Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

Dilligaf about hd's the answer is obviousNO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I just came back from the Port Dover meet and there was a lot of Charlie Davidsons there.
    Some look damn good with great paint jobs and accessories.
    Some just seem to line up and all look the same.

BUT!
    I think what really URKS us the most is people's stereo typical attitudes of Charlies are the best and Metric don't get the recognition.
    Theres alot of good bikes out there and some not so good. So many different styles to choose from and not 1 manufacturer is better than the other, as a whole.
    It's the people that make waves which P%SS US OFF.
    We should be able to smack them up side the head just to speed up their learning curve, but there's a few WHINERS out there that frown upon that.

I ride with a guy that owns a Charlie and he hates that "mine is better than yours" childish attitude.
    He bought it because of the comfort he needs due to his back problem.
    If it works for him, then good.
    The 9 works for me and you guys, then good.
    A Suzuki Burgman works for a buddy's wife, so good for her.
    Everybody is riding and contributing to a great sport, just like the fantastic people I met at the MAM this year.

So all I say is "it's the people that make or break it".
    The M109Riders definitely MAKE IT.

EMBARRASSED? How could we be?
    Thanks....

My next ride....

Quote Originally Posted by T8 View Post
    The great thing about debadging is that it makes people wanna know what it really is. They'll search your bike high and low looking for some sort of hint as to what brand it is. There's little confusion with a Harley. It's stamped and badged to death, not to mention all the badges the riders add with their clothing. People love the look of the M109R and I love to see the surprise on their face when they find out it's a Suzuki. Our bikes look so good and different that most nonbikers just assume that they are Harley's. I think its kinda funny. I hope to show them that you don't have to buy a Harley to fit in. Drive what makes you happy, and my 9 does just that for me.

Park your 9 with a bunch of Harleys and your 9 will get all the attention...... that's a promise. If you ask me, Harley riders are more envious of us because we broke free from the normal. I recently went to the Harley store with my father-in-law, so he could pick up his stock $24,000 bike. Nothing in the place stood out to me. I'm not mocking Harley, it's just that they have constantly being shoved down our throat. They want ya to feel bad cause your not buying american ( which is debatable). I got news for them. There's no shame in my game.
    I was thinking about the whole "American made" statement that some like to use. Fact is, while my 9 was manufactured in Japan, I bought it from a 100% American Owned dealer. For me, that's good enough as I helped keep an American Owned business in business.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KarateMoto View Post
    I love Harley's. Many of them sound awesome! I love the branding and the 100 plus year old heritage. I love that they found a way to survive more than once (AMF) . . hell, I'm not American, but I love the proud USA history. I do not own a Harley shirt, nor key chain, not coffee mug . . ( Now if Starbucks made a motorcycle . . I'd be all over it. . . THAT my friends is Embarrassing!)

I'm not embarrassed by my Suzuki, and I don't have a second mortgage to own it . . .it's value is not equal to a college education . . and it's wicked cool. I'd love to own a Harley one day but only because I believe a man should have a stable of motorcycles with many stallions at his disposal. I won't go to the poor house to do it, and there will likely be a couple of Suzuki's in there as well. I've had an Intruder 1400, and I restored a GS1000E (to look like an S) and now the KarateMoto. I debadged mostly to keep people guessing and it looks even more custom . . so simple, yet so effective.

My friends own Harley's but I don't hold it against them . . .
    Nice!! The most logical response to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    Don't read them, then! In my opinion, Hardleys deserve to be bashed.

I'm not embarrassed to ride a Suzuki. I'd be embarrassed if I wasted my money on a Hardly Ableson...
    IGNORANT, Plain and Simple.

Banned

Went by the hog shop here today, a tent sale. I come pulling in, right in the middle of all of them, and scouted for a spot. ALL of them turned their heads to see what that $itchen bike is that just drove in. It took them about 10 seconds and they realized it WASN'T one of them LOL. They all turned their heads away. I went walking around and they all just kinda got out of my way when I got near. I guess i should feel special. I would say they are the ones embarrassed, and not secure enough with themselves or the huge sum of money they spent on their ride...Went inside and a real nice half dresser I call them. Pearl white paint with a few small flames. $38,000 The chick started her speal on why it is the best thing since sliced bread, and I listened, then told her I would have to get a job to buy this one, and I bought my 9 and a concours and would still have $25,500 in my pocket......She didn't know what to say and turned around and left. Amazing the mindset that has been set in their wee little minds. The harley way or no way......There was one of them talked to me. I think he might have been an outcast. He got some throw over bags to see what they looked like on his sportster and asked what I thought. I said aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa they are on backwards. He said, I thought something didn't look right LOL,,,,,, I ate some of their free hambuggers and soda and left and rode all day LOL

Default big B

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Not a jacket, it's a shirt. I have one too. It used to look like my bike before it was painted.

