Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

Banned

Q: Why did they decide to call it the "Harley Owners Group?"
    A: Because the term "Special Ed" was already taken.

Q: How do you tell which is the Groom at a Harley owner wedding?
    A: He's the one with the CLEAN mechanic’s shirt.

LOL, All in fun,,,,,,,,

Last edited by Nemo; 08-19-2014 at 08:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I am damn proud of my 9! never been embarrassed to ride it either! the bike fits me perfect,i march to the beat of my own drum, just like the 9 does! i'll admit when I was young Harleys were cool to me because there wasn't many around. now I can't stand them. I know a lot of guys who have them and brag them up and try to put me down. hey to each his own you want to follow the herd be my guest. I am not afraid to stand out from the crowd. I also love when a Harley rider admits my bike is far superior in performance! I think they have finally gotten wise to what a 109 is not many will mess with me anymore. I have met some awesome people because of this bike, how many Harley riders can say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Q: Why did they decide to call it the "Harley Owners Group?"
    A: Because the term "Special Ed" was already taken.

Q: How do you tell which is the Groom at a Harley owner wedding?
    A: He's the one with the CLEAN mechanic’s shirt.

LOL, All in fun,,,,,,,,

Im saving these just for you....in case you need some parts for your bike in the future.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	205938
    I have a variety of colors too!
    All in good fun......

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tare View Post
    Im saving these just for you....in case you need some parts for your bike in the future.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	205938
    I have a variety of colors too!
    All in good fun......
    LIkewise I'm sure LOL. You go girl...

Very Active Member wiskeythrottle505's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by g9r View Post
    Sour Harley Grapes
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158671

I was reading the above thread and it led me to start up this related thread. While I'm using the above grapes thread as the direct reference, there are numerous threads that are similar to this as they pop up every week or two it seems.

You know, I love motorcycles...period. There are Suzuki's I like, and some I do not. There are HD's I like, and some I do not etc. My biggest thing with HD is that it really seems like it is a "seen one, seen em all" type of bike, a dime a dozen. My wife, who likes my 9 but isn't a big motorcycle chick or anything like that, made the comment the other day after we passed a big group of HD's... "I'm glad you have this bike, no other bikes look like it, whereas all of those other bikes we passed looked about the same". That's why I love my 9 over an HD, it stands out.

Now, let me go out on a limb for a moment and make an observation that I think is interesting...

You can't help but notice how all of the HD people do everything they can to show they ride an HD. They have the shirts, jackets, stickers on their pickup truck window and I'm sure some have on their HD boxers or thongs underneath it all. They own an HD and they are proud of it and want everyone to know it.

This seems contrary to our 9 community in ways. Here it seems like many want their Suzuki completely "debadged", no sign of what the bike is... "keep em guessing" etc. I know for most it's about the look, but to anyone outside of the 9 community, it may come off as being embarrassed and trying to hide what we ride. Am I saying that people on this site are embarrassed or hiding what they ride... No, I'm just making an observation of how it could appear.

I semi-debadged this past week by removing the M109r stickers on the side and previously had removed the Suzuki off the tail of the 9. I did this because of how it looked as many do. I'm proud to own a Suzuki and when I'm asked what kind of bike it is, I answer "it's a Suzuki M109r" proudly. I plan to always have something on it that shows what it is, whether it be the Suzuki "S" on the speedo housing or the Boulevard badge on the tank. If I ever repaint, I hope I'll keep Suzuki on it as well, something along the lines of how Bobbymac did his 9.

I was never one for badges no matter what bike or car I owned. Manufacturers are smart, they put their logos on stuff and we drive it around all proud. Free advertising for them, BRILLIANT!!! And we men are the worst bragging about the logo we have.

I have always de-badged what I have and never buy logo T-shirts or wear anything that has a logo unless I love love love it. Very few things I own have logos.

Think about it, we pay for Under Armor shirt, Levis, Nike crap etc. all with logos. But if you go to trade shows or events they toss em at you for free!!

Why because its free advertising and we are all Lemmings and mindless Dolts that don't get it. Start a movement, De-badge America and if you want me to wear your logo, PAY UP SUCKER!!!.

I built a bike back in the day with a Pops Yoshimura engine and beat allot of bikes at the drag strip. When I registered the bike they wanted a model and make. I thought hell Honda isn't paying me So I put down a 550 cc Mark. Everyone thought it was pretty funny and let me race.

Just the way I see badges, nobody gets a free ride!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wiskeythrottle505 View Post
    I was never one for badges no matter what bike or car I owned. Manufacturers are smart, they put their logos on stuff and we drive it around all proud. Free advertising for them, BRILLIANT!!! And we men are the worst bragging about the logo we have.

I have always de-badged what I have and never buy logo T-shirts or wear anything that has a logo unless I love love love it. Very few things I own have logos.

