Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

yeah not embarrassed here. I have always been more attracted to metric cruisers. I am happy to have a bike that looks different and better than the other bikes. most HD's look the same. I also dont think I could get past the vibrations all the time.
    2014 M109R B.O.S.S.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Would you be embarrassed to be seen on one of these? I'd sport it!

http://youtu.be/lo_zXe2UWKw
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I had the M109r for 6 yrs and the attention it got was crazy.. even with all the logos they would still ask me what it was.. But now I ride another metric and this one puts them in a loop, they would be talking to me for a while about my Harley and they would walk around if for a few minutes but I notice the confusion in their faces, then later the famous question, What kind of Harley is this... (Yamaha Raider) a what? lol

Last edited by JoelM109R; 02-06-2015 at 10:06 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

That Raider has nice lines on it, but the exhaust system looks cartoonish on it. A simple 2-into-1 system like a Sideburner would make a total package.
    2012 M109R LE Power Commander V, XTRE, K&N intakes and filters, Sideburner, VStream Windscreen, lowering links, Cobra passenger pad

Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

If I were ever embarrassed to ride any brand of bike, I would be embarrassed to ride at all. I have never ridden a bike that didn't put a smile on my face. Of course, the 9 did put the biggest smile on my face most of the time.

The thing that embarrasses me is other riders who embarrass themselves by thinking the brand they are sitting on is better than the one I am on. I'm in this hobby for me, don't worry about me, I'm fine.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot383 View Post
    That Raider has nice lines on it, but the exhaust system looks cartoonish on it. A simple 2-into-1 system like a Sideburner would make a total package.
    They also need to figure out how to get rid of that big gap between the top of the front head and the steering head....

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    They also need to figure out how to get rid of that big gap between the top of the front head and the steering head....
    They would have to change the rake. it needs that space for turning. I can't see it when I'm riding it so it doesn't bother me. They should make a fairing that at least camouflages it.

See, you can't see it here!

I also agree that the stock exhaust isn't the most appealing there is, but I do like the swepts on it too, moreso than the 2 into 1. Fortunately, they make a lot of options so each person can pick and choose to ride it the way they want to.

Corbin has a wrap around that covers that gap, also aftermarket air intake will cover the hole!, but it don't bother me at all since my bike is all black,I actually like the stock exhaust but I will cut the end tips about half of it, and the sound is amazing once you remove the inside!
    Last edited by JoelM109R; 02-08-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Very Active Member Switchmonkey's Avatar

My local small town shop is an HD dealership that also dabbles in Honda and Zuki service. Needless to say, that place is always crawling with HD guys and their hardware. I went in there for my break-in servicing with my stock B.O.S.S. and found several guys standing around the bike where the mechanic had it waiting for me. They were all nodding North/South and commenting on the looks. One guy asked what model HD it was (it still has the Zuki badging!) I told him it was an FHD Classic. Yeah, I love my 9. Embarrassed, never. My bike is unique in this county, and never ceases to draw admiration wherever I go.

Btw... FHD Classic = F*ck Harley Davidson...Classic!

2014 FHD Classic (Gone... F6B in the barn now!)
    2015 VRSCF (Gone... XDiavel in the barn now!)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

FHD Classic, LOL
    2007 M109R, Mods: Avon Air Grips, Custom Derby Cover, Rivco Brake Pedal, TRE.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post
    That's because they don't like going fast enough to make the bugs splatter, takes time to clean them up.
    Diggin up an old thread but this reminded me of a mate who used to ride a Harley.
    He was proud to be slow in everything he did, Spoke slow, walked slow, ate slow and rode slow.
    If he was in the group you got to know the other riders very well as we would stand around and chat for hours waiting for Slo Jo at various intersections and catch up points.
    He was the only guy at the end of a ride that would need to scrape the bugs of the back of his helmet!

This thread was before my time, but now that it has been revivied, I will chime in with:

F*K NO!? I feel embarrassed for those HD riders who think paying all that extra $$$ somehow makes them special. As far as I can tell, it just makes them low on cash.

One major reason I don't see myself ever owning an HD...is because everyone has one. That makes them boring. Sure, buy a black Street Glide. Come out of the bar and spend the next 20 minutes figuring out which one is yours. Nope. 3 different places to change oil-nope. Change cam chain tensioners every 15k-nope. Pay way, way too much for 1960s level performance (and styling)-nope.

