Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

Interesting thread. I think the OP wanted to know why people debadge their bikes. After reading this thread all the way through I think the answer was never really about what badge you wear or choose not to wear.

It's what's inside that really matters.
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, 2011 Victory Cross Country, 2003 Yamaha Roadstar, too many mods to list

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Wow, a really old thread brought back to life. Nice. Great reading.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    Oh, one of them 49 HP sporties, eh? Was the carb out of whack on your 360?

Yes, it's EXACTLY what shooter said. Go brag about your HDs on a HD forum. You don't hear me bragging about my VMax or my Goldwing here, do you? No? Because I HAVE A LITTLE COMMON SENSE!!!
    49 HP? Did it have a blower?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

It pisses me off the auto dealers put a badge on vehicles they sell, dont like them there or on my ride.
    Bully Bagger

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    49 HP? Did it have a blower?
    Must have Grampi cause I think they are only 46 HP stock.

I decided on the Big S M109r mainly for its looks as I was on a business trip and saw one parked up by the building and fell in love with it. I had to walk around it to awhile to find out what it was. I ended up buying my M109r without ever riding one. I like to be different as with all my rides I only have one that is average its my wife's mini van everything else I drive is totally attention hogs. I have a Dodge Magnum show car that's won Dodge of the year two years in a row that's so customized people ask what it is. I also drive a Roush supercharged Mustang, a 82 Chevy truck that's lifted with 44" tires custom paint and body mods, and working on building a Porsche 917 lemans racer replica. So needless to say I don't run with the in crowd. I don't buy based on a brand names I buy based on looks , performance, creativity. The M109 fits all of that has killer looks and stance, better hang on to the handle bars power. Handles better than other cruiser bikes as its balanced with a low CG. Ive had Hondas, Yamaha, Kawasaki but I wouldn't trade my M109 for any of them. The bike handles great for a big beast, is one of the most comfortable bikes Iam 5'7" so I sit stretched out in a very comfortable position. All the power you would ever need. Don't have to worry about looking cookie cutter as I have only seen two in my city where as there are tons of HD that all look alike. When people ask what kind a bike it is I proudly say it's a Suzuki M109R I also wear a leather jacket that has A big Suzuki S right in the middle chest area for all to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	image.jpg†
Views:	90†
Size:	81.9 KB†
ID:	237833

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Star View Post
    I decided on the Big S M109r mainly for its looks as I was on a business trip and saw one parked up by the building and fell in love with it. I had to walk around it to awhile to find out what it was. I ended up buying my M109r without ever riding one. I like to be different as with all my rides I only have one that is average its my wife's mini van everything else I drive is totally attention hogs. I have a Dodge Magnum show car that's won Dodge of the year two years in a row that's so customized people ask what it is. I also drive a Roush supercharged Mustang, a 82 Chevy truck that's lifted with 44" tires custom paint and body mods, and working on building a Porsche 917 lemans racer replica. So needless to say I don't run with the in crowd. I don't buy based on a brand names I buy based on looks , performance, creativity. The M109 fits all of that has killer looks and stance, better hang on to the handle bars power. Handles better than other cruiser bikes as its balanced with a low CG. Ive had Hondas, Yamaha, Kawasaki but I wouldn't trade my M109 for any of them. The bike handles great for a big beast, is one of the most comfortable bikes Iam 5'7" so I sit stretched out in a very comfortable position. All the power you would ever need. Don't have to worry about looking cookie cutter as I have only seen two in my city where as there are tons of HD that all look alike. When people ask what kind a bike it is I proudly say it's a Suzuki M109R I also wear a leather jacket that has A big Suzuki S right in the middle chest area for all to see.
    WTH is that low rider?? Nice,,,,,

Yea it's bagged so it sits on the ground when aired down. I tore the cross member out of it once by hitting the highway reflectors on the road when I blew a air line, I changed to stainless braided line soon after that. It's got custom everything interior, paint , one off hood mods, custom engine close out and airbrush work everywhere.

