Exhaust clip - Cobra Swepts w/ modified baffles. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 88 of 88

Thread: Exhaust clip - Cobra Swepts w/ modified baffles.

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    All done! Best way I found to line the baffles up was to put a bright light behind the hole then you can see the light on the inside they sound heaps better ......... No wonder the power is down with stock baffles on the cobras.
    Now stop doing mods !!! Arghhh!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382676557.262355.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	108273

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #62
    Active Member OzziCub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    77

    Default

    I was really hoping to avoid having to take the pipes off. Looks like its the safest way though.


  4. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OzziCub View Post
    I was really hoping to avoid having to take the pipes off. Looks like its the safest way though.
    Wtf ! Safe? ..........I just did mine with them on there ....nothing unsafe about it.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Use this for wrap....better then that other stuff that burns away.

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACOUSTAFI...ade727f&_uhb=1

  7. #65
    Very Active Member Big-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MoCo Maryland
    Posts
    16,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sidVZR View Post
    All done! Best way I found to line the baffles up was to put a bright light behind the hole then you can see the light on the inside they sound heaps better ......... No wonder the power is down with stock baffles on the cobras.
    Now stop doing mods !!! Arghhh!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382676557.262355.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	108273
    So how do you like the sound?

    sent from my galaxy S3 from somewhere outside space


    IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

  8. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    So how do you like the sound?

    sent from my galaxy S3 from somewhere outside space
    sounds good Deep rumble @ idle and real cracks when you get on the juice!

    Thanks for the tips.

  9. #67
    Very Active Member Big-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MoCo Maryland
    Posts
    16,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sidVZR View Post
    sounds good Deep rumble @ idle and real cracks when you get on the juice!

    Thanks for the tips.
    Awesome glad you like it

    sent from my galaxy S3 from somewhere outside space


    IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

  10. #68
    Active Member OzziCub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    77

    Default

    I was contemplating doing this mod but was a little unsure. Since the baffles came out so easily I decided to go for it. So glad i did. Loving the sound. I did grind the baffles down a little so they are nice and easy to take out and put back in. Not sure how long the fibreglass cloth will last but will order some AcoustaFil PTX and do it properly. Very happy for now.
    Also added some blue wheel tape which sets the wheels off nicely.
    Thanks for all the tips guys.


  11. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Exhaust clip - Cobra Swepts w/ modified baffles.

    Mine is running like a pig today missing and farting on full throttle......... Dunno what's up with it ....might try new plugs and the bully controller might help sort it.
    Last edited by sidVZR; 10-26-2013 at 02:31 AM.

  12. #70
    Active Member OzziCub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Surely nothing to do with the pipes and the baffles. You were having issues a while ago weren't you?


  13. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OzziCub View Post
    Surely nothing to do with the pipes and the baffles. You were having issues a while ago weren't you?
    Nah doubt it has to do with pipes n baffles .... Having issues with 2 power commanders .... I've removed that now . Ill do plugs and bully and go from there .ive only had one set of plugs in it since owning it . 48,500ks might be time for new ones .

  14. #72
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Austalia
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Has anyone done this and regretted it??

    Input appreciated.

    I'm thinking about it and my concern is that if there is a loss in performance or some other reason I don't like it then I have wrecked my baffles and can't go back.
    Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #73
    Active Member OzziCub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    77

    Default

    I was thinking the exact same thing and then decided to just go for it. Very happy. I was riding with another 109 owner last weekend and after hearing my bike he will be doing the same thing. Pretty sure you wont be disappointed.


  16. #74
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Austalia
    Posts
    95

    Default

    So no problems long term ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #75
    Very Active Member Big-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MoCo Maryland
    Posts
    16,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
    So no problems long term ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is NO change in performance. Only sound. The baffles are still being utilized and keeping back pressure as before. Go for it!!


    IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

  18. #76
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Austalia
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    There is NO change in performance. Only sound. The baffles are still being utilized and keeping back pressure as before. Go for it!!
    Ok thanks :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
    Has anyone done this and regretted it??

    Input appreciated.