I had a Rocket III Roadster-that was a fun bike-good combination of performance, comfort and style (like it or hate it) and "presence". I sold it and bought an Indian Roadmaster. Lots of nice features HD doesn't offer. Unfortunately some of the same negatives-overpriced, underpowered and HOT air-cooled lawnmower engine. And now the M109R. Perhaps the best of the bunch-nearly the performance of the R3R, with less weight, (arguably) more stylish, and not a leg or nut baker. With a lot more Suzuki dealers around than Triumph ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M109R.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	384134

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmonkey View Post
    My local small town shop is an HD dealership that also dabbles in Honda and Zuki service. Needless to say, that place is always crawling with HD guys and their hardware. I went in there for my break-in servicing with my stock B.O.S.S. and found several guys standing around the bike where the mechanic had it waiting for me. They were all nodding North/South and commenting on the looks. One guy asked what model HD it was (it still has the Zuki badging!) I told him it was an FHD Classic. Yeah, I love my 9. Embarrassed, never. My bike is unique in this county, and never ceases to draw admiration wherever I go.

Btw... FHD Classic = F*ck Harley Davidson...Classic!

now that is classic.
    Last edited by IdahoRenegade; 06-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
    One major reason I don't see myself ever owning an HD...is because everyone has one. That makes them boring. Sure, buy a black Street Glide. Come out of the bar and spend the next 20 minutes figuring out which one is yours. Nope. 3 different places to change oil-nope. Change cam chain tensioners every 15k-nope. Pay way, way too much for 1960s level performance (and styling)-nope.

I had a Rocket III Roadster-that was a fun bike-good combination of performance, comfort and style (like it or hate it) and "presence". I sold it and bought an Indian Roadmaster. Lots of nice features HD doesn't offer. Unfortunately some of the same negatives-overpriced, underpowered and HOT air-cooled lawnmower engine. And now the M109R. Perhaps the best of the bunch-nearly the performance of the R3R, with less weight, (arguably) more stylish, and not a leg or nut baker. With a lot more Suzuki dealers around than Triumph ones.
    I totally agree.

I never badmouth them because to each their own, but if someone asks me why I don't get a HD instead, they get the long list of reasons.

I don't like the cool-aid drinkers and would never be part of this.

My M109 is great AND reliable...

I'm not embarrassed to won any bike. Would never own a Hardley though. Just not my thing. And the price? WTF
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Ridden both Japanese and HD in my time. Rode a Road King for 5 years before getting my 109. It was a nice ride but under powered (I like the sport bike power w/o the sport bike position). I looked seriously at the VRod, Fat Bob and FXDR. Very eye catching but at the end of the day the HD were 2X the price and the 109 outperforms them. I can do a lot of enhancements to my 109 for $16g.

Not embarrassed at all to ride my 109. IMHO the 109's reliability is head and shoulders about the HD and I would rather ride than brag about my HD ride which spends most of its time in the shop! LOL
    Last edited by LLTim44549; 06-12-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLTim44549 View Post
    Ridden both Japanese and HD in my time. Rode a Road King for 5 years before getting my 109. It was a nice ride but under powered (I like the sport bike power w/o the sport bike position). I looked seriously at the VRod, Fat Bob and FXDR. Very eye catching but at the end of the day the HD were 2X the price and the 109 outperforms them. I can do a lot of enhancements to my 109 for $16g.

Not embarrassed at all to ride my 109. IMHO the 109's reliability is head and shoulders about the HD and I would rather ride than brag about my HD ride which spends most of its time in the shop! LOL

HD hasn't changed much I guess. When I was a kid, my Dad had one. 74 full dresser. The old AMF days. Spent more time in the shop than on the road. My M109R, only time it spends in the shop is gettin tires. Mikey likes it!
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Never!!!!!

My bike get's more looks, questions, compliments and people wanting to get pictures with it when parked for a coffee/smoke break. These bikes stand out unlike majority of Harley's that are black and look the same. I do all the big charity rides with a lot that are around 100 bikes and usually start, end and sponsored by the local Harley dealership. The owners always make sure and say they are all inclusive no what you ride, other than HOG rides of course but personally I'd never own one. For the price and lack of performance and reliability I'll be riding Jap Scrap until I can't ride anymore and am not intimidated by Harley peer pressure. I find it rarely that Harley people thumb their noses up. Of course lots of ribbing that goes back and forth all in good fun.

We ride the most beautiful bike out there, in my opinion. God tells us not to be prideful, but it's hard not too when you see all of the heads turning to look at your bike. I'm proud (not too much) to ride my 9.

My bike gets so many people to stop and stare. Most can't even figure out what it is. After having the shields color matched to the Burple.. I will ride this bike to the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2006 Blurple M109R

Blurple is probably one of the nicest and most definitely rarest color Nines out there. A friend has one. He's up there at 80 years old and has ridden it in over a year. I bought his B-King in 2017. He sold his Busa the year previous. Should he decide to sell his Blurple Nine, I may be tempted to have three bikes again. Keep my nice mucho modified silver, keep the blurple near stock, as it is now. Only thing he's done is the chrome surround to the tail light and the LA Choppers xXx Big Airs, which I bought and installed for him.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING