Sour Harley Grapes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sour Harley Grapes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very Active Member

Default Sour Harley Grapes

I know every guy with a 9 has heard the sour grapes arguments from the Hardly guys. The best is when they talk about the "superior quality." What kind of quality are they talking about? Is it all the low tech parts on those under-engineered death traps? This is a company who had to farm out the engineering of their sole sport bike to Porsche and they still werent able to build something with reasonable handeling or comfort. So what kind of quality are these guys referring to?

Anyway, what I hear are a bunch of guys who drank too much of HD's marketing Kool-aid and talk a bunch of sour grapes so as not to admit the vast superiority of the 109.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    I know every guy with a 9 has heard the sour grapes arguments from the Hardly guys. The best is when they talk about the "superior quality." What kind of quality are they talking about? Is it all the low tech parts on those under-engineered death traps? This is a company who had to farm out the engineering of their sole sport bike to Porsche and they still werent able to build something with reasonable handeling or comfort. So what kind of quality are these guys referring to?

Anyway, what I hear are a bunch of guys who drank too much of HD's marketing Kool-aid and talk a bunch of sour grapes so as not to admit the vast superiority of the 109.
    ]

OK, so I'm probably gonna get yelled at but I need to say something about all this HD "I'm cooler than chit" stuff......aren't we doing the same thing with the nine. Yeah, I drank the nine kool-aid just like everyone else on this forum. And yes, I like my nine better than any HD (I've ridden some so I have "experience") My Dad would only drive a Chrysler and while he never bad mouthed any other brand I know he felt the same way about his Chrysler's as I do my nine. The guy I typically ride with rides a HD, always has, always will. He respects my nine for what it does well. I know what his HD does well. For me, it's about giving a little respect for the other person. That being said, if another person slams my nine boasting they are badder than me, well let's just see......
    Go Big or Go Home
    '07 RED -
    Cycle House Big Air intakes, Debadged/Debeavered, PC III, Kuy grips and pegs, 50 watt driving lights, 260 Metz., sport windshield, chrome wheels, Gen III Knight Rider, Drivers Backrest, Dragon Tail Light, Derby and Side Lic Frame, +2 risers, 5" Cannon.

I get respect from the crotch rocket guys, they just love the 9. The harley guys are an odd bunch, never know what to expect from them. The biggest problem I run into in my area is the young punks with their import tuners, they put some clear tail lights and a four foot spoiler with matching(non-functioning) stick-on hood scoops on a beat to hell hyundai and think they are auditioning for the next fast n furious movie!!! Also, to be fair, the biggest jerk i've met on a motorcycle was this past weekend, and guess what, he was riding a 9!!!! He was a ****, arrogent ass, cruising around with his bone stock orange 9, complete with shorts, flip-flops and no skills on a bike!!! I rode behind him for a few miles after a failed conversation, and lets just say it was not pretty, and where did he stop? THE BAR!!! Perfect, right!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by chewy18252 View Post
    I get respect from the crotch rocket guys, they just love the 9. The harley guys are an odd bunch, never know what to expect from them. The biggest problem I run into in my area is the young punks with their import tuners, they put some clear tail lights and a four foot spoiler with matching(non-functioning) stick-on hood scoops on a beat to hell hyundai and think they are auditioning for the next fast n furious movie!!! Also, to be fair, the biggest jerk i've met on a motorcycle was this past weekend, and guess what, he was riding a 9!!!! He was a ****, arrogent ass, cruising around with his bone stock orange 9, complete with shorts, flip-flops and no skills on a bike!!! I rode behind him for a few miles after a failed conversation, and lets just say it was not pretty, and where did he stop? THE BAR!!! Perfect, right!?!?!
    That's why it's called a "Boulevard" and not a "County Road". LOL!

My last Harley encounter was at the Shell station at the bottom of the hill on 19 between Cherokee and Maggie Valley. Some of you know this station.
    I noticed a couple of Harleys sitting out front when I pulled in to fill up. As I was topping it off a leather clad woman approached from inside and said what a good looking bike I had and then asked what it was. Of course we all know what happens next when a Harley rider asks this question.......well......I responded with my typical "It's a M109R" hoping it satisfies the question, but not this time. She wanted to know what brand. So, I said "It's a Suzuki". Without response she turns and walks away and back inside the station where I see her approach a leather clad dude and relay the information.
    This is a standard response I get from Harley folks. They think it is a custom then find out it's a metric and run for the hills. It's as if they can't be caught assocating with the enemy.
    In another case I have actually watched two old Harley Farts approach the 9 and look at it for several minutes then one of them points to the Suzuki sticker on the back fender just about falls over his buddy trying to leave the scene of the crime. LOL! Funny stuff.

