M109 Rider Forums banner

Handlebar Risers

24K views 76 replies 13 participants last post by  TheRealMoleman 
#1 ·
What is the size of the stock bolt that is used with the stock risers?

#3 ·
Thanks. Yea, I've got the gman units too. I didn't have a bit of trouble getting my stock ones out. I'm thinking about getting some longer ones, maybe 2-4 inch ones. I'm not sure yet.

#5 ·
That's what she said......:bigthumbsup:.....:a20:

#7 ·
I put the g-man extenders on as soon as I could.
I don't know what the Suzuki assembler was thinking with all the loc tite on those bolt! It would have been easier to get them off if they would have just spot welded them!
But hey ... I've got two more inches now.
GMan's website says that their risers move the bars 1.5 inches, but I need at least another inch to be really comfortable. I can ride about 2-3hrs before I need to stop for a back and leg break.

#9 ·
HD risers

This is a older post of mine, I had these riser from a C50 project that never got off the ground. They will work on the C109 and will fit our standard 1 inch bar with no problems, the good is, it's sets the bars as far back as you can go with the "C" the bad is its VERY close to the tank with the bars turned all the way to the right, no problems with the bars going left. Mine have never hit and my bike handles just as good as it did with the OEM risers.

Hope this helps

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141678&highlight=risers

#10 ·
This is a older post of mine, I had these riser from a C50 project that never got off the ground. They will work on the C109 and will fit our standard 1 inch bar with no problems, the good is, it's sets the bars as far back as you can go with the "C" the bad is its VERY close to the tank with the bars turned all the way to the right, no problems with the bars going left. Mine have never hit and my bike handles just as good as it did with the OEM risers.

Hope this helps

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141678&highlight=risers
Your's look like the 6" risers. I'm gonna go with 3" or 4" at the most. The GMan ones are approx. 1 1/2". If the 3" or 4" are to long, I can always re-install the GMan ones.

#11 ·
Mine are the 6 inch risers, you are correct! I have the bars almost in my lap so I sit completely straight up when riding:D and I'm 5'8
The C109 is a big bike but once you start to learn it it's a great bike to ride. I couldn't see me ever going back to my C50 or M95.

#12 ·
I'm 6', so I only need about another inch or so. 6 inch risers would be to much for me.

#20 ·
I've drug the pegs on the floor boards doing 20-25mph on a 90, bike was plenty stable in the lean but since it was the first time on this bike, it scare the :edit: out of me...now when it happens, I know to lift my foot a little and let it drag :p

I'm sad to say, I've had my bike on it's side 3 times, no damage except some scratches on one mirror, but 2 out of the 3 resulted in the floor board being jammed up good and tight. The Cobra Fatties look as though they will still alow the boards to push up a little, but not go so far as to jam. Plus, I think the bike would be easier to pickup from the height rather than off the floor board support.

Ordering mine (along with some GMan goodies) once the divorce is worked out and I have full control over my bank account.

#23 ·
#25 ·
8 inch would be way more than I need. I only need about another inch to 1 1/2 inch for a total of 3 inches.

#27 ·
Then you need the Handle Bar Riser Extenders I have been making for several years. Adds almost 2" and retains the stock risers and bars and no wiring or brake hose mods needed.

#26 ·
Actually I need mine to just come back about an inch or so. I don't want them just to go straight up.

#33 ·
#35 ·
we don't do cm over here......LOL!!!!

#36 ·
I don't really need taller risers, I just need some pullback risers to bring my bars back about an inch or two.

#37 ·
Ordered my riser from GMan yesterday, can't wait to see if it relieves some of the stress on my back!

#38 ·
I'm already running the GMan riser. I don't need mine to be any taller, I just need them to come back about another 1-2 inches. My GMan riser + my stock risers equals 6 inches.

#39 ·
I ended up rotating my bars down after I installed gman's risers and it gave me a little more pullback. At first I dropped them as low as I could without hitting the tank, but it was too much. I lifted them slightly and have been happy with the result. That, with my backrest and some highway pegs, and I have an easy chair on 2 wheels.

#40 ·
Just oredred the G Man 1 1/2 inch risers for my C109. I assume the longer bolts are coming with the order, but the website doesn't seem to say this, or am I missing something.

???

#41 ·
Longer bolts are included.

#48 ·
New to forum

Hi all,

I just ordered the GMan riser last night, hoping to get it installed this weekend providing the USPS delivers in time.

I have a 2008 C109R I bought brand new last spring (yes, four years on the showroom floor). I've added a Corbin seat and driver's backrest as well as Corbin hard bags. I'll post a pic later. Also have a Memphis Shades windscreen.

Anyone interested in a Cobra passenger sissybar backrest? It won't work with the Corbin bags.

#49 ·
They had better be worth this

The risers arrived a couple of weeks ago and look good. My troubles started when I tried to remove the handlebar bolts, they would not move regardless of what I did. I eventually gave up and took them to the shop that does my servicing thinking that with the right tools it was a ½ hour job; $50, I could live with that.
Oh, no, they snap the bolt heads off and after some discussion (not always friendly) they agree to replace the bike's stock risers as the old ones are now useless, having bolts stuck in them. Now Suzuki, Australia is taking 2 weeks to provide the replacement parts. A ½ simple job, 2 bolts out 2 more in and my bike is off the road for at least 2 weeks.
Other C109 owners in Oz be warned the handle bar bolts are in to stay.

#50 ·
The risers arrived a couple of weeks ago and look good. My troubles started when I tried to remove the handlebar bolts, they would not move regardless of what I did. I eventually gave up and took them to the shop that does my servicing thinking that with the right tools it was a ½ hour job; $50, I could live with that.
Oh, no, they snap the bolt heads off and after some discussion (not always friendly) they agree to replace the bike's stock risers as the old ones are now useless, having bolts stuck in them. Now Suzuki, Australia is taking 2 weeks to provide the replacement parts. A ½ simple job, 2 bolts out 2 more in and my bike is off the road for at least 2 weeks.
Other C109 owners in Oz be warned the handle bar bolts are in to stay.
Sorry to hear about the problems you en****ered. I have heard of a few with similar issues due to the locktite and overtightening that Suzuki may have done on some of the riser bolts, but that has not been the 'norm' for the majority as there are well over 100 out there with experiences resembling the planned simpler version you were going for. I know one rider was unscrewing is the wrong way because the bolts are upside down and he got confused, but even at that it took a breaker bar to twist the large bolt off. Mine and many others were installed without issue, but I kow that doesn't help your experience and for that I am very sorry.

#52 ·
I soaked mine in PB blaster before trying to break them lose. After
a good soaking then I had no problems breaking them loose.

#53 ·
Install issues - not a GMan problem

I put mine in two weekends ago. I had to go buy a breaker bar and a 17mm socket. I was curious as to the level of genious behind engineering the triple tree so tightly that you cannot simply pull the socket off the bolt head and take another swipe. Instead, I had to remove the socket from the breaker bar for every turn I could manage in such a tight space. I guess I should have bought the ratcheting breaker bar... Lesson learned.

I, too, had issues with the amount of Lock Tite used by the assembler, but at least I did not break a bolt head. I did manage to cross thread about a quarter inch of the right riser, so will have to replace it before any lengthy rides this year.

#54 ·
I just talked to the shop foreman at the dealership, I'm having a bunch of work done (major tune up + tires + accident repairs), he's going to throw mine on free of charge :p

I don't really want to buy more shop tools until I move back into a house with a garage.

#55 ·
At Last

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

At last my risers are on the bike and they make the seating position much better. Thats my iPod in the middle, I am getting ready for a bit of a ride and am trying some noise through the bluetooth on the helmet to see if I like it.
8)

Attachments

#56 ·
View attachment 81214
At last my risers are on the bike and they make the seating position much better. Thats my iPod in the middle, I am getting ready for a bit of a ride and am trying some noise through the bluetooth on the helmet to see if I like it.
8)
Are those the new, taller risers from GMan? The stock risers are 4", so I'm going to replace them with a 3" or 4" set with a 1 1/2" pullback.

#59 ·
Finally got mine installed, makes the bars a bit higher than I was expecting, but now I sit back and can feel the back of the seat rather than leaning forward, so I'm sure I will get used to it!

#60 ·
You can always rotate the bars down if they are uncomfortable. I dropped mine an inch or so.

#61 ·
Ok, I got two different answers. Are the stock riser bolts M10 or M12??

#62 · (Edited)
Are the handlebar riser bolts an M10 or M12?? I've received 2 different answers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.