Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

Default Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

Sour Harley Grapes
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158671

I was reading the above thread and it led me to start up this related thread. While I'm using the above grapes thread as the direct reference, there are numerous threads that are similar to this as they pop up every week or two it seems.

You know, I love motorcycles...period. There are Suzuki's I like, and some I do not. There are HD's I like, and some I do not etc. My biggest thing with HD is that it really seems like it is a "seen one, seen em all" type of bike, a dime a dozen. My wife, who likes my 9 but isn't a big motorcycle chick or anything like that, made the comment the other day after we passed a big group of HD's... "I'm glad you have this bike, no other bikes look like it, whereas all of those other bikes we passed looked about the same". That's why I love my 9 over an HD, it stands out.

Now, let me go out on a limb for a moment and make an observation that I think is interesting...

You can't help but notice how all of the HD people do everything they can to show they ride an HD. They have the shirts, jackets, stickers on their pickup truck window and I'm sure some have on their HD boxers or thongs underneath it all. They own an HD and they are proud of it and want everyone to know it.

This seems contrary to our 9 community in ways. Here it seems like many want their Suzuki completely "debadged", no sign of what the bike is... "keep em guessing" etc. I know for most it's about the look, but to anyone outside of the 9 community, it may come off as being embarrassed and trying to hide what we ride. Am I saying that people on this site are embarrassed or hiding what they ride... No, I'm just making an observation of how it could appear.

I semi-debadged this past week by removing the M109r stickers on the side and previously had removed the Suzuki off the tail of the 9. I did this because of how it looked as many do. I'm proud to own a Suzuki and when I'm asked what kind of bike it is, I answer "it's a Suzuki M109r" proudly. I plan to always have something on it that shows what it is, whether it be the Suzuki "S" on the speedo housing or the Boulevard badge on the tank. If I ever repaint, I hope I'll keep Suzuki on it as well, something along the lines of how Bobbymac did his 9.
    Last edited by g9r; 07-12-2012 at 05:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Embarrassed? Nope.

I like the de-badged look. I'm not embarrassed in the least I ride a Zuk. It's just my preference to have a ride w/ no markings. As far as the HD guys, it's like a status thing for most of them and they want you to know what they are riding. JMO of course. If they want to spend exorbitant amounts of money in apparel and aftermarket goodies to rep their bikes, more power to them.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

awesome topic...

for me, i was AT the harley dealer looking at bikes when i saw mine in thier used vehicle section.obviosly i bought it. frankly, i fell in love with it, hadnt even heard the motor. as for badges, its a "looks" issue, my GMC truck is also completely debadged and i even work a a GMC dealership. i have recently purchased an M109R jacket from another member here and i like it but honestly i feel no need to own suzuki underwear and all that other crap...in fact, i would be embarrassed to own so much fluff with the suzuki name, its just not who i am. i ride for enjoyment only, its not my "culture" and honestly, my wallet couldnt support being a typical harley owner ! i cant tell one harley from the next except for the vrod and sporster, all the others are just a form of alphabet soup.

2007 Black M109R, Metzler 260/160,Debadge/Beav,HK Sideburner,Cobra Power Pro CVT,dropped 2",PC'd wheels,Ducks Cowl with LED's (yes,the rear seat cowl ! ),Kury all around,Holley Intakes,Garmin,2" Risers,Driver Backrest, Jardine Quick release billet backrest,Tach relocate,Odyssey battery, YS side plate,Alarm,V-stream sport, Factory engine guards, matuza GA bags on ghost brackets, Throttle tamer, jt's night rider. Gel seat, more to come

Default Not at all embarrassed.......

I am not at all embarrassed to own and ride a non-HD bike. I spent a good amount of time on my decision to buy a bike. I looked at several "metrics", HD's and Victories. The M109R stood out for me, end of story. HD riders get caught up in the hype, "look at me, I'm a biker" hence all the HD clothing, stickers, lunch boxes .... They also want to throw out the "American made" tag line when in reality HD imports just over 40% of their parts from overseas, so they are 59% American Made. I was at a local bar this last Saturday for the UFC fight and when I pulled in there were about a dozen bikes parked out front (10 of them HD's) I pulled up a parked right next to them. After the fights were over I went out and found a crowd (15 +) around the M109 and when I walked up they all wanted to know what kind of bike it was. I responded "This is the Suzuki M109R", a few were shocked that it was a Suzuki and not a custom bike. One guy asked "it came from the factory like that?" (mine is stock, no mods - yet). I found this very satisfying, people love the look of the M109. I also couldn't help but notice that no one was really paying any attention to the HD's, as you stated, "seen one, seen em all".

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the
    United States; 1985

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

I just think the badges take away from the lines and the paint. .. NOT IN THE LEAST .... love riding a suzuki... and have never liked hd but that is why they make so many different bikes everyone has there own preferances....
    BONE STOCK

Very Active Member

Fat Boy had been my dream bike for about 20 years - just could never afford one. Bought my 109 last year while I was IN a HD dealership - on the 109, which a friend had loaned to me while he was on vacation. Walked outside, said would rather have the 109 - better looking bike, FAR more reasonably priced for what I was getting. Friend called me as I was standing there, offered me the 109 for $8000, for a 2009 with 11,000 km on it (and sissybars, cobra swept, PCV, vstream, etc.). Agreed to by it on the spot.

Within 20 minutes, I had started to debadge it. JUST because the bike looks so much better without it - need to bring out those lines. And so started the very familiar to everyone mod bug.

I proudly tell everyone I am driving a Suzuki - and my bike gets a LOT of attention. Couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks - I love my 109. And by paying a lot less for the bike, I can do so much more to it. And it still stand out, unlike the 80,000 harleys you see on the road that all look the same. They are just too many of them on the road for them to mean much - I want my bike to look a little different than the crowds of sport bikes or harleys. Having a bike that I can actually trust to take a trip in is nice as well - I have had TWO friends break down on their brand new harley's - on the way home from the dealership.

Very Active Member

I will ride into a harley dealership and park right there with them. What can they say to get under my skin? "get a real bike"? I will tell them to pick the bike show, pick the track, or pick the street they want to get their a$$ handed to them on. If they are cool, I give them the exactly same respect back. To me it is simply about the brotherhood of riding, not any specific brand.

I myself am proud to ride metric, have had all 4 metric makers bikes over the years, 8 in toll, (should have kept the VF1000R though), and have never looked the other way, drove my friends fat boy 2 years ago for the first time, got home and thought no big deal, kinda cluncked through all the gears, now in my home town there is alot of HD's and there's always that peer pressure to ride an HD, I'm so glad I have never caved into that pressure and always rode my own ride, that being said I love my 9 and have met the greatest people the past few years at the Meets and wouldn't change a thing, this is where I belong.
    2008 M109R2, "SS" Theme, 69 Camero Hugger Orange Paint, Raw Pipe, Thunder air, Cobra Pro Auto Tuner, 260 / 160 Metz's, Chrome Stock Wheels, Seat by Abe, 2" Bar Ext, Barons Fender Eliminator, Squirrel Chrome Cover, Chrome Fork Covers,M50 Floorboards, Rear Caliper Relocate, All S/S Braided Lines, Lowered Front, L&M Chin Spoiler

When I was looking for a cruiser I actually looked at one of these Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hshd2.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	71389 Because I new it could be turned into this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hshd1.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	71390 (Yes that is a 300 back there) But the cost for the bike along with the cost to get it looking like the second pic Also add in some more $$$$ because I would also want the engine swapped to an S&S. The 9 just made more sense. I got Reliability, Great look's, and the best part-A Great price More than happy with my choice Oh yeah and if you look at the 2nd pic you will notice no badging there either.

Default Embarrassed?

I'm so embarrassed that I ride two non HD bIkes...

Not in the least, in fact I go out of my way to ride past the HD conga line at bike nights. I think that by now most HD riders know what a 109 is and pretty much respect that.

