Undertank Air Filters, Done
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undertank Air Filters, Done

Default Undertank Air Filters, Done

Ok, I wanted to ditch the Harley Davidson looking side air filters. I originally was going to go with side mounted open element K&N's but decided I would rather have the "retro" look and see the huge jugs on this engine. So under tank forum thread searching was on...

First I tried the RA-0770 filters as mentioned in other threads. I don’t know if they have changed, but the 0.5" offset is not enough to get them onto the throttle bodies without MAJOR damage to the filter due to the frame tube locations. Looking farther down K&N's list I spotted their RA-077V which is the same filter but with a chrome top AND a 2.5" offset. It doesn’t "need" the chrome since it will be hidden, but I want the offset. They show up, same 0.5" offset. So I call K&N, get all the way to an Engineer just to find out it was a mis-print. They are the same as a RA-0770 with chrome tops, they have updated their online docs now. ;-(

Ok, this project is dead without a filter that actually fits with out cramming in against everything. None of the 65-67mm ID oval filters have an offset that will work inside the 109's frame. I turned to the round filters (originally wanted oval for the surface area) and find RB-0800. 67mm ID which is perfect. Measures 4" tall by 4" in diameter, has a 5deg. tilt to it which will help, and the surface area meets K&N guidelines for airflow up to ~7800rpm. http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm I know this is not a lot over the redline, but the goal was aesthetics not performance. The "front" filter easily fits but the "rear" filter sits a bit high, so I trimmed the flange down as far as I could with it still fully seating on the throttle body flange. Success!

That was actually the easy part, the crankcase vents into the air box and there are a LOT of sensors/hoses/valves mounted to it also and now they all don't have a home. The crankcase was solved during a junkyard run. A Ford crankcase oil separator (small block V8's) on top of a trimmed Chrysler oil breather/air filter hose (60s-80s 318/360 V8's) plugged perfectly onto the back of the bikes crankcase. For a bracket to hold the rest of the items, it took me probably 20 iterations in AutoCAD, mocking it up with cardboard each time, to get the design I wanted. Luckily I have access to a water jet cutting machine at work so I could actually make such an intricate design. I was also able to salvage some 1/16" stainless sheet from a scrap machine.

In the end, the effort was worth it. Now the cylinders are beautifully on display and it sounds AWESOME. I think I will be keeping the factory exhaust now! Beauty is, now all the sensors are in place, so no error codes and all I "used" from the factory parts was the rear cylinder PAIR hose, which I bought a replacement for. Now all the parts are sitting in a box if I ever want to un-mod it.

Here is a complete list of the parts for your entertainment:

Qty Part P/N Price
    ================================================== ===
    (2) Air Filter RB-0800 $30/ea
    (1) PAIR Valve Breather 62-1370 $18
    (1) Crankcase Breather 62-1100 $18
    (1) Foot of 1/2" Hose $2
    (1) Rear PAIR hose 18471-48G10 $40
    (1) Ford Oil Separator E5TE-6A768-AC $1 (yard)
    (1) Chrysler Crankcase Hose $1 (yard)
    (1) 12x16" 1/16" Thick 316 Stainless $0
    ================================================== ===

Total of ~$140, pretty cheap mod too!
    2007 M109R in Red
    Undertank Intake, TrackDay TRE, Debadged, Driver Boogie Boards, 2" Kewl Metal Riser Extensions, Custom Bungee Buttons, Grasshopper Driver backrest, Dunlop E3 250

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Pic of the filters set in place. Set the tank on to verify clearance, all was good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 - K&N Airfilters Installed.JPG 
Views:	1754 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	72549  
    2007 M109R in Red
    Undertank Intake, TrackDay TRE, Debadged, Driver Boogie Boards, 2" Kewl Metal Riser Extensions, Custom Bungee Buttons, Grasshopper Driver backrest, Dunlop E3 250

Nice, more pics

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Here is the oil separator setup, and pics of it installed. Should work great, the 90deg bend in the Chrysler hose will help remove oil and makes it fit behind the engine. The Ford oil separator has "steel wool" in it, makes another 90deg bend, and has a small chamber all which will contribute to oil "falling" out of the air. Finally, the hose from the separator to the breather filter (old rear PAIR hose) goes up almost 6" vertically to under the tank. Hopefully the filter will remain oil free, I will report back in a few hundred miles to see. :-)

Name:	04 - Oil Seperator.JPG 
Views:	380 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	72552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 - Oil Seperator from Driverside.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	72553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 - Oil Seperator from Passengerside.JPG 
Views:	398 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	72554  
    2007 M109R in Red

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo1985 View Post
    Nice, more pics
    yup, let's see the now naked side of your bike! I've often thought about doing this, but I like the cool factor of the outside filters.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Here is the bracket, first pic is it cut out of the stainless. Then I bent it per the cardboard mockups I made.
    Also is a picture of the setup fully installed and a shot from under, where I mounted PAIR valve. (sits below the coils now)

The breather filter on top is for the crankcase. It tees just past it and goes down to the separator.
    The other part of the tee runs under the bracket up to the Idle Speed servo.

