What clutch shudder does to your clutch parts. - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What clutch shudder does to your clutch parts.

All i can say is, what a shame you dont live in New Zealand, You would have my bike to fix in a heart beat. I dont have the shudder yet but this mod would certainly take the worry away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    That plate shows the starting of hot spotting.
    Matt...can you explain hot spotting?
    09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

It is when the steel plates show spots (blue or darker) on its surface from heat. Which is mostly caused by lack of oil.

Sent from my EVO bouncing off a couple of satellites!
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Impressive amount of tech info .

Thanks

I also did the same- shudder gone. Thanks. I had it for half this summer(only 2,000 miles this year). Worst yet- just hd 2 nd gear issue repaired this spring. 17 hours labor- I had extended warranty. Had clutch nut issue last fall- extended warranty also. All I need to do now is- be more active on this site. I should have not missed the motor mount issue till after all that work was done. Not on-line alot!

Note: 2000 miles this year was because of back surgery in March- not because of the bike performance.

Default Shutter- How much to machine off

Can anyone tell me how much to machine off the pin? I would rather machine it off rather than grind it so i make sure i get even amounts taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by 69superbee View Post
    Can anyone tell me how much to machine off the pin? I would rather machine it off rather than grind it so i make sure i get even amounts taken off.
    I believe in the first page of this thread, Mark took off .3 mm.

Well sense the bad weather is setting in, Im think ill take my 9 to the dealer to fix the clutch shudder problem. You think they will know what I'm talking about?

Man, wish I were closer. I'm feeling sketchy about this one

Quote Originally Posted by KPed24 View Post
    Well sense the bad weather is setting in, Im think ill take my 9 to the dealer to fix the clutch shudder problem. You think they will know what I'm talking about?

YMMV...I called my dealer and asked them about it. They told me to bring in for a test drive. They rode her. Said...no problem here. It was just after I bought the bike...so figured perhaps it was my newness to the bike. That when I really started reading about the problem and solution.

If you go to the dealer, be prepared to reproduce the problem for them. There is a video in the post below which is a great example.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...+tire+skipping

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature...ature=youtu.be
    09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

Quote Originally Posted by 69superbee View Post
    no exact science ..
    first , the experts say grind 3 faces , not 2 , I wouldn't be worried
    if I had already done it , and had done 2 faces , it obviously works to fix clutch shudder
    but if it is not already done , why not go with the expert's opinions .
    here is an image of a pin done , 2 sides not 3 , you can see the size of the area
    taken off with a file or grinder .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Push pin .JPG 
Views:	483 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	76914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch shudder fix - push pin mod.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	76915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch  shudder mod part .jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	76916  
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Thanks for the pictures.Just didn't want to grind too much off.Didn't know if it might cause a problem somewhere else.

As stated in another thread by "Futur R " you
    don't want to grind too much off , that would send so
    much oil to the clutch plates , that the pressure to the
    rest of the engine would be affected , just 3 long flat spots
    on the pin , little less than 1/8 of an inch wide is what I'm doing
    this winter .
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Quote Originally Posted by Torque Junkie View Post
    I currently ride a 2008-C109R that I purchased this summer. Long story short, I too have suffered from clutch shudder. Maybe 50 times in the 7500 miles I rode this summer. When I first test drove my bike I instantly noticed the pull on the clutch lever when I accelerated?? I inquired about this and my dealer told me it was because the clutch and throttle cabled were routed and zip-tied together. End of story. Now I learn about the broken clutch cables, soft motor mounts, over heated clutches etc. Totally agree that the clutches are running dry too. Have to ask myself that if the engine is rocking around enough to break clutch cables, is it also trying to disengage the clutch under heavy acceleration? If the "free play" at the clutch lever is being taken up, any additional tension has to be transferring to the clutch doesn't it? Are the severely burned clutch packs coming from bikes that are being ridden harder than others?? Just something I thought I'd throw out there for debate. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Thanks, Torque Junkie...

Engine mounts have zero to do with cable pull. That pull is a internal mechanical pull. To help prove that, if your mounts have been replaced, why does the pull still exist? Replied to your PM with alot of your answers.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Very Active Member Torque Junkie's Avatar

Default Cable pull?

Engine mounts have zero to do with cable pull. That pull is a internal mechanical pull. To help prove that, if your mounts have been replaced, why does the pull still exist? Replied to your PM with alot of your answers.
    Haven't replaced my motor mounts yet and can't believe they would have been worn out at 3200 miles either unless they were of the wrong durometer rubber to begin with? Do have two of the firmer ones for a M109R ordered though. Will look closer at the clutch cable today. What creates the mechanical pull on it from within the engine? Took my clutch apart last evening to do the pin mod. and things were clean and oily in there? No signs of overheating or wear at all. Currently have just over 10,000 miles on the bike and have experienced the shudder only a few times on initial start-up? Took the pin to the local machine shop this morning and their Bridgeport milling machine did nothing but polish it when they tried to cut it. Conventional cutting bit though, nothing diamond or carbide. Couple more questions, 1) Why is it necessary to flatten more than 1 spot on the pin? I understand the reasoning behind the 3 vs. 2 theory but wouldn't 1 spot allow enough oil flow? 2) This isn't a pressurized lube area is it? Oil transfer will flow naturally along the flat spot and be slung to the center of the clutch by centrifugal force won't it? Thus not reducing oil psi within the engine....

