What clutch shudder does to your clutch parts. - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What clutch shudder does to your clutch parts.

Very Active Member DEADLYCHEEZE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chesshine5000 View Post
    what dept?
    Can't remember what number he gave me? It was like 0.01" or 0.001" taken off to make the flat spots
    Last edited by DEADLYCHEEZE; 04-24-2013 at 11:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I did mine my self with a 4 1/2 hand held grinder. I did 2 sides. Made them just about 1/8th in wide. Was really simple. But do it how ever makes you feel comfortable. I have not had any more problems since doing all of these.

98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

Quote Originally Posted by chesshine5000 View Post
    what dept?
    From what I'w read the grinding is supposed to be 3 mm wide at the deepest if you understand how I mean. It would be nice to see a pic from the end of the pin.

KEEP RIDING HARD

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I used bench grinder. You don't need three if you don't want. 2 or 3 doesn't matter. The idea is just to make a small flat spot where you grind. Don't make it a triangle, but don't leave it round either. Somewhere there was a picture of a pin on this forum....

EDIT: Here ya go...

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan
    With Individual Freedom and Individual Salvation comes Individual Accountability. It brings a rewarding life to all. <--The Huff

Quote Originally Posted by The HUFF View Post
    I used bench grinder. You don't need three if you don't want. 2 or 3 doesn't matter. The idea is just to make a small flat spot where you grind. Don't make it a triangle, but don't leave it round either. Somewhere there was a picture of a pin on this forum....

EDIT: Here ya go...
    Hey Ben that photo is copy written...............you didnt ask
    Kenny
    THE UGLY TRUTH...................

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I totally agree. Normally a company will only do a recall if there is a safty issue and someone can get hurt or killed. That is why they did do the recall on the fuel rail. It just would be nice if the company would own up to it and not try to say that it is something caused by "owner abuse". I guess it is the price we must pay for riding around and looking so darn cool .
    Heh just read this thread.. clutch shudder on my C almost got me dead a dozen times,, rolling slow in 2nd, clutch pulled, go to make a left.. and shudder.. took me 5 times as long to make the left turn and in the process almost got t-boned. Soo ya.. safety issue. (I've since done the fix myself after getting a run around from the dealer while my bike was still under waranty)

A question? If I should replace the parts number 6,12 & 13, is it then possible for me to see if the hub nut is loose or is it located deeper in the basket? And If it's loose, it is then so loose that I can feel it with your fingers? I do not have the special socket needed to tight it up.

KEEP RIDING HARD

Quote Originally Posted by snickaren View Post
    A question? If I should replace the parts number 6,12 & 13, is it then possible for me to see if the hub nut is loose or is it located deeper in the basket? And If it's loose, it is then so loose that I can feel it with your fingers? I do not have the special socket needed to tight it up.

Yes, the tube nut is behind the inner basket. You would have to pull the hub nut holding the inner basket in place inside the outer basket. If you feel any end play, how it slides on the shaft, then it is lose. However, if you do feel play, you probably would not have been able to ride the bike---does not take but a thread or two lose to cause that issue. If you have an '08 or newer, you are probably good.

Sent from my EVO bouncing off a couple of satellites!
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Yes, the tube nut is behind the inner basket. You would have to pull the hub nut holding the inner basket in place inside the outer basket. If you feel any end play, how it slides on the shaft, then it is lose. However, if you do feel play, you probably would not have been able to ride the bike---does not take but a thread or two lose to cause that issue. If you have an '08 or newer, you are probably good.

Tnx man.

Great answer.

I will start in an hour with this, cross your fingers

KEEP RIDING HARD

I do not have the special socket needed to tight it up.
    If you end up needing it, Yamaha has an equivalent tool. A local Yamaha dealer let me "rent" the tool for a day for $5. Looking back, it probably worked to my favor that it was a Yamaha shop and not Suzuki - they couldn't work on my bike themselves so letting me use the tool didn't result in any possible loss of business.

I just put the red loctite on and then finger tight. When it got too tight for my finger then I used a screw driver and a hammer to finish tightening it. I had the basket in a vise. Hasn't come loose yet.

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan
    With Individual Freedom and Individual Salvation comes Individual Accountability. It brings a rewarding life to all. <--The Huff

Ok guys, now I have removed all the plates and there were a little grind on the last disk.
    But here's the question, when I'm pulling the "inner/smaler" basket it feels realy tight and nice but when I pull the

"outer/bigger" basket I can feel it wiggel just a little bit. It's like just a half of a mm but you can feel a differens between the

two of them!

Does this mean that my tube nut could be loose or should the be some movement in the "outer/bigger" basket?

KEEP RIDING HARD

Ok guys, now I have removed all the plates and there were a little grind on the last disk.
    But here's the question, when I'm pulling the "inner/smaler" basket it feels realy tight and nice but when I pull the

"outer/bigger" basket I can feel it wiggel just a little bit. It's like just a half of a mm but you can feel a differens between the

two of them!

Does this mean that my tube nut could be loose or should the be some movement in the "outer/bigger" basket?
    You can always remove the hub nut and inspect it for you own peace of mind.

I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Okay, will there be problems for me since I don't have a impactgun for the hub nut?

KEEP RIDING HARD

Okay, will there be problems for me since I don't have a impactgun for the hub nut?
    Yes, unless you have a way to torque it back down.

Ok tnx for all the help man, I take my chanses and put it all back without losening it.

KEEP RIDING HARD

Help me, what's wrong?

I'v put all the disks in and put the outer metall plate with the bolts and springs back but when I put it in gear and pull the clutchhandle, it won't release the gear if you know what I mean. It doesen't disconnect the gear.
    What did I do wrong?

KEEP RIDING HARD

Well, the cost of the parts usually around $50 for the parts. The time to replace parts and do the pin mod is usually around 1.5hrs. I almost always will do the bluey fix and go ahead and do the tube nut also. So, my time is usually closer to 2-2.5hrs from start to finish--depends somewhat on the exhaust. So the hourly rate will vary on most of you---hence the cost will vary. For me, parts/labor to just replace parts and modificaions, well you are into about the $170 range (exhaust dependant). Almost all have had me do other things and mods at the same time. It is also a great time to do the front mounts if they have never been replaced before.

Wish I had a tech like you in Japan. I have this issue from time to time. It's not bad yet; more imbarrasing to be honest. I have a good tech here, just worried he won't understand the process.

Get right...... or get left!!! The list of MOD's is on going... so in short... ALOT!

Help me, what's wrong?

I'v put all the disks in and put the outer metall plate with the bolts and springs back but when I put it in gear and pull the clutchhandle, it won't release the gear if you know what I mean. It doesen't disconnect the gear.
    What did I do wrong?
    Did you put the adjustment pin back in the shaft before you put the pressure plate back on? Did you get all the plates back in the correct order? Did you put all the plates back in the smae slot in the outer basket? Have you loosened the cable up some?

Did you put the adjustment pin back in the shaft before you put the pressure plate back on? Did you get all the plates back in the correct order? Did you put all the plates back in the smae slot in the outer basket? Have you loosened the cable up some?
    Answer to your questions.

Yes
    Yes
    Not 100% sure about the all the plates in same slot
    Yes I did loosened the cable

Here's a clip, if that can help. You can see it's moving but maybe to little ??

KEEP RIDING HARD

In your pic, you can see the tabs of the pressure plate are on the outside of the basket. That means you have something in there wrong. Wrong order or the pin is adjusted wrong. Most likely the wrong order. Did you adjust the pin at all when you ground it? You shouldn't have had to remove the the locking nut or adjust the pin. From what I see of the pin, it looks wrong, but every bike is different. My guess is that you have the wave washer and the washer it rides against in the wrong place. It is supposed to go under the first plate not on top of another plate.

Here is a pic of the clutch order. You will see the the first is the number 6 plate, then the wave washer(Make sure you have the wave the right direction) and plate washer. When you actually start the first clutch plate, it will fit over those two washers.
    Last edited by The HUFF; 04-30-2013 at 07:59 AM.

This is how it looked when I opened the enginecover and have removed some of the "springbolts"

Some brown stuff on some of the springs

The pressure plate and some plates gone

The adjustment pin

I had a system to get the plates back in the right order

The inner plate

The old vs the new

The parts to switch

Everything removed

Now I have put everything back and apart three times and still get the same result, the clutch handle doesn't have any effect when I have a gear in .

I didn't loose the hub nut and when I tried the clutch the first time I hadn't done anything with the adjustment pin either.

It doesn't matter how I adjust the pin, if I loosen it too much the the handle just hangs loose and if I tight it down all the way witout reversing 1 full turn it still doesn't work when I use the clutch handle and if I reverse it 1

turn, still no different??

I just dont get it But it feels like the clutch doesn't move enough? please look at the filmclip that I posted in the earlier post if you can see something else that I could have done wrong.
    Last edited by snickaren; 04-30-2013 at 03:32 PM.

KEEP RIDING HARD

On the push pin, did you put the roller washer and guide washer on the pin right? I'm not seeing those in your pics

On the push pin, did you put the roller washer and guide washer on the pin right? I'm not seeing those in your pics
    Do you mean the "bearing" and small washer? If this is what you mean, then they stayed in the pressure plate. Sorry for my english

KEEP RIDING HARD

Do you mean the "bearing" and small washer? If this is what you mean, then they stayed in the pressure plate. Sorry for my english
    Yes. But when you put it back together, the bearing washer and small washer were against the plate and before the pin, right?

Were you having clutch shudder? Was that the reason you decided to do this? Or were you doing something else too?

But it feels like the clutch doesn't move enough? please look at the filmclip that I posted in the earlier post if you can see something else that I could have done wrong.
    Others may correct me if I'm wrong, but I just finished my clutch about a month ago, and that amount of movement looks similar to mine. (Although, I would guess that we're talking about a much smaller tolerance than just being able to LOOK at it to see if it's the right amount.)

I actually thought of measuring the amount of movement with a micrometer... AFTER I already put the cover back on. I wish I would've thought of it sooner.

It looked like you had a good system, but is it possible that this could be caused by the plates going in the wrong order or backwards? I'm leaning on the experts here, but is it possible that this could be caused by two fiber plates facing one another and binding together?

Quote Originally Posted by R2 View Post
    Others may correct me if I'm wrong, but I just finished my clutch about a month ago, and that amount of movement looks similar to mine. (Although, I would guess that we're talking about a much smaller tolerance than just being able to LOOK at it to see if it's the right amount.)

I actually thought of measuring the amount of movement with a micrometer... AFTER I already put the cover back on. I wish I would've thought of it sooner.

It looked like you had a good system, but is it possible that this could be caused by the plates going in the wrong order or backwards? I'm leaning on the experts here, but is it possible that this could be caused by two fiber plates facing one another and binding together?
    Yes.

Are all the plates facing the right way? The first and last are one sided. On my diagram above you can see which way they are supposed to face.
    CAn you feel a release point of sorts in the handle when you pull the clutch handle back?

Here's a question....If you replaced any fiber plates....Did you soak the plates in oil over night or put them right in?

Yes. But when you put it back together, the bearing washer and small washer were against the plate and before the pin, right?

Were you having clutch shudder? Was that the reason you decided to do this? Or were you doing something else too?
    Yes if you think of the pressure plate first then the washer that fits in the pressure plate and then comes the bearing and then the adjustment pin.

Quote Originally Posted by R2 View Post

Mmm i guess it's hard to see if it's the movement

Yes.

Are all the plates facing the right way? The first and last are one sided. On my diagram above you can see which way they are supposed to face.
    CAn you feel a release point of sorts in the handle when you pull the clutch handle back?
    Yes I looked very closely at your diagram when I put the plates in. I'm not sure what you mean by "release point" but the handle feels just right....
    Last edited by snickaren; 04-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.

KEEP RIDING HARD

Here's a question....If you replaced any fiber plates....Did you soak the plates in oil over night or put them right in?
    No I didn't replace any of the fiberplates but I soaked the old ones after cleaning them and then reinstaled them. Could it be that I had to much oil on them so they sort of stick together

Yes I had the shudder realy bad, like every fifth start, very annoying...
    Last edited by snickaren; 04-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.

KEEP RIDING HARD