    I'm thinking about it and my concern is that if there is a loss in performance or some other reason I don't like it then I have wrecked my baffles and can't go back.
    Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would be a piece of cake to go back how it was anyway two tack welds hold the centre bit in place .....and a weld around the edge of the ends you cut off

  20. #78
    Very Active Member Glocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Any idea for 2 stripped screws that hold baffles in

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  21. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glocker23 View Post
    Any idea for 2 stripped screws that hold baffles in

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Tack weld a 10 mm bolt on the head of the Allen key bolt.

  22. #80
    Very Active Member Glocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    723

    Default

    And if u don't have a welder. Lol

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  23. #81
    Very Active Member Big-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MoCo Maryland
    Posts
    16,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glocker23 View Post
    Any idea for 2 stripped screws that hold baffles in

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    How did you manage that? Is it the screws or the holes? Re tap the holes and get new screws.


    IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

  24. #82
    Very Active Member Glocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Hmmm. Good call. Screw heads are rounded out can't get a hold of it

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  25. #83
    Very Active Member Big-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MoCo Maryland
    Posts
    16,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glocker23 View Post
    Hmmm. Good call. Screw heads are rounded out can't get a hold of it

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Well, you'll have to take the pipes off to get them out so..... get a good sharp tip punch, on the outer edge of the head of the screw hit it (with a hammer) making a good indentation, then angle the punch and hit the head of the screw in a CCW direction and see if you can get it to move. If you have access to a propane torch, (Home Depot or the like) that will help by heating the threads first in breaking loose the screw.


    IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

  26. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glocker23 View Post
    And if u don't have a welder. Lol

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Take it to someone that does its a 10 min job plus the heat will help it turn out ....

  27. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi.

    Sorry my bad english.

    What is louder ? Swept pipes + stock baffles
    or swept pipes + modified baffles.

  28. #86
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Missouri
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Finally got around to doing this. (Harris, this is what we need to do for your pipes, video)





    The baffle modification was copied from sorge109
    Here is what I did w/ the baffles.
    As far as the baffles go, you can def put them on a belt sander so they will slide right in. That's what I did. Don't need to spend the money on the Monsters. Oh and the pipes are much louder then the video lets on.
    Here is what the stock baffles look like before cutting



    Cut the closed end of the baffles off so they look like this


    Next, take a hole saw, 1.5" and cut out the baffles so they are straight through




    Then, get some fiberglass wrap, I bought this from Napa


    Get some aluminum window screen and wrap the baffle, this will keep the cloth from being sucked through the holes. I used safety wire to secure the screen.


    Cut a strip the same width as the baffle and wrap them so the cloth is as thick as the outer diameter of the baffle. I again used safety wire to secure the packing



    Then they are ready to go back in the pipes. Keep in mind the baffles are pipe specific. Because of the arch, they are slightly different and not interchangeable.

    I also ran the contact areas of the baffles where they seat in the pipes on a belts sander and took some metal down so they would slide in and out of the pipe w/o any trouble.

    I ran my Swepts for a year and a half w/o baffles before doing this mod. It's still plenty loud, but had a deeper, nicer tone. Sounds great!!!

    Great post! I have a question, I don't really want louder, I would however like deeper, I have heard that if you just wrap standard baffles that the sound gets deeper, has anyone tried just leaving the baffle in original condition and wrapping it with the baffle cloth and putting them back in??

    Marty

  29. #87

    Default mines in the mail

    cant wait to try this on my pipes

  30. #88
    Very Active Member Latinrascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    Great post! I have a question, I don't really want louder, I would however like deeper, I have heard that if you just wrap standard baffles that the sound gets deeper, has anyone tried just leaving the baffle in original condition and wrapping it with the baffle cloth and putting them back in??

    Marty

    I have the Raw-Taz Shorty 2 into 1 pipe which sounds phenomenal both with and without (sounds like a 454 big lock without) a baffle. Anyway I realize it's a completely different pipe however I've played around with wrapping my baffle for reasons similar to your stated preference here and I figured the info might be helpful.

    With or without a baffle In my pipe it can be loud or it can be on the somewhat quiet side when wanted pending how I ride but what I found was that wrapping the baffle will quiet down the pipe some, it sorta takes the TINie mid range sounds and seems to amplify the lows so that you can really feel the beast.

    So wrapping the baffles in a few layers of fiberglass cloth will absolutely "Calm Down" the exhaust sound making it have a more pleasing low bass sound but its only gonna do so much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •