Thread: Stebel Air Horn Wiring diagrams the easy way. 3 versions

Quote Originally Posted by "Hunter" View Post
    between the engine block and the radiator above the cooling fan
    Thank you, Hunter!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Do not use the wiring diagram saying blue wire. Maybe I didn't read it correctly but the blue wire that looks like it is for the the original horn is actually for the radiator fan, not the horn. Maybe for different year? Anyway I followed the diagram and it didn't work and messed around further to see the Blue and Black are radiator fan. Works great now wiring wise. The Stebel horn connection from the compressor to the horn sucked for me. Sounded like crap until I compressed the two together, then sounded like I thought it should. So tomorrow will be using silicone on that connection and a large stainless hose clamp to compress and hold the two parts together

Good catch Flying Circus ,
    where it says blue wire in the install instructions by Hunter ,
    should have said BLACK with blue line
    unless he meant the other wire ( orange wire with blue line ). confusing instruction ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airhorn  Simple  wiring.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	383912  
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 05-26-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I got a dud. Sounded like there was an air leak due to the sound. But when I pressed down on the top round piece it was how it is supposed to sound. So I siliconed around the joint from compressor to the plastic diaphragms. Tried it again today and still sounded like crap until I put pressure on the inside round top area and then it worked properly. So I had to MacGyver it using a 4" duct clamp with a nut underneath to put pressure on the top and works perfectly. My Siamese twin Murphy was messing with me obviously. I just want to get bike back together as it's gonna nice and warm this week.

"Hunter"
    Suzuki M1800R - no rules great fun

Quote Originally Posted by "Hunter" View Post
    So glad the install went well. Did you add the inline fuse? I commented on your video, but not sure if you would be notified from YouTube. Happy HONKING!
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Not sure what diagram you are looking at but I can assure you that the wiring diagram for the M109R shows that 12vdc - (negative) is what is switched through the horn button.

The reason you read 12vdc + on the B/Bl wire when not pushing the button is because you are reading this though the horn.
    There is 12vdc + on one side of the horn when ever the ignition is turned on.
    When you push the horn button it closes a N/O contact, 12vdc - is then applied to the other terminal on the horn and the horn blows.
    If you have one lead of you tester on the B/BL wire and the other on ground (frame or neg wire) you will read voltage, but when you press the horn button and close the contact on the switch now both of your tester leads will be at the same potential and you will read 0 volts.

BCS
    Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on here for awhile.
    Sparky you were right. What threw me was I was checking the blu/blk wire to a ground source, reading voltage. Not thinking it had to go through horn switch. I wired it up shortly after your post and everything work fine.
    Thanks again