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post

My last Harley encounter was at the Shell station at the bottom of the hill on 19 between Cherokee and Maggie Valley. Some of you know this station.
    I noticed a couple of Harleys sitting out front when I pulled in to fill up. As I was topping it off a leather clad woman approached from inside and said what a good looking bike I had and then asked what it was. Of course we all know what happens next when a Harley rider asks this question.......well......I responded with my typical "It's a M109R" hoping it satisfies the question, but not this time. She wanted to know what brand. So, I said "It's a Suzuki". Without response she turns and walks away and back inside the station where I see her approach a leather clad dude and relay the information.
    This is a standard response I get from Harley folks. They think it is a custom then find out it's a metric and run for the hills. It's as if they can't be caught assocating with the enemy.
    In another case I have actually watched two old Harley Farts approach the 9 and look at it for several minutes then one of them points to the Suzuki sticker on the back fender just about falls over his buddy trying to leave the scene of the crime. LOL! Funny stuff.

have had that happen quite a few times....

I have some friends that are hd riders and are on facebook and I have had 2 of them that we are on a riders thread and we post up pics. of our bikes and I get alot of comments on how hot my bike is and the two of them would not post that on there but im me about how they love the look of my bike... they are the type that always wear the hd clothing.... I just have to laugh....
    BONE STOCK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post

More funny even is, He sent HER out to ask the questions. LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by chewy18252 View Post

Damn , your the first person I have heard of that has seen Hink. I ride with some HD guys and they are alright, but I was at a bike night not long ago when I was asked by a big tuff HD guy what I ride and when I told him he turned his back on me mid sentence and refused to talk to me.....What ever..
    Last edited by porkchops9; 07-12-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    ]I would rather be homeless than chromeless. She's got a few shinny do-dads on her.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchops9 View Post
    I ride with some HD guys and they are alright, but I was at a bike night not long ago when I was asked by a big tuff HD guy what I ride and when I told him he turned his back on me mid sentence and refused to talk to me.....What ever..
    This is EXACTLY why I hate the entire Hardly Ableson culture. The bikes are obsolete and overpriced, and the owners (more often than not) had lobotomies when they bought the bikes. I've been disrespected way too often to respect Hardleys and their owners, with the exception of a few folks I know who were unfortunate enough to buy into the myth but are still respectful to other makes and models.

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Captnpirate View Post
    OK, so I'm probably gonna get yelled at but I need to say something about all this HD "I'm cooler than chit" stuff......aren't we doing the same thing with the nine. Yeah, I drank the nine kool-aid just like everyone else on this forum. And yes, I like my nine better than any HD (I've ridden some so I have "experience") My Dad would only drive a Chrysler and while he never bad mouthed any other brand I know he felt the same way about his Chrysler's as I do my nine. The guy I typically ride with rides a HD, always has, always will. He respects my nine for what it does well. I know what his HD does well. For me, it's about giving a little respect for the other person. That being said, if another person slams my nine boasting they are badder than me, well let's just see......

My buddies I ride with all have Harleys (5 Harleys and a 9), but they all openly admire the 9. Now just guess what bike gets all the looks and comments?

Very Active Member Kevin Nyberg's Avatar

Default That big red nine

I ride with a buddy that has a beautiful 04 screaming eagle duece that looks like it should be sitting on the showroom floor, he keeps it that way as I do the same with my nine, its always scrubbed to hilt that duece is as fast as any Harley I have ever seen but I weight 100 pounds more than he does and the nine still pulls on his bike under full throttle. That big red nine gets as many looks as the Harley. I actually had a guy on a big road king come over when I was fueling up one day and he knew it was a Suzuki and gave me one of the nicest compliment I had ever had. I was impressed because usually they find out what it is and walk away quickly.

I respect harley bikers but not the jackasses. I have a freind who rides harley super nice guy. The guy i purchased my bike from (sold this 9 with reluctance) and purchased a Vrod. He is super nice guy few other guys that i know are riding harley. The issue comes up when someone tries to look down upon import bikes and creating an atmosphere that if it aint Harley its crap because its not made in America. i look for the best bang for my buck and i get styling and looks as bonus with 9er

its always about the nut connecting the seat and handle as per one of guys signature.

Very Active Member jerrythekingpin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_M109R View Post

My buddies I ride with all have Harleys (5 Harleys and a 9), but they all openly admire the 9. Now just guess what bike gets all the looks and comments?

MordiRider

It's funny as you talk about import 'unamerican' bikes yet we don't make bikes here in Australia so everything is an import and we experience the same response from other riders that you do in the US of A.