Breaking News...my next bike will not be an HD either...
    "
    Never underestimate old age and treachery"

not embarrassed at all, like the feeling and knowing out bikes are different and they stand out more than any HD ive seen
    Robert Booty

"I WOULD RATHER BE AN OPEN SINNER THAN A FALSE SAINT"

Very Active Member

I still have the badges on my 9, but they'll be coming off this winter when I get it repainted...the only Suzuki badge that'll still be on the bike is the small holographic one on the speedo housing...badges just wouldn't look right over the new paint...I love the reactions I get when I tell people its a Suzuki...good or bad...I've got a comeback for just about any of the bad ones people can throw at me, and the good ones don't need a comeback...most of them are good tho....last night a lady that appeared to be about 60 walked up and said she wanted THAT bike, pointing to my 9, which was parked among several Harleys...then she said I never knew Suzuki made a bike that bad ass lookin....cool lady!
    Last edited by grampi; 07-12-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hshd1.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	71390
    I knew I'd get some great replies and as always, the 9 community does not disappoint! Keep em coming. On a side note, the pipes in the above HD are interesting.

Very Active Member

Great Topic! I too am one that likes clean body lines without badges. That's car's, trucks, or motorcycles.

I like the sales pitch. Man when you buy a Harley Davidson, you're not buying a bike man. You're buying a culture a way of life.

Really I wanted a V-Rod real bad. I had the guy ram the thing down my throat. It's fast, it's fast, it's real fast!!! A Suzuki M109R won't stay with it. Then I sat on it and well I'm 6'3, about 6'4 on a good day and run around 300 pounds. I felt like Grape Ape with the wife on the back. Way to small of a bike. So straight to the Suzi dealer I went and never looked back. Even an ultra classic feels small to me.

Anyway it is what it is. Bike nights are filled with all the same HD bikes and the guys and girls with all the HD wear and every accessory imaginable. With my job I get to deal with both Metric and HD dealers all over the South East. For the most part you walk into a HD dealer it's clean and the staff is friendly and inviting. You go into a Metric dealer it's over filled or empty and poorly merchandised. Nobody has a clue as to what's going on. The parts department guys always seem aggravated and the service department is always looking to screw somebody out of a warranty claim. It's night and day. You'd think it would be the other way around but not from what I've seen.

And to give credit where it's due. I 'd have to thank the Harley Techs I met back in 2007 that became my friends and got me wanting to ride to begin with. So all in all I'm not ashamed to ride my Suzuki.

I was committed to getting a VRod for a couple of years, but shortly before I made an offer on one, i saw my first M109. I decided at that instant that this is the bike I want, regardless of what brand it was. I was shocked that it was a Suzuki...but very pleased at what a bargain they were since I was anticipating forking out the bucks for a VRod. I still like the VRod, but absolutely love my 109 and am in no way embarrased that it's a non-HD. Some styling aspects I'm not so fond of, so I got rid of them...like the rear lollipop turn signals, rear beaver tail, and stick-on emblems. I do like the tank badge though...

Default Not into the names, Period.

Honestly, I get frustrated that my wife has fallen victim to the Harley Hype. By Hype I mean that she owns a lot of HD gear. She had a V rod so, no big deal. She worked part time at the Harley Stealer up in Olymipia. Still, No problem, the clothes look fine, I'm ok with that. But the fact that she is so dead set on a Road King over much better bikes out there. We looked a a sweet Victory Crossroads 8 Ball the other day. The bike was cool, I'd ride the snot out of it. But she is unsure cause she still wants the King. Oh well, we'll keep looking. I have found that the HD riders that don't respect other makes have issues that run deeper than what bike someone owns. I leave it at that. I'm of the mindset,"just shut up and Ride." That is why we have these things. I belong to the Ranger Assoc, the 25th Inf Div assoc, The AGC, The ASSC, etc... I dont want to have a bike to fit in. I have more groups than I have time already. I just love my 9. I'll get another sport bike down the road to satisfy the urges (Won't do Ducati just to be cool either) but for now, the 9 is more than a great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    I myself am proud to ride metric, have had all 4 metric makers bikes over the years, 8 in toll, (should have kept the VF1000R though), and have never looked the other way, drove my friends fat boy 2 years ago for the first time, got home and thought no big deal, kinda cluncked through all the gears, now in my home town there is alot of HD's and there's always that peer pressure to ride an HD, I'm so glad I have never caved into that pressure and always rode my own ride, that being said I love my 9 and have met the greatest people the past few years at the Meets and wouldn't change a thing, this is where I belong.
    First - What kind of headlight kit did you put on your M109R?