Think about it, we pay for Under Armor shirt, Levis, Nike crap etc. all with logos. But if you go to trade shows or events they toss em at you for free!!

Why because its free advertising and we are all Lemmings and mindless Dolts that don't get it. Start a movement, De-badge America and if you want me to wear your logo, PAY UP SUCKER!!!.

I built a bike back in the day with a Pops Yoshimura engine and beat allot of bikes at the drag strip. When I registered the bike they wanted a model and make. I thought hell Honda isn't paying me So I put down a 550 cc Mark. Everyone thought it was pretty funny and let me race.

Just the way I see badges, nobody gets a free ride!!!
    Ok, so when are you going to update your profile pic with no badging?

Wow... Talk about a thread resurrection . Reading thru some of the comments is funny to realize how some have come full circles. A few have taken the leap and are now Harley owners--including myself. Although, I still owe and love my M109R, I also love my Road King. Yes, my Harley is not as fast as my Nine, however, it is so much more comfortable. And I mean, so MUCH more comfortable. Trips that would take many hours are now taking even less. When I am riding the Harley, I am having to stop less frequently as I canrack the miles without fatigue. So in reality, to me speed seems to be irrelevant.

Now another thing that I love is the fact that I know that whichever problem arrises with my Harley, they will have the fortitude to own up to their problem and go the extra lenght to corrected. So, they are not only selling a brand, they are taking care of their customers. In terms of pricing which is what everyone seems to find over the top, I have not found that to be the case. I paid comparable to what M109s are currently going for and I got additional perks like thousands of dollars in gift cards as incentives. Additionally, I just completed my first service and it wasn't too far off from what I paid for the M109 four (4) years ago. So, yes I am proud of and I love my M109 and I feel the same about my Harley.

-2008 M109R "The Silver Bullet"
    -2013 HD Road King "The Orange Crush"
    -2015 HD Sportster Iron "TBD"

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
    Wow... Talk about a thread resurrection . Reading thru some of the comments is funny to realize how some have come full circles. A few have taken the leap and are now Harley owners--including myself. Although, I still owe and love my M109R, I also love my Road King. Yes, my Harley is not as fast as my Nine, however, it is so much more comfortable. And I mean, so MUCH more comfortable. Trips that would take many hours are now taking even less. When I am riding the Harley, I am having to stop less frequently as I canrack the miles without fatigue. So in reality, to me speed seems to be irrelevant.

Now another thing that I love is the fact that I know that whichever problem arrises with my Harley, they will have the fortitude to own up to their problem and go the extra lenght to corrected. So, they are not only selling a brand, they are taking care of their customers. In terms of pricing which is what everyone seems to find over the top, I have not found that to be the case. I paid comparable to what M109s are currently going for and I got additional perks like thousands of dollars in gift cards as incentives. Additionally, I just completed my first service and it wasn't too far off from what I paid for the M109 four (4) years ago. So, yes I am proud of and I love my M109 and I feel the same about my Harley.
    Can you tell me why you're fellow Harley brother have all that Harley cloth on? Isn't the badge on the bike enough? Hehe. Or aren't you one of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    New member on m109riders.com. Hope to get more knowledge and tricks.

Very Active Member

Default I like my 9

I like my m109. I also like the styling of the Harleys. I think it would be great to have both bikes like some have already posted, or even combined the two bikes.

I wish there were after market accesories for the 9 like there are for Harleys.
    I dont like Harley prices though.

I get compliments on my bike all the time and its great.

I would love to have a real cruise control on my bike like harleys do. I wish it was more comfortable. I also like that it stands out from the crowd.

I guess to sum up I like my m109 and I like other bikes as well. I am not locked into one make or model. I see things I like in different bikes.
    Mod's
    De-badged, Throttle lock\Cruise, Brake Pedal adjustment, Drilled out baffles on pipes,
    backrest mod. De-beavered, and polished wheels from Gottatooz.

Quote Originally Posted by WuggyBuggy View Post
    Can you tell me why you're fellow Harley brother have all that Harley cloth on? Isn't the badge on the bike enough? Hehe. Or aren't you one of them?

I cannot speak for others as to why the do what they want to do with their individually earned money. However, I will address your question and speak for myself.

I own a Harley helmet, gloves, key chain that they gave me with the purchase of my bike, and a single Harley Davidson shirt. I own the same items with the Boulevard branding. Why did I buy the shirt you might ask... Well, because I liked it, was comfortable with the price I paid, and it was my summer motorcycle trip to the Smoky Mountains. So, I view it as a souvenir which happens to have the Harley logo on it. Had I had sopped at the Suzuki dealer and the same shirt had had been available, I would have also bought it. But you see, Suzuki does not offer that kind of merchandise that might be specific to a certain area.

