pipes dragging

Thread: pipes dragging

Default pipes dragging

Put a set of HK 3inch Drag pros on my 08 109 and the look and sound are great and they are substantially lighter than stock. The problem is I drag them fairly easily in right hand corners. I adjusted my shock up to 6 which helped a little. The dragging is serious enough it makes you a little hesitant in right handers. So I am considering going back to stock or a different pipe with better clearance. I like the looks of the shortened stockers but don't have the tools or the skills to do it. Is there anyone doing this for hire? Any suggestions about pipes with better ground clearance much appreciated. BTW I live in NW Arkansas and riding the curves is everyday.
    Thanks,Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Pm ICEBOX. He lives in the Dallas area. He has done this a few times. Very talented and nice guy.

Im with you upsmike. I'd like the Scorpio tips but don't have the means to cut the stockers and weld the tips.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Pipe,pegs ,tires,brakes are expendable to me on this bike. Mine is lowered so that doesnt help. I learned to lower my center of gravity with my body weight around corners. Nothing drastic like GP riders but learned this stands the bike up straighter with less lean angle thus helping with dragging my pipes. I don't care about the pegs. But the pipes hit my wallet every time they grind.

Default pipes dragging

I'm with you about certain parts being expendable. The problem for me is I have dragged pretty hard,almost to the point I felt like it would push me back up a little. Not a good thing! As I have looked at various exhausts most of them hang lower than factory. I wouldn't mind finding some Roadhouse slip ons for the factory head pipes. I have seen some HK Vortaxx pipes that have a better clearance it appears. Not sure I am crazy about the looks. Still considering options. All info appreciated!

Thanks,Mike

A lot of people I see on cruisers take agressive turns while keeping their torso upright and pushing the handle bar down towards the ground. This will lean the bike over further then what is needed to take the turn, often times scraping things. By "leaning" off the bike in the direction of the turn you can make the turn at the same speed, with much less lean which is a much better situation to be it.

I am sure you are still limited by the exhaust being too low, but its something to think about.

upsmike, see if you can adjust them up a little. The Cobra Speedster Longs I have on mine are similar to what you have, and I was able to move them up. Not much at the front since they go under the engine case, but the rear moved up probably two inches. I loosened all the clamps and pulled them up as far as they would go, then retightened the clamps. The pipe that runs under the engine, I swung it out a little so it would move up. I'm lowered about 2.5" and if you look at my sig pics, you can see it actually angles up a little at the rear.

I bought these as an open box and the mount was missing, so I made one that mounted it at the higher height. You may need to modify your mount if you try that.

And on mine the mufflers are joined together with a crossover, which means as I raised the system up the lower pipe moved out of the muffler a little. That was actually my limiting factor, as I left it in the muffler just enough to get a good clamp on it. I can still drag the tips if I lean it enough, but it's over a long ways when that happens and the pegs are already dragging hard.

Default exhaust

Thanks for the replies,good stuff! I am thinking about getting the stock exhaust shortened. I like the look and geets my ground clearance. I will pm Icebox about this.

Thanks,Mike

Slide half your butt off the seat and lean to the inside of the turn. This will hold your bike up more in the turns. Don't counter steer either.

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan
    With Individual Freedom and Individual Salvation comes Individual Accountability. It brings a rewarding life to all. <--The Huff

Quote Originally Posted by uspmike View Post
    Thanks for the replies,good stuff! I am thinking about getting the stock exhaust shortened. I like the look and geets my ground clearance. I will pm Icebox about this.

Thanks,Mike

. Be glad to take care of it for you