2007 Black M109R

I ride with all Harley guys for the most part. They love my bike but they are just so enmeshed with the whole Harley culture. They probably spend more on Harley clothes than they do their bike. I just don't get. I will give Harley this, the fit and finish on a new Harley is top notch. But damn, they are slow!
    2011 M109R LE, Iso grips w/ throttle boss, Smoked turn signals, debadged, Jardine quick release sissy bar for the queen. Ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by bpoisson55 View Post
    I ride with all Harley guys for the most part. They love my bike but they are just so enmeshed with the whole Harley culture. They probably spend more on Harley clothes than they do their bike. I just don't get. I will give Harley this, the fit and finish on a new Harley is top notch. But damn, they are slow!

you gotta compensate with flames and skulls on the jacket with harley how else would people notice the bike.

Makes me laugh...I work @ a Grocery store. All of the guys I work with own harleys ... they try to tease me some. We all line up and park in the same place in the parking lot. 8 harleys and " The 9". Bottom line is the 9 gets the looks and ALL the questions . we all know where the performance #'s land. LOL!! They can't even put up an arguement cuz the bike stands alone and SPEAKS LOUDLY FOR ITSELF!!
    We'll be friends until we are old and senile,
    then we'll be new friends!!!

Darn those Hardly bikers...

It's simple bro... Most buy HD's cause of the classic look or cause most their friends have one... but at the end of the day they are still riding an oil cooled donkeys years old technology but still get to say hey I have a Hardly. Oh well, that is what they get a kick out of so enjoy...

No arguement though... Any sour talk... Just tell them ok... SHUT UP... AND LET's RIDE !!! I have smoked way too many of these grapes to sit and waste time on... Sadest part is, when there is a bike week, or some major event, and heavy traffic and they are overheating on the side of the road... biggest insult to them is, hey, do you need help?? The answer is always a firm NO... and I say well, enjoy your vw bug... I need to catch up with my rice burner riders, cause they can ride... IMHO... Fk'em!! Enjoy your 9 bro... You ride a much better bike in looks and performance and reliability... Just enjoy and let them burn...

The reason I'm here... is because I'm not all there !!

Quote Originally Posted by bpoisson55 View Post

Speaking of the HD Apparel Junkies.... I was riding on a particularly warm day this summer and came across a group of HD owners 4-5 outside the restaurant that we were all eating at. We came out of the restaurant about the same time and as they were getting ready to hit the road on their bikes, I was preparing to get on the 9. I am a AGATT kinda guy so I started to don my mesh jacket, full face helmet etc., and of course they were in the HD novelty helmets, with short sleeve HD T-shirts, belts, HD fingerless gloves, HD jeans, headbands, and HD chained wallets, and boots. They seemed a bit amused or perhaps bewildered at what I was wearing and then one of the HD guys yelled over at me.... "HEY.... why you wear'n all them clothes!?"

I responded... Cause I'm not a HD rider who has to wear the uniform of the day! I get to pick my own ride gear"....

The conversation ended at that!

MODS--A bunch!! And to think.... there's "STILL" so much more to do!!

My best friend and riding partner rides an Ultra Classic. We always have some friendly banter going on but we respect each other and the bikes. He has told me that my 9 is one of the best looking bikes he has seen.

Man...when I was in Sturgis...seemed like 90% of the bikes were Harley...and a lot of those were street glides. I ride with mostly Harley folks, and we have a mutual admiration for different bikes. When we stop, however....my 9 gets a lot of attention. Kind of awkward...probably like being a rock star...

Last week I was meeting my Harley friend at his house...so parked the nine in the driveway. His neighbor comes out and is asking all the questions...then he proceeds to take a iPhone video walk around the nine. My Harley friend is used to it...but still funny.

On the way to Sturgis...these Chinese tourists were taking pictures of the 9 which was parked behind my buddies Road Glide Ultra.

When the attention starts...I love it...but I do feel a little bad for the neglected Harley owners.
    09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

Default There's another Vrod...NOT!

We cruised the strip at Hollister this year and parked in the middle of the street. Bikes were parked fishbone style on both directions. As we were getting ready to walk away, this big burly dude tells his buddy, "there's another Vrod." I looked up and said, "Actually, it's an M109R." He looked at me as if I just spoke some kind of jiberish. Then I said Suzuki. He was pissed and just turned and walked away.

Very Active Member

Since I've had the 9 I've been able to find out who the Kool-Aid drinking Harley guys are, and who are enthusiast of ALL motorcycles...the Kool-Aid drinkers walk away as soon they find out the 9 is a Suzuki...as if to say "if it's not a Harley, then I don't want to know anything about it." People who are interested in all motorcycles ask more questions about it...

