M109 Rider Forums banner

240 vs 250/130 vs 160 tires

15K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  StitchsLoft 
#1 ·
I took some comparison shots of the Stock tire sizes and the new tires i put on today. I chosen Dunlop E3 250 and a Metzler 880 160. Hope this helps with those who are considering this setup and are wondering what they look like. I put the Axles in so the rims are true to each other.

Left Stock/Right E3 250

250 on the Left

Left Stock 130/Right Metzler 160

160 on the left

See less See more
#2 ·
I just put the Metz 160 & 260 on yesterday. Love em👍

Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Fatty on the front?

I just put the Metz 160 & 260 on yesterday. Love em👍

Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk
You went all way to the 260 huh? I saw ppic here and the 260 looks smaller its weird?
https://www.thevog.net/threads/250-vs-260-vs-280.56253/

I want to go up to 160 for sure, running Dunlop 250EIII but everyone says they wear out fast and do not stick as well? Did you run the Dun 250?
~Stitch

#6 ·
Love the looks alone so far, Makes the bike more intimidating looking
Significantly. I just swapped out my rear, and shortly after realized how bad my front actually is lol. Thanks to these pics, i may have found my brand and size i will be running. What did that 160 run you $ wise?

#8 ·
Sumo - if you will, post a review of the ride itself once you get out for a good spin on the new 160. I put the E3 250 on a few weeks back and will be looking at a new front tire soon (putting it off as long as I can). I'm thinking of going with the 160 up front as well.

#10 ·
Stockers have 3k on em. I figured if i was gonna do rims up, might as well add new sneakers. Didnt make sense to swap over the old tires. I wanted to go to the Wider Look anyways.

I took it for a ride today. Right off the bat, Felt smoother. It seems to stick better than oem but Im not going to ride it hard just yet. I scuffed the Tires but im going to play it safe and still go ahead and Break them in. Im also running Dyna Beads and had it up to 50mph. no vibrations Like Butter.

#16 ·
Ian, if you haven't done it already, you should adjust your front fender. I loosened the mounting bolts, wedged a screwdriver between the rear of the fender and the tire, and tightened the bolts (then remove the screwdriver!!). I've got 1/2 inch clearance in the back, and an inch or so in the front. Never had an issue with rubbing or scraping.

-Josh

#22 ·
alright orderd my 160 . now do i run it backwards or normal

backwards. the reason
is that the way the belt ends are lapped give the tire a better ability to withstand torque in one direction. On the rear tire the lap is positioned to withstand the torque of acceleration where on the front the lap is positioned to handle braking torque.

Its on Metzler website.

20. Arrow
= The arrow indicates the rotation direction of the tyre accordingly to its fitting position (front or rear). In case a rear tyre is fitted on a front wheel, the tyre has to be fitted reverse to the rotating direction indicated on the sidewall. Fitment of front tyres on rear wheel is not permitted.

#24 ·
I just did the 160/250 swap Saturday. I put 80 miles on the 9 Sunday. I could not believe the difference in the ride and handling. Very smooth and handles 100 % better. I went with a Dunlop Roadsmart 160 and Dunlop E3 250 with dynabeads. $350 total from Rocky mountain ATV. You will not regret putting these tires on your 9.:bigthumbsup:

#25 ·
Please correct me if I am mistaken on this....

Where I live, loose gravel on the road is part of the ride anytime I go out. If I were to upgrade to the 160 front tire, I'd need to raise the front fender to allow more clearance should the gravel go up under the fender.

I'm going to need a new front tire soon and am trying to decide between stock and 160. From the above posts, sounds like it would improve my ride to have the 160. (E3 250 on the rear)

#27 ·
I went a couple of months without any issues. Then a few weeks ago I was riding on a freshly resurfaced road that they used pea gravel to fill with and I ran rocks through the fender about 5 times in one day. I have fatblack's fender extenders now. Was worried I wouldn't like the look but after installing them I'm very pleased with em.

#35 ·
This thread has me interested in the 160 front. I read about the improvement in ride quality and smoothness you get with the wider tire up front, but how is it when ridden hard. What are the thoughts on a 160 when peg scraping or being aggressive with the throttle on twisty roads?

#36 ·
Well first off, you CAN NOT ride or push an M109R nearly as hard as you can a Sport Bike. It's simply too heavy, and most of all it's not designed for that level of aggressive riding. Of course, you can get somewhat aggressive when riding the 9, but just not to the Sport Bike extent. With that said, you can ride your 9 with the 160/60 tire on front just as hard, aggressively, and effectively as you can with the stock size 130/70 front tire. In fact, my experiences have been that the bike seems to hold and perform even better in the curves and twisties with the 160/60. Personally, I switched over to the 160/60 for the first time on my first 9 back in early 2009, and I have never gone away from it since. I've had three M109Rs and currently still have two of them. All of them were/is fitted with the 160/60 as a front tire, and I've never had any performance, quality, or tread wearing issues of any kind...and I've ridden them all quite hard at times. I can almost guarantee you'll love the ride with a 160/60 installed as your front tire.

#42 ·
#45 · (Edited)
Finally did my 160 ME 880 front swap on the stock wheel. I tried it with and with out the fender adapter. I was surprised at the clearance without the adapter but ended up installing my fender extenders anyways. Im running a low & mean fender so I'm not sure that makes a difference.

heres a few pics

Attachments

#47 ·
Well forgot to post up but I did get the 160 on after the first tire shop screwed me and sent the wrong tire... One TIME I didn't use Paypal for a purchase!

Well its on and I love it thank you to everyone who pushed me to do this! I LOVE IT!

Next is the REVO Shift indicator with dual Temp Sensors!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.