Stebel Air Horn Wiring diagrams the easy way. 3 versions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stebel Air Horn Wiring diagrams the easy way. 3 versions

Quote Originally Posted by Quepsiphi18 View Post
    Thanks Awesome109! You hit the nail on the head. Tapped into wrong wire for horn switch.
    Glad you found it. Now get out there and start scaring the heck out of those cagers with your new horn

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Yep one of the wires rest at ground with the key off therefore triggering the relay.

Thanks AWESOME109 for jumping in . My real job is trying to kill me right now.

Gday fellas. I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted some idea as to where everyone picked up the earth for the air horn when mounted behind the headlight. Did you run an earth back to the battery, or is there somewhere on the triple trees to earth from? Is it ok to earth from here, or would that send power through the steering stem bearings and damage them? Thanks in advance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Gday fellas. I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted some idea as to where everyone picked up the earth for the air horn when mounted behind the headlight. Did you run an earth back to the battery, or is there somewhere on the triple trees to earth from? Is it ok to earth from here, or would that send power through the steering stem bearings and damage them? Thanks in advance.
    I grabbed mine right in the headlight bucket 12mm bolt on each side towards the bottom corners.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

I finished installing my second Stebel on the bike
    a couple of days ago , took a lot of time , had to take
    both horns apart to put only the horns in the nacelle ,
    and then look for room to put the small compressors
    Air Ride so most of the room is taken , but I have
    found some room behind the lower chrome covers
    and in the groove of the right side cover , because
    of the Air Ride manifold I could not fit the second
    compressor in the groove of the left side cover .
    I was wondering thru the whole thing if it was worth it
    thinking maybe 2 identical horns would just sound the same
    BUT IT DID NOT , It is LOUDER .... Success ...
    Bring the air from the compressors ,to the horns ,
    with a plastic hose 5/16 I.D. tricky to fish this under the gas tank .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compressor fitting at bottom.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	273242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compressor inside right cover.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	273250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sitting on rubber matt.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	273258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stuff to work4.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	273266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partiel Nacelle.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	273274  

Last edited by Kazimodo; 07-06-2015 at 01:13 AM.
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Default Qick thought

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post

Maybe there is a way to hook up the horns to an air ride pressurised side,
    and forget the OEM horn compressors.....Just a thought..
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Default Quick question

I'm following the wiring diagram for "both horns". Before splicing any wires I checked the blk/blu wire with a test light to see if its energized when horn button is pressed, and found it to be hot with key on. Test light Does go off when button is pressed (blowing stock horn). I've checked all other wires coming from left controls and none in that loom change when pressing button.
    If I wire it up per diagram, I'll have the same problem Quepsiphi18 had.
    What am I doing wrong?

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    I'm following the wiring diagram for "both horns". Before splicing any wires I checked the blk/blu wire with a test light to see if its energized when horn button is pressed, and found it to be hot with key on. Test light Does go off when button is pressed (blowing stock horn). I've checked all other wires coming from left controls and none in that loom change when pressing button.
    What am I doing wrong?
    The "Hot Wire" to the stock horn is energized (12vdc+) when the ignition is turned on.

The horn button is actually making (closing) the "Negative wire" (12vdc-) to your stock horn when you push the button.

So you can wire your Stebel horn relay the same way.

If you attach the + and - from your stock horn to your sebel relay coil then the relay coil will become energized when you press the button and close the really contact closing the new circuit that you ran through the relay contacts to your stebel horn.

If you are reading this and still scratching your head then please draw out you circuit the way you perceive it so we can have a look and put you on the right path.

If I get time I will make a drawing and post it up.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 04-20-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Sparky is right , stock horn has + all the time , and when you press the handlebar button
    you then add the ground ,
    you need a 25Amp fuse for each air horn ,
    you need a relay for each air horn ,
    trigger both relays with spliced black wire /blue line , feeding terminal 86 on relays
    any orange wire with green line you can find to terminal 85 on relays

when this is triggered , the bigger juice will pass from terminals 30 to 87 .

Name:	air horn wiring diagram.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	383910  
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:22 PM.

What am I doing wrong?
    Why splice any wires? It can create different issues and more places to have problems. There are true plug and play kits out there. And not just ones that give you a box of materials but a truly built harness.
    Last edited by rynosback; 04-20-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

OK, without going into my background of being a CNC tech, let me just say that I understand wiring and relays. And I understand that pressing the horn button completes the circuit to the stock horn. I was trying to keep my question brief, thinking maybe someone else had already run into this problem and that there was an easy answer.

Sparky, you said horn button is wired on negative side, but diagram shows its on positive.?
    And instead of running wires from stock horn to relay, I'd like to keep everything inside the headlight housing if possible.

Just to clarify. Everything is in place and ready to go. The air horn and relay is in behind the headlight, the 14 ga 25 amp fused hot wire from battery is routed, and all thats left is to tap into the org/grn and blk/blu wires for post 85 & 86 of relay, like diagram shows.
    Now, again. If I wire it per diagram, as soon as I turn on the key, the blk/blu wire will become hot, energizing the relay, which will complete the circuit to the air horn, thus causing it to blow.
    I'm no stranger to having brain farts, but I know I can't wire it that way. What am I overlooking?

(Put headlight back on and will revisit when Cyclops bulb comes in. So anyone reading this that wants to comment, it'll be a few days before I tear it back apart.)
    Last edited by Pockets; 04-20-2019 at 07:07 PM.

OK, without going into my background of being a CNC tech, let me just say that I understand wiring and relays. And I understand that pressing the horn button completes the circuit to the stock horn. I was trying to keep my question brief, thinking maybe someone else had already run into this problem and that there was an easy answer.

Sparky, you said horn button is wired on negative side, but diagram shows its on positive.?
    And instead of running wires from stock horn to relay, I'd like to keep everything inside the headlight housing if possible.

Just to clarify. Everything is in place and ready to go. The air horn and relay is in behind the headlight, the 14 ga 25 amp fused hot wire from battery is routed, and all thats left is to tap into the org/grn and blk/blu wires for post 85 & 86 of relay, like diagram shows.
    Now, again. If I wire it per diagram, as soon as I turn on the key, the blk/blu wire will become hot, energizing the relay, which will complete the circuit to the air horn, thus causing it to blow.
    I'm no stranger to having brain farts, but I know I can't wire it that way. What am I overlooking?

(Put headlight back on and will revisit when Cyclops bulb comes in. So anyone reading this that wants to comment, it'll be a few days before I tear it back apart.)
    Not sure what diagram you are looking at but I can assure you that the wiring diagram for the M109R shows that 12vdc - (negative) is what is switched through the horn button.

The reason you read 12vdc + on the B/Bl wire when not pushing the button is because you are reading this though the horn.
    There is 12vdc + on one side of the horn when ever the ignition is turned on.
    When you push the horn button it closes a N/O contact, 12vdc - is then applied to the other terminal on the horn and the horn blows.
    If you have one lead of you tester on the B/BL wire and the other on ground (frame or neg wire) you will read voltage, but when you press the horn button and close the contact on the switch now both of your tester leads will be at the same potential and you will read 0 volts.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 04-20-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Not sure what diagram you are looking at but I can assure you that the wiring diagram for the M109R shows that 12vdc - (negative) is what is switched through the horn button.

The reason you read 12vdc + on the B/Bl wire when not pushing the button is because you are reading this though the horn.
    There is 12vdc + on one side of the horn when ever the ignition is turned on.
    When you push the horn button it closes a N/O contact, 12vdc - is then applied to the other terminal on the horn and the horn blows.
    If you have one lead of you tester on the B/BL wire and the other on ground (frame or neg wire) you will read voltage, but when you press the horn button and close the contact on the switch now both of your tester leads will be at the same potential and you will read 0 volts.