BTW, I also happen to own about 25 coffee Starbucks mugs from different countries I have visited and I don't even drink their coffee. So, when your are talking about individual desires and superb merchandizing, you have to give it to these types of companies because thei messaging continues to reach the masses.

I think some of us metric rider are at fault with the HD riders thinking we wish we had an HD, because I have showed up to bike nights and encounter a rider with a metric bike telling me I am just riding this until I can afford a Harley. or Harleys are to expensive reason I ride a metric. For me I Love Japanese products even if is more or less $, I don't care even if It looks similar to an American product or not.... I look for quality and reliable

Default I am ashamed that I don't own a Harley!

Until I look at or ride any of my three bikes I bought instead!
    There is something to be said for riding a bike that looks like everyone else's. I was late for work yesterday because some guy stopped me at the gas station to admire my nine and tell me the story of how he used to ride. Funny, everyone has a story.

Sometimes you want to be invisible and just ride. I can't say I will never own a Harley. Some day I may want to just blend in.
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, 2011 Victory Cross Country, 2003 Yamaha Roadstar, too many mods to list

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

Default Funny

[QUOTE=g9r;1664654]Sour Harley Grapes

I was reading the above thread and it led me to start up this related thread. While I'm using the above grapes thread as the direct reference, there are numerous threads that are similar to this as they pop up every week or two it seems.

You know, I love motorcycles...period. There are Suzuki's I like, and some I do not. There are HD's I like, and some I do not etc. My biggest thing with HD is that it really seems like it is a "seen one, seen em all" type of bike, a dime a dozen. My wife, who likes my 9 but isn't a big motorcycle chick or anything like that, made the comment the other day after we passed a big group of HD's... "I'm glad you have this bike, no other bikes look like it, whereas all of those other bikes we passed looked about the same". That's why I love my 9 over an HD, it stands out.

Now, let me go out on a limb for a moment and make an observation that I think is interesting...

I hear what your saying. I just came back from Kilington classic motorcycle ride. I was with two brand new Harley Street Glide specials very nice bikes. Every where we went people were admiring my bike. They couldnt tell what it was with its WOC fairing and large hard saddle bags. I was thinking of going to a C109, but after this weekend I will figure a way to make the handle bars more comfortable.
    I like Harleys too just to expensive to start and they do all look alike.
    I decided even if I get another bike the M109 will stay with me,

No but what i am embarrassed about is the resale value of the Japanese bikes.
    Kenny
    THE UGLY TRUTH...................

MT VERNON, NY ( More than likely im on the bike, i could be anywhere )

im never embarrassed to own a suzuki (3rd one ) & about to get a 2015 RG but not getting rid of my 109, they have to co-exist because im proud to OWN em both

Last few days i been at the Harley dealer because the new line up is on the floor & every time i arrive everyone wants to know what im riding, they actually come out side to be nosey, i guess. I tell em all NO im not trading this in lmao
    Last edited by MADDMOE; 08-31-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    You only live once so , dont talk about it, be about it !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MADDMOE View Post
    im never embarrassed to own a suzuki (3rd one ) & about to get a 2015 RG but not getting rid of my 109, they have to co-exist because im proud to OWN em both

Last few days i been at the Harley dealer because the new line up is on the floor & every time i arrive everyone wants to know what im riding, they actually come out side to be nosey, i guess. I tell em all NO im not trading this in lmao
    LOL They always ask me, are you ready to upgrade?? I say NO, I already did, just seeing what you are trying to sell now, They turn around and walk away haaaaaaaaaa

I could care less what anybody thinks. Most of the time there is some poor bastard in a mini van staring at my bike. I love it. I get asked all the time in traffic what kind of bike is that. M109R is all I tell them and off I go. I went to a rally recently and group of HD riders got around my bike asking all sorts of questions. I realized that they really are closed minded. I like talking motorcycle, HD guys just talk HD, Kind of sad if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    LIkewise I'm sure LOL. You go girl...

What you gonna fill those up with what you recover off the ground under her Harley?

Banned

[QUOTE=blizz6699;2717890]
    Quote Originally Posted by g9r View Post
    Sour Harley Grapes

I hear what your saying. I just came back from Kilington classic motorcycle ride. I was with two brand new Harley Street Glide specials very nice bikes. Every where we went people were admiring my bike. They couldnt tell what it was with its WOC fairing and large hard saddle bags. I was thinking of going to a C109, but after this weekend I will figure a way to make the handle bars more comfortable.
    I like Harleys too just to expensive to start and they do all look alike.
    I decided even if I get another bike the M109 will stay with me,
    "I like Harleys too just to expensive to start and they do all look alike"..........
    and 109's don't look alike?

