Universal joints/drive shaft

Thread: Universal joints/drive shaft

Default Universal joints/drive shaft

Has anyone had a universal joint or a drive shaft fail? I drive the crap out of my 9 and I am hearing a little clunking from time to time. (only on take off)
    Red C109 with cobra speedster slashdowns and Cobra FI 2000, Honda VTX1800 retro moded like crazy

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
    Has anyone had a universal joint or a drive shaft fail? I drive the crap out of my 9 and I am hearing a little clunking from time to time. (only on take off)
    Nearly non-existant. However, where the shaft connects to the rear diff., it is splined and should have grease on them. There were more than a few 9's that where sent from the factory with zero grease and that caused the shaft splines to fail. Basically, it starts to rust and just grinds the splines to nothing. Could be worth a look to check it out.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Nearly non-existant. However, where the shaft connects to the rear diff., it is splined and should have grease on them. There were more than a few 9's that where sent from the factory with zero grease and that caused the shaft splines to fail. Basically, it starts to rust and just grinds the splines to nothing. Could be worth a look to check it out.
    guess I better check mine too.
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C109RT: HardKrome Velocity Pro Lites 2-1 Exhaust, Tank Bib, GMan TRE,Gman Bully controller, Speedo Visor, Everything Debadged, Front fender bra, Stock risers with GMan risers, Large ISO highway pegs with floorboard mounts and coming soon front, rear fender mud flap and lots of chrome accessories. Almost forgot Cobra 1 1/2 engine bars and Cobra driving light bar. Dual exhaust coming soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

How do you get this apart to look at it?
    Red C109 with cobra speedster slashdowns and Cobra FI 2000, Honda VTX1800 retro moded like crazy

Very Active Member

How do you get this apart to look at it?
    remove the 3 acorn nuts and slide it right out. No need to drain any fluid. Where the shaft goes into the hub, there is a dust seal that you need to remove. You will end up destroying it so just get a new one. The part number for the M109 is 09283-30026, so have them check that for you.

One you have that out, you need to undo the snap ring with snap ring plyers (#5 in image). It will just slide out exposing the spring. The bottom of the shaft should have grease. Taking off and checking is about a 20-30 minute process. You can do the whole thing including putting back on the bike in an hour and change. Keep in mind, #5 is all you need to go down to so don't freak out looking at the picture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUZ-0928330026.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	63382  
    Last edited by BigpapaM109; 03-27-2012 at 02:55 PM.

BigPapa,

So I don't have to take the wheel off or anything? And there is enough play so I can just pull the drive shaft toward the motor to get it out? I drained the oil from the rear end over the weekend and the gear I could see through the fill hole looks good. If there is something wrong with the U joint will I be able to see this as well. Bike runs/pulls good just making some noise at low speed starting/stopping. May be unrelated but speedometer needle started jumping around quite a bit.

Thanks for your help!

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

I had the ticking thing going on also. Come to find out the secondary main barren was gone on my 07. Is now sitting on the work bench apart. Mine got so bad it leaked oil. That was after i hung a good 2 gear and heard crunching. Drove it home slow.

It did start out with clicking at low speeds.

[email protected]
    nestone.us
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

Very Active Member grandpatractor's Avatar

BigPapa,

So I don't have to take the wheel off or anything? And there is enough play so I can just pull the drive shaft toward the motor to get it out? I drained the oil from the rear end over the weekend and the gear I could see through the fill hole looks good. If there is something wrong with the U joint will I be able to see this as well. Bike runs/pulls good just making some noise at low speed starting/stopping. May be unrelated but speedometer needle started jumping around quite a bit.

Thanks for your help!
    The wheel will have to come off, and the axle bolt has to come out. May need to pull the speedo sensor and clean it off too. It is on the gear box at the front of the driveshaft. Look for leaking oil at that gearbox too. Might have issues there causing the speedo error.
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

Shes in the shop now. We'll see what they find.

Very Active Member

Shes in the shop now. We'll see what they find.
    Please let us know what they find. Sorry for the delay and replying, but grandpatractor answered it for me

Service manager drove the bike 3 times and heard the clunk only twice. He attributed the noise to a rear, floating brake rotor that had alot of slop in it. (rivets between inner and outer part of rotor are real loose) He said he never did see the speedometer screwing-up. He didn't feel like he needed to start tearing things apart. Brake rotor is 300 bucks plus so I'm going to ride the bike and watch it for a while. If it keeps bugging me I may tear things apart myself. I'm going to Thunder on the beach next month and I don't want the bike to leave me somewhere. May have to take my VTX.

