fishtailing when downshifting? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fishtailing when downshifting?

Quote Originally Posted by crfishon View Post
    Downshifting way to early.. I don't hit 1st till I'm stopped..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    BikerGranny would rip your head off, and spit down your neck. You have NO idea who you're messing with. She'll be coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice. You'll be crying when she's done with you. That is a promise. Normally there is no fighting at the meet. But, I may make an exception in your case. LYIANFW!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Seriously be careful, My friend dumped my 9 in a parking lot going from 2nd to 1st. It doesn't happen too bad with me on it, but then again I weigh like 110lbs more than him. The thing you need to look at really is matching rpm's when downshifting. If not you experience the wrath or the 9's torque when "engine braking".

Very Active Member

Just install a slipper clutch, problem solved. Sorry I couldn't resist. I had it happen a few times when I got my 9 but quickly learned how to avoid it. You'll work your way around it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

kawzx7

Quote Originally Posted by chef109 View Post
    Just install a slipper clutch, problem solved. Sorry I couldn't resist. I had it happen a few times when I got my 9 but quickly learned how to avoid it. You'll work your way around it.
    I got a back torque limiter (slipper) clutch in Kaw speak on my Ninja. Love it.

Here's an oldie but goodie.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146760
    Last edited by kawzx7; 06-22-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwl60 View Post
    I have never seen a bike that wears a tire out so fast that was not hot rodded.
    No chyt! I can't even get through 2 oil changes before needing a rear tire with no peeling out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Downshifting gives rear drag for control upon slowing, stopping or turning and is the correct thing to do in any manualy shifted vehicle but I can't think of ANY instance where downshifting into first gear on a 9 would be of any benefit.

First gear is a stump puller on this bike, never any need to use it other than from a full stop. This bike has more than enough low end to pull, even two up, in second gear from a rolling start.
    "
    Never underestimate old age and treachery"

Yup, first time I ever rode a 9, test drove a stock Burple. I was coming off a 94 Suzuki RF900RR, that thing loves to rev, you could downshift all you want to engine brake and it would just spin up and take it. I got to my first stop on the 9 and locked up the back wheel downshifting. I musta skid that thing 4-5 times in a 20 minute test drive just by downshifting.

I quickly learned that it is a whole nutha animal and can't be driven like a sport bike. On a sport bike you wanna keep the revs high and stay in a lower gear. This bike lives on torque, no reason to be in 1st other than being stopped and taking off. 1st in a turn is not necessary, 2 will work fine no matter how slow the corner.
    2007 M109R Pearl White - Mods: Gutted/Debaffled Exhaust, Yana Shiki 2" Bones, TDE TRE, V-Stream Windshield, Debadged, Debeavered, Kury Rear Tails, Tach Relocated, Kury ISO Grips, Kury Transformer Throttle Boss, Baron Bullet Bar Ends, Kury Switchblade Pegs, Cyclehouse Levers, Boulevard Mirrors, Rivco Highway Pegs, Corbin Seat, Metz 240/160. ​RIP

Quote Originally Posted by LOFLYR View Post
    Yup, first time I ever rode a 9, test drove a stock Burple. I was coming off a 94 Suzuki RF900RR, that thing loves to rev, you could downshift all you want to engine brake and it would just spin up and take it. I got to my first stop on the 9 and locked up the back wheel downshifting. I musta skid that thing 4-5 times in a 20 minute test drive just by downshifting.

I quickly learned that it is a whole nutha animal and can't be driven like a sport bike. On a sport bike you wanna keep the revs high and stay in a lower gear. This bike lives on torque, no reason to be in 1st other than being stopped and taking off. 1st in a turn is not necessary, 2 will work fine no matter how slow the corner.
    Guess it just gives me more reason to get out and ride :-) Thanks for everyone's help. I figured I was probably shifting too early, but wanted to make sure. The 9 is a totally different beast than what I'm use to. I'm glad I found this site; it is such a wealth of knowledge.
    ​"The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." Gen Douglas MacArthur
    06 M109r - Debadged, Painted Headlight Housing, Debaffled, Debeavered, Wolo Air Horn, Under the tail LED rear Blinkers (DIY), LED Light bar front turn signals (DIY), Painted Gadson tail light (DIY), TRE, Cobra PowerPro, Spiked Air Intakes

Very Active Member purvistechie's Avatar

Like others have said, you need to get your revs up when down shifting. I don't recommend down shifting to first however, it's too low. By giving your throttle a blip it gets the RPMS up to match where they'll be when you let out the clutch. It makes it much easier on the transmission also.

