Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are we embarrassed to own a Non-HD?

MordiRider

Chewy, just sent him a PM asking him the same - awesome shirt isn't it? I need one. I bought the Boulevard leather jacket so certainly not ashamed to be riding a Suzuki. I removed the Suzuki sticker off the rear because it looks like an afterthought.

For my part I really like the Boulevard badge design and would only remove it from the tank if I had the bike airbrushed - which is very unlikely. I agree with the above post regarding Harley bashing. They do nothing for me but bagging the owners makes us as bad as we accuse them of being.

I like riding something that is uncommon and gets attention. Mine is pretty much stock but I had a truck driver pull up next to me at the lights on Saturday telling me how great my bike looks. He didn't ask what is was - probably because it doesn't really matter.

2007 Black M109R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342131540.931375.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	71394  

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I'm not embarrassed. I like what I like. I like that we have choices and options. The only thing I don't like is the poor attitudes of other riders. What you ride doesn't make you better than me.

I remember a punk in a saleen mustang being an ass, thinking he was cool because he drive a mustang. I asked him," So let me get this straight. You went to a dealership, picked out a car, spoke to a salesman, crunched some numbers, and agreed on a monthly payment?" Wow, who does that?? You are the man.

When I heard of a cruiser with sport bike brakes and suspension, my ears perked up. When I saw it, I thought it looked awesome. When I stumbled upon one at a harley dealer within my price range, I test-drove it to the bank to transfer money out of savings. My wife found out via phone call on the way home. She was ready to beat me senseless, but when I pulled up with my new ride, she kinda saw my side.

If something else comes along that peaks my interest, then that is the direction I will go, regardless of the manufacturer. Until then, make mine suzuki.

-Josh

Thumbs up jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
    I am not at all embarrassed to say that I ride a Suzuki Boulevard. Heck, while many have probably thought to themselves "what a heck", I am sure that their mentally changes once they see it in person or I show them photos. I don't go out all decked out in Suzuki gear, but I do wear my original M109R jacket that I won at the MAM--It is a heavy jacket but I love it. I also on occassions wear my "Dickies" shop shirt with the M109R silhouette. BTW, I do like my badges and I got the pictures to prove it.

i love that jacket. i ride any jap bike i love them. dont like them slow shacky oil leaking have to work on bikes, only way i want to work on one is if i want to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default I am Proud Suzuki Owner

I rode my bike to work its freaking hot here. I had a doctors appointment. As i cam eout of the building i have a guy standing with his phone taking pictures of my bike. I walked up put my mask and gloves on the seat his first remark is You have a nice bike never seen one like this before what is it.

My Response was its a SUZUKI, he replied how many CC i said 1800, he came back and said oh nice i have a CBR1000 i could almost hear him squeak when he said its 1000 LOL.
    Like few others here i looked around when i started and was after Honda as frist and Yamaha as second prefrence. Suzuki was not even on my plate i have known the other two brands to be very very reliable. Then i came across the ad for 2008 LE Blue and white strip 9er. To tell my search ended almost there. The reason i say almost is i went ahead and started googling the problems. I could nto find any but one of the shudder predominently prior to 08. All the site i looked and i looked i saw nothing but reliability and praise for this bike. I was already sold ont he styling before. I was lokign at the VTX and VTC of Hondas.

I have had this bike for less than a month and i know people turn their eyes when i pass. Its funny soemtimes your driving and you have cars next to you who look at you in a sneaky way they just turn their eyes to check out the bike. I smile everytime i see that.

So en dof the day i am Proud to say i own a Bike which is Extremely beautiful, unique, reliable, full of muscle, does not Leak and a eye turner.

Plus end of the day all that matters is I love my Bike. Do i care what others think of it nahhhh.

Not embarrassed one bit. I almost went 2 years with the badges on. I just recently took em off to give the bike a cleaner look. Still have the Suzuki emblem on the dash. I work with a lot of HD riders and they have no choice but to respect my bike. It commands respect! I can tell it hurts them. I test drove a fat boy before I test drove a used 109. The m109 just matches me better. Im a big guy. 6'2" 250. And I like the performance of the bike not to mention the looks. I love riding with my co-workers and winning local bike shows against them. (6 trophies in two years). My bike stands out from the herd and that just justifies my feelings for it.

Default nice

[QUOTE=antmor69;1664772]Not embarrassed one bit. I almost went 2 years with the badges on. I just recently took em off to give the bike a cleaner look. Still have the Suzuki emblem on the dash. I work with a lot of HD riders and they have no choice but to respect my bike. It commands respect! I can tell it hurts them. I test drove a fat boy before I test drove a used 109. The m109 just matches me better. Im a big guy. 6'2" 250. And I like the performance of the bike not to mention the looks. I love riding with my co-workers and winning local bike shows against them. (6 trophies in two years). My bike stands out from the herd and that just justifies my feelings for it.[/

NICE BIKE!!!!!