I took the speed sensor out this afternoon and had oil coming out. Is this a bad thing?

I took the speed sensor out this afternoon and had oil coming out. Is this a bad thing?
    There should be oil in there to lube the gears.
    Did you clean off the magnet on the end of the sensor?
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

Grandpa tractor,
    No, I freaked out and put the speed sensor back in. I'll do this next weekend. BTW thanks for your intructions on how to bypass the set valve to get FI light to go off. I did this Sat and it worked great!

Finally found out what was giving me noise in the drive train on My C109. The right angle gear box between the transmission and drive shaft is tore-up. Too much clutch dumping in 1st gear I guess. Looks like I will need to replace the first gear coming off of the tranny also. I'm gonna check pricing on parts at the stealer. Looks like I'm going to have trouble getting the bolt out of the gear coming off of the tranny. Anybody got any ideas on how to get a bugered-up bolt off? Do I go left to get this bolt out? I'm glad it tore up yesterday since I am going to Thunder beach Friday. Guess I'll be riding the VTX. Oh Well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0328 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	66076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0331 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	66077

Finally found out what was giving me noise in the drive train on My C109. The right angle gear box between the transmission and drive shaft is tore-up. Too much clutch dumping in 1st gear I guess. Looks like I will need to replace the first gear coming off of the tranny also. I'm gonna check pricing on parts at the stealer. Looks like I'm going to have trouble getting the bolt out of the gear coming off of the tranny. Anybody got any ideas on how to get a bugered-up bolt off? Do I go left to get this bolt out? I'm glad it tore up yesterday since I am going to Thunder beach Friday. Guess I'll be riding the VTX. Oh Well!

Name:	IMG_0328 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	66076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0331 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	66077
    I don't see anything in the service manual about it being a different thread. You may have to try to hammer on a 6 point socket to get the bold out. Or grind the flats a bit cleaner and then try a 6 point.
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

Just to shed a little light. I had the ticking and its when your going slow and pull in the clutch and you can hear the ticking as the bike slows down. Then it gets to a point then it stops.

Days later i was getting on the bike and banged 2 is when the main barren shat the bed. The ticking was the universal touching the casing.

Its all about the motor mounts or the secondary was going anyway.

Hey i'm just a retired iron working farm boy.. What do i know. If the universal needed grease don't you think it would have a place to put grease?

Dave
    Last edited by She's real fine my 109; 04-29-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.

wow...I guess i some how missed most of this post before I posted myself. Day late dollar short. LMFAO.

Just guessing here but don't the bolt go in the same direction that the gear goes to loosen it? I would think the gear and bolt spin to tighten the bolt.

Hope that wasn't to deep.

Name:	IMG_0337 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	66254

Dogs broke off on secondary gear. If you wanna play you gotta pay!

Name:	IMG_0337 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	66254

Dogs broke off on secondary gear. If you wanna play you gotta pay!

That is roughly $600 in damages right there.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Name:  IMG_0331%20(800x600).jpg
Views: 450
Size:  7.2 KB
    Does anyone know if you have to go into the motor to change out the first, secondary gear off of the tranny? I've got the bolt out of it but, the back end of the gear is sloped and ends up against the casing with some sort of "O" ring.

Not without pulling the motor and splitting tha cases.

Sent from EVO bouncing off a couple satellites.

This is an update on this thread - I stripped everything off of the bike that I could before bringing the bike to the shop. I knew the tear down of the motor to change the gear/bearing combo was more than I wanted to attempt. The mechanic changed out the gear and bearing. I picked-up the bike and reassembled the secondary gearbox and put everything back together. The bike was missing out and running rich. I brought the bike back to the mechanic so he could evaluate the problem. After a couple of weeks he was at wits end. Luckily I posted the issues on the M109 tech board. One individual suggested we check the connection on the secondary throttle body. There are two very close together that will fit but, if connected to the wrong plug will cause the issues I was having. I told the mechanic about this and BINGO it fixed the problem. We were both very happy that the issue was resolved. This board was great help in getting my bike running. Thanks a bunch!

I picked-up the bike yesterday and she is running great. Good to have her back! I will try to keep from dumping the clutch to keep the components of the secondary gearbox intact.