BCS
    BCS pretty much nailed it there.
    The Horn button completes the negative side of the circuit.

If you're using a test light to check the O/G and B/BL wires at the Horn itself, the readings will vary if the connector is plugged in or not.
    With the Horn plugged in and Ignition ON, both wires at the Horn will show 12v...then press the Horn button and the O/G will show 12v and the B/BL with show 0v...as 12v's was dropped across the load (the Horn).
    Unplug the Horn and turn the Ignition ON, the O/G wire with have 12v and the B/BL will have 0v. Connect the test light to the battery positive and touch the B/BL terminal and it will still be 0v...then press the Horn button and it will read 12v.

The only reason you found the O/G and B/BL hot while testing them is because the connector was plugged into the Horn...but in reality the test light is providing the Ground, which the Horn button will do when pressed, and only when pressed.

If you disconnect the Horn and have 12v at both the O/G and B/BL wires with the Ignition ON, then you have a wiring problem that needs to be fixed before you continue.

Admittedly this setup is backwards to most cars where the Horn is on the negative side of the circuit and the Horn button actually triggers the positive side.
    In these situations the Horn has 1 wire, and is Grounded through it's body to where it's bolted to the chassis of the car.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

for Pockets , written in first post of this very thread , by Robert May , 5th paragraph ,
    "" It's inside the headlight nacelle. No need to go all the way to the horn and fish wires back up.""
    all the needed wires are inside the headlight nacelle ....
    more info in that first post guys .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 04-20-2019 at 11:49 PM.

for Pockets , written in first post of this very thread , by Robert May , 5th paragraph ,
    "" It's inside the headlight nacelle. No need to go all the way to the horn and fish wires back up.""
    all the needed wires are inside the headlight nacelle ....
    more info in that first post guys .
    Except for a power wire for the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    TRUE ...
    how quickly I forget ..... I took batt 12 volts to the nacelle in 2008 ,
    and expect it to be there for everybody else too .....

Although some may see it as a bit “overkill” I really like the idea of running two Stebel Horns on the 9. I have one on my Crushed Chrome 9, but I may have another one added, and have two installed on my 07’ model.

Thanks for that idea Kazimodo.

Also don't forget that the negative wire carries current as well, so don't run a new 12vdc+ wire from the battery and then try to tag onto a negative wire for the lights in the headlight bucket......you may overload the wire.

If you plan to terminate the negative power wire from your horn to the frame (metal) don't do this in headlight bucket, take the wire out to a solid point on the frame.
    The front end of the bike is resting on bearings.....you do not want to run current through these bearings.
    I cant remember if Suzuki has a bond wire from the frame to front end or not so just wanted to point this out as most never give this a though.

Best thing to add to your bike for accessories it a Fuzeblocks makes your installations neat and tidy and helps to eliminate the rats nest found on most motorcycles due to aftermarket wiring.

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblock...Block_p_1.html

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 04-21-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Good stuff Sparky , very important , helps fix my bad or incomplete info ,
    All my grounds originate from the same place , one of those goes to the nacelle area.
    it would be much cleaner looking to have a " Fuzeblock " install , just adding stuff over the years
    gave this mess ..... maybe next winter ,,,,

Name:	All grounds.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	383402  
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 04-21-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Also don't forget that the negative wire carries current as well, so don't run a new 12vdc+ wire from the battery and then try to tag onto a negative wire for the lights in the headlight bucket......you may overload the wire.

If you plan to terminate the negative power wire from your horn to the frame (metal) don't do this in headlight bucket, take the wire out to a solid point on the frame.
    The front end of the bike is resting on bearings.....you do not want to run current through these bearings.
    I cant remember if Suzuki has a bond wire from the frame to front end or not so just wanted to point this out as most never give this a though.