I debadged mine cause the lines flow better and it makes it look more custom. And i like to watch people faces when you tell them its a Suzuki. :)
    Harley owners are same as their bikes "see one seen em all" In big bike meetings you can see tons of people wearing same HD jackets. :) Half of my friends are riding HDs the other half is on BMW. Its funny none of the BMW riders wearing any BMW gear although they all have Shuberth c3 helmets. But the HD guys, 3 are flashing their HD chit like crazy one is lightly HD geared and the other one hates it! He allso debadged his HD, he is telling people that its a Pyongsung lol.
    None of them are getting so much attention then my bike and its the cheapest of them all!. Im glad im riding a "Zuk" and have no shame to tell otherwise!

I'm a little embarrassed because I seem to be the only metric in a sea of Harleys all the time. I'm experiencing some real life problems because of the inferiority complex I seem to be developing. Anyone know if there's any group therapy available for this specific affliction? or should I just order up some V rod badges to stick on my 9?
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggary View Post
    i love that jacket. i ride any jap bike i love them. dont like them slow shacky oil leaking have to work on bikes, only way i want to work on one is if i want to.
    Not a jacket, it's a shirt. I have one too. It used to look like my bike before it was painted.

I have about 10 tee's I got from Brad. I'm always pimpin one of them when I go riding!

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Default love it

where can i buy one at? love it awsome. even love to have a jacket like that.

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggary View Post
    where can i buy one at? love it awsome. even love to have a jacket like that.
    pm sent

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by g9r View Post
    Sour Harley Grapes
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158671

I was reading the above thread and it led me to start up this related thread. While I'm using the above grapes thread as the direct reference, there are numerous threads that are similar to this as they pop up every week or two it seems.

You know, I love motorcycles...period. There are Suzuki's I like, and some I do not. There are HD's I like, and some I do not etc. My biggest thing with HD is that it really seems like it is a "seen one, seen em all" type of bike, a dime a dozen. My wife, who likes my 9 but isn't a big motorcycle chick or anything like that, made the comment the other day after we passed a big group of HD's... "I'm glad you have this bike, no other bikes look like it, whereas all of those other bikes we passed looked about the same". That's why I love my 9 over an HD, it stands out.

Now, let me go out on a limb for a moment and make an observation that I think is interesting...

You can't help but notice how all of the HD people do everything they can to show they ride an HD. They have the shirts, jackets, stickers on their pickup truck window and I'm sure some have on their HD boxers or thongs underneath it all. They own an HD and they are proud of it and want everyone to know it.

This seems contrary to our 9 community in ways. Here it seems like many want their Suzuki completely "debadged", no sign of what the bike is... "keep em guessing" etc. I know for most it's about the look, but to anyone outside of the 9 community, it may come off as being embarrassed and trying to hide what we ride. Am I saying that people on this site are embarrassed or hiding what they ride... No, I'm just making an observation of how it could appear.

I semi-debadged this past week by removing the M109r stickers on the side and previously had removed the Suzuki off the tail of the 9. I did this because of how it looked as many do. I'm proud to own a Suzuki and when I'm asked what kind of bike it is, I answer "it's a Suzuki M109r" proudly. I plan to always have something on it that shows what it is, whether it be the Suzuki "S" on the speedo housing or the Boulevard badge on the tank. If I ever repaint, I hope I'll keep Suzuki on it as well, something along the lines of how Bobbymac did his 9.
    Ya know I feel the same way about Harleys as I do pit bulls. It's the owners I do not not like. Not all of them but prolly 90%. Its the attitude and their demeanor that I have a hard time with............nothing to do with the bike or the dog...............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Not a jacket, it's a shirt. I have one too. It used to look like my bike before it was painted.

I have about 10 tee's I got from Brad. I'm always pimpin one of them when I go riding!
    Damn Bernie, wish I could stretch out like that, with legs almost straight. Hell my knees are up past da badges LOL

Default 109 bagger

If suzuki gets smart and puts the 109 engine in a bagger i would be all over it.Just would love to have the comfort and the power.

I'm not ashamed to ride my rice burning scoot, I love to eat pork with my rice lol. by the way Big-B where did you get that shirt? Live the Zuk love the Zuk and leave the rest in the rear view mirror
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Damn Bernie, wish I could stretch out like that, with legs almost straight. Hell my knees are up past da badges LOL
    Same here. Although I like it in the twisties. You can hold yourself on the bike with your knee.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by busabrian View Post
    If suzuki gets smart and puts the 109 engine in a bagger i would be all over it.Just would love to have the comfort and the power.
    You should do a search for JD's bike (grandpatractor or something like that).
    He has one of the nicest baggers that I have ever seen.
    And back on target, I am not ashamed of my M109, but it is amazing when you compare the service I get from my local HD dealer compared with my Zuk dealer. The HD dealer is so much nicer.

