Sour Harley Grapes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sour Harley Grapes

My best friend and riding partner rides an Ultra Classic. We always have some friendly banter going on but we respect each other and the bikes. He has told me that my 9 is one of the best looking bikes he has seen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Man...when I was in Sturgis...seemed like 90% of the bikes were Harley...and a lot of those were street glides. I ride with mostly Harley folks, and we have a mutual admiration for different bikes. When we stop, however....my 9 gets a lot of attention. Kind of awkward...probably like being a rock star...

Last week I was meeting my Harley friend at his house...so parked the nine in the driveway. His neighbor comes out and is asking all the questions...then he proceeds to take a iPhone video walk around the nine. My Harley friend is used to it...but still funny.

On the way to Sturgis...these Chinese tourists were taking pictures of the 9 which was parked behind my buddies Road Glide Ultra.

When the attention starts...I love it...but I do feel a little bad for the neglected Harley owners.
    09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

Default Yeaaa, what he said!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    I know every guy with a 9 has heard the sour grapes arguments from the Hardly guys. The best is when they talk about the "superior quality." What kind of quality are they talking about? Is it all the low tech parts on those under-engineered death traps? This is a company who had to farm out the engineering of their sole sport bike to Porsche and they still werent able to build something with reasonable handeling or comfort. So what kind of quality are these guys referring to?

Anyway, what I hear are a bunch of guys who drank too much of HD's marketing Kool-aid and talk a bunch of sour grapes so as not to admit the vast superiority of the 109.
    "Life's is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, leaking oil with your engine smoking, shouting GERONIMO!" - Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid.- Speeding is ONLY a crime IF you get caught.

"The Devil Inside" TBAR = That Boy Ain't Right

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Circus Bear View Post
    Not to brag, but I make enough money that I could've bought ANY motorcycle I wanted... and I wanted a 9. It's true what others have said: when I go to bike nights and local hangouts I get love from everyone: sport bikers, adventure bikers, cruiser riders, even Harley guys (until they find out its not a Harley), while most Harley guys are off in their own little group. I'm glad they like their bikes (and tshirts, and vests, and jackets, and wallets, and boots, and belts, and watches...) but if you'll all remember back to elementary school, it wasn't the cool kids saying "Oh yeah? Well you're just jealous!" to everyone.
    Same here. Honestly, I don't get the brand thing. I rented a lot of bikes in my time. Street glide, VRod, Road king, VTX, etc. I bought my nine because it was different and I got a very good deal from my local dealership. I did look at HD. But I just couldn't find one I liked. I also looked at the new Honda Wings (Super, super nice!!) and the....GSXR1000. I guess I have no loyalty with cars or motorcycles. I buy based off what I like at the time and what I can get a good deal on. As longs as guys are happy with what they ride, I'm cool with that. I just don't like how some will buy a motorcycle to make a statement of "I am one of these kinds of guys". I wish it was "I am now a biker and I respect all you guys". But I see the same thing with cycling. I have 3 bikes. A road bike, a full suspension, and a rigid rear/front suspension. It's there too. "Roadies suck" says the MTB's. Now the MTB group is segmenting themselves. I ride a 29'er. That 26 just doesn't handle. Whatever people. Just enjoy your damn bikes and enjoy the group you ride with. Enjoy the cool, creative stuff guys do to their bike to make it different. Makes life so much more enjoyable.

I will say this. The 9'er community is very supportive and just a group of great people. I have enjoyed the short time I have had my 9 and the people I have connected with on here.

i went to the local hotspot for bikes near me last weekend (in the uk) and the same old thing came up. Two harelys sat there,
    I pulled in on my c with a friend on his rocket. we parked up and walked off. When we returned The harley riders came up to us and the first question i got was whats your bike flowed by "are they ashamed to put a name on it becus it isnt a Harley" my reply was "i looked at buying a Harley but i didnt want a chinese bike,, if i did i would have brought a Skyjet"
    They didnt seem amused.

BUT its not just the harley boys that are snobs for some reason the Victory riders have polls up there buts too.. and there bikes are worse lol

My wife and I have been looking at HD bikes. (The 9 is just too fat at the rear for my wife to feel comfortable on as a passenger)

I really like the looks of the limited edition CVO. It comes with many Screaming Eagle Accessories.
    Brown leather seats, tons of chrome, gold leaf stripes in the tri-color brown paint job. It is gorgeous.