Best thing to add to your bike for accessories it a Fuzeblocks makes your installations neat and tidy and helps to eliminate the rats nest found on most motorcycles due to aftermarket wiring.

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblock...Block_p_1.html

BCS
    True. Yes fuse blocks rock! If you are going to be adding multiple new circuits to your bike, it would be HIGHLY recommend. As it will be much cleaner looking and if you ever have an issue with any of the new circuits all of the fuses are in one spot.
    One of the problems that I noticed is when people tap into existing circuits and do not realize the draw of things. Plus Suzuki will never use a heavier gage wire then needed to power what is needed.
    Last edited by rynosback; 04-21-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Assuming your wiring has been done correctly, maybe you have a bad relay? I installed a Denali air horn and used the Denali harness. I could not get it to work. I went over the wiring and connections half a dozen times but could not find the problem. I went to Canadian Tire and purchased a new relay, swapped it in and that did the trick.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I wonder how the horn plastic part would handle the heat. I'd rather not have it enclosed. Since I have the bags I don't need the small area beside the battery anymore. I can make the compressor fit in there. Then run an air line

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    I wonder how the horn plastic part would handle the heat. I'd rather not have it enclosed. Since I have the bags I don't need the small area beside the battery anymore. I can make the compressor fit in there. Then run an air line

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk
    Some people have had the horn go bad being placed by the radiator. The best place in my opinion is in the headlight bucket or using a bracket mounting it under the side over which placed the horn behind the rear wheel. I ran mine there for 8 years until I sold my bike. It people place other mods there so the headlight bucket is really the ideal place in my opinion. 99.9% of the plug and play harnesses I have made are for the headlight bucket.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Some people have had the horn go bad being placed by the radiator. The best place in my opinion is in the headlight bucket or using a bracket mounting it under the side over which placed the horn behind the rear wheel. I ran mine there for 8 years until I sold my bike. It people place other mods there so the headlight bucket is really the ideal place in my opinion. 99.9% of the plug and play harnesses I have made are for the headlight bucket.

Thanks for you expertise. Headlight bucket looks like the easiest place. Do you lose much DB in there? obviously much better than stock. Where abouts behind the rear wheel?
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 05-16-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Yeah , room in the headlight bucket , so much room you can have 2 horns
    but the compressors need to be elsewhere , you will also need to remove
    all the plastic covers around the rad to run the tubing from compressors to horns (even
    for just one horn) , unless you don't care if the tubing is exposed .
    Alternatives to compressor location when you have no room left :
    -in cavity behind right side cover ,
    -behind left chrome cover , tight fit ..

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	383752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	383754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1489.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	383756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	383758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	383760  

Last edited by Kazimodo; 05-17-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Thanks for you expertise. Headlight bucket looks like the easiest place. Do you lose much DB in there? obviously much better than stock. Where abouts behind the rear wheel?
    I do not think you lose any sound from the horn being in the headlight bucket. When I had mine mounted the actual horn bonnets could be seen if you looked right above the rear swing arm. Looking from the side of the tire towards the front of the bike. I bought a mass produced bracket and modified it to fit properly.
    Last edited by rynosback; 05-17-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Yeah , room in the headlight bucket , so much room you can have 2 horns
    but the compressors need to be elsewhere , you will also need to remove
    a lot of plastic covers to run the tubing from compressors to horns even
    for just one horn , unless you don't care if the tubing is exposed .
    Alternatives to compressor location when you have no room left :
    -in cavity behind right side cover ,
    -behind left chrome cover , tight fit ..
    A single horn with compressor will fit in the headlight bucket. Doesn’t decrease the volume of the horn. At least not enough to notice anyway. Still very loud!

"Hunter"
    Suzuki M1800R - no rules great fun

Where is the stock horn located on the M109R?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldi View Post
    Where is the stock horn located on the M109R?
    between the engine block and the radiator above the cooling fan

Last edited by "Hunter"; 05-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    "Hunter"
    Suzuki M1800R - no rules great fun