M109 Rider Forums banner

Stebel Air Horn Wiring diagrams the easy way. 3 versions

29K views 66 replies 28 participants last post by  Pockets 
#1 · (Edited)
OK guys after 4 years I finally got around to wiring a Bad Boy Air Horn on my bike. I've installed about 30 now for a few friends and riders by disconnecting the stock horn connector then running wires back up from the connector to trigger a relay I supplied 12 volts to inside the headlight nacelle. I figured there has got to be an easier way so I tried just tapping the horn wire from the horn switch black with blue tracer wire but it rest at ground and would trigger the horn with the key off. Well being this was my bike I took my time looked over the schematic and figured it out. So now you don't have to catch the wires from the horn connector you can catch the trigger wires from the headlight nacelle. Still have to run a power wire from the battery but hey this is easier.

You can do the following by wiring the way stated.
Air Horn Only: Cut the black wire with blue tracer. Tape off wire going to Horn. Connect switch side of wire to terminal 86 of relay.This will eliminate the stock horn with out disconnecting the harness from it.

Air Horn and Stock Horn:In my case I installed in the stock horn location a high output electric car horn. A pain in the A$$ to squeeze it in but I'm happy with it even more now with the added air horn. Just tap black wire with blue tracer.

Air Horn or Stock Horn via Switch: See Diagram Below

No Matter what you do this will remain the same
You can connect the 85 terminal of the relay to the orange with green tracer wire (it's the same wire that goes to the horn)going to the Tachometer.It also feeds the start switch and speedometer. It's inside the headlight nacelle. No need to go all the way to the horn and fish wires back up.

For your Battery power wire running to the Relay,Air Horn, and Ground please use a minimum 14 AWG wire. Fuse it with a 25 AMP fuse at the battery.

Diagrams
Air Horn Only
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=366&attachmentid=75067

Air Horn with Stock Horn.Both on at same time.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=366&attachmentid=75066
with switch to turn air horn off or on .
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=366&attachmentid=75098

Air Horn with Stock Horn Switched. Either or.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=366&attachmentid=75068

Hope this helps you guys out. Enjoy and Ride Safe! :bigthumbsup:

See less See more
#6 ·
Dumb Questions

Ok ... Not finding a Stebel, I bought a Euroblast horn that looks identical. Except - it's chromed.
It's supposed to deliver 140+ decibels. I hope it's a good unit.
After reading all I could find here - it looks like there are only two good locations for the horn.
Either the headlight housing, or the right side cover. And both require a wire run under the tank.
So ... after due consideration - I think it'll be in the headlight housing. I hope it's still loud enough. (a semi almost got me a few days back - pulled over on me. Glad the 109 has a ton of power!)
Now for my questions;
Is there a good mounting place inside the housing? Does a bracket need to be fabricated?
And, most important .... Is there a place in the headlight housing to pick up the needed 12 volt supply (which can be switched), without running a wire back to the battery (which is on all the time)?

And BTW ... A big THANK YOU to all of you on the M109riders forum!! :bigthumbsup:
This forum is a big help to me.:bow:

#8 ·
Ok ... Not finding a Stebel, I bought a Euroblast horn that looks identical. Except - it's chromed.
It's supposed to deliver 140+ decibels. I hope it's a good unit.
After reading all I could find here - it looks like there are only two good locations for the horn.
Either the headlight housing, or the right side cover. And both require a wire run under the tank.
So ... after due consideration - I think it'll be in the headlight housing. I hope it's still loud enough. (a semi almost got me a few days back - pulled over on me. Glad the 109 has a ton of power!)
Now for my questions;
Is there a good mounting place inside the housing? Does a bracket need to be fabricated?
And, most important .... Is there a place in the headlight housing to pick up the needed 12 volt supply (which can be switched), without running a wire back to the battery (which is on all the time)?

And BTW ... A big THANK YOU to all of you on the M109riders forum!! :bigthumbsup:
This forum is a big help to me.:bow:
The info on the wiring was given in the first post. You can just lay the horn in the upper part of the nacelle and secure it w/ a tie wrap if you're so inclined.

#7 ·
Thanks! Will make this weekends install much easier! :bigthumbsup:

#9 ·
Thanks to the information in this thread I was able to wire up my horn without any difficulties. Thanks everyone!!:D

#12 ·
Robert,
very nice schematic drawing and easy to follow instructions. But, I just installed my stebel, hooked it up according to the stebel-only schematic, but horn does not work. The relay clicks every time i press the horn button, but nothing out of stebel. I hooked multimeter to stebel and its circuit seems okay. I rechecked all the connections and they seem very tight. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

#15 ·
As ugly as that nacelle is, it sure does come in handy for you M guys.

#25 ·
Switched relay and get same thing horn on when bike switched on. Also before hooking up power I get the relay start to clicking without power to Wolo horn. Scratched a bald spot in my head. Lol.
About to have dinner at the moment but you say cut in your original post. What did you cut for both horns? My diagram does not recommend cutting anything for both.

Let me know I'll check in later tonight.

Thanks
Robert

#28 ·
Can't figure this thing out. Verified wiring taps yet again, switch on bike without power to Wolo and still get relay clicking. Then hook power to Wolo and instantly get Wolo horn blowing without pressing horn switch. Next step is to replace Wolo.

#33 ·
Gday fellas. I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted some idea as to where everyone picked up the earth for the air horn when mounted behind the headlight. Did you run an earth back to the battery, or is there somewhere on the triple trees to earth from? Is it ok to earth from here, or would that send power through the steering stem bearings and damage them? Thanks in advance.

