new speaker sound system prototype. revision 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new speaker sound system prototype. revision 3

Very Active Member

Default new speaker sound system prototype. revision 3

as you guys have all seen, I love my tunes.. my original goal was to build something marketable. well revision one sat way on top the bars. Result, only good behind a vstream. revision 2.. also sat on the bars, but looked a bit mickey mouse-ish without the vstream. now revision 3 is done, and while it has some imperfections and it not ready to be reproduced. I thought I would send out some pictures to get your thoughts.

What you will see is a refabricated narcell, and modded fairing stay, and a new liner. what did all this prototype fab work create? space for a rockford 300 watt RMS amplifier.. 2 6.5 inch Focal component speakers. and still leave room for a HD ballast. what do your really see now? a slightly wider narcell thats pushed forward a bit and down a bit back to stock height and angle. to make sure your lighting is still spot on. finally what would be the benifit to all this change. a stereo you can hear at more than highway speeds, but not change the look of the bike.... MUCH.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2268.jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	75656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	75657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	75658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2272.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	75659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	75660
    more pics on reply post.
    Last edited by 37321; 10-04-2012 at 04:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	75661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2275.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	75662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	75663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	75664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2278.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	75665
    keep in mind this is a rough system, and will get more tweeks to improve a few things and make this a smooth look and direct bolt on application. it already is direct bolt on, but it needs a few things.

oh one more benefit i made in this design was adding secondary mounting locations for use of the vstream if you would like to use it. thats why there are more holes. the bottom two spikes are pending a new spacer to change the angle to allow a better fit.

Sorry man, all those "spikes" remind me of a dog collar. Not feelin the look at all. However, if you like it, that's all that really matters.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

well clearly spikes are a optional look. regular screws would be included as the spikes are threaded into spacers adapters, and the top two were added for my collar appearance. and are not functional holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Sorry man, all those "spikes" remind me of a dog collar. Not feelin the look at all. However, if you like it, that's all that really matters.
    In all fairness B, the spikes aren't the main attraction....don't think they're part of the speaker system! If they are, then I agree! Hey, my bike still has badges and isn't de-beavered, you must love that!

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjduke View Post
    In all fairness B, the spikes aren't the main attraction....don't think they're part of the speaker system! If they are, then I agree! Hey, my bike still has badges and isn't de-beavered, you must love that!
    At least you took off the reflectors but yeah.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Banned

You guys get pretty thirsty over there , or is that an ashtray on the right side of the handle bars . Hmmm spikes !

Nice idea!!!!! That's the best speaker mounting I've seen for a 9. Are you planning on making kits and selling these. I am not someone who cares about having music on when I'm riding but I like the how you accomplished your goal

Very Active Member

First off, ty for staying on topic. Secondly... If i can get the reproduction costs cheap enough after its tweaked, yeah ill be offerin these if i get more interest

I have to say out of the 3 versions you have done I def like this one the best. I like that it is (mostly) concealed and if it can be heard well at highway speed then it's a winner. I do agree that an optional mount other than the spikes should be available. Nice job

Any chance you took pics in the fabrication state. I'd like to see how it got to the finished product.

Very Active Member

I guess i should point out that the bottom two holes are stock locations and could use stock screws. The upper sides have frame supports added purely for vstream mounting and i suppose could also not be drilled for reproduction, as well as the top holes are purely non functional. So in theory if u have no need for windshield mounting which adds a bit more clearance for taller riders for buffeting the unit would look closer to stock

Very Active Member Top Shelf109's Avatar

Default I like this version

I don't care for the spikes but I like the fact it flows with the bike. I would be interested in this version.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTF_5869c0_78795.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	75685  

"You cant argue with my 9mm..........well you can, but you'll end up bleeding alot"
    RUBZERK = Are You BZERK

Looks good, how do they sound pointed down like that? Still pretty clear?
    2007 M109R Pearl White - Mods: Gutted/Debaffled Exhaust, Yana Shiki 2" Bones, TDE TRE, V-Stream Windshield, Debadged, Debeavered, Kury Rear Tails, Tach Relocated, Kury ISO Grips, Kury Transformer Throttle Boss, Baron Bullet Bar Ends, Kury Switchblade Pegs, Cyclehouse Levers, Boulevard Mirrors, Rivco Highway Pegs, Corbin Seat, Metz 240/160. ​RIP

is this an option for those who have relocated the tac to the headlight? I love the idea of having "hidden tunes"

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Any chance you took pics in the fabrication state. I'd like to see how it got to the finished product.
    No i havent and since this is a part i ha hoped to reproduce a a marketable idea i wouldnt see that happening

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by LOFLYR View Post
    Looks good, how do they sound pointed down like that? Still pretty clear?
    Ill be making a video clip shortly

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy450r View Post
    is this an option for those who have relocated the tac to the headlight? I love the idea of having "hidden tunes"
    I believe there can be enough room, ide love to see someones mod or stock version in the bucket... If i could get my hands on the parts or a local rider to let me take a peek, i could probably add a knockout or cut out option to the inner lining.

These are the kind of things i needed to hear to see not only whos interested, but what obsticles and options need to be offered... Before going forward with final model for reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by AWESOME109 View Post
    Nice idea!!!!! That's the best speaker mounting I've seen for a 9. Are you planning on making kits and selling these. I am not someone who cares about having music on when I'm riding but I like the how you accomplished your goal
    Not bad. I like the idea. Dont think would look right with my R2 though. Whats the final size and wattage of each speaker ?
    Posted on my BlackBerry Z30.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    And the modding begins ....... Will it EVER end ?\

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDM76 View Post
    Not bad. I like the idea. Dont think would look right with my R2 though. Whats the final size and wattage of each speaker ?
    You could use this system on a r2, but u would need to purchase a headlight housing and the chrome part of the narcell. Which u prob bought the r2 because u prefered its narcell. As far as specs, rockford 300pbx2 amp... 300 rms 2 channel. With focal 6.5 coax with 160 rms each. These are very clear speakers is why i went with them

Very Active Member

Default December Update

Well ass you guys have seen in another post, my bikes down and doing a few crazy changes.. more coming, but i thought i would update everyone on the speaker chamber revisions. Work and the rest of life slows it down a bit in the custom world for me.. but here goes.

UPDATES: per the feedback:

1. Added the tach into the faceplate (on reproduction this will be a knockout in case you dont want to relocate your tach)
    2. The outer Narcell Replacement will only use factory location style screw holes (yes the two you are used to)
    3. Newest update faceplate is now a sealed inclosure with complete Fairing Stay replacement and headlight locators (you no longer will need to have a metal fairing stay, use of all factory mount locations are used in the new version)
    4. Complete bolt on replacement, just relace the wire looms using the disconnects..and reroute brake line accordingly and sell off your OEM parts

heres a update. since i have been working alot, i havent had a ton of time to work on this. im going to show you the inside of the chamber back which basically locates the headlight eliminating the need for the fairing stay, then i will show you the prefit into the modded narcell which will be a little wider to allow the speaker width, basically it removes that ledge on the side of the headlight and make a continuous flow. i will also show you the addition of the mount lower tree bracket thats been reinforced for strength. and you will also see the basic first sand, and fitment. theres a bit more to do with final smooth and fill, and to shape the mount bracket, and then add the top support locators.. and drill the holes in the notched out area for the wiring. but its getting close to be able to have a mold made, i just need to make those final parts and make sure it road tests great , then its ready for reproduction.

coming along nice, can't wait to see finished product. Be so cool to have hidden tunes