The bike was priced right at $30,000.00. As we drove away from the dealer my dear wife, who has a gift for saying it like it is said:

"If you are seriously considering spending $30K on something that rolls, we should trade off this Volvo and get a new Volvo or BMW."

We can afford the 30k, but just 'cause you can afford something does not make it the right thing to do....

Add to that the operating temperature of ~250 degrees for the HD to the 9's 200 degrees, and that my 9 gets 90% of the attention when I ride with my HD friends when we stop.

For now we will keep our money where it is.

Very Active Member jerrythekingpin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_M109R View Post

My buddies I ride with all have Harleys (5 Harleys and a 9), but they all openly admire the 9. Now just guess what bike gets all the looks and comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Elsemade View Post
    They didnt seem amused.

BUT its not just the harley boys that are snobs for some reason the Victory riders have polls up there buts too.. and there bikes are worse lol
    I guess I'll sell my Victory tomorrow!

I was talking to a couple HD guys the other day and one of them asked me why I didn't buy an American made bike. I never said anything, but his buddy told him my Vic was more American made than his HD. Subject changed, conversation soon ended.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post
    I guess I'll sell my Victory tomorrow!

I was talking to a couple HD guys the other day and one of them asked me why I didn't buy an American made bike. I never said anything, but his buddy told him my Vic was more American made than his HD. Subject changed, conversation soon ended.
    F**K them Dave . It's not what we ride, it's that we ride. Stop being so emotional LOL............They are just punks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    F**K them Dave . It's not what we ride, it's that we ride. Stop being so emotional LOL............They are just punks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I thought it was funny!

The guy that knows about Vics is the one that is mounting my new tire. Our wives work together so we are friends, as long as I ooh and aww over his two HD's.

Actually, they are very nice bikes. They do a lot of miles every year on them. He just got tired of the shop scratching his rims when they changed tires so he bought his own machine and the tools to do it without kuffing up the rims. Doesn't cost me anything but a few ounces of beads.

My Roadstar looks more Harley than most Harleys. I'm not trying to look like a Harley, I just like the retro look. I get Harley guys admire all the time until they get close enough to see the Yamaha Stars all over it. Some stick around and give props anyway, most run away disgusted that a bike can look as good as any for less than a third the cost.
    I get the same with the 9.
    perhaps we should start a new thread. people caught running away from the M109
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, 2011 Victory Cross Country, 2003 Yamaha Roadstar, too many mods to list

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

Default There's another Vrod...NOT!

We cruised the strip at Hollister this year and parked in the middle of the street. Bikes were parked fishbone style on both directions. As we were getting ready to walk away, this big burly dude tells his buddy, "there's another Vrod." I looked up and said, "Actually, it's an M109R." He looked at me as if I just spoke some kind of jiberish. Then I said Suzuki. He was pissed and just turned and walked away.

Very Active Member

Since I've had the 9 I've been able to find out who the Kool-Aid drinking Harley guys are, and who are enthusiast of ALL motorcycles...the Kool-Aid drinkers walk away as soon they find out the 9 is a Suzuki...as if to say "if it's not a Harley, then I don't want to know anything about it." People who are interested in all motorcycles ask more questions about it...

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Since I've had the 9 I've been able to find out who the Kool-Aid drinking Harley guys are, and who are enthusiast of ALL motorcycles...the Kool-Aid drinkers walk away as soon they find out the 9 is a Suzuki...as if to say "if it's not a Harley, then I don't want to know anything about it." People who are interested in all motorcycles ask more questions about it...
    Exactly!

