240 vs 250/130 vs 160 tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 46

Thread: 240 vs 250/130 vs 160 tires

  1. #1
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

    Default 240 vs 250/130 vs 160 tires

    I took some comparison shots of the Stock tire sizes and the new tires i put on today. I chosen Dunlop E3 250 and a Metzler 880 160. Hope this helps with those who are considering this setup and are wondering what they look like. I put the Axles in so the rims are true to each other.


    Left Stock/Right E3 250


    250 on the Left



    Left Stock 130/Right Metzler 160


    160 on the left

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member Larry L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Copperas Cove, Texas
    Posts
    2,364

    Default

    I just put the Metz 160 & 260 on yesterday. Love em👍


    Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk
    ISO Grips, Breakaway Cruise control, PC-V, K&N Filters, Skythe Mirrors, Gipro ATRE, Cobra Swept exhaust, Sumo-X Side mount, D2Moto tail light with turn signals, Arnott Air Ride.
    Looking to win lottery for more mods.

  4. #3
    Very Active Member gottattooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hampton, Ga
    Posts
    3,998

    Default

    Nice pics, Ian. You're going to love that fat front.

    -Josh

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member NJDEVIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    JERZEY
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    I just did the 160 front last wednesday and I love it, whole different ride-smooth as butter

  7. #5
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    Love the looks alone so far, Makes the bike more intimidating looking

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Rome New York
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sumo View Post
    Love the looks alone so far, Makes the bike more intimidating looking
    Significantly. I just swapped out my rear, and shortly after realized how bad my front actually is lol. Thanks to these pics, i may have found my brand and size i will be running. What did that 160 run you $ wise?

    2007 M109r ISO grips, Upgraded taillight w/ integrates Signals, LED rear signals Undertail, 250 Dunnie Rear, Cobra Dragsters, Dual Spike Intake, FI2000, TrackDay Atre

  9. #7
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

  10. #8
    Very Active Member g9r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee / North Carolina Mountains
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    Sumo - if you will, post a review of the ride itself once you get out for a good spin on the new 160. I put the E3 250 on a few weeks back and will be looking at a new front tire soon (putting it off as long as I can). I'm thinking of going with the 160 up front as well.

  11. #9
    Very Active Member BigStroke109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yakima, WA (Eastern South Central)
    Posts
    402

    Default

    How many miles did you put on those stockers there Sumo? Did you decide to switch because eff it, because you can, or was it just time to upgrade?

  12. #10
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStroke109 View Post
    How many miles did you put on those stockers there Sumo? Did you decide to switch because eff it, because you can, or was it just time to upgrade?

    Stockers have 3k on em. I figured if i was gonna do rims up, might as well add new sneakers. Didnt make sense to swap over the old tires. I wanted to go to the Wider Look anyways.

    I took it for a ride today. Right off the bat, Felt smoother. It seems to stick better than oem but Im not going to ride it hard just yet. I scuffed the Tires but im going to play it safe and still go ahead and Break them in. Im also running Dyna Beads and had it up to 50mph. no vibrations Like Butter.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member NJDEVIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    JERZEY
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sumo View Post
    Stockers have 3k on em. I figured if i was gonna do rims up, might as well add new sneakers. Didnt make sense to swap over the old tires. I wanted to go to the Wider Look anyways.

    I took it for a ride today. Right off the bat, Felt smoother. It seems to stick better than oem but Im not going to ride it hard just yet. I scuffed the Tires but im going to play it safe and still go ahead and Break them in. Im also running Dyna Beads and had it up to 50mph. no vibrations Like Butter.

    When I took mine out saturday I was with the sportbike friends so I ran real hard , no wobbles no nothing, like riding on a cushion of air. All the imperfections in the road that would have your 130 swerving to one side, no more just smooths everything out. Disclaimer-I don't advise running real hard with brand new tires-but they are broke in now

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Rome New York
    Posts
    15

    Default

    [QUOTE=sumo;1653635]Bought from here

    http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/[/QUO

    Correct me if im wrong but, i can install the 160 on my stocker front wheel with no concerns or issues?

    2007 M109r ISO grips, Upgraded taillight w/ integrates Signals, LED rear signals Undertail, 250 Dunnie Rear, Cobra Dragsters, Dual Spike Intake, FI2000, TrackDay Atre

  15. #13
    Very Active Member NJDEVIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    JERZEY
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    [QUOTE=Jstevens109R;1654125]
    Quote Originally Posted by sumo View Post
    Bought from here

    http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/[/QUO

    Correct me if im wrong but, i can install the 160 on my stocker front wheel with no concerns or issues?
    I have a 18x4.25 front wheel with the 160 but there are plenty of guy's on here that are running on the stock front wheel with no problems at all So the answer is yes you can

  16. #14
    Very Active Member deezilone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    572

    Default

    280 rear & 160 up front is the best ride out there..... Love it!
    NY Phat Boyz - Vice President

  17. #15
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    [QUOTE=Jstevens109R;1654125]
    Quote Originally Posted by sumo View Post
    Bought from here

    http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/[/QUO

    Correct me if im wrong but, i can install the 160 on my stocker front wheel with no concerns or issues?
    Its just enough room for the 160. The injection mold Spikes that are in the tire can be heard rubbing the inside the fender. They will wear off fast though

  18. #16
    Very Active Member gottattooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hampton, Ga
    Posts
    3,998

    Default

    Ian, if you haven't done it already, you should adjust your front fender. I loosened the mounting bolts, wedged a screwdriver between the rear of the fender and the tire, and tightened the bolts (then remove the screwdriver!!). I've got 1/2 inch clearance in the back, and an inch or so in the front. Never had an issue with rubbing or scraping.