Quote Originally Posted by Torque Junkie View Post
    Haven't replaced my motor mounts yet and can't believe they would have been worn out at 3200 miles either unless they were of the wrong durometer rubber to begin with? Do have two of the firmer ones for a M109R ordered though. Will look closer at the clutch cable today. What creates the mechanical pull on it from within the engine? Took my clutch apart last evening to do the pin mod. and things were clean and oily in there? No signs of overheating or wear at all. Currently have just over 10,000 miles on the bike and have experienced the shudder only a few times on initial start-up? Took the pin to the local machine shop this morning and their Bridgeport milling machine did nothing but polish it when they tried to cut it. Conventional cutting bit though, nothing diamond or carbide. Couple more questions, 1) Why is it necessary to flatten more than 1 spot on the pin? I understand the reasoning behind the 3 vs. 2 theory but wouldn't 1 spot allow enough oil flow? 2) This isn't a pressurized lube area is it? Oil transfer will flow naturally along the flat spot and be slung to the center of the clutch by centrifugal force won't it? Thus not reducing oil psi within the engine....

Actually, I have replaced mounts at 3000 miles that looked as worn as 6000 mile nounts, so yes, they could be worn out. I suppose you could do just one side, but you wight want to take more off. Also, with one spot, I am not sure what amount to take off to ensure enough flow. Yes, it is pressurized. It feeds the top end, so too much and you will have issues.

Very Active Member DEADLYCHEEZE's Avatar

Does the pull worsen as the mounts deteriorate? It seems as if my cable pulls quite a bit harder since my tube nut slipped off and I repaired it. I also have 17,000 miles and haven't done the motor mounts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DEADLYCHEEZE View Post
    Does the pull worsen as the mounts deteriorate? It seems as if my cable pulls quite a bit harder since my tube nut slipped off and I repaired it. I also have 17,000 miles and haven't done the motor mounts. Thanks!
    I think the first line of my post you qouted answers that.

I think the first line of my post you qouted answers that.
    Just had to confirm I guess. Thanks Matt.

Hi, got abit of a hijacking question here but anyways. I want to do the pin mod and change all the plates and stuff for the cluth shudder but also at the same time if I pull it apart I want to do the "Evo shift star kit" ( http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...d=8305&str=290 ). Has anyone done both mods, the anti shudder mod and the shift kit mod Would they work fine with each other? Im thinking they will but just double checking. Thanks
    140 Metz, 260 Metz, Cobra Longshots, Cobra Fi2000, K&N filters, Blocked Pair valves, HID + LED kit, 2" lowered, Derby cover, mirrors etc.. Hopefully alot more to come

Default Quick question

Hello,
    i was ready your post and see you have all the best answers. I have the shutter but here in Japan I tried to get answers about the repairs needed. I was told to replace the clutch assembly completely. Now I see the best ways to fix the issue. Just hope over the winter I can muster up some local knowledge to get the repairs done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140802575470...84.m1423.l2649

Tell me if you could about this product and the difficulty installing it completely.

Thanks.

R/
    Keith
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by GODRA View Post
    Hi, got abit of a hijacking question here but anyways. I want to do the pin mod and change all the plates and stuff for the cluth shudder but also at the same time if I pull it apart I want to do the "Evo shift star kit" ( http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...d=8305&str=290 ). Has anyone done both mods, the anti shudder mod and the shift kit mod Would they work fine with each other? Im thinking they will but just double checking. Thanks

Yes i have done them all. Yes, they will work fine together and really have nothing to do with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrchue View Post
    Hello,
    i was ready your post and see you have all the best answers. I have the shutter but here in Japan I tried to get answers about the repairs needed. I was told to replace the clutch assembly completely. Now I see the best ways to fix the issue. Just hope over the winter I can muster up some local knowledge to get the repairs done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140802575470...84.m1423.l2649

Tell me if you could about this product and the difficulty installing it completely.

Thanks.

R/
    Keith
    [email protected]

The elctrical side of things is decently simple. The temp guage has a coupling that will fit in-line with one of the radiator hoses. So that will require draining down the system a bit for installation and filling back up properly.

I read 385 USD ... quite a lot actually
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Very Active Member forgetaboudit's Avatar

I'm kind of skurred to dig my hands into the clutch on my 9. I'm a pretty good 4wheel mechanic, but when it comes to two wheels (Especially mine), I don't want to get in over my head. If someone could PM me and tell me what this pin mod all entails, and replacing those plates and washers, that'd be great. I'm also going to put in the shift star if that isn't too difficult.
    *I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know others like myself.*

I'w got the parts Numbers 6,12,13 coming any day now and I'm thinking of doing the pin mod too.

Is it possible to do the grinding of the pin your self or is it hardned steel? I'm thinking of using the dremmel?

I'm a little worried if I grind too much, then there will be to much oil in the clutchbasket and cause problems with the oil in the

rest of the engine

KEEP RIDING HARD

Quote Originally Posted by snickaren View Post
    I'w got the parts Numbers 6,12,13 coming any day now and I'm thinking of doing the pin mod too.

Is it possible to do the grinding of the pin your self or is it hardned steel? I'm thinking of using the dremmel?

I'm a little worried if I grind too much, then there will be to much oil in the clutchbasket and cause problems with the oil in the

rest of the engine
    It is hardened steel and I personally took mine to a machinist and payed the $20 bucks for peace of mind. Had him make 3 flats that measured 3mm wide (not depth)

It is hardened steel and I personally took mine to a machinist and payed the $20 bucks for peace of mind. Had him make 3 flats that measured 3mm wide (not depth)
    Tnx for the quick answer my friend

KEEP RIDING HARD

Very Active Member chesshine5000's Avatar

what dept?

MODS LIST: Scorpion Tips, 250 Rear, 160 Front, Lanzar MC90 Speaker System, HID 8K Kit, Spike Flame Stem Mirrors, Windshield, 230 White LEDs, Chrome Billet Grill Mod, Chrome Tank Trim