I have about 10 tee's I got from Brad. I'm always pimpin one of them when I go riding!
    MATT SAYS HI, HE SAYS BERNNIE IS GOOD PEOPLE, I PUT MY ORDER IN AND HE REPLIED
    THANKS BIB B

Very Active Member Kevin Nyberg's Avatar

Default Just isn't there

Walking around the Harley shops of America is really disheartening. Obviously there are alot of people that like 40's technology, because that is what you see in a Harley shop, I on the other hand don't dwell in the past and like modern tech. The nine fits that bill to perfection, it isn't loaded down with trinkets of unneccessary items but the technology is there for a fine machine that gives its rider a smile that won't wash away. enough said......

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggary View Post
    MATT SAYS HI, HE SAYS BERNIE IS GOOD PEOPLE, I PUT MY ORDER IN AND HE REPLIED
    THANKS BIG B
    Awesome, glad to help!

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Went by the hog shop here today, a tent sale. I come pulling in, right in the middle of all of them, and scouted for a spot. ALL of them turned their heads to see what that $itchen bike is that just drove in. It took them about 10 seconds and they realized it WASN'T one of them LOL. They all turned their heads away. I went walking around and they all just kinda got out of my way when I got near. I guess i should feel special. I would say they are the ones embarrassed, and not secure enough with themselves or the huge sum of money they spent on their ride...Went inside and a real nice half dresser I call them. Pearl white paint with a few small flames. $38,000 The chick started her speal on why it is the best thing since sliced bread, and I listened, then told her I would have to get a job to buy this one, and I bought my 9 and a concours and would still have $25,500 in my pocket......She didn't know what to say and turned around and left. Amazing the mindset that has been set in their wee little minds. The harley way or no way......There was one of them talked to me. I think he might have been an outcast. He got some throw over bags to see what they looked like on his sportster and asked what I thought. I said aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa they are on backwards. He said, I thought something didn't look right LOL,,,,,, I ate some of their free hambuggers and soda and left and rode all day LOL

Thank's Nemo, This is the funniest chit I have read all morning lol.

Bikes are too expensive to buy without doing the research. That's why I have owned 3 bikes in two years and none of them is a Harley. I realize that Harleys hold their resale value but I did not buy the bike to sell it. I bought it to ride it. I try to be polite to Harley owners when they approach me but I'm a little embarrassed for them. When you measure dimensions of ride ability, looks, cost of ownership and reliability, the Harley was not my first choice.

What embarrasses me is when I ask someone why they bought a Harley and they say stuff like, "I don't know, everyone has one" , or "I always wanted one" or " I had to have an American made bike".

They didn't buy a bike. They bought the idea of a bike.

That said, I love to look at a well detailed Harley. They are beautiful bikes. I just can't justify for myself owning one. I feel the same way about Ferrari.
    Oh yeah, the topic:
    The only thing that embarrasses me about owning my bike is the attention I get when I'm just out for a quick ride.
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, 2011 Victory Cross Country, 2003 Yamaha Roadstar, too many mods to list

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

Embarrassed is not in my vocabulary. Want a HD, fine, want a scooter, fine. I can ride my bike, I know it and I enjoy the living hell out of it. No one smiles bigger than me when I am on my 109... what else matters.

I hate going on trips with HD riders as they cannot pass a dealership. But I do enjoy going in and eating their free burgers and pop. Think I even stand taller as I am not junked up with HD apparel. but we do need some cool 109 shirts etc.
    You are permanently enrolled in the school of life. Each day, you will be presented with lessons. You may like the lessons, or think them stupid and irrelevant. What you think does not matter. The lessons will be repeated until they are learned.

Quote Originally Posted by g9r View Post
    Sour Harley Grapes
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158671

I was reading the above thread and it led me to start up this related thread. While I'm using the above grapes thread as the direct reference, there are numerous threads that are similar to this as they pop up every week or two it seems.

You know, I love motorcycles...period. There are Suzuki's I like, and some I do not. There are HD's I like, and some I do not etc. My biggest thing with HD is that it really seems like it is a "seen one, seen em all" type of bike, a dime a dozen. My wife, who likes my 9 but isn't a big motorcycle chick or anything like that, made the comment the other day after we passed a big group of HD's... "I'm glad you have this bike, no other bikes look like it, whereas all of those other bikes we passed looked about the same". That's why I love my 9 over an HD, it stands out.

Now, let me go out on a limb for a moment and make an observation that I think is interesting...

You can't help but notice how all of the HD people do everything they can to show they ride an HD. They have the shirts, jackets, stickers on their pickup truck window and I'm sure some have on their HD boxers or thongs underneath it all. They own an HD and they are proud of it and want everyone to know it.

This seems contrary to our 9 community in ways. Here it seems like many want their Suzuki completely "debadged", no sign of what the bike is... "keep em guessing" etc. I know for most it's about the look, but to anyone outside of the 9 community, it may come off as being embarrassed and trying to hide what we ride. Am I saying that people on this site are embarrassed or hiding what they ride... No, I'm just making an observation of how it could appear.

I semi-debadged this past week by removing the M109r stickers on the side and previously had removed the Suzuki off the tail of the 9. I did this because of how it looked as many do. I'm proud to own a Suzuki and when I'm asked what kind of bike it is, I answer "it's a Suzuki M109r" proudly. I plan to always have something on it that shows what it is, whether it be the Suzuki "S" on the speedo housing or the Boulevard badge on the tank. If I ever repaint, I hope I'll keep Suzuki on it as well, something along the lines of how Bobbymac did his 9.
    I can't help to think that this thread was created by the response I posted in the thread mentioned above.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...83#post1664583
    I can tell you for the record that I am not at all embarrassed to own a Suzuki or generally any metric or Eurasian motorcycle. I have actually own more than most people on this forum.
    On top of that, of all the mods I have performed to my '07 LE not one has been to remove a manufacturers badge or emblem.

Very Active Member nightroddersp's Avatar

i am not embarrassed to ride my non HD bike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20043.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	71548  
    ready or not here i come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
    I can't help to think that this thread was created by the response I posted in the thread mentioned above.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158671&p=1664583#post1664583
    I can tell you for the record that I am not at all embarrassed to own a Suzuki or generally any metric or Eurasian motorcycle. I have actually own more than most people on this forum.
    On top of that, of all the mods I have performed to my '07 LE not one has been to remove a manufacturers badge or emblem.
    Actually, it wasn't. It wasn't even really just due to that particular thread, that was just the most recent HD thread so I referenced it and may have referenced a statement or two from that thread as well. Also, just to reiterate a sentence in the original thread... "Am I saying that people on this site are embarrassed or hiding what they ride... No, I'm just making an observation of how it could appear."

The origins of this thread topic actually started while out riding and seeing some HD riders with all of their HD gear, and then reading a debadging thread here on the site that same day. The thought then hit me that it's funny how a lot of the HD people go so far to show their colors, so to speak, and a lot of 9ers debadge. I just thought it would make for an interesting topic and I believe it has with a lot of great replies. I've enjoyed reading through them. Also as I previoiusly stated, I have debadged some myself. The first day I had the bike I removed the stickers on the fuel tank and the Suzuki sticker on the tail which I thought just looked cheap. I am most certainly not embarrassed of my 9 at all. Heck, if anything I'm a little too proud.

It's really just meant to be a fun thread and I think it has been so far.

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

"Am I saying that people on this site are embarrassed or hiding what they ride... No, I'm just making an observation of how it could appear."
    I get your question, it's nothing difficult to understand.

The origins of this thread topic actually started while out riding and seeing some HD riders with all of their HD gear, and then reading a debadging thread here on the site that same day. The thought then hit me that it's funny how a lot of the HD people go so far to show their colors, so to speak, and a lot of 9ers debadge.
    IMO the M109R just lends itself to be modified/customized and it's unique looks keeps people guessing as to what it was, even now 6yrs after it first come out in 2006, and taking off the Suzuki badges most would agree typically just makes for a cleaner look. That's the only reason I removed my OEM badges, just a cleaner look with my custom paint job.

HD riders are usually/typically/in general a slightly different breed and HD promotes "The Brand" over the bike and most HD riders have bought into that. So they love to purchase & wear as much HD logo emblazened gear as possible.

Different strokes for different folks.

Default Here's a non-Harley that's pretty sweet.

'02 American Eagle Falcon - aka STX.
    This is American Eagle's Show Bike / CARB Cert bike.
    Bike was stored from '02 till '05 with 0 miles. I'm the first owner and registered it new in '05. Adult ridden and never down. About 8K miles now.

107CI S&S with 100+ HP built by Wink Eller. Dual plug heads and Dyna 2Ki ignition means a coil change and tune will result in 120+ HP.
    I'm currently running single plugs and compression releases. 100HP is more than enough.
    Dual front and single rear Performance Machine/Ness 4 piston brakes with floating rotors. Perfect Primo clutch, 5 speed touring tranny. Inverted forks and fully adjustable monoshock rear - great suspension! Hooker Tuned Flow exhaust allows for quiet torque (ha) or loud horsepower settings.
    New belt and pulley. New rear tire. It runs sport bike tires. Top line everything.