For those that don't down shift, I think that you may be a little short sighted, and here's why. If you don't have your bike in an acceptable gear at all times, if you need to give throttle to get out of trouble, you have to try to find a gear first which may take too long. You always want two choices, speed up or slow down. If your clutch is in and your bike is in a gear that's too high or too low, your screwed. I understand your thoughts on the transmission, but I PERSONALLY think it's a mistake. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it that way!

OLD - RED 07 loaded, NEW - 2015 StreetGlide Special Black Denim Dropped Bags, CVO Rear Fender, Passenger Boards, Chop Tour Pack, Driver Back Rest, Stage 3 BOOM! Audio, Full Sac Headers, Tuner, Exhaust.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmor69 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with using engine braking if you can be smooth about it. If you're in the mountains, it's a must if you don't want your brakes to fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider 4 Life View Post
    I can agree with that if you know what your doing. I would never recommend it for someone less experienced.

I have been riding for over 20 years and I have never used engine braking, unless absolutely necessary. And I have never, on any of my bikes had transmission problems, shortened tire life, or any drivetrain issues what so ever. Everyone rides different.
    43k miles on my bike and I have rev matched and downshifted every time. I clutch in, click down, burp it and let the clutch out. You just have to get a good feel for how much rev to throw. I have done it for over 20 years myself and never had any tranny issues.

When's the last time you checked the air pressure in your tires? Low air pressure can also make you feel like it's going to fishtail because the tire is actually rolling from side to side on the rim.

Very Active Member

Always blip the throttle when downshifting. Ideally, your RPMs would match exactly, but it's way better and easier to be a little high than too low (your RPMs). If your RPMs of the gear you're switching to are lower than your wheel speed, then the engine will have to match up. This has the effect of braking on your rear wheel, just with the engine instead of the brake caliper.

It can be a dangerous situation if you're not careful, especially in first. I almost never downshift into first while I'm moving. It's the hardest gear to match correctly.

40 years Bernie, you are really showing your age. You could have said 20+, 30+ or something but you had to say 40 years. Everyone rides different, me personally I just don't use engine braking often.
    LOL yeah so I'm an older f**ker, I'm still gettin it done bro!!! Oh, I started riding at age 10

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mil_man87 View Post
    Ok; so this is kind of strange, or because I'm a newbie maybe its not strange at all. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
    When i downshift it shifts down pretty hard. Especially from 3 to 2 to 1. But my issue is if I downshift while turning, or even on a slight curve, i feel like my rear tire is slipping out on me?
    I know I need a new tire soon, but does this happen to anyone else? Today I was barely leaning; guy pulled out in front me and he didn't cut me off, but I braked a little (not hard) and down shifted to 1st and almost lost my rear end. Spooked the S*** out of me.
    Can anyone shed some light on this? My tire isn't bald, but I do need a new one soon or am I just downshifting too early? Or should I not be downshifting at all in curves? Thanks guys

Trevor
    Big time compression skid in first. If you are shifting down, say, in the neighborhood and just about to initiate a turn do NOT downshift into first. No need. Approach the corner in second and feather through. I think it's just because you are not used to big bikes with big torque and big compression. You'll figure it out.
    KarateMoto!!