Banned

So what is it? lol

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/295782...q9WOYPc.mailto
    Here is what it is. If you click on the link towards the middle of the bottom page it's got more pictures of the Magnum

Banned

Default ahh Magnum

Thats what I was thinkin. NICE job..........

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Must have Grampi cause I think they are only 46 HP stock.
    I think they're less than that....

I think that is with the squalking chicken option.

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Star View Post
    That's the difference between men and boys, the price of their toys!
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Very Active Member

Due to an altercation with a car decades ago, my left leg does not agree with the ergonomics of a Harley. I cannot shift it comfortably, and the models with the heel/ toe shifter didn't feel right either. I could ride a V-Rod OK, but it doesn't compare to a M109R.
    2012 M109R LE Power Commander V, XTRE, K&N intakes and filters, Sideburner, VStream Windscreen, lowering links, Cobra passenger pad

Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

So I figured you might enjoy an outsiders perspective on this one.

I drove a Fatboy across Arizona and Nevada about a year ago and got comments almost everywhere I stopped, all of them positive. I was even asked to pose for a photo with an Italian chick.
    Since I'm not from the country I started conversations with anyone interested, especially other riders and whenever they'd ask the usuals (how's it treating you, what's it like, etc) I'd reply with "I prefer my Honda" and get responses ranging between "Heathen!" and "Wow, really?".

People who don't ride don't know better and those that do are either die-hards, wannabe's or have actually tried different bikes and know what's up.

On the trip we had a few different HD's in my group (all new rentals) and the experience was pretty much the same. I had to manhandle everything from the clutch and brakes to the steering. If things weren't jiggling, they were too tight. Things were done with an unhealthy *clunk* and apart from a good seat and a nice sound, there wasn't anything smooth about it.
    That should come as no surprise, but the point is that if that's the general gist of a Harley, then there's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of when you say you prefer your Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or what have you.

Harley riders (or any other brand fanatic) who think the badge is all that matters remind me of the kids back in school who would wear specific brands of clothing and brag about it. They're insecure and need expensive things to rely on for acceptance.

-

Brands or even models of anything are just things people gather around, like a dedicated forum to a specific bike As long as people don't start mistreating others for their choice or prefference, it's all good.
    My old man has driven CitroŽn's since the 2CV for plenty of reasons, but you'll never hear him say that he swears to them or that they're the best cars you can get, he just likes them.

If you show confidence when you're driving or showing off your 9, then that's your answer. You have something you love and you're proud of and that's all that matters.

Default HD Has Two Problems

I have 2 problems with HD. They are too expensive and too slow. The HD should stand for hundred dollars cause anything with the logo will cost at
    least that much.

Considering how many folks ask me what model harley my bike is, I'd swear I was riding one. Hell, my bike still has the tank badges, and I still get asked what model harley it is. WTF

I test rode one once. When I got back, they asked if I was ready to buy it. I told them hell no, this thing is a Piece of junk! The look they gave me was priceless.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

NO, yet i do wonder what it would be like to Vibrate down the road. And look into the mirrors, to see what it looks like to have everything bouncing all around behind you! Not to mention the learning process of finding out, the best oil Absorbing rags in the market today. So Nope I'm not, EMBARRASSED
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by g9r View Post
    Sour Harley Grapes
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158671

I was reading the above thread and it led me to start up this related thread. While I'm using the above grapes thread as the direct reference, there are numerous threads that are similar to this as they pop up every week or two it seems.

You know, I love motorcycles...period. There are Suzuki's I like, and some I do not. There are HD's I like, and some I do not etc. My biggest thing with HD is that it really seems like it is a "seen one, seen em all" type of bike, a dime a dozen. My wife, who likes my 9 but isn't a big motorcycle chick or anything like that, made the comment the other day after we passed a big group of HD's... "I'm glad you have this bike, no other bikes look like it, whereas all of those other bikes we passed looked about the same". That's why I love my 9 over an HD, it stands out.

Now, let me go out on a limb for a moment and make an observation that I think is interesting...