It's a sport cruiser in Harley Davidson Vrod vein. Low pro-street look.
    It can run with the sport bikes if you've got the balls. Amaze Harley Davidson riders and sport bike riders.
    Built in Carlsbad.

$8400 OBO. Motivated Seller! I need a 2-up bike. Make me an offer. Look at the other two on CycleTrader, then get this one for cheap.

Damon - 858-three54-three570

Default Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

I can't talk on behalf of "we" but I can say for sure that I'm not (me, myself and I) embarrassed at all. Quite the opposite. Why would I ride an overpriced/underperforming/less attractive bike when compared to mine?!

Don't get me wrong... Like I said before I do respect them for what they have achieved as a brand. They have convinced people that to own one of their products leads to respect from others. These people pay more money for less bike with a smile on their faces and to me that is amazing. It also amazes me the fact that they turn in by the tens of thousands in every major bike event I see around the world representing the "brotherhood" sold by HD's marketing department. I also respect HD's response to their customers. From what I heard they honor their product and back it up with recalls whenever needed. I wish I could say the same about Suzuki.
    Last edited by Phantom9; 07-16-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Damnit, Im not embarrassed. But, I want aHarley a big oversized rideable couch. yup, then maybe i could ride more
    Hell ever since my accident, it kills me to ride very far.
    Last edited by D-Ride; 07-16-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel!!

I am not embarrassed to own my BLVD ! I have many-many riders drive by and give me the peace sign. I have bikers come up who own HD's and say they like my bike. I like all kinds of street bikes. The customs by Dirty Bird in Phoenix and those of us who customize our own. WE ARE BIKERS ! From all walks of life and our common thread is our BIKE !!!

Surprised I have not come across this thread before.
    To answer the question, no I'm not embarrassed to ride the 9 or have people know what it is.
    I debadged because I liked the clean look of it after seeing the ones on this forum.
    I also like the added benefit of people having to ask what it is. This get's people talking and I am a people person who loves talking about his 9. Ask me one question and I'll talk your ear off for an hour about all the things I've done, the places I've been on it, and how great it is. It annoys the hell out of my wife when she wants to leave and someone walks up to ask what I'm riding.
    The 9 commands attention and it get's people looking no matter what they ride or even if they don't ride at all.

I don't judge people on what they ride. If you ride you are good in my books. I bug my HD friends about their bikes but it's all in good fun like them telling me to get a "real" bike. Yah "real" expensive.
    07 Pearl M109R: Cobra Swepts, Chrome Derby Cover, PC III USB, Chrome Swing Arm, Debeavered, Poor Mans Chrome Rad , Debadged, Tach Relocation, White Front Reflectors, Smoked Signal and Brake Lights, Front Signals into LED Driving lights, Holley Intakes, Tricky Air Ride, HID Headlight, TRE, 250 Fat Rear Tire, '11 Black Rims, Painted Rotors, Switchblade pegs, Arlen Ness Grips, ISO rear grips, OEM Crash Bars, Chrome kickstand, and more to come....

I think Suzuki themselves set a tone for this. All their cruisers were rebranded as Boulevards (The worst part of the m109r naming in my opinion). Suzuki badging is kept to a minimum on these bikes with the main tank badge displaying "BOULEVARD" in contrasting bold letters and "SUZUKI" in smaller non contrasting letters.

It looks like they didn't want people to know it was a Suzuki.

2 year old thread resurrection, but to answer question I would be more embarrassed to ride an HD. everyone would know I'm old and slow and stupid with my money (on my 9 I can hide these things)

Banned

NO, not in the least,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am proud to own what I own...........

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    Embarrassed? Nope.
    New member on m109riders.com. Hope to get more knowledge and tricks.

So....if Harley's were as cheap as Suzuki's, truthfully, would you own one?

Truthfully, no. They're just not fast enough for me. The Vrod is fast but seems too small.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tare View Post
    F___ NO! Well, maybe a VRod, or one of the new electric bikes, but other than those, HELL NO!!! Garbage, IMHO.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    ~Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Tare View Post

They would have to be cheaper than the 9. If they were, I'd buy 2 of them. That way I would always have one to ride while the other is being fixed.

Sorry Tare, couldn't resist.

I actually was looking at the CVO Breakout at one point before I got my 9. I also looked at the Star Raider. Based on that comparison, I would have got the raider. Price wasn't the issue. Raider just fit me better. Then I found the 9 and pretty much forgot about both of the others. No regrets here and I show off that little tiny "S" Suzuki put on the tank every time someone asks what it is.

Banned