Looks really good, looking forward to seeing the final product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R Pearl White - Mods: Gutted/Debaffled Exhaust, Yana Shiki 2" Bones, TDE TRE, V-Stream Windshield, Debadged, Debeavered, Kury Rear Tails, Tach Relocated, Kury ISO Grips, Kury Transformer Throttle Boss, Baron Bullet Bar Ends, Kury Switchblade Pegs, Cyclehouse Levers, Boulevard Mirrors, Rivco Highway Pegs, Corbin Seat, Metz 240/160. ​RIP

count me in for one when your done
    Robert Booty

"I WOULD RATHER BE AN OPEN SINNER THAN A FALSE SAINT"

I am way snobby with speakers and sound in general *disclaimer*. Good sound is subjective I know and I don't want to threadjack. BUT...I am wondering if you modeled the speakers/enclosure? I am just wondering because I have heard motorcycle stereos that sound like 3 cats, 1 monkey, and squirrel fighting over rocks in a garbage can.

The nerd inside of me thinks there is potential and starts dreaming of resonating frequencies and the inefficiencies of sealed enclosures (more power more power more power). I like the concept, just wondering how it sounds and if there was any techy stuff behind what you are doing. Very cool project BTW.

[QUOTE=AZDRAGON;1713818]I am way snobby with speakers and sound in general *disclaimer*. Good sound is subjective I know and I don't want to threadjack. BUT...I am wondering if you modeled the speakers/enclosure? I am just wondering because I have heard motorcycle stereos that sound like 3 cats, 1 monkey, and squirrel fighting over rocks in a garbage can.

Just moved my tach from the bars to the light housing...it's only money I guess. How's the sound at highway speed?

Had to look at the pics twice before I saw the speakers. Think it looks nice. Like several others though. Not fond of the spikes.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZDRAGON View Post
    I am way snobby with speakers and sound in general *disclaimer*. Good sound is subjective I know and I don't want to threadjack. BUT...I am wondering if you modeled the speakers/enclosure? I am just wondering because I have heard motorcycle stereos that sound like 3 cats, 1 monkey, and squirrel fighting over rocks in a garbage can.

The nerd inside of me thinks there is potential and starts dreaming of resonating frequencies and the inefficiencies of sealed enclosures (more power more power more power). I like the concept, just wondering how it sounds and if there was any techy stuff behind what you are doing. Very cool project BTW.
    ill address this as simple as i can so most will understand. Freeair mounting in our applications are impractical due to relativey no mounting space to separate the audio. What does this mean? In a trunk of a car its considered freeair as there is only a panel separating the speakers and a trunk providing a not truely sealed enclusure. Now onto the reason for needing a enclosure on our motorcycles? 1. Attempting to use a plate for free air proved to be not enough surface separation causing popping if u used any mid to low range frequencies. Hence the reason most batwing or small bar mount systems sound very tinny as your post implies. So now ive have painstakenly designed a application that will utilize the space and have secondary functions that will allow the speaker to have a chamber. This chamer will allow for more power clearly as sealed enclosures do require more power to drive the speakers but also allow for a crisper response. Now i know te chamber size wont be spec for running subs and thats not its intended purpose.... If u want low low end plan on har saddle bags and bigger class d amps and a larger stator basket and probably a cap and additinal battery. Once i can test this as i said worst case ill need to use pollyfill to trick the speakers that they are in a larger cabinet. Or the possibilty i could dow fire port tune the chamber but none of that makes this reproduceable in a affordable product because that would require me to suply each amp and speaker pair and tune them specifically for their proper ohm readings and frequency tune.

Very Active Member

[QUOTE=WineNine;1713824]
    Quote Originally Posted by AZDRAGON View Post

Just moved my tach from the bars to the light housing...it's only money I guess. How's the sound at highway speed?
    When injad this just as the plate i could only run lower power to it but at that it ws clear with a full face around 80-90mph. Ill know more after my backs back together and can test the chambered version. Without a helmet my dumbo ears catch a bunch of wind but u can still make out the music. And of course if u run a windshield you will hear alot more. My group loves when i ride with them as no one uses headsets any longer when im around