Undertank Air Filters, Done - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Undertank Air Filters, Done

Well, it has been 300 miles so I opened the "tank" back up to inspect. Looks great, the filters are still solidly attached. No oil coming from the crankcase breather. Only a slight dent in the under tank heat shield, not unexpected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	20120821_170701.jpg†
Views:	158†
Size:	152.7 KB†
ID:	73655Click image for larger version.†

Name:	20120821_170633.jpg†
Views:	170†
Size:	153.1 KB†
ID:	73656
    2007 M109R in Red
    Undertank Intake, TrackDay TRE, Debadged, Driver Boogie Boards, 2" Kewl Metal Riser Extensions, Custom Bungee Buttons, Grasshopper Driver backrest, Dunlop E3 250

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Great job !

After reading through this thread some time ago I decided to duplicate this setup on my 9. I pretty much figured everything out by all the info here but had a question and decided to pm Darkwing hoping he was still active and he was!

After a couple short messages he graciously sent me a copy of the CAD drawing he made for this setup which I took off to a laser cutters and had made up and than ordered all the parts listed in the start of this thread

Once everything arrives, it was a very easy conversion to do and way cheaper than any intake kits for the 9, Iím very happy with the results... just have to wait for spring to go for a test ride though

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Looking good.
    Might want to add a small hose clamp on the vacuum caps for your pair block off just to insure they are tight and stay in place.

BCS

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Looking good.
    Might want to add a small hose clamp on the vacuum caps for your pair block off just to insure they are tight and stay in place.

BCS
    I do agree and will be doing that, however the caps went on pretty snug so I would be surprised if they ever came off, but Iíll be adding clamps to make sure

While it certainly looks interesting, I just think my Nine would look naked without the LA Choppers Big Air filters on the side. And your pics confirm that. Plus, now they are breathing extremely hot air, which is detrimental to performance. But, to each his own. I thought about doing it one time. Just decided I like the muscular look of two big open filters on the side. It adds to the big giant muscle bike appearance.

But it appears you did a bang up job of it. Looks good.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

I remember when Darkwing first started this thread. I was very interested and intrigued at the onset. But, I had reservations about how well and just how hot the air temperature would be as it flowed through the system. Iíve always believed that increased and cooler air best improved performance, over restricted warm air. I spoke with someone not long after this thread was started, whoís very knowledgeable about creating power and improving performance. He emphatically concluded that there was nothing to be gained, in terms of performance, by having this mod done. The one thing that has always eluded me is...how would a vast amount of cool air get to those air filters which are practically completely isolated/insulated by the tank? I am by no means criticizing this mod. I just canít understand how it improves air flow when it seems as if very little air can get to the air filters...plus the air would likely be very warm air.

Can someone help me to have a better understanding of this? Iím very curious to know.

Thanks,
    Bobby

Us guys/gals that drive Ford Lightnings with supercharged V-8s, refer to cool days as "Great boost weather". One of the best mods for the Lightning is the KillerChiller. Where the vehicles air conditioning system is used to control the intercooler, which is a liquid-to-air system. Instead of having a heat exchanger (radiator) behind the grill, the liquid is routed through a device that is connected to the ac system. Keeps intake temperatures well below normal, even in the summer. It really is about the best power enhancer out there. But it does take away from the ac being great at keeping the cab cool. Just a little, but hey, I'm a windows down driver anyway. Even in 100 degree weather.

All my vehicles have aftermarket cais, which really are not cold air intakes. But all of them are fitted with hoses that route cold air from either under the vehicle or behind the grill, up into the area the filter occupies. So, as long as the vehicle is moving, cold outside air is being directed at the filters. But, there is nothing you can do during the summer. Hot is hot, and that's that. But those filters under the fuel tank will be sweltering in hot engine air. THey may suck in more than side mounted filters, due to less restrictive intake, but it will be HOT air. So in the end, not really much of any gain at all.

I heard those filters are LOUD! I mean, the LA Choppers Big Airs on my bike are LOUD! They make a loud hiss just idling. I love it. If I were ever to do this mod, it would not be for the appearance or any supposed power gain, but for the noise it makes. LMAO!!
    Last edited by cbxer55; 02-05-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I did this modification to spare the stock bowls from the heat of the turna dumps and honestly love the clean, bare look with the cylinders fully exposed

I agree there wonít be much more power to be made with this setup but I fully intend to run it down the drag strip to compare the times from bone stock to this setup

And BTW I just got my ECU back today from getting a tune done by BCS, should be better than stock at least

And if I still wanna go faster, I can just add a crotch rocket to the garage lol

Exactly. Done that already.

And with those Turrna Dumps, you won't have to worry about the intake being louder. LMAO!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	01010006.jpg†
Views:	27†
Size:	64.8 KB†
ID:	386702
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I think Iíll still hear the noise of the intake over the exhaust, hopefully lol once I can get out for a test ride Iíll find out lol

Well, with them Turna Dumps, I'd be wearing top dollar ear plugs. I do when I ride that B-King. It's not bad putt-putting around. But when you get out on the open road and open that throttle, and that exhaust throttle opens, LOOK OUT BELOW! LOUD! I get compliments all the time on how awesome those Yoshimura pipes sound. And even with ear plugs, they're LOUD!

With Cobra Tri Pros, that are 10 years old, and they in fact did get better with age, I still hear the intake over the exhaust. I told a dude that asked me a few days ago that the pipes aren't that loud. But when I started it for him, his eyes bulged. I guess maybe my hearings getting worse! LMAO!
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Certainly speaks volumes to Darkwing's original design and instructions for Chrispy to have duplicated it so accurately - looks like an OEM kit! Well done to both of you. Look forward to seeing it in person in May, Chrispy!