They got nice paint and chrome But it ends there!
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TORQ View Post
    They got nice paint and chrome But it ends there!
    LOL That's what I told them in Paris Tx and he went on how their paint is better then everyone else. Said their paint is 5 mill thick, where others only go 3 mill with their paint. i says, well that splains your good lookin paint LOL

Not to brag, but I make enough money that I could've bought ANY motorcycle I wanted... and I wanted a 9. It's true what others have said: when I go to bike nights and local hangouts I get love from everyone: sport bikers, adventure bikers, cruiser riders, even Harley guys (until they find out its not a Harley), while most Harley guys are off in their own little group. I'm glad they like their bikes (and tshirts, and vests, and jackets, and wallets, and boots, and belts, and watches...) but if you'll all remember back to elementary school, it wasn't the cool kids saying "Oh yeah? Well you're just jealous!" to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Circus Bear View Post
    Not to brag, but I make enough money that I could've bought ANY motorcycle I wanted... and I wanted a 9. It's true what others have said: when I go to bike nights and local hangouts I get love from everyone: sport bikers, adventure bikers, cruiser riders, even Harley guys (until they find out its not a Harley), while most Harley guys are off in their own little group. I'm glad they like their bikes (and tshirts, and vests, and jackets, and wallets, and boots, and belts, and watches...) but if you'll all remember back to elementary school, it wasn't the cool kids saying "Oh yeah? Well you're just jealous!" to everyone.
    Same here. Honestly, I don't get the brand thing. I rented a lot of bikes in my time. Street glide, VRod, Road king, VTX, etc. I bought my nine because it was different and I got a very good deal from my local dealership. I did look at HD. But I just couldn't find one I liked. I also looked at the new Honda Wings (Super, super nice!!) and the....GSXR1000. I guess I have no loyalty with cars or motorcycles. I buy based off what I like at the time and what I can get a good deal on. As longs as guys are happy with what they ride, I'm cool with that. I just don't like how some will buy a motorcycle to make a statement of "I am one of these kinds of guys". I wish it was "I am now a biker and I respect all you guys". But I see the same thing with cycling. I have 3 bikes. A road bike, a full suspension, and a rigid rear/front suspension. It's there too. "Roadies suck" says the MTB's. Now the MTB group is segmenting themselves. I ride a 29'er. That 26 just doesn't handle. Whatever people. Just enjoy your damn bikes and enjoy the group you ride with. Enjoy the cool, creative stuff guys do to their bike to make it different. Makes life so much more enjoyable.

I will say this. The 9'er community is very supportive and just a group of great people. I have enjoyed the short time I have had my 9 and the people I have connected with on here.

i went to the local hotspot for bikes near me last weekend (in the uk) and the same old thing came up. Two harelys sat there,
    I pulled in on my c with a friend on his rocket. we parked up and walked off. When we returned The harley riders came up to us and the first question i got was whats your bike flowed by "are they ashamed to put a name on it becus it isnt a Harley" my reply was "i looked at buying a Harley but i didnt want a chinese bike,, if i did i would have brought a Skyjet"
    They didnt seem amused.

BUT its not just the harley boys that are snobs for some reason the Victory riders have polls up there buts too.. and there bikes are worse lol

My wife and I have been looking at HD bikes. (The 9 is just too fat at the rear for my wife to feel comfortable on as a passenger)

I really like the looks of the limited edition CVO. It comes with many Screaming Eagle Accessories.
    Brown leather seats, tons of chrome, gold leaf stripes in the tri-color brown paint job. It is gorgeous.

The bike was priced right at $30,000.00. As we drove away from the dealer my dear wife, who has a gift for saying it like it is said:

"If you are seriously considering spending $30K on something that rolls, we should trade off this Volvo and get a new Volvo or BMW."

We can afford the 30k, but just 'cause you can afford something does not make it the right thing to do....

Add to that the operating temperature of ~250 degrees for the HD to the 9's 200 degrees, and that my 9 gets 90% of the attention when I ride with my HD friends when we stop.

For now we will keep our money where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsemade View Post
    They didnt seem amused.

BUT its not just the harley boys that are snobs for some reason the Victory riders have polls up there buts too.. and there bikes are worse lol
    I guess I'll sell my Victory tomorrow!

I was talking to a couple HD guys the other day and one of them asked me why I didn't buy an American made bike. I never said anything, but his buddy told him my Vic was more American made than his HD. Subject changed, conversation soon ended.