    -Josh

  19. #17
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    Ian, if you haven't done it already, you should adjust your front fender. I loosened the mounting bolts, wedged a screwdriver between the rear of the fender and the tire, and tightened the bolts (then remove the screwdriver!!). I've got 1/2 inch clearance in the back, and an inch or so in the front. Never had an issue with rubbing or scraping.

    -Josh
    thanks for the tip

  20. #18
    Active Member joker07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    96

    Default help

    whats the tire size i need for the front for the mez. and how good is the dyna beads, thanks

  21. #19
    Very Active Member gottattooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hampton, Ga
    Posts
    3,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joker07 View Post
    whats the tire size i need for the front for the mez. and how good is the dyna beads, thanks
    Metzeler marathon me880 160/60/vr18. Dynabeads are awesome. You'll need 2 ounces for the front and 3 ounces for the rear.

    -Josh
    Last edited by gottattooz; 06-20-2012 at 01:14 AM.

  22. #20
    Active Member joker07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    Metzeler marathon me880 160/6/vr18. Dynabeads are awesome. You'll need 2 ounces for the front and 3 ounces for the rear.

    -Josh
    thanks man really helps out

  23. #21
    Active Member joker07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    96

    Default ok need help

    alright orderd my 160 . now do i run it backwards or normal

  24. #22
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joker07 View Post
    alright orderd my 160 . now do i run it backwards or normal

    backwards. the reason
    is that the way the belt ends are lapped give the tire a better ability to withstand torque in one direction. On the rear tire the lap is positioned to withstand the torque of acceleration where on the front the lap is positioned to handle braking torque.

    Its on Metzler website.

    20. Arrow
    = The arrow indicates the rotation direction of the tyre accordingly to its fitting position (front or rear). In case a rear tyre is fitted on a front wheel, the tyre has to be fitted reverse to the rotating direction indicated on the sidewall. Fitment of front tyres on rear wheel is not permitted.

  25. #23
    Active Member joker07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    96

    Default thanks

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	323185_3727620107534_1648205442_o.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	70459thanks to all that helped me. got my tire on looks sick thanks guys
    Last edited by joker07; 06-25-2012 at 07:35 PM.

  26. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Erie,PA
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I just did the 160/250 swap Saturday. I put 80 miles on the 9 Sunday. I could not believe the difference in the ride and handling. Very smooth and handles 100 % better. I went with a Dunlop Roadsmart 160 and Dunlop E3 250 with dynabeads. $350 total from Rocky mountain ATV. You will not regret putting these tires on your 9.

  27. #25
    Very Active Member g9r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee / North Carolina Mountains
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    Please correct me if I am mistaken on this....

    Where I live, loose gravel on the road is part of the ride anytime I go out. If I were to upgrade to the 160 front tire, I'd need to raise the front fender to allow more clearance should the gravel go up under the fender.

    I'm going to need a new front tire soon and am trying to decide between stock and 160. From the above posts, sounds like it would improve my ride to have the 160. (E3 250 on the rear)

  28. #26
    Very Active Member NJDEVIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    JERZEY
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    You can go with the swap but if you have gravel all the time I would def raise the fender.

  29. #27
    Very Active Member antmor69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rockdale, Texas
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g9r View Post
    Please correct me if I am mistaken on this....

    Where I live, loose gravel on the road is part of the ride anytime I go out. If I were to upgrade to the 160 front tire, I'd need to raise the front fender to allow more clearance should the gravel go up under the fender.

    I'm going to need a new front tire soon and am trying to decide between stock and 160. From the above posts, sounds like it would improve my ride to have the 160. (E3 250 on the rear)
    I went a couple of months without any issues. Then a few weeks ago I was riding on a freshly resurfaced road that they used pea gravel to fill with and I ran rocks through the fender about 5 times in one day. I have fatblack's fender extenders now. Was worried I wouldn't like the look but after installing them I'm very pleased with em.

  30. #28
    Very Active Member sumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rhode island
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    I have not had any issues with gravel or pebbles n such. Live in a beach area so there always Sand and broken sea shells and small rocks about.

  31. #29
    Active Member StitchsLoft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    55

    Default Fatty on the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry L View Post
    I just put the Metz 160 & 260 on yesterday. Love em👍


    Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk
    You went all way to the 260 huh? I saw ppic here and the 260 looks smaller its weird?
    https://www.thevog.net/threads/250-vs-260-vs-280.56253/

    I want to go up to 160 for sure, running Dunlop 250EIII but everyone says they wear out fast and do not stick as well? Did you run the Dun 250?
    ~Stitch

  32. #30
    Active Member StitchsLoft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Well going to grab a 160 soon and see how I like it! May even go 250 up to 260 on rear...

    Guess I am looking at Metzeler then correct?

    Is this a good price? https://www.ebay.com/itm/332915025928

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •