West Virginia riding questions

Thread: West Virginia riding questions

Banned

Default West Virginia riding questions

I usually go to western North Carolina for Vacation but got brochures for W Virginia from the NYC bike show last month and the pictures are incredible out there but I have know idea what would be the best area to stay for a week and ride.Any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The two areas that come to mind are 1) the Summersville Lake / New River Gorge Bridge area. This area is nice and only a short ride from Charleston WV. 2) The Monongahela National Forest area, Rt 33 in particular, has very nice roads. This area has Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, etc.

Hey Jersey, I got some brochures there also. Looks nice.
    You should PM "the Huff" he reps the area and should know best. Good Luck.
    FOUNDER, HALO NATION ALLIANCE

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Thanks guys!

Hit up Zoom as well.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

If you want to come through our neck of the woods, then I'd get down near where Zoom lives by Jumping on Route 50E at Winchester, VA. Ride that till 219 South. Stop at Blackwater falls you can ride 219 all the way to Elkins or you can take some other roads to Seneca Rocks then head toward Elkins. Then you can ride 250/219 south through the bottom of the state to VA and head on out from there. you really can't go wrong in those areas of the state. The only thing you run into is making sure you know where you are going so you don't get stuck out in the middle of no mans land and find out the gas station or town has shut down at 6. Like the others said, New River Gorge bridge is awesome along with the Greenbrier which you could only see from the road, unless you park outside and take the bus in. Let us know how many days you want to spend in WV or how much time you have and I'm sure Zoom and I can come up with some great riding for ya.

After all, The Dragon has 318 curves in 11 miles. West Virginia has 36,000 miles of roads and 11 straight stretches!

The state is very motorcycle friendly.

We'd be glad to have you visit. if you're riding through on a day I can ride, it would be fun to meet up and I could show you the way through my part of the state.

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan
    With Individual Freedom and Individual Salvation comes Individual Accountability. It brings a rewarding life to all. <--The Huff

Quote Originally Posted by The HUFF View Post

After all, The Dragon has 318 curves in 11 miles. West Virginia has 36,000 miles of roads and 11 straight stretches!

The state is very motorcycle friendly.

I was born and raised in Mingo County WV, in the extreme southwestern part of the state. Huff is absolutely right, the state is incredibly motorcycle friendly. The thing I miss the most about WV is being able to pull out of my house and go in ANY direction and have some of the best twisties you can find anywhere. You have to really seek them out here in NE Ohio.

Banned

Thanks Guys,I will be looking that up on Google maps.

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEY 9 View Post
    Thanks Guys,I will be looking that up on Google maps.
    Let us know which ways you choose. I will be riding through that are many times this year and if I have ridden them by the time you come through I can let you know of construction or anything else. There's a lot of Gas drilling going on in WV and the companies have been laying a lot of large pipelines.

BTW...I put 50E but it's 50 W (West) for you. Ooopps

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan
    With Individual Freedom and Individual Salvation comes Individual Accountability. It brings a rewarding life to all. <--The Huff

Banned

Thanks for the info,renting a cabin here for the second full week in June.http://www.appalachian-cabins.com/fam_cabins.htm

I usually go to western North Carolina for Vacation but got brochures for W Virginia from the NYC bike show last month and the pictures are incredible out there but I have know idea what would be the best area to stay for a week and ride.Any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Check with (THE HUFF)
    ]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GassGuzzler View Post
    Check with (THE HUFF)
    I guess you failed to read the whole thread.

Check with (THE HUFF)
    LOL doh!!!

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Check with (THE HUFF)
    Thanks for the recommend

Thanks for the info,renting a cabin here for the second full week in June.http://www.appalachian-cabins.com/fam_cabins.htm
    That's the prime riding area. I'll ask the state about the accommodations when I 'm with them at the IMS show in Charlotte this weekend.

Wow, need to look down here more often, I completely missed this.

Keep us updated when you're heading this way. We have a memorial ride for a friend of mine on the 9th but I'm open after that. Seneca Rocks is a beautiful area to stay and ride in, plenty of roads so you can do something different every day. There are a few state parks in the area and Green Bank National Radio Astronomy Observatory is not too far away and would be a good place to visit. It's hard to find a bad road to ride on in that area.

Very Active Member godservant78's Avatar

Maybe Huff, Zoom, and myself could meet you somewhere on that week or weeknd and ride for
    a day ro 2. Let us know. LIke Huff said, the possibilities are endless.
    Custom Duck Covers, Kuruakyn Pegs, Signals, Grips, Mirrors, K&N's, Corbin Seat, 160 upgrade.
    Chrome Hub, and polished wheels. Chin Spoiler, and Powder coated mesh grille

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by godservant78 View Post
    Maybe Huff, Zoom, and myself could meet you somewhere on that week or weeknd and ride for
    a day ro 2. Let us know. LIke Huff said, the possibilities are endless.

count me in if you go. someone has to show huff the good roads to ride! lmao!

Banned

CAN"T WAIT!!!!!! 1 more week and I'll be (Senaca Rocks, W.Virgnia)there!!!!

Banned

One more day.... Wahoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    LOL doh!!!
    BITE ME BOTH OF YOU
    ]

One more day.... Wahoo!
    you're leaving tomorrow? Cool. Enjoy WV.

Banned

Just got here and it is awesome here!

Looking forward to some pics.

Congrats! Welcome to Almost Heaven.

Very Active Member godservant78's Avatar

Congrats! Now that you're here you might try to google Spruce Knob, (Highest point in WV).
    You literally can see mountains in VA. And Snowshoe Ski resort. Go to the "Top of the mountain".
    It's about 7 miles from the entrance to the very top. It's fairly close to get to from where you're
    at in the state. Cass has train rides which is one mountain over from Snowshoe. Like Huff said
    Greenbank is pretty interesting too. It has one of the largest dishes in the world.
    ENJOY!!
    Custom Duck Covers, Kuruakyn Pegs, Signals, Grips, Mirrors, K&N's, Corbin Seat, 160 upgrade.
    Chrome Hub, and polished wheels. Chin Spoiler, and Powder coated mesh grille

We were over that way yesterday on the memorial ride I mentioned earlier. Watched from Seneca Rocks back to Romney for another 109 but never saw one. Hope you made it safe and are enjoying the scenery.

Our memorial ride is on Rt.50 West to Rt. 93, then north for a few miles on 42 then on 93 West again to Blackwater Falls. From there we ride through Canaan Valley to Rt. 33 and back to Seneca Rocks, then return home. It's about 220 mile round trip. Some nice riding around the Canaan Valley area, all you do to get there is go 33 West to Harman then ride 32 North. You can make a loop of it.