M109 Rider Forums banner

Handlebar Risers

24K views 76 replies 13 participants last post by  TheRealMoleman 
#1 ·
What is the size of the stock bolt that is used with the stock risers?

#66 ·
Since my stock risers and handlebars have the little grooves in them, will the smooth Drag Specialties or Baron Custom Accessories aftermarket handlebar risers still work?

#67 · (Edited)
basically the reason that most after market risers use the 1/2 inch 13 thread bolt , becuse there is more money to be made in the masses of those bikes then trying to do a single metric style unit Baron makes a very nice looking unit but it is very costly and not better and geting you any closer to your bars then you have now . about as far as i can try to figure the stock riser " called handle bar holder by the manual " has a rise of about 3 and 1/3 of an inch . with you having g mans extensions you should be at 5 and third . Now keep in mind since the bars went up and they are mounted on a raked tee facing you as it went up the extra 2 inches they also did come back some to you at the same time , probaly a little less then 1/2 an inch . but that extra height also gives you more room to try to rotate the bar up or down for more comfort . that can help get the bars closer or a little farther away . I am only about 5'10" and with spinal deterioration setting in very badly that extra inch can mean a lot when out for 500-700 mile ride .

and i can not say for sure give me a week or so i can confirm but i believe its a m 10 . and if you look at the pics in the manual there is a sleve in the tree with that bolt , it shows it in the illustration but makes no comment as to a name or anything else about it.

and yes to the best of my knowledge you can use a clamp style that is smooth on the inside with the textured grip on the handle bars , i have seen some that use a sleeve to change sizes but I would NOT recomend trying any of those

#68 ·
basically the reason that most after market risers use the 1/2 inch 13 thread bolt , becuse there is more money to be made in the masses of those bikes then trying to do a single metric style unit Baron makes a very nice looking unit but it is very costly and not better and geting you any closer to your bars then you have now . about as far as i can try to figure the stock riser " called handle bar holder by the manual " has a rise of about 3 and 1/3 of an inch . with you having g mans extensions you should be at 5 and third . Now keep in mind since the bars went up and they are mounted on a raked tee facing you as it went up the extra 2 inches they also did come back some to you at the same time , probaly a little less then 1/2 an inch . but that extra height also gives you more room to try to rotate the bar up or down for more comfort . that can help get the bars closer or a little farther away . I am only about 5'10" and with spinal deterioration setting in very badly that extra inch can mean a lot when out for 500-700 mile ride .

and i can not say for sure give me a week or so i can confirm but i believe its a m 10 . and if you look at the pics in the manual there is a sleve in the tree with that bolt , it shows it in the illustration but makes no comment as to a name or anything else about it.

and yes to the best of my knowledge you can use a clamp style that is smooth on the inside with the textured grip on the handle bars , i have seen some that use a sleeve to change sizes but I would NOT recomend trying any of those
Actually, the stock bolts are 12MM. I have several different lengths of 1/2" bolts. However, I'm going to try the ones that came with my new risers. I have the 4" rise with 1 1/2" kickback risers. They actually bring the bars closer to me than the stock risers and GMan riser did. According to the instructions the new studs are 1/2" on one end and 12MM on the other end with a 14MM shoulder to fit the hole in the upper triple tree plate. I'm going to work on the later today. I'll get pictures, if I can get them mounted correctly.

#69 ·
handlebar riser bolt problem solved. They are nice and tight now. I'll get pics tomorrow. I'm
taking them for a test ride Sunday and then I'll know if I need a small extension or not.

#70 ·
Risers are fully installed and torqued down. It doesn't look like I'll need a 1 inch extension afterall. I'll see how they feel tomorrow.
Here's some pics: They'll look better washed.

#74 ·
Is there something I can do to these risers, so they don't flex forwards and backwards? They're fine from side to side.

#71 ·
Let me know how they work. When I tried similar style several years ago they felt very unstable. I could move the bars and the front tire stayed straight, worse yet the front tire moved and the bars didn't.
Admittedly I was in some high speed twisties in the low triples when this happened. I don;t like the small contact patch of the risers on top of the triple tree, but maybe it's just me and an isolated experience.

#73 ·
My risers work real good. There's a slight movement from front to back, but none side to side. They bring the bars back enough, so that I'm sitting up straight and able to utilize my backrest better.

#72 ·
I didn't get far. I went to top off the tank and my battery died However, the risers work pretty good. There's a little movement front to back, but none side to side. The best part is that the bars come back into a much more comfortable position for me.

#75 ·
The reason for the fore n aft moment in the bars is most likely due to the "sleeve " that passes through the uper tee . Thats i cased 8n rubber .It is slightly longer then the thickness of the uper. And your replaced riser is siting on it . Not being directly on so you can try to grind down the sleeve that the riser bolts pass through ( good luck doing that without causing damage ) .. or you could do what I did . I put a large stainless washer under my riser with a hole wider then the sleeve . I have just a very small amount of play in mine but it's due to the rubber of the sleeve .

#76 ·
I'll try some bigger washers then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.