Name:	07 - Sensor Bracket.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	72558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08 - Sensor Bracket Bent.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	72559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 - Assembled.JPG 
Views:	484 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	72560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13 - Relocated PAIR Valve.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	72562  
    Last edited by Darkwing_Duck; 07-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    2007 M109R in Red

Here is our tank, lots of room above the rails, you can see where the side rubber mounts are. Probably 1-2" arched above that even. Great for this project, crap for fuel capacity.
    I also attached of the best pic I could get of the rear filter with the tank mounted. It touches, but the heat shield is loosely mounted, so I think I am ok. Again, will report back...

Name:	15 - Tank Room.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	72570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16 - Rear Filter.JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	72571  
    Last edited by Darkwing_Duck; 07-29-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    2007 M109R in Red

Here you go Big-B, final pics. I can get better ones (or any others) if anyone wants. Under tank pics will wait for the "check up" in a few hundred miles though. :-)

Name:	18 - Complete Passenger.JPG 
Views:	659 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	72572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 - Complete Driver.JPG 
Views:	700 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	72573  
    2007 M109R in Red

I see you state your intentions for doing this was to clean up the bike and not for performance. Have you noticed any change in how it runs? Good/bad, better/worse? Are you running a fuel tuner? If yes which one?

Yeah, I really almost went for the K&N side mounted ones. They were oval, came in 2" or 3", but cant find them anymore.
    No offense to anyone who like/loves their side mounts, but I am definitely loving the naked or retro look. Reminds me of the Kawasaki KZ400 I used to have. :-)
    I also got a great side benefit of the sound. Barely notice the slight hiss and injectors at idle, and cruising sounds about the same. But when you get on it, it is REALLY throaty, like an old 4bbl car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    yup, let's see the now naked side of your bike! I've often thought about doing this, but I like the cool factor of the outside filters.
    2007 M109R in Red

No fuel tuner, was waiting to see what happened. But luckily, it seems to run the same. However, since I had the bike apart, I did put a TrackDay TRE on at the same time, so that might muddy the water too.
    Overall, seems to be as good or better running than before. Definitely better sounding and I can lug through towen now without the bike jerking everywhere. The last part I am sure is due to the TRE. Again, this was an asthetics mod, so I am as happy as a clam. :-)

Anyone know if I pull the TDE fuse out, if it will put the bike "stock" so I can just feel the filter mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    I see you state your intentions for doing this was to clean up the bike and not for performance. Have you noticed any change in how it runs? Good/bad, better/worse? Are you running a fuel tuner? If yes which one?
    2007 M109R in Red

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Here you go Big-B, final pics. I can get better ones (or any others) if anyone wants. Under tank pics will wait for the "check up" in a few hundred miles though. :-)
    Looks good, I like it. You're def in the minority w/ this mod for sure! Well done

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Here is a pic of the AutoCAD drawing. I can email the DWG or DXF to anyone who wants it.
    I have probably 20-30 hours into it, but this site has been so useful I will gladly give back to the community.

The only think I might do differently would be to make "tabs" to mount the MAP sensors too. Their wires are pretty short, so you may or may not be able to.
    Right now they are wire tied out of sight.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	72574  
    2007 M109R in Red

It is clean looking that's for sure.

Here is a pic of the AutoCAD drawing. I can email the DWG or DXF to anyone who wants it.
    I have probably 20-30 hours into it, but this site has been so useful I will gladly give back to the community.

The only think I might do differently would be to make "tabs" to mount the MAP sensors too. Their wires are pretty short, so you may or may not be able to.
    Right now they are wire tied out of sight.
    That's pretty impressive right there!

On and off definitely describes the threads I found while doing my research. However, every "part" of the design I found needed tweaking. The picking the air filters is a good example, all the threads have the K&N RA-0770 mentioned, they dont fit. No one addressed all the plumbing nightmare that I endured... you get the idea. :-)

The mod was driven by looks, but could easily be made to be performance but adding any kind of air ducting into that area. For now, I am sure the air is a bit warmer when idle, but not worried once moving. The Air Temp sensor is mounted up in there also, so the fuel mixture will be correct either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Dog View Post
    This has been around off and on, seems to pop up sooner or later. Its fun to tinker with the bike and you have done allot of work for sure. The main reason it isn't real popular is the bike is only getting confined hot air since the filters are tucked under the tank and above the cylinder heads, pretty much the opposite of a cold air intake.

Just watch how much the fan runs, the bike might end up running much hotter in the summer than before.

Sly
    2007 M109R in Red

kawzx7

Great exercise, honestly, I applaud you in what you've done. However, our differences in what constitute "clean" looks are vast. This bike was not engineered to have the airboxes removed. What you see as clean, I see as a bunch of exposed hoses, and mounting points that look odd being open.

Yep, everyone has their own tastes. Even Harley owners. j/k :-)
    I would love another all covered GSX-R! Damn I miss that bike...

Quote Originally Posted by kawzx7 View Post
    Great exercise, honestly, I applaud you in what you've done. However, our differences in what constitute "clean" looks are vast. This bike was not engineered to have the airboxes removed. What you see as clean, I see as a bunch of exposed hoses, and mounting points that look odd being open.
    2007 M109R in Red

To me it almost looks like a "Victory" motorcycle now. but you definately did a lot of work on that project.

Very Active Member DarkHorse9825's Avatar

Very well done Darkwing, and a great write up to.
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Thanks!

The filters look the same to me, would remove it from that bike too! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Todds9 View Post
    To me it almost looks like a "Victory" motorcycle now. but you definately did a lot of work on that project.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	72680  
    2007 M109R in Red

Default Nice work!

That's such a nice clean job, it's a shame to cover it up! I copied it in case I want to see it again!
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

Congats on doing this mod - its another one that Suzuki should have considered themselves in the design of their definitive cruiser!

But the puzzle for me is why some expect higher HP from this mod - with the intakes tucked under the tank it seems to me that improved or pressurised cool air flow to the intakes would be obstructed by the steering head. A development similar to the L&M Busa radiator cowl (currently with fake air intakes) would be necessary to duct air in and under the tank

But the pic of the tank made me wonder if anyone has modded the underside of the tank to increase the tank capacity - another 3 or 4 litres would be very handy

Anyhow, this mod is well done and I hope results in the desired effect when completed

Cheers

Pic of the filters set in place. Set the tank on to verify clearance, all was good!

Yeah, I am was little OCD, but it does function as good as it looks. Thanks! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000DUDE View Post
    That's such a nice clean job, it's a shame to cover it up! I copied it in case I want to see it again!
    2007 M109R in Red

Once moving, I dont think there is much "heat" left up there, it is quite open now. Enough that I can reach up and touch each filter if I wanted.
    I saw a front radiator fairing (and chin?) that has faux scoop exactly where they could help.

I do hear you though, if Suzuki put ram air feeding a closed filter box just like the GSX-R's had, that would be perfect. (in my eyes)

The tank tunnel is wide open, someone who knew what they were doing could probably add 2-3L.

Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Congats on doing this mod - its another one that Suzuki should have considered themselves in the design of their definitive cruiser!

But the puzzle for me is why some expect higher HP from this mod - with the intakes tucked under the tank it seems to me that improved or pressurised cool air flow to the intakes would be obstructed by the steering head. A development similar to the L&M Busa radiator cowl (currently with fake air intakes) would be necessary to duct air in and under the tank

But the pic of the tank made me wonder if anyone has modded the underside of the tank to increase the tank capacity - another 3 or 4 litres would be very handy

Anyhow, this mod is well done and I hope results in the desired effect when completed

Cheers
    2007 M109R in Red

Quote Originally Posted by Todds9 View Post
    To me it almost looks like a "Victory" motorcycle now. but you definitely did a lot of work on that project.
    First thing I thought of when I read the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse9825 View Post
    Very well done Darkwing, and a great write up to.
    Second thing I thought of after I finished it...

That's what makes it your bike...

Nice work Darkwing, I almost did this very thing to my Raider but I ended up selling it and switching to the 9.

I'm not an engineer... but the Raider has it's air box up under the tank from the factory and it's more like a car style setup. One of the most popular, and inexpensive mods for that bike, is to do exactly what you've done to your 9.

Check out this thread about making a homemade BAK from the big Raider forum:

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=3171.0

Everyone who's done it said there is a substantial and immediately noticeable increase in power and you can do it yourself for under $100... Darkwing took it to another level with the custom bracket design.

Granted the Raider cylinders are not hidden behind a radiator and body panels, and maybe that is the key difference why this works so well on that bike and maybe not a favorite mod for the 9 owners out there... but I've always been curious to see someone actually complete this project so again, bravo Darkwing for following through and thanks for sharing your pics and design work.

Think I understand the Victory statements now. They have a similar airbox, but it "fits" between the cylinders as you look at it. So you can see the cylinders pretty good. Our filters cover part of the cylinders.

Thanks for all the kind words on the mod.
    Now, if the damn Batteries Plus XTreme batery wouldn't have failed, after only two months, I'd be riding it. ;-(
    2007 M109R in Red

Default Here's my set up.

This is called the Sleeper Mod.

I've never had heat issues.

I used the foam UNI Filters. It does move the power band a little when you remove the airbox under the tank.

It did gain a little more power but not enough for me to do it again. It does make maintenance a lot easier on the bike.

I belive my HP numbers after I had it Dyno Tuned was 112 HP and 107 torque using the SAE 5 setting.

I have the PCIII and Cobra Swepts. I may try and switch to the K&N filters you found. Good job on the layout and planning.
    Here is an older thread and the filters some of the guys used.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141289
    Last edited by STL-TIGER; 08-01-2012 at 02:40 PM.

I have not heard anything good about batteries plus motorcycle batteries.