A couple of weeks ago we went to Harrahs in Cherokee to see Tim Mcgraw at their modest venue. Great show BTW!
    As we were waiting to get in, a man and his girlfriend started a conversation with us. I was wearing a Deal's Gap ball cap and the guy asks me what kind of bike I had gambling that it was a Harley. (good odds!) Unfortunately he lost his bet when I told him I owned a Suzuki M109R and a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. He immediately changed his demeanor telling me he owned three Harleys and started getting nervous like he had to go. Conversation sort of went sour and basically ended so I began conversation with his girlfriend asking her where they were from etc.. After several minutes of Tina and I talking with her I finally decided to push the Harley/metric issue on him so I asked him "why are you acting so nervous?" (4 Bud Lights talking) His GF started to chuckle. "Have you never stood this close to a Metric owner before?" LOL! He actually laughs and says that he knows several guys who owns Metrics and doesn't have a problem with it but doesn't know anything about them. He excuses himself to go get a beer and never returns leaving his GF with us. Later I see them in the beer line together so they did hook back up.
    Basically, since he was a "Kool-Aid drinking Harley owner" and not a "Motorcyclist" we had nothing in common to discuss.

I've had similar results, but two experiences come to mind completely different, I was at a light when two guys pulled up beside me on HD's one guy looked admiringly but said nothing the usual, as soon as the light turned green the other spit at my bike and took off, I flipped and caught them no problem at the next light I jumped off my bike went up to the idiot and said did he want to do something about that bull**** he just looked at me snobbishly so I turned his key took it out and threw on the side on the sidewalk, his buddy just stared not know what the hell was going on, I hopped on mine rode off laughing to myself.

A side from that I get compliments almost everyday I ride, one of those days I was at the gas station and a guy driving a dodge p/u came over and said "that's the nicest bike I've ever seen, what kind is it?" I always go straight to the line "it's a Suzuki" and he says "Wow well it's STILL the nicest bike I've ever seen!"....... lol the ultimate compliment

Oh really love the little kids with big staring eyes and smiles in their folks car giving big thumbs up or tapping their siblings and pointing enthusiastically
    07- kuryakyn hypercharger Pro intakes, power commander, ATRE, Hard Krome Sideburner exhaust, Dunlop E3 250/40/18 rear, Chromed factory wheels, Chrome chin mesh rad guard. grips, mirrors, Chrome 1" pull risers, clear D2moto tail with integrated Turn signals, custom LEd strip rear turn and brake lights, vinyl wrapped forks, mini LED front signals, 2" lowering bones by Yana Shiki, Blue LED's

Very Active Member

You guys do realize that they are only really upset with themselves for liking something without knowing what it is, right? Brad made a shirt for me a while back that had the HD emblem outline with the words " M109, the bike "they" hate to like" Always a crowd pleaser. lol

Holy crap, what a-hole....nice move on the key

Quote Originally Posted by Beast2 View Post
    I've had similar results, but two experiences come to mind completely different, I was at a light when two guys pulled up beside me on HD's one guy looked admiringly but said nothing the usual, as soon as the light turned green the other spit at my bike and took off, I flipped and caught them no problem at the next light I jumped off my bike went up to the idiot and said did he want to do something about that bull**** he just looked at me snobbishly so I turned his key took it out and threw on the side on the sidewalk, his buddy just stared not know what the hell was going on, I hopped on mine rode off laughing to myself.

A side from that I get compliments almost everyday I ride, one of those days I was at the gas station and a guy driving a dodge p/u came over and said "that's the nicest bike I've ever seen, what kind is it?" I always go straight to the line "it's a Suzuki" and he says "Wow well it's STILL the nicest bike I've ever seen!"....... lol the ultimate compliment

Oh really love the little kids with big staring eyes and smiles in their folks car giving big thumbs up or tapping their siblings and pointing enthusiastically
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

Banned

This story is a bunch of bull !! A Harley ignition key only unlocks the ignition switch and you take the key out,it DOES NOT stay in the ignition. Come back with a better made up story next time!

Is that true for all model year hardleys, all models?

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEY 9 View Post
    This story is a bunch of bull !! A Harley ignition key only unlocks the ignition switch and you take the key out,it DOES NOT stay in the ignition. Come back with a better made up story next time!
    Is this cute lil bike what you ride now? Its cute.

LUV ya bro...........

