M109 Rider Forums banner

109 baton pass across America

3M views 3K replies 236 participants last post by  StuporDave 
#1 ·
How about a relay across the country by members of the forum here? The baton consisting of a tube with a piece of paper that contains the name/screen name of every member participating. Has to be done on the bike, not the car.

Starting on one side or the other, a rider or group of riders run a couple hundred miles with the baton, meet with a new rider, enjoy a meet up, have a bite, and a visit. Sign the baton, say good bys and continue on the journey.

Getting a pic of the riders and posting it on the forum telling of their experience for the day.
At the end, the screen names and miles ridden can be posted on the forum.

To even add a little to it could be to put a dime a mile in that you rode into a kitty to be used as a 50/50 raffle among the participants, and the other half going to a charity of some kind.

There doesn’t need to be a time limit since it would take everyone getting a time to meet the next rider along the way.
Could do it going north and south too.

It would be a good excuse to get out and go for a ride and meet someone face to face that you only see on a screen otherwise.

Just wanting to know if there is any interest since there are members here that are all over the place.

See less See more
#39 ·
This Saturday???? LOL We need nice weather for this. The midwest is a sheet of ice LOL...

#38 ·
This would be great advertisement for Suzuki. Do you think any dealers would be willing to sponsor a few rally points, or planned stops at their dealerships along the route(s). By sponsor, I mean donate towards the designated charity. Just a thought.:dontknow:

#41 ·
haha good luck with that. They cheap bastids. I mentioned to my stealer here about my round the USA run and asked if they wanted to do a little sponsoring. They just laughed and went back to their paperwork. Blew me away........

#44 ·
With all due respect this is Luvs2Play idea. I don't think anyone should be printing or organising anything unless they have run it past Dave. It's only fair it was his OP. Plus why not get a list of recipiants across the states and maybe back so it's a little orgainised and people can follow its progress. Lets get some feedback from Luvs2Play

Great idea samdman84. Suzuki Australia I know would be interested in taking part. I have spoken to them recently after our Australian Boulevard meet and they are very keen to take part in promotional ideas.

Luvs2Play Let me know if I can help in this regard

#56 · (Edited)
The name of the map is: M109 Baton 2013
Passcode if asked is: m109riders

Zoom in and browse trough the tabs till you see "additions" scroll to "add marker-simple" and ad your details. I typed my screen name and location. Dunno if is going to work since I am not a GEEK and is my first time (I'm shy when in public :D). So lets hope this can help or wait for a real geek!!!

http://http://www.zeemaps.com/pub?group=484949
gives server not found. Can we have Daves Map to work. Come on i know you geeks are real good at this.:bigthumbsup:

#60 ·
#66 ·
I just moved last month to Hollywood Florida but I would be glad to head back to"Key West" the Southern Most City, in the U.S where I've been living for 30+ years. Would also be willing to head North if I had to to pick up the Baton.

#68 ·
That would be very cool I think it should make it to Key West and photo documented seeing it's the southern most point in US. We can definitely help with getting it down to you and then retrieving it on way back from Key West to send back North.

Marty

#80 ·
Great idea then after we are done make a thread with all pics and stops!!!

#94 ·
I'm on the map, thanks for stepping up and making it possible.

If we start in the north, they can go as soon as the weather permits. The farther south we get, the longer the riding season is. We would be able to keep it going through the late fall and winter if we end up in the south. Who says anything about going in a straight line anyway, it's not like there is a time limit.

Here is another idea I have that would keep the forum from being clogged. How about we start a 109 blog to record progress and post pictures, maybe sticky a thread here linking to it. We could still do it on the forum too, but a blog could be just of the relay and would be permanent.

I have no idea what to use for the baton. It would have to be something that can take some abuse. It could just be posts made somewhere and nothing material.

I'm seeing a lot of good suggestions, anything that several people agree on should just be put into working order here.

Can't wait to see the map filled in!

#96 ·
I'm on the map

i'm ready when warms up:bigthumbsup:

#97 ·
Why not just keep it simple?

Someone start it and ride it to someone within whatever distance you want to drive it. Then that person or persons take it to the next place, could be north,south whatever just contact someone on here, near or far and take it to them. Take a picture put it on the thread and then put the dot on the map of where it's been. The neat part would be watching where it went. There would be no way that you could plan that route. If you are tying a charity to it then I would recommend a smaller national charity that doesn't get a whole lot of media attention or big sponsors already. That way we can make a bigger impact. At one of the Vegas meets I think it was Doberman that did this but they collected the hotel's used toiletries (Shampoos, Conditioner, Soaps,, etc) because veterans were not being provided these at all VA hospitals or something like that. Why not put money towards that smaller charity or something like it for kids or Soldier/veterans? That would be someplace that more feel our giving.

Don't over think this or it will get too complicated and no one will do it. Just take it from one guy/guys and to the next. It's a walk of faith and trust. The guy who currently has it decides where it goes within 1-3 days. Simple as that. That way it forces people to get to know others on the board and where they are from.

Be sure to print it on Card Stock paper and put it in a tube!

Now, get her going!:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.