#34 ·
I grabbed mine right in the headlight bucket 12mm bolt on each side towards the bottom corners.

#35 · (Edited)
I finished installing my second Stebel on the bike
a couple of days ago , took a lot of time , had to take
both horns apart to put only the horns in the nacelle ,
and then look for room to put the small compressors
Air Ride so most of the room is taken , but I have
found some room behind the lower chrome covers
and in the groove of the right side cover , because
of the Air Ride manifold I could not fit the second
compressor in the groove of the left side cover .
I was wondering thru the whole thing if it was worth it
thinking maybe 2 identical horns would just sound the same
BUT IT DID NOT , :D It is LOUDER .... Success ...
Bring the air from the compressors ,to the horns ,
with a plastic hose 5/16 I.D. tricky to fish this under the gas tank .

Attachments

#37 ·
Quick question

I'm following the wiring diagram for "both horns". Before splicing any wires I checked the blk/blu wire with a test light to see if its energized when horn button is pressed, and found it to be hot with key on. Test light Does go off when button is pressed (blowing stock horn). I've checked all other wires coming from left controls and none in that loom change when pressing button.
If I wire it up per diagram, I'll have the same problem Quepsiphi18 had.
What am I doing wrong?

#38 · (Edited)
I'm following the wiring diagram for "both horns". Before splicing any wires I checked the blk/blu wire with a test light to see if its energized when horn button is pressed, and found it to be hot with key on. Test light Does go off when button is pressed (blowing stock horn). I've checked all other wires coming from left controls and none in that loom change when pressing button.
If I wire it up per diagram, I'll have the same problem Quepsiphi18 had.
What am I doing wrong?
The "Hot Wire" to the stock horn is energized (12vdc+) when the ignition is turned on.

The horn button is actually making (closing) the "Negative wire" (12vdc-) to your stock horn when you push the button.

So you can wire your Stebel horn relay the same way.

If you attach the + and - from your stock horn to your sebel relay coil then the relay coil will become energized when you press the button and close the really contact closing the new circuit that you ran through the relay contacts to your stebel horn.

If you are reading this and still scratching your head then please draw out you circuit the way you perceive it so we can have a look and put you on the right path.

If I get time I will make a drawing and post it up.

BCS

#39 · (Edited)
Sparky is right , stock horn has + all the time , and when you press the handlebar button
you then add the ground ,
you need a 25Amp fuse for each air horn ,
you need a relay for each air horn ,
trigger both relays with spliced black wire /blue line , feeding terminal 86 on relays
any orange wire with green line you can find to terminal 85 on relays

when this is triggered , the bigger juice will pass from terminals 30 to 87 .

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
OK, without going into my background of being a CNC tech, let me just say that I understand wiring and relays. And I understand that pressing the horn button completes the circuit to the stock horn. I was trying to keep my question brief, thinking maybe someone else had already run into this problem and that there was an easy answer.

Sparky, you said horn button is wired on negative side, but diagram shows its on positive.?
And instead of running wires from stock horn to relay, I'd like to keep everything inside the headlight housing if possible.

Just to clarify. Everything is in place and ready to go. The air horn and relay is in behind the headlight, the 14 ga 25 amp fused hot wire from battery is routed, and all thats left is to tap into the org/grn and blk/blu wires for post 85 & 86 of relay, like diagram shows.
Now, again. If I wire it per diagram, as soon as I turn on the key, the blk/blu wire will become hot, energizing the relay, which will complete the circuit to the air horn, thus causing it to blow.
I'm no stranger to having brain farts, but I know I can't wire it that way. What am I overlooking?

(Put headlight back on and will revisit when Cyclops bulb comes in. So anyone reading this that wants to comment, it'll be a few days before I tear it back apart.)

#42 · (Edited)
Not sure what diagram you are looking at but I can assure you that the wiring diagram for the M109R shows that 12vdc - (negative) is what is switched through the horn button.

The reason you read 12vdc + on the B/Bl wire when not pushing the button is because you are reading this though the horn.
There is 12vdc + on one side of the horn when ever the ignition is turned on.
When you push the horn button it closes a N/O contact, 12vdc - is then applied to the other terminal on the horn and the horn blows.
If you have one lead of you tester on the B/BL wire and the other on ground (frame or neg wire) you will read voltage, but when you press the horn button and close the contact on the switch now both of your tester leads will be at the same potential and you will read 0 volts.

BCS

#44 · (Edited)
for Pockets , written in first post of this very thread , by Robert May , 5th paragraph ,
"" It's inside the headlight nacelle. No need to go all the way to the horn and fish wires back up.""
all the needed wires are inside the headlight nacelle ....
more info in that first post guys .

#49 · (Edited)
Good stuff Sparky , very important , helps fix my bad or incomplete info ,
All my grounds originate from the same place , one of those goes to the nacelle area.
it would be much cleaner looking to have a " Fuzeblock " install , just adding stuff over the years
gave this mess ..... maybe next winter ,,,,

Attachments

#51 ·
Assuming your wiring has been done correctly, maybe you have a bad relay? I installed a Denali air horn and used the Denali harness. I could not get it to work. I went over the wiring and connections half a dozen times but could not find the problem. I went to Canadian Tire and purchased a new relay, swapped it in and that did the trick.

#53 ·
Some people have had the horn go bad being placed by the radiator. The best place in my opinion is in the headlight bucket or using a bracket mounting it under the side over which placed the horn behind the rear wheel. I ran mine there for 8 years until I sold my bike. It people place other mods there so the headlight bucket is really the ideal place in my opinion. 99.9% of the plug and play harnesses I have made are for the headlight bucket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.