Anyone know what this is?

Thread: Anyone know what this is?

Default Anyone know what this is?

Hey all! I was doing some clutch adjustment for the first time since i purchased this bike and ran up on this piece I wasn't expecting to be there. I say I wasn't expecting it because I looked at several videos on the subject in preparation of doing it myself and no one else had this present (which had to be removed in my case in order to remove the clutch cover) .

The only thing I could come up with is that it may be something related to the aftermarket exhaust (cobra swept) that was installed on the bike when I purchased it? I know the pics are kinda vague, but I figured anyone who has seen this before may know what it is right of the bat. Thanks all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190727_190033_1564272164643.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	385076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190727_190121_1564275849758.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	385078  

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Its the exhaust control valve actuator.

You don't need it and can snatch it out of there and then plug a ESE (Exhaust Servo Eliminator) into the 2 connectors you unplug this from.

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=222600

BCS

What he said.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

You can download the instructions for your exhaust here on the right side of the screen.

https://cobrausa.com/suzuki/m109r_12...er_swept/3221/
    Last edited by UVATom; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Its the exhaust control valve actuator.

You don't need it and can snatch it out of there and then plug a ESE (Exhaust Servo Eliminator) into the 2 connectors you unplug this from.

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=222600

BCS
    Well that may explain why I didn't see it on any of the videos...thanks!

Have you done this mod? Is there a substantial difference? I'm only asking because i have already put everything back together and not sure I'd go back in if not. The bike runs great and I'm mostly a "if it ain't broke..." kinda guy. Big thanks again for y'alls support...wow!!

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

If it works fine now (although it's not doing anything anymore ) you can leave it. Sometimes the gears in the servo will strip and it might malfunction and throw an FI light, but you could come back to it when that actually happens.

I'm actually more surprised/concerned by the (orange/brown) color of your clutch pressure disc. I'm assuming it's oil. All the clutches I've seen (my own and about a dozen different youtube videos) have always been clean. Was there this much oil on it when you opened it up? Or did you just wipe it with an oily rag? Is it actually oil.. it hard to tell from the image?

Quote Originally Posted by DutchM1800R2 View Post
    If it works fine now (although it's not doing anything anymore [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.m109riders.com/forums/images/smilies/grin.gif[/IMG]) you can leave it. Sometimes the gears in the servo will strip and it might malfunction and throw an FI light, but you could come back to it when that actually happens.

I'm actually more surprised/concerned by the (orange/brown) color of your clutch pressure disc. I'm assuming it's oil. All the clutches I've seen (my own and about a dozen different youtube videos) have always been clean. Was there this much oil on it when you opened it up? Or did you just wipe it with an oily rag? Is it actually oil.. it hard to tell from the image?
    Thanks for reply bud! I'll keep this in mind if I get the FI light and will just leave it as is for now.

Regarding the pressure plate discoloration, I had the same reaction when I opened it up and saw it. It looked to be oil dried up/baked onto the plate, because it was like this when I opened it and would not wipe/scrub off. Not exactly sure what may have happened with previous owner, but upon opening the basket I did notice the outer friction plate (driven plate) was worn down well below the factory specs so I replaced it. No other disc looked worn at all...just the outside one closest to this pressure plate. When I buttoned everything back up, I didnt notice any leaks or anything, so not really sure what happened here. Bike rides/shifts amazing with no shudder or hard shifting at all, so a real head scratcher...

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

Ok cool, as long as you’re aware of it. I’m no expert by any means so I’ll leave it up to the more knowledgable guys on this forum to figure out if the clutch needs any more attention.

Ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by DutchM1800R2 View Post
    Ok cool, as long as you’re aware of it. I’m no expert by any means so I’ll leave it up to the more knowledgable guys on this forum to figure out if the clutch needs any more attention.

Ride safe! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.m109riders.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif[/IMG]
    👍🏽

Default Fi Light Exhaust servo

Take it off. reduces weight and gives you more space around exhaust.

Then replace with Servo Buddy (Revzilla) or similar.

These often fail as the bypass cam provided by exhaust (Cobra or similar) seem to wear out the servo giving you the red Fi light.

Better to switch it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmm109 View Post
    Hey all! I was doing some clutch adjustment for the first time since i purchased this bike and ran up on this piece I wasn't expecting to be there. I say I wasn't expecting it because I looked at several videos on the subject in preparation of doing it myself and no one else had this present (which had to be removed in my case in order to remove the clutch cover) .

The only thing I could come up with is that it may be something related to the aftermarket exhaust (cobra swept) that was installed on the bike when I purchased it? I know the pics are kinda vague, but I figured anyone who has seen this before may know what it is right of the bat. Thanks all!