Very Active Member Rider 4 Life's Avatar

LOL..And I thought you were gonna say you started riding at age 3 or 4. I have no doubt you are still making it happen Bernie. You Da'Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    LOL yeah so I'm an older f**ker, I'm still gettin it done bro!!! Oh, I started riding at age 10
    2011 m109R LE, FI2000 AutoTuner, Apus custom mirrors, VStream short shield, Arlen Ness Battistini footpegs and hand grips, debeavered, Raw Design Stealth rear signal lights, Cobra TriPro Black exhaust, Custom bullet LED front signals, Jardine Quick Detach rear backrest, Low and Mean Forcewinder Intakes with screens and daggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    I do it all the time w/ no issue. I throw a rev to compensate for speed. I've been riding for 40 years and never had a tranny issue on any of the +13 bikes I have owned.
    Same here. Always throw a small quick rev when I down shift. Honestly more experience is needed here if your having this issue. Damn B, your old! I've only got 21 yrs under my belt. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by antmor69 View Post
    You are downshifting too early. Gears 1-3 are lower than on your previous bikes. It's a good idea to get in the gear you want for the turn while you're still going straight.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mil_man87 View Post
    Guess it just gives me more reason to get out and ride :-) Thanks for everyone's help. I figured I was probably shifting too early, but wanted to make sure. The 9 is a totally different beast than what I'm use to. I'm glad I found this site; it is such a wealth of knowledge.

Guess you'll have to hop over to this side of the river, and we'll get you some practice, then.

Default wow , i then need a slpper clucth on the boss .

Quote Originally Posted by chef109 View Post

Coming off my GSXR 07/1k i had a slipper clutch and before going into corners i can down shift at any speeds , Rear wheel would never lock up. Now that i am spoiled . This is scary , I thought being suzuki and all the 9 would automatically come with a slipper . This kind of sucks , taking me back to the old shrad bikes matching rpm to down shift at the right time.

How much did you pay to get that slipper clutch. I will be doing it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Coming off my GSXR 07/1k i had a slipper clutch and before going into corners i can down shift at any speeds , Rear wheel would never lock up. Now that i am spoiled . This is scary , I thought being suzuki and all the 9 would automatically come with a slipper . This kind of sucks , taking me back to the old shrad bikes matching rpm to down shift at the right time.

How much did you pay to get that slipper clutch. I will be doing it soon.
    This thread is 2 1/2 yrs old, luckily chef109 is still around but hasn't been on a lot.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Default lol

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    This thread is 2 1/2 yrs old, luckily chef109 is still around but hasn't been on a lot.
    Thanks for bringing it to lite , i used the search button and found this regarding the slip clutch . I am just use to going into corners hot with my gsxr and down shifting before going into the corners help . Not that i am going to be doing that with the 9 or maybe. lol

I had a scary incident with me and Tina on the bike last year near Maggie. I accelerated hard to get in front of my son and quickly approached car that was breaking. No big deal except that I pulled in the clutch then let it back out and the rear end started doing a bunny hop to the side. It will tighten your panties!!
    All I could think about after that was how bad this bike needed a slipper. Suzuki put one in their V-Strom 1000 which really didn't need one as far as I can tell. Maybe the next generation 109 will get one. It needs it as bad as any bike I have ever ridden.
    Suzuki...are you reading this??

Pomona, Peoples Republic of Kalifornistan

First is for when my foot is about to hit the ground to stop or to the point where i have to put my foot down...

second all the way on turns and when coming up to a stop.

fishtailing is not good.. at some point you'll do that and the rear will lock up completely if your going too fast...
    2013 M109R LE
    Bassani Pro Street exhaust, Revo Exhaust servo eliminator, Heal-tech XTRE, PC V, PC AT200,CWI Crashbars,Fuzeblock, National Cycle Vstream (sport), Suzuki Tank Protector, Cobra Sissybar, Cobra Saddlebag Supports, Cobra Luggage Rack, CWI Backrest, Saddleman 3400 sissybar/seat bag, Kuryakyn ISO Wings (Front), YS Verticle Lic Plate Bracket

Coming off a super sportsbike myself, engine braking was never an issue. It's how I did all my red light and stop sign stops. But my 06 Gsxr 1000 is a way different animal than this 9.