I'm proud to own my 109 and my F6B. I've done a lot of work to both and everywhere I pull up and park people look. I keep my bikes Immaculately Clean. I don't give a shyt about what others think of my choices. I didn't see anyone but me reaching into my wallet to pay for them. I'll park my bikes next to anything and still be proud. I own these two bike because I believe them to be the best at what I want them to do. Not cause Tom, Ed, Jim, and Jerry has one. I ride my bikes hard and I expect performance. I don't want to look like everyone else , I want to look like me. In short , don't ever be embarrassed about a choice you make. It's what YOU want that matters. Make an informed decision and then 'own it'. Do whats right for you , not what your buddy thinks is right for you.

Lots of testosterone...lots!

If it's on 2 wheels, it's okay by me, whatever brand it is. Geesh...

[QUOTE=JERSEY 9;2719842]
    Quote Originally Posted by blizz6699 View Post

"I like Harleys too just to expensive to start and they do all look alike"..........
    and 109's don't look alike?
    You might want to put it down too! Last I heard, M109R was not its own BRAND of motorcycle... just saying.

OMG, Talk about beating a dead horse. Let me give all a piece of advice... With your money you can buy whatever you like and don't let anyone steer you away from your own choices. I for one would never ever buy an American car, however, I won't knock on those that choose to own them--why because is their money.

There is a saying in my native island of Puerto Rico that says, "Para los gustos se hicieron los colores y para el Culo se hicieron los mojones" ;-). It basically states that for likes colors were made and for the ass turds were made ;-). BTW, are all those oil canisters catch cans for the Nine?
    Last edited by Duende01; 09-01-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Very Active Member tonymontanna1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WuggyBuggy View Post

Um, HD has really nice looking riding gear. And Suzuki has a very limited line of "cloth".

Very Active Member SouthernFattie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonymontanna1983 View Post
    Um, HD has really nice looking riding gear. And Suzuki has a very limited line of "cloth".
    I agree with one caveat. HD has really nice looking riding gear IF IT DIDN'T HAVE THEIR LOGO AND NAME PLASTER ALL OVER IT. Looks tacky in most cases.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    Posted on my BlackBerry Z30.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    And the modding begins ....... Will it EVER end ?\

Very Active Member Captain_Waffles's Avatar

This HD nonsense has been beat to death. Enough already. Just ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mods: Cobra Auto-Tune, Velocity Pro Exhaust, Kury Grips with Maltese Cross End Caps, Custom Derby Cover, G-Man TRE, Avon Cobra 250 Rear, Metzler ME880 160 Front, Fender Extenders, Dyna-Beads, Chinese Intakes w/ K&N RC-9080 filters, Blue LED's, FB1 Billet Aluminum Driver's Floorboards, OEM Engine Guards, Scorp Poly Front Engine Mounts, De-beavered. 2" Yana Shiki Lowering Links, Kury Eclipse Convex Mirrors.

You know if some of you guys and gals don't like the question then you don't have to read the thread or the answers. To tell someone that they can't answer a question on their own forum is censorship at its most blatant form. Its simple , if the title of the thread offends you and might upset you or your HD lovin heart move on to another thread. The rest of us on the forum that wanted to answer the OP should be able to do so without harassment. After all this is an M109R site. I don't see HD anywhere at the top of the page. Most of the comments are in good fun. We all have "brothers" we ride with that have HD"s. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Very Active Member tonymontanna1983's Avatar

Wow, lots of good posts, lots of insults and hate directed at HD owners, too. The Nine tank emblem looks awkward to me, breaks up the smooth lines of the bike. So do the reflectors.

I owned a Nine and loved it, went fast and looked good, been there, done that. But know what my girl and I loved more? Riding. Riding a lot. See those red states on the below pic? That was done in a year and a half on my Street Glide. No trailering involved. The Sturgis trip I just got back from was the most fun I've ever had in my life! 4,500 comfortable miles in 11 days! This is the right bike for us, for sure.

So keep changing the broken clutch cables, cleaning the oil puke off of the left side of the bike, fixing the clutch shudder, and dealing with the bottom end surge, the Nine is still a great bike for the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymontanna1983 View Post
    Wow, lots of good posts, lots of insults and hate directed at HD owners, too. The Nine tank emblem looks awkward to me, breaks up the smooth lines of the bike. So do the reflectors. I owned a Nine and loved it, went fast and looked good, been there, done that. But know what my girl and I loved more? Riding. Riding a lot. See those red states on the below pic? That was done in a year and a half on my Street Glide. No trailering involved. The Sturgis trip I just got back from was the most fun I've ever had in my life! 4,500 comfortable miles in 11 days! This is the right bike for us, for sure. So keep changing the broken clutch cables, cleaning the oil puke off of the left side of the bike, fixing the clutch shudder, and dealing with the bottom end surge, the Nine is still a great bike for the $$.
    Well said IMO...that's living the dream.

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.