Clutch Shudder and push pin mod.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Shudder and push pin mod.

Very Active Member

Default Clutch Shudder and push pin mod.

Had an issue with clutch shudder when I first got my bike back in June 2008. After putting 1300 miles on it the tube nut backed off so had to repair that. Shudder disappeared for about 8000 miles then would show up every once in a while in stop and go traffic. So fast forward to 20000 miles later and every 2nd light I stop at results in an embarrassing shudder and a Cager up my A$$ blowing the horn while I try to idle away to get rolling.

So I had been reading about the Clutch Push Piece or Pin mod and I decided to pull it out machine it flat on opposing sides and reassemble it and do nothing else. Went for a ride and the shudder has vanished. I road back and forth through town and it never did it again. I have one light that is 2 mins and 15 secs long. This one is the one that gets me every time. No problem. Even went to the park and did several 2 min idles and was able to pull away under power every time.

This is a great mod. The fun is back!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Did you take pics of how much you machined?

That is great! I am hoping to get mine torn apart this weekend again and do that too. I am also going to check the tube nut, maybe take it off and red loctite it just to make sure. Caught a cold an havn't been able to get to the bike. lol The sucky part is weather has been great! haha. I will post pics of how mine goes too. Thanks for all the info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Did this mods about 30'000 klms ago THIS IS THE ONLY MOD TO STOP CLUTCH SHUDDER !

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
    Had an issue with clutch shudder when I first got my bike back in June 2008. After putting 1300 miles on it the tube nut backed off so had to repair that. Shudder disappeared for about 8000 miles then would show up every once in a while in stop and go traffic. So fast forward to 20000 miles later and every 2nd light I stop at results in an embarrassing shudder and a Cager up my A$$ blowing the horn while I try to idle away to get rolling.

So I had been reading about the Clutch Push Piece or Pin mod and I decided to pull it out machine it flat on opposing sides and reassemble it and do nothing else. Went for a ride and the shudder has vanished. I road back and forth through town and it never did it again. I have one light that is 2 mins and 15 secs long. This one is the one that gets me every time. No problem. Even went to the park and did several 2 min idles and was able to pull away under power every time.

This is a great mod. The fun is back!!!
    How long ago did you do this mod? Keep us posted. Mine is apart right now at FutuR 's place, so it might be a good time to do this mod!

Any pics or details on what you did?

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

Very Active Member

Guys I did not take any pics I looked at stepink104's pic in this attachment and then machined a flat on the pushpin on opposing sides.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/att...4&d=1331238585

I rode 212 miles this weekend did about 60 miles of stop and go up and down the MS Gulf Coast. I got stuck behind a St.Patricks day Parade but never once had any shudder issues. What a nice ride. This mod has made me fall in love with my bike all over again.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by meba109 View Post
    Did this mods about 30'000 klms ago THIS IS THE ONLY MOD TO STOP CLUTCH SHUDDER !
    I don't know if that is a completely accurate statement. I can verify that I had clutch shudder very regularly and could certainly do it on demand with just a little extra throttle on take off. I put off changing the wave washer and (the other washer) way too long, cause as soon as I did, NO MORE SHUDDER! I have put a good 1500 miles since the replacement with no apparent shudder returning. I did not file the push pin at that time. If the shudder returns, I will. And I will report how many miles I got on just the washer replacement. But until then, the pin mod and the wave washer replacement both seem to fix the shudder issue. I have not heard any reports of the shudder returning with the wave washer replacement. If that is not correct, please enlighten.

MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

Very Active Member

[QUOTE=Robert May;1598562]Had an issue with clutch shudder when I first got my bike back in June 2008. After putting 1300 miles on it the tube nut backed off so had to repair that. Shudder disappeared for about 8000 miles then would show up every once in a while in stop and go traffic.

Robert,

You state that the shudder went away the first time for 8000 miles, and then started returning. Will you keep us posted if your shudder starts returning again?

