Thread: 280

Default 280

wats up guys trying to find out if u can put a 280 or 300 on my 2006 109 i had a blow out today i had a 260 on it also im lookn for a fairing

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Q: Does a 280mm tire, fit on a stock rim?
    A: Yes, but as per the tire manufactor, it is NOT recommended. There are a few guys that run it without a problem, but lets face it, you wouldn't put 33" BF Goodrich Mudders, on your Civic... would you? Sure you can make them fit, but it's not recommended!
    The largest tire that can be SAFELY mounted on a stock rim is a Metzler 260, a Dunlop 250, or Avon 250. Before you ignore me, and listen to someone who does not have a clue, please take the time to read this! If you're considering a 280 on stock rim... read this (UPDATED 7/03 More Pics)

and to the forum.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

Don't knock it if you never tried it. If you do run it, you have to be smarter then the tire.

Don't lessen to people who have never tired it the right way. If you do run it, run up around 50 psi and up depending on weight to stop the funky ware on the edge of the tire. The reason for that is lack of air the tire gives under pressure.

Never felt more comfie on the corners using the 280 on the stocker. If you like eating up the corners its the way to go.

It makes me laugh. They talk about people not knowing what there talking about when they have never had the setup. lol. I ran that set up for over five years. I'm still here.

I'm not supporting Metz anymore. Two rear tires a year was a little much for me.

I'm running a car tire now. I'm looking at at least 30,000 out of the tire.
    Its not the 280. It will be a big savings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear tire.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	75116

Here's my tire after 9,000 miles. No funky ware. Guess i'm smarter then the tire.

Dave
    Last edited by She's real fine my 109; 09-24-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

But are you smarter then the average bear?

Looking at the thread Ryan posted, and the pics of the width measurements, IMO, it's a waste of money, you gain a 1/16th of an inch in width. For the difference in cost of the 250 to the 280, just not worth the extra dough or the safety.

waits for Dave's retort.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

The Elite 3 Is wider mounted than the 260 metz mounted. It is half the price of a 280 metz and you get twice the mileage. Just dont do it!!! I got the Metz 280 on a 10" rim and I got 4000 miles out of it.!!! Im about to by My 3rd 280. I bought this 9 July 2011,
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

Fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by She's real fine my 109 View Post
    Don't LESSEN to people who have never TIRED it the right way.
    This should be all you need to know about a 280 on a stock rim.

Default 280

I have 10,600 on the 280. Riding crazy will kill you faster then the size of this tire will. I will never go back to the stock size. Keep it properly inflated and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by famous View Post
    I have 10,600 on the 280. Riding crazy will kill you faster then the size of this tire will. I will never go back to the stock size. Keep it properly inflated and you will be fine.
    LOL dude, you've been a member here for 6 years w/ 4 posts. What are ya doin w/ yourself?
    So does that mean you're running a 280 on a stock rim?

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Its it really worth your life for 1/16 of an inch bigger look.to each his own.my suggestion is do it the right way.280 on a 10" rim.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    CHRISPIN

Running the 280 on the stock rim is do-able but not recommend as a good idea for safety reasons. I personally ran that setup and loved it except you get crap for wear low milage out of it which is why I went with the E3. You get alittle bit more in width which if that's the reason you doing it I would say you'd be better off with the E3 250 or metz 260. Now with that said there is one other imo advantage to the 280 and that is a more rounded profile. So in effect it is a taller tire. To me the bike handled much better in turns. It allowed the bike to drop into a turn much smother and it just felt solid if that makes any sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Running the 280 on the stock rim is do-able but not recommend as a good idea for safety reasons. I personally ran that setup and loved it except you get crap for wear low milage out of it which is why I went with the E3. You get alittle bit more in width which if that's the reason you doing it I would say you'd be better off with the E3 250 or metz 260. Now with that said there is one other imo advantage to the 280 and that is a more rounded profile. So in effect it is a taller tire. To me the bike handled much better in turns. It allowed the bike to drop into a turn much smother and it just felt solid if that makes any sense!
    Rick, are you saying the 280 is taller them the E3 250? If yes, I must disagree.
    280/10" on the left, 250 E3/8.5 on the right. Checked the specs on the tires, said the 280 was 3/4" shorter

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Rick, are you saying the 280 is taller them the E3
    No B I was more or less trying to describe the tire stance/look. I would say the E3's profile isn't as rounded imo. You can clearly see the metz has a more rounded profile and that's on a 10" wheel, take an 1 1/2" out of that and I'm sure you could see what I'm trying to describe.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 09-30-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    No B I was more or less trying to describe the tire stance/look. I would say the E3's profile isn't as rounded imo. You can clearly see the metz has a more rounded profile and that's on a 10" wheel, take an 1 1/2" out of that and I'm sure you could see what I'm trying to describe.
    Oh ok, I wasn't sure that's why I asked.