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    Is that true for all model year hardleys, all models?
    No it isn't. I think it might only be the ones with the security system. Either way if he turned it off, wouldn't it shut down? Good story, true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEY 9 View Post
    Funny guy, guess you know all models, years and every harley on the street, I know I don't all, but I do I know was it was an old piece of ..... I am beholding to you for correcting my reality must have imagined it, whatever floats your boat man. Hope you have a better day
    07- kuryakyn hypercharger Pro intakes, power commander, ATRE, Hard Krome Sideburner exhaust, Dunlop E3 250/40/18 rear, Chromed factory wheels, Chrome chin mesh rad guard. grips, mirrors, Chrome 1" pull risers, clear D2moto tail with integrated Turn signals, custom LEd strip rear turn and brake lights, vinyl wrapped forks, mini LED front signals, 2" lowering bones by Yana Shiki, Blue LED's

They got nice paint and chrome But it ends there!
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TORQ View Post
    They got nice paint and chrome But it ends there!
    LOL That's what I told them in Paris Tx and he went on how their paint is better then everyone else. Said their paint is 5 mill thick, where others only go 3 mill with their paint. i says, well that splains your good lookin paint LOL

Banned

Funny guy, guess you know all models, years and every harley on the street, I know I don't all, but I do I know was it was an old piece of ..... I am beholding to you for correcting my reality must have imagined it, whatever floats your boat man. Hope you have a better day
    Actually I do and your "story" is a bunch of bull.

Strange, but where I live I get grief from those who cant believe I ride a motorcycle period!! They always throw at me the chance of accidents and how you would rarely survive one . They cant believe at my age I would risk riding. Im 56. All I can come back with is if i have to explain it to you why I ride, you wouldn't understand anyway. I know they have a point but I just ignore. I think deep down most wish they could do what im doing but since wife thing would veto it they cap on me instead.I have to admit it is more hurtful in a way than some silly, childish brand name argument.

You should see my grief. I got hit by a car in April and my family is on me big time. I'm 58, live alone, and I'm hoping to ride next season. At my stage of life, who cares! I love riding, I did 10,000 miles a year, and it's in my blood now. Something worse happens, so be it.

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Rider View Post
    Strange, but where I live I get grief from those who cant believe I ride a motorcycle period!! They always throw at me the chance of accidents and how you would rarely survive one . They cant believe at my age I would risk riding. Im 56. All I can come back with is if i have to explain it to you why I ride, you wouldn't understand anyway. I know they have a point but I just ignore. I think deep down most wish they could do what im doing but since wife thing would veto it they cap on me instead.I have to admit it is more hurtful in a way than some silly, childish brand name argument.
    I have started telling people who feel the need to explain how dangerous riding a motorcycle to me is to stop warning me and please look twice before you pull out or change lanes.
    I do agree though. I love the look I get from the guys driving by in their minivans with screaming kinds in the back. That longing to be free like me look. Love it!!
    07 Pearl M109R: Cobra Swepts, Chrome Derby Cover, PC III USB, Chrome Swing Arm, Debeavered, Poor Mans Chrome Rad , Debadged, Tach Relocation, White Front Reflectors, Smoked Signal and Brake Lights, Front Signals into LED Driving lights, Holley Intakes, Tricky Air Ride, HID Headlight, TRE, 250 Fat Rear Tire, '11 Black Rims, Painted Rotors, Switchblade pegs, Arlen Ness Grips, ISO rear grips, OEM Crash Bars, Chrome kickstand, and more to come....

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Rider View Post
    Strange, but where I live I get grief from those who cant believe I ride a motorcycle period!! ... I have to admit it is more hurtful in a way than some silly, childish brand name argument.
    This is just guilt by association (an inductive informal fallacy) perpetuated by the fixed attitude that associates motorcycles with danger. Their argument is inherently invalid, so don't let them get to you.

It could be argued that motorcycles are dangerous, but relative to what? Every decision in life involves risk management to some degree. Perhaps motorcycling is a borderline spiritual experience that lowers your stress level and prevents that heart attack or stroke you could have gotten had you not been riding. Maybe the decreased level of stress puts you in a better mood and allows you to be more pleasant to those around you. You've chosen an activity that has benefits and manageable risks. You can easily mitigate these risks so that they are grossly outweighed by the benefits.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wjduke View Post
    You should see my grief. I got hit by a car in April and my family is on me big time. I'm 58, live alone, and I'm hoping to ride next season. At my stage of life, who cares! I love riding, I did 10,000 miles a year, and it's in my blood now. Something worse happens, so be it.

If you love it, you gotta do it.

I'll be riding a trike in my 80's if I have to ... to get the wind in my face.