Thanks,

MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
    Guys I did not take any pics I looked at stepink104's pic in this attachment and then machined a flat on the pushpin on opposing sides.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/att...4&d=1331238585

I rode 212 miles this weekend did about 60 miles of stop and go up and down the MS Gulf Coast. I got stuck behind a St.Patricks day Parade but never once had any shudder issues. What a nice ride. This mod has made me fall in love with my bike all over again.
    Robert,
    nice to hear it work out for you,east rider and myself did this mod and we never had another issuse ever.
    the clutch plate and wave washer no diffrence,i was going to measure it with a mic but never had the reason to.
    i have put hundreds of miles on along with Craig and no issuse yet,
    ENJOY THE RIDE........its like a new bike.

kenny
    Kenny
    THE UGLY TRUTH...................

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	291810_268302579846581_100000005239579_1196144_4482397_n.jpg 
Views:	2192 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	62779this was done on bench grinder.........
    Kenny
    THE UGLY TRUTH...................

Very Active Member

Kenny I really do appreciate the info and pic you posted. Like I said I have fell in love with my bike all over again.

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

So you used a grinder to make a flat spot on the entire length of that pin. You did this on 2 sides. Is this correct?

What was the idea behind this? How did you know it would work?
    Last edited by CanadianM109R; 03-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

Thanks guys all for this precious info

I have the gut feeling that I could be in the need to do this mod sooner or later ... this morning I had a first sign of clutch shudder upon pulling off from stand still just after switching on the bike and let the motor idle for a few minutes.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianM109R View Post
    So you used a grinder to make a flat spot on the entire length of that pin. You did this on 2 sides. Is this correct?

What was the idea behind this? How did you know it would work?
    I would also like to know.

Very Active Member DEADLYCHEEZE's Avatar

Rumor has it that it is better to put 3 flats, as opposed to 2, on the adjustment pin.

Quote Originally Posted by DEADLYCHEEZE View Post
    Rumor has it that it is better to put 3 flats, as opposed to 2, on the adjustment pin.
    3 flats = Good. Been Shudder free for two days now.
    09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

Did you guys reset the adjustment on the pin as per the manual.

CLUTCH COVER
    Loosen the lock nut 1 and turn in the release screw 2 to feel resistance.
    From that position, turn out the release screw 2 1 turn and tighten the lock nut 1 securely by holding the release screw 2.

Or did you just fit it back with same adjustment it had when you removed it.
    Last edited by Chops; 12-02-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Adjust as per the manual

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon

Thanks Steve

Hi guys ive been keen on doing this mod but, does anyone know if this mod and installing the smoother shifting pack, will work ok together? Im thinking it should be ok, but just double checking? Thanks
    140 Metz, 260 Metz, Cobra Longshots, Cobra Fi2000, K&N filters, Blocked Pair valves, HID + LED kit, 2" lowered, Derby cover, mirrors etc.. Hopefully alot more to come

Quote Originally Posted by GODRA View Post
    Hi guys ive been keen on doing this mod but, does anyone know if this mod and installing the smoother shifting pack, will work ok together? Im thinking it should be ok, but just double checking? Thanks

Your post #81 and my reply #83---already answered that for you.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...73#post1712273
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Very Active Member Torque Junkie's Avatar

Default Clutch adjustment procedure...

Quote Originally Posted by stevem109r View Post
    Adjust as per the manual

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon
    Was just at my local dealership last weekend talking to the owner about the clutch shudder issued I had been having on my C109R. Took .3mm off the pin in three areas as instructed by Listen1's posting. This leaves a flat spot approximately 1/8" wide (or slightly less) on the pin. More is not better!!! This will allow the center your clutch to become pressure fed with oil. Remove too much from the pin (like I did) and you run the risk of allowing too much oil flow to the clutch, thus possibly starving the top end. I bought a new pin and took less off before I put things back together. Anyway, the owner went and made me a copy of a service bulletin Suzuki had sent him dated 3/8/2007. It contains additional service manual information concerning clutch cable play adjustment for the VZR1800, starting by removing the secondary gear case cover, the clutch cable holder along with the clutch cable. Inspect the clutch release arm play. STD: play is 8.0mm with limit: play being 4.0mm. If this isn't correct it instructs you to drain the oil, remove the mufflers, remove the clutch cover and then adjust the pin in the center of the clutch by feeling for resistance, backing the release screw out 1 turn and tightening the locknut. Then reinstall everything!! May be something you want to consult your dealer about??