[QUOTE=moondoggary;1664775]
    Quote Originally Posted by antmor69 View Post
    Not embarrassed one bit. I almost went 2 years with the badges on. I just recently took em off to give the bike a cleaner look. Still have the Suzuki emblem on the dash. I work with a lot of HD riders and they have no choice but to respect my bike. It commands respect! I can tell it hurts them. I test drove a fat boy before I test drove a used 109. The m109 just matches me better. Im a big guy. 6'2" 250. And I like the performance of the bike not to mention the looks. I love riding with my co-workers and winning local bike shows against them. (6 trophies in two years). My bike stands out from the herd and that just justifies my feelings for it.[/

NICE BIKE!!!!!
    Thanks!

I debadge every bike I have ever had ( 25 and counting) and I have owned several HD. Current bikes are the custom painted M109r and I pick up my new ZX14 next week!! Also own a Ducati that I just love! All debadged!!! Or soon will be :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member southernmostm109r's Avatar

I just thought it looked better de-badged. Not only am I not embarrassed with Suzuki I tried to get a Boulevard jacket during the free jacket promotion with any purchase but It was like trying to get blood out of a stone from the dealership so I just bought a Joe Rocket jacket.
    Before I debadged I would still get people asking me all the time who makes that bike. I don't think a lot of people are familiar with the Boulevard line.
    2007 m109r Limited, Debeavered, Debadged, Metzler 260 & 130, Kuryakun Gripps, Boss,& Floorboars, Windvest Windshield, Ultimate Seat & CWI Backrest, Suzuki Engine Guard, & Drive Shaft Cover, Shayne Licence Plate Bracket, Brakeaway Cruise Control, HID Light Kit, Brake Light Modulator, Stebel Horn, Cycle House Leavers & Kicktand, GI PRO, Raw Design LED's, Ducks, etc.

Default I'm Embarrassed . . .

I love Harley's. Many of them sound awesome! I love the branding and the 100 plus year old heritage. I love that they found a way to survive more than once (AMF) . . hell, I'm not American, but I love the proud USA history. I do not own a Harley shirt, nor key chain, not coffee mug . . ( Now if Starbucks made a motorcycle . . I'd be all over it. . . THAT my friends is Embarrassing!)

I'm not embarrassed by my Suzuki, and I don't have a second mortgage to own it . . .it's value is not equal to a college education . . and it's wicked cool. I'd love to own a Harley one day but only because I believe a man should have a stable of motorcycles with many stallions at his disposal. I won't go to the poor house to do it, and there will likely be a couple of Suzuki's in there as well. I've had an Intruder 1400, and I restored a GS1000E (to look like an S) and now the KarateMoto. I debadged mostly to keep people guessing and it looks even more custom . . so simple, yet so effective.

My friends own Harley's but I don't hold it against them . . .
    KarateMoto!!

Very Active Member m109greenskull's Avatar

Mine is debadged, with lots of green paint in it's place. I wear a M109R jacket, and I have my helmet painted to match the bike. Most people don't have any idea what it is, and I am happy to tell them. I put my bike in a car/bike show last night, and took first place in the bike category. There were over 30 bikes there, including a 2012 screamin eagle streetglide. I really like a lot of the new harley's, and now that I work at a HD dealer, I can see how the Harley ownership experience could be a cool one. I read in this post that harley dealers bend over backwards to take care of their customers, and I am now part of that. I love working there. 98% of the customers are great people, and just love bikes, and the you get the other 2%. I just laugh at them.I take my 9 to work every sunny day, and most of my co-workers, all of whom ride HD's, have ridden my bike. They can't believe the power. I get people looking at it in there everyday. We are having a customer appreciation day this month, and will be having a bike show. I will have mine right in the middle of it. We had our demo days today, so I parked my bike right in front of the HD demo truck. Everyone got a kick out of that. I have to say, I love the new nightrod special, and the muscle. I rode a few others that I liked too. The v rod is the best bike they make, and most HD faithful's hate them, because they are not "real harleys". Haha. I was smiling from ear to ear on the way home, back aboard the 9. I love my bike, and am very proud of it. I will probably end up on a harley at some point, because I love working there, and everything that goes with it. But I will always have my 9.

First, you guys that don't get good treatment at your metric dealer need to find a good one. The one here welcomes you at the door, offers to get you some coffee, asks about what rides you've been on, and never presses a bike on you.

We all know the 109 looks almost like a custom bike even when it's stock, or at least I think so. I took the badges off to make it look even more so, with not a bit of thought of doing it because I was embarrassed by it. That wouldn't make a lot of sense as leaving the badges on would keep a lot of folks from having to ask what it is, and you having to tell them.

My wife and I were on a large group ride a month ago and she commented she needed to get a HD so she would be part of the group. I said that was why I didn't have one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by antmor69 View Post
    Same here. Although I like it in the twisties. You can hold yourself on the bike with your knee.
    true dat

Quote Originally Posted by busabrian View Post
    What?? We have the C109. Isn't that a bagger?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    First, you guys that don't get good treatment at your metric dealer need to find a good one. The one here welcomes you at the door, offers to get you some coffee, asks about what rides you've been on, and never presses a bike on you.

We all know the 109 looks almost like a custom bike even when it's stock, or at least I think so. I took the badges off to make it look even more so, with not a bit of thought of doing it because I was embarrassed by it. That wouldn't make a lot of sense as leaving the badges on would keep a lot of folks from having to ask what it is, and you having to tell them.

My wife and I were on a large group ride a month ago and she commented she needed to get a HD so she would be part of the group. I said that was why I didn't have one.
    LOL, That still ask Mike,,,,I love ma badges, More chrome..........

Very Active Member backinthesaddle's Avatar

My bike has custom paint. I think badges & stickers look out of place on it. If anyone doesn't know what kind of bike I ride, they will as soon as I take off my jacket. I will proudly be displaying a thowerb t-shirt fully ablaze with the brand.
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 07-13-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    2006 cobalt blue w/realfire
    Roll Tide Roll!!
    Find out more about motorcycling in Alabama

Default NO HD for ME

I'm proud to ride a M109R, nothing like it. Style, Looks and power. On the other hand, I ride with guys that own Harleys,2010, 2011, and 2012, and they all seem to have mechanical problems. They all complain about this after they spend 30 to 40 Gs . They really all look the same, and to make stand out and really make it your own you must spend ridicoulous amount of cash with accessories. Harley's warranty really sucks, good on paper until you need to use it. This is all coming from HD owners. I'm glad that their is a alternative to the "all American Bike".
    Suzuki Engine Guard,Chrome Levers,Master Cylinder,Clucth Perch,Housings from Chip.Black ISO Grips,Accent Rings,Stilleto ends,Throttle Boss, Kury LED Lights.Joe's of Fla.180 LED Kit,JT's Knight Strip .Speedo/Tach from Webslinger.Carbon Fiber Kit,and tank cover.HID Headlight.Debeavered w Raw LED Strip,Chrome license plate w LED.OEM Chrome Drive shaft and Swing arm covers.Taillight painted by Brad Short OEM Pipes.VSport Shield,Scithe Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    I'm a little embarrassed because I seem to be the only metric in a sea of Harleys all the time. I'm experiencing some real life problems because of the inferiority complex I seem to be developing. Anyone know if there's any group therapy available for this specific affliction? or should I just order up some V rod badges to stick on my 9?
    Just show up to next years MAM.
    2007 m109r red, E3 250, iso grips, stilleto pegs, V-stream touring windshield, TRE...and the list is growing

The great thing about debadging is that it makes people wanna know what it really is. They'll search your bike high and low looking for some sort of hint as to what brand it is. There's little confusion with a Harley. It's stamped and badged to death, not to mention all the badges the riders add with their clothing. People love the look of the M109R and I love to see the surprise on their face when they find out it's a Suzuki. Our bikes look so good and different that most nonbikers just assume that they are Harley's. I think its kinda funny. I hope to show them that you don't have to buy a Harley to fit in. Drive what makes you happy, and my 9 does just that for me.

Park your 9 with a bunch of Harleys and your 9 will get all the attention...... that's a promise. If you ask me, Harley riders are more envious of us because we broke free from the normal. I recently went to the Harley store with my father-in-law, so he could pick up his stock $24,000 bike. Nothing in the place stood out to me. I'm not mocking Harley, it's just that they have constantly being shoved down our throat. They want ya to feel bad cause your not buying american ( which is debatable). I got news for them. There's no shame in my game.
    "Sweep the Leg."

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    What?? We have the C109. Isn't that a bagger?

Not quite. It is a classic-styled cruiser, hence the "C", but if you want real bags, you have to look aftermarket. The "T" option only has chintzy saddlebags.

I'm not at all embarrassed by my Suzuki. Mine still has all badges. I sometimes think about taking off the badges on the side of the tank, but the rest will stay, unless I choose to custom paint it. I ride with a few guys who have HDs, and only one ever gives me grief over my ride. He's doing it mostly in fun, not really serious, and I give as good as I get.