M109 Rider Forums banner

Sticky Shifter

12K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  sssportsmfg 
#1 ·
A while back I started having issues with the shifter sticking and not allowing me to downshift past 3rd gear. The solution is to nudge it up (not too much or it shifts back up) and then it will go down one gear, reapeat to get to first. This is dangerous and annoying on sharp corners followed by steep hills (like near here) where I've slowed for the corner but can't downshift to 2nd and can't let the clutch all the way out while in third or it'll stall.

I've noticed this happens more frequently at colder tempuratures, it's currently 40°F here. The bike had been running for over 45 minutes in stop and go traffic to get here, so the oil should have been warm regardless of outside temp.

Before I take it to the stealer, anyone got any suggestions or possible causes?

#5 ·
Had the same problem with a different bike I had an on my 9. the linkage and where the shifter ride get dirty and need to be cleaned. The linkage has rubber boots on the joints but it still gets dirty in there. I tryed electrical cleaner because it dries fast and lubed it with graphite dry lubricant this time to see if it stays a little cleaner. I am in souther New Mexico and it is dusty here, so the problem is worse. I had to do this last weekend.

#6 ·
Mine was sticking when down shifting. I already had replaced the shift star and shift bushing. Prior to it sticking. I disassembled (after removing the oil,hint) and re-assembled. Shifts like butter now. Didn't really see anything out of whack, the shift arm where it pushes onto shift star assembly? Thought it was shift bushing at first, removed and greased. Not so much. Maybe something is off on linkage arm.

#7 ·
Simply taking it apart and puting it back together solved the problem for you?

#8 ·
Lube the shaft the lever rides on and where the boot is. It will shift like butter. When i change my oil i drop some of the synthetic oil on them.

Dave[SUB][/SUB]

#9 · (Edited)
LUBRICATION

Mine had the same problem. I have a 2010 c109rt with 36000km on the clock already so I've come across this one as well. First up remove the foot plate and gear change linkages from the tranny. remove the bolt that the changer rotates on. Lube this bolt with a film of water proof grease or better yet silicone spray. Now peel back the rubber boots on the linkages and spray with wd40 (posum piss we calit over here). Reassemble back on bike and bobs your uncle. I repeat this probably ever 6 months and give it a quick squirt of possum pee after every wash. Hope this helps. mine has never stuck since.:bigthumbsup:

#10 ·
Yesterday, the shifting got worse so that either up or down the shifter would stick. Got busy with some late work and feeding the kids, forgot to go look at it! This morning, I was in a hurry, so I sprayed WD40 on the pivot point of the shift and then over the top of the black cover (below the chrome ones) where you can see the linkage move. Amazingly enough, problem gone. If it's fine for the ride home today, I won't take it apart tomorrow and do a thorough job (too lazy), but as soon as I start having issues again, the covers are coming off for a thorough cleaning and relubing.

Thanks for all the input, I was afraid it might be a larger problem (such as damage spring or some such) that was going to cost me to repair. A squirt of WD40 is basically free.

#11 ·
You are inmy back yard, or me in yours.
Try this: http://www.gmanindustries.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=683&idcategory=48
Replaces that steel greased shifter bushing that comes with the bike and puts an oil lite bronze bushing that is milled to closer specs as it;s oil impregnated and never uses grease.
Shifting will be smooth and crisp for years to come.
Your existing greased bushing gathers dirt due to it;s location and should be greased often. If my GBushing ever sticks just use a drop or two of 30w engine oil and ride.

#20 ·
You guys saved my ass again!

Just gave her a squirt of both and seems ok without a ride. Shifter didn't want to return after downshifts, smootlhed right up after a squirt. Was all uptight after getting home, just went on SS 2 months ago and can't afford that kind of repair. Also went to my first full synthetic oil change and thought it might be internal or a spring somewhere fell off. Major relief.

#17 ·
Had this happen, washed bike Wednesday, left Sunday morning for a ride and had issues changing up, then couldnt change down without pushing lever back to center position.
I pulled up and used a few drops of engine oil from the dip stick on the gear lever pivot and rocked it up and down a few, it seemed to move better and was perfect all day 400km +

#21 ·
I got the oil impregnated brass bush from Gman, and it works a treat! I've had it on there for a few months now, and hasn't missed a beat. It's also helped with my gear changing too, as the stock one seems looser. This one is tight, so no more clunking into gear either. Awesomesauce!

#22 ·
It could be the the foot shifter return spring located under the cover where the shift star is located. We're just had a member here go through this trying to track down the same type of problem and once we were able to narrow down the problem he went in And found that the very hefty return spring was broken in 2 pieces, so it is worth the look if the problem persist!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.