Quote Originally Posted by Torque Junkie View Post
    Anyway, the owner went and made me a copy of a service bulletin Suzuki had sent him dated 3/8/2007. It contains additional service manual information concerning clutch cable play adjustment for the VZR1800, .....May be something you want to consult your dealer about??
    Thanks Torque Junkie , that service bulletin has been posted here already in many threads
    it explains step by step the adjustment pin proper install .
    I would put a link to one of them threads but too lazy tonight , maybe later .
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

@ FutureR. Cool thanks I did t see the reply. Thanks
    140 Metz, 260 Metz, Cobra Longshots, Cobra Fi2000, K&N filters, Blocked Pair valves, HID + LED kit, 2" lowered, Derby cover, mirrors etc.. Hopefully alot more to come

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Yeah , that's the Suzuki Bulletin posted in a few threads
    , step by step pin adjustment , and then clutch lever adjustment to be done too.

LINK DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 04-01-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Default Clutch shudder

So is it best to go 2mm or 2.5 mm wide. Gonna get mine done but need to know how deep also..

Quote Originally Posted by Torque Junkie View Post
    Was just at my local dealership last weekend talking to the owner about the clutch shudder issued I had been having on my C109R. Took .3mm off the pin in three areas as instructed by Listen1's posting. This leaves a flat spot approximately 1/8" wide (or slightly less) on the pin. More is not better!!! This will allow the center your clutch to become pressure fed with oil. Remove too much from the pin (like I did) and you run the risk of allowing too much oil flow to the clutch, thus possibly starving the top end. I bought a new pin and took less off before I put things back together. Anyway, the owner went and made me a copy of a service bulletin Suzuki had sent him dated 3/8/2007. It contains additional service manual information concerning clutch cable play adjustment for the VZR1800, starting by removing the secondary gear case cover, the clutch cable holder along with the clutch cable. Inspect the clutch release arm play. STD: play is 8.0mm with limit: play being 4.0mm. If this isn't correct it instructs you to drain the oil, remove the mufflers, remove the clutch cover and then adjust the pin in the center of the clutch by feeling for resistance, backing the release screw out 1 turn and tightening the locknut. Then reinstall everything!! May be something you want to consult your dealer about??
    2007 Red M109 w/HK Velocity Pro II, PCIII, K&N filters, Stebel horn w/Rinos harness, Chrome derby cover, Chrome switch housings, chrome perches, chrome YS levers, chrome dipstick, chrome YS tach relocate, chrome calipers, chrome DU kit, chrome swingarm cover, Chrome risers, Kury grips w/Stillettos, EVO shift kit, chrome side inserts, chrome wheels, Krider lights, SD front blade turn signals, rear LED lights and more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tough View Post
    So is it best to go 2mm or 2.5 mm wide. Gonna get mine done but need to know how deep also..
    Since the pin is round, the wider you go, the deeper it will get. It just needs to be flat and 2 to 2.5 mm wide. I did mine on 3 sides at about 2mm. Now it is smooth as butter.

98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

Quote Originally Posted by bwl60 View Post
    Since the pin is round, the wider you go, the deeper it will get. It just needs to be flat and 2 to 2.5 mm wide. I did mine on 3 sides at about 2mm. Now it is smooth as butter.
    Did you do the wave washer and plates at the same time? Or did the butteryness come from the pin mod alone?
    09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

Default Clutch Shudder

I did the mod and everthing turned out fine. But I didn't adjust the clutch nut afterwards, so after I got everything back together the clutch was very tight. I had the nut on the cluthch lever adjusted out so I screwed it back flush, and have the "2 quarter" spacing that is required. My question is do I need to go back in and readjust the cluth pin screw/nut?