to the bike and counter-steer. It's a heavy bike and counter-steering is quite effective. My B-King, I can stand up on the pegs if need be, so it's easier to lean off the seat a little on that bike. It's quite heavy for what it is, it "only" has a 200 series tire on the back, rake and trail are more sporty, but it has a steering damper, and the bars are real short, so counter-steering isn't quite as effective. So leaning helps. Two different bikes, two different methods of scooting around corners.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Default Knee dragging

It's not that difficult to lean over. It just takes practice and a lot of it. It just depends on how well you want to learn how to handle the bike you're on. Here's a knee-drag on a 109.

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	383946
    Last edited by M109 2019; 06-03-2019 at 04:02 AM.