The only reason we let you stick around is because of Tina!

Quote Originally Posted by STL-TIGER View Post
    First - What kind of headlight kit did you put on your M109R?

The only reason we let you stick around is because of Tina!
    I met Tina at the MAM and she was a pleasure to talk to.

I am not at all embarrassed to say that I ride a Suzuki Boulevard. Heck, while many have probably thought to themselves "what a heck", I am sure that their mentally changes once they see it in person or I show them photos. I don't go out all decked out in Suzuki gear, but I do wear my original M109R jacket that I won at the MAM--It is a heavy jacket but I love it. I also on occassions wear my "Dickies" shop shirt with the M109R silhouette. BTW, I do like my badges and I got the pictures to prove it.

-2008 M109R "The Silver Bullet"
    -2013 HD Road King "The Orange Crush"
    -2015 HD Sportster Iron "TBD"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
    With my job I get to deal with both Metric and HD dealers all over the South East. For the most part you walk into a HD dealer it's clean and the staff is friendly and inviting. You go into a Metric dealer it's over filled or empty and poorly merchandised. Nobody has a clue as to what's going on. The parts department guys always seem aggravated and the service department is always looking to screw somebody out of a warranty claim. It's night and day. You'd think it would be the other way around but not from what I've seen.
    Robert brings up a good point. I'm never embarrassed to say I ride a Suzuki but I wish we got treated like the Harley guys do. At an H.D. dealership they roll out the red carpet for you. Just not the same treatment typically from the metric dealers. Also the sheer numbers of Harleys out there dictate there are tons of aftermarket parts and accessories. The 9 being a rare animal makes the search a bit more difficult. But it's also this same rarity that makes the 9 stand out among the pack and you gotta love that!
    "I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not sure . . . "

Quote Originally Posted by Landlubber View Post
    I wish we got treated like the Harley guys do. At an H.D. dealership they roll out the red carpet for you. Just not the same treatment typically from the metric dealers
    when you spend as much money as they do they'll roll out the carpet for you too.

You want Metric love? buy a goldwing and see how they'll treat you then. no one give a Flying F about anyone unless there's $$ in it. Don't expect to be treated like a king when the product we have cost less than used hyandai lol.

Be realistic people .

The uniform does not bring you honor, YOU must bring honor to the uniform. Don't expect automatic respect just because you wore one.

I don't think that debadging is a sign of embarrassment.

I think it looks custom and with the way most of us have the mod bug it is a very easy way to get a little nicer look. When my bike was stock I liked the badges, I did quite a few mods before I was ready to take them off. Even then I wasn't sure I wanted to remove the badges, it took a lot of thinking and worrying about it before I finally committed.

I enjoy the process of making this bike mine, an extension of my taste and preferences, something different than other 9's. Sure we all debadge, but it is a small part of the customization process.

Some bikes look good with badges, other don't come with badges. Consider the Raider, or the Stratoliner, etc. these bikes don't come with tank badges. Other bikes need the badges to look right. I saw a debadged Valkyrie once that just had a huge open space on the tank that was begging for a badge.

9 owners are different than a lot of Harley owners. We bought a bike because no one else had one and there aren't many on the road. Harley's are obviously not that way, there are lots on the road. Doesn't mean one way is right and the other wrong, just different, the typical 9 owner prefers to stand out as different.

I have always been this way. I rode a Suzuki RF900RR because I like it and I had never seen another one. Not like a GSKR, CBR, or R1. My first car that I still have is a 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi, I have only ever seen 2 others in my state. I like it and it is rare. The 9 made perfect sense to me. That said, I did ride a Fat Bob before I bought my 9, if it hadn't been so damn expensive and underpowered I might have bought it. The 9 was just more bike for the money.

So I debadged because to me, it looks good and that is all I care about. I imagine it is the same for lots of others.