You can't help but notice how all of the HD people do everything they can to show they ride an HD. They have the shirts, jackets, stickers on their pickup truck window and I'm sure some have on their HD boxers or thongs underneath it all. They own an HD and they are proud of it and want everyone to know it.

This seems contrary to our 9 community in ways. Here it seems like many want their Suzuki completely "debadged", no sign of what the bike is... "keep em guessing" etc. I know for most it's about the look, but to anyone outside of the 9 community, it may come off as being embarrassed and trying to hide what we ride. Am I saying that people on this site are embarrassed or hiding what they ride... No, I'm just making an observation of how it could appear.

I semi-debadged this past week by removing the M109r stickers on the side and previously had removed the Suzuki off the tail of the 9. I did this because of how it looked as many do. I'm proud to own a Suzuki and when I'm asked what kind of bike it is, I answer "it's a Suzuki M109r" proudly. I plan to always have something on it that shows what it is, whether it be the Suzuki "S" on the speedo housing or the Boulevard badge on the tank. If I ever repaint, I hope I'll keep Suzuki on it as well, something along the lines of how Bobbymac did his 9.
    Iím like you in that I really enjoy owning my C109R. Mine is set up with a solo seat, chrome highway bar, upgraded chrome mirrors and few other refinements. Itís long, thick, low, and strong. Iíve been to several large motorcycle events and still havenít seen another C109R in the flesh. The Mís are more numerous. The 109 isnít a dime a dozen bike and I like that fact.
    My C109R isnít de-badged. Iíve only removed the tacky safety stickers, warning stickers that are applied at the factory. I removed and re-positioned the C109R logoís from the side covers to the front, just under the headlight and to the rear, just above the tail light assembly. I think it looks more symmetrical and adds to the look of the bike.
    It seems as though a notable amount of HD owners own a HD to fit in with other riders and to maintain their patriotism. Some of them wouldnít really be able to give clear, legitimate reasons why they own a HD. For some, itís about fitting in. I have no problem telling people that itís a Suzuki C109R 1800CC 109Ci muscle cruiser. The last motorcycle event I attended, a HD guy sparked up conversation with me about his ď106 CiĒ motor and how much HP and torque it delivers to the rear wheel. A buddy of mine let him know that C has a fuel injected, liquid cooled, power commander, TRE, and exhaust servo eliminator and itís a 109Ci motor. It seemed to really piss of the HD guy that my HP and torque numbers were greater than his. He was trying to contain it and play it cool but you could see it all over his face. I donít go around bragging, but my buddy took the opportunity to put the HD guy in his place.
    Iíve owned several bikes over the last 14 years. Iíve had sport bikes, enduroís, and cruisers. Now I have the C109R and my Suzuki sport bike. I love motorcycle and not a particular brand or style. I donít subscribe to that school of thought, being a diehard HD guy, Honda owner, Kawasaki owner, ectÖ Most of those people who boast about their superior Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha and so on DONíT EVEN REALLY KNOW WHY THEY PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE to a particular manufacturer. Mostly itís because they happen to own that particular make and model and need to be a part of a group. I prefer to be an individual.
    I own a C109R because of its design, not because Iím all about Suzuki. I like the size of the motor, shaft drive, and fuel injection, liquid cooling, paired brake system and so on. Mine only has about 4,000 original miles and still in mint condition. Also, I only paid $4,700 for it from a private individual who was the sole owner of it until I purchased it from him. The above reasons are why I chose the C109R.
    I donít have a Suzuki helmet, C109R or 109 dew rag, vest, jacket, or bumper sticker. That look just seems too showy to me. My vest is black and so is my jacket and helmet. I like to keep it clean and low key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	C109R Highway Bar 2.jpg†
Views:	56†
Size:	77.9 KB†
ID:	238481
    2008 Suzuki C109R (sat on showroom for 3 yrs)
    Factory Pro Evo shift improver
    Power Commander III w/Exhaust Servo System REMOVED with Servo Buddy
    Exhaust baffle plate drilled modification (eight 1/2 inch holes)
    Gman Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) Cobra FATTY Highway Bar

Quote Originally Posted by TORQ View Post
    NO, yet i do wonder what it would be like to Vibrate down the road. And look into the mirrors, to see what it looks like to have everything bouncing all around behind you! Not to mention the learning process of finding out, the best oil Absorbing rags in the market today. So Nope I'm not, EMBARRASSED
    With the way that they VIBRATE, I can see why they are popular with the ladies!

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

There are just way more HD's on the road.Not so many 109's.So, not as much merchandise sold.I wonder how many 109's are on the road or units sold?

Quote Originally Posted by TORQ View Post
    NO, yet i do wonder what it would be like to Vibrate down the road. And look into the mirrors, to see what it looks like to have everything bouncing all around behind you!
    My buddy on his Road King pulls up next to me at a light mirror to mirror and his mirror is shaking like a jack hammer. He actually asked if my bike was running. His hands are always tingling after a ride. His Road King is an absolutely beautiful bike (lots of $ put into it) but it's mine that gets all the attention, and for half the price!
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    My buddy on his Road King pulls up next to me at a light mirror to mirror and his mirror is shaking like a jack hammer. He actually asked if my bike was running. His hands are always tingling after a ride. His Road King is an absolutely beautiful bike (lots of $ put into it) but it's mine that gets all the attention, and for half the price!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....I will say Harleys come with nice paint and nice chrome, but that is the extent of it for me. Other than the paint and chrome I think Harleys are very ugly bikes, especially the baggers. They have way too much garbage on them that ruins the looks...huge barn door looking farings, bags, running boards, tassels, etc...all ugly...and probably the ugliest things about Harleys is the one thing Harley guys complain the most about metrics...all of the smaller stuff that is covered up on the metrics by plastic covers is left hanging out in the open on Harleys...it all looks like it was bolted on as an afterthought...Harley needs to cover all that crap up! I'm also not a fan of the whole retro look thing, which Harley seems to base the looks of all of their models around. Like I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this is what I see when I look at Harleys...

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Considering how many folks ask me what model harley my bike is, I'd swear I was riding one. Hell, my bike still has the tank badges, and I still get asked what model harley it is. WTF

I test rode one once. When I got back, they asked if I was ready to buy it. I told them hell no, this thing is a Piece of junk! The look they gave me was priceless.
    Yeah funny how the sales guys automatically think that you're gonna buy one cos you ride one.
    As for me, certainly not embarrassed about owning my 9 over a Harley. Love that machine more each time I run into a hd rider with attitude.
    Even had a rough looking Harley owner say he likes them to but his group wouldn't allow it. Must be horrible to have to ride a bike you don't like cos your mates don't like what you like. Very sad.

Sent from my portable microwave emitter
    A man would be more interested in a womans mind if it bounced gently as she walked.

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..
    I agree and I'm not a fan of the "classic" look (or ride) either. I guess the reason I like my friend's Road King is because it's so over the top. He's got the tassels, the studs, the leather and an ungodly amount of chrome on top of that beautiful moss green flawless paint. It really is a work of art. I wouldn't own it but I certainly appreciate it for what it is. My only complaint is I'm always waiting on him in the twisties
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

That's because they don't like going fast enough to make the bugs splatter, takes time to clean them up.

Possibly, more than likely he just can't keep up though

Default Not embarrassed, feel sorry for them sometimes

No I am not embarrassed to ride a non HD bike. Although I do on occasion feel (a bit) sorry for my HD riding buddies.

It has to suck to see your big dollar bike passed over and REPEATEDLY watch people drool over my lowly 9.

Almost every time we ride, someone or someones fall all over them selves to check out my 9 and ignore the HD's. My HD riding buddies have leaned to act like they do not notice.

In Late November we stopped at a Pizza place, several patrons came out and circled my 9 ignoring my buddies brand new Ultra. I admit I felt a bit sorry for him. That had to sting.

Last week we were stopped at a light, and a guy in is 70's rolled down the window of his Red Cadillac CTS and yells, "Beautiful white bike!" The Ultra is burnt orange.