(BTW: I am getting sick of the Harley bashing threads. Who gives a damn what some other guy rides, I sure don't. Get over it and enjoy your ride and let the other guy enjoy his.)
    2007 M109R Pearl White - Mods: Gutted/Debaffled Exhaust, Yana Shiki 2" Bones, TDE TRE, V-Stream Windshield, Debadged, Debeavered, Kury Rear Tails, Tach Relocated, Kury ISO Grips, Kury Transformer Throttle Boss, Baron Bullet Bar Ends, Kury Switchblade Pegs, Cyclehouse Levers, Boulevard Mirrors, Rivco Highway Pegs, Corbin Seat, Metz 240/160. ​RIP

Quote Originally Posted by v8killer View Post
    when you spend as much money as they do they'll roll out the carpet for you too.

You want Metric love? buy a goldwing and see how they'll treat you then. no one give a Flying F about anyone unless there's $$ in it. Don't expect to be treated like a king when the product we have cost less than used hyandai lol.

Be realistic people .
    It's sad to think it's unrealistic to expect good treatment from a dealer unless you're spending hoards of cash. And I was at a Hyundai dealer once, they treated me very nicely . . .
    "I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not sure . . . "

I love my bike and I have never been shy about telling anyone what I ride. I like a lot of bikes and I dont understand these guys that act like if you dont ride HD bikes your not good enough. I have owned 2 Harleys and a several jap bikes and have enjoyed them all. If you ride, your in my brotherhood and I dont care if you ride a HD or not. 1%ers are HD only guys and all the rest of the posers are just following along.
    ]I would rather be homeless than chromeless. She's got a few shinny do-dads on her.

I am not at all embarrassed by my ride. I love my 9. I do not, however, like the Boulevard emblem on the tank, I think it detracts from the look of the bike so I do want to debadge it.

I will keep the M109R badge, and likely the Suzuki on the rear fender.

2011 M109R - no longer stock and no longer running

Quote Originally Posted by Landlubber View Post
    It's sad to think it's unrealistic to expect good treatment from a dealer unless you're spending hoards of cash. And I was at a Hyundai dealer once, they treated me very nicely . . .
    what you call good treatment is a fake smile and fluff while the guy you're talking to is unscrewing the KY jelly cap. good treatment comes from friends and family (and even that is debatable sometimes lol) not from ANY business. This statement rings even more true for someone who doesn't think so and thinks they've been treated with a red carpet roll out because a business cared about anything other than how much money they could make from them.

It could just be me, but i've dealt with enough people in the real world and in more countries than 1 to think otherwise, and it's this kind of thinking that allows me to live without ever being disappointed with anyone.
    Last edited by v8killer; 07-12-2012 at 06:36 PM.

The uniform does not bring you honor, YOU must bring honor to the uniform. Don't expect automatic respect just because you wore one.

I'm proud of my bike and not embarrassed at all. I just bought a M109R jacket from a member here, I had a t-shirt made with "M109R Boulevard" on the back and a Suzuki S on the upper left chest and I need to buy some vinyl stickers from ThrowerB for my cars and truck. The idea that you're "unamerican" if you ride "rice" is crap. Over opinionated jackasses with tiny dicks can't just be happy with there choice and live and let live. Why is it that every douche bag that throws his leg over a Harley thinks he's a Hells Angel? Don't get me wrong I'm definitely not saying ALL Harley riders are douche bags but we've all ran into at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LOFLYR View Post
    (BTW: I am getting sick of the Harley bashing threads. Who gives a damn what some other guy rides, I sure don't. Get over it and enjoy your ride and let the other guy enjoy his.)
    Don't read them, then! In my opinion, Hardleys deserve to be bashed.

I'm not embarrassed to ride a Suzuki. I'd be embarrassed if I wasted my money on a Hardly Ableson...

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Where did you get that shirt bro

Quote Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
    I am not at all embarrassed to say that I ride a Suzuki Boulevard. Heck, while many have probably thought to themselves "what a heck", I am sure that their mentally changes once they see it in person or I show them photos. I don't go out all decked out in Suzuki gear, but I do wear my original M109R jacket that I won at the MAM--It is a heavy jacket but I love it. I also on occassions wear my "Dickies" shop shirt with the M109R silhouette. BTW, I do like my badges and I got the pictures to prove it.