I'm really thinking about a Hammer

Thread: I'm really thinking about a Hammer

Very Active Member

Default I'm really thinking about a Hammer

I love the 109, in fact, it's been my favorite bike out of all the bikes I've ever owned, and that's been quite a few. I'm just the type of person who keeps a bike for a while then moves on to something else. I'd like to stay with something that has similar styling and performance to the 9 and the one bike I think fills that bill is the Hammer. It's not quite at the same performance level as the 9, but I don't ride fast that much anymore anyway, and Victorys are absolutely beautifully built bikes. They have the nicest fit and finish of any of the makes I've ever seen.

My problem is two fold; finding the specific model I want, and I will have to sell the 9 BEFORE I can get a Hammer. The only Hammers I like are the '05-'07 premiums, and I'm finding out they aren't easy to find. The vast majority of used Hammers I find don't have the premium package. This may mean I might have to go without a bike altogether from the time I sell the 9 until I can find the Hammer I want. THAT IS GONNA SUCK!

I haven't made up my mind for sure yet, but I'm certainly leaning this way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Smile

Hey bro I just looked at some of those bikes and they are nice, but my personal opinion I think it would be sort of a down grade a bit. Even if youare just cruising around. Its a smaller bike, less horses, now don't get me wrong I'm not downing the victory it really is a gorgeous bike. But I wouldn't sell a 9 for a 5. But make it your own and I think it will be a heck of a bike. But most importantly you will loose the greatest thing about the 9 and that is this"forum". Well hope it all works out for you, peace!

Default yeah, yeah, yeah

I know you've been hankering for a Victory for years, but I don't see any action. Either shoot, sh**, or get off the pot!
    They are beautiful bikes.
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default 2009 Canadian Bike

I saw this bike last week, looks brand new.
    http://amsalesmotorcycles.autotrader.ca/index.htm

Check it out!
    Druz9

New Members Welcome
    www.gasdawg.ca

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000DUDE View Post
    I know you've been hankering for a Victory for years, but I don't see any action. Either shoot, sh**, or get off the pot!
    They are beautiful bikes.
    The part that keeps me from pulling the trigger is selling the 9 and then having to be without a bike completely until I find the Hammer I want. That is going to kill me!

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    The part that keeps me from pulling the trigger is selling the 9 and then having to be without a bike completely until I find the Hammer I want. That is going to kill me!
    . I have never owned a Hammer. However, I work with a guy who had a Hammer, and all he ever talked about was trying to sell it so he could have the money to buy an M109R. It seems to be taking a step backwards in my opinion. Whatever your decision...ultimately you are the only one who has to live with it.

Good luck on your decision.

BCRUZN

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCRUZN View Post
    . I have never owned a Hammer. However, I work with a guy who had a Hammer, and all he ever talked about was trying to sell it so he could have the money to buy an M109R. It seems to be taking a step backwards in my opinion. Whatever your decision...ultimately you are the only one who has to live with it.

Good luck on your decision.

BCRUZN
    I guess it depends on what you want in a bike. If you want the better performing bike, then the 9 would be the choice. If you're looking for outstanding fit, finish, and build quality, the the Vic is a better choice. I've ridden a Hammer and it certainly performs well enough to suit my needs. I don't think I'd have any regrets making the switch...

see if you can find a victory forum and offer a trade, I dont know much about them but they do look nice with lines much like the 9 but probably a step down in performance

if it is in fact a step down maybe a Hammer owner would like a step up in the form of a trade ?

no down time from riding and you get what you want

how close are they in value ?

good luck grampi

Very Active Member

How about a Yamaha Star Raider? More torque than the nine... and most definitely better fit and finish... not to mention build quality. The only thing the nine has on it is looks, and top end.

Potentially earn THOUSANDS, exit the rat race, lose weight, get fit, drive a new BMW. Change your life!!!
    http://www.challengeyourpotential.com

Very Active Member Screamnyellozonker's Avatar

I raced a Modded 100 inch Vic a couple of months back and he did pretty good. Said he had done a lot to the inside, stroker/cams/ pistons and to the tune/pipes/injection.He was about a 1/2 second behind me in the 1/8. Grampi a buddy of mine has a Cory Ness model he is thinking of selling if that is what your looking for. I can get pictures if you want.
    John3:16 PGR Rider.
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty
    PC-V with Auto tune and quickshifter, Factory Pro shift star, Edelbrocks. 162 Hp 142 torque with the bottle.

Default victorys

test drove a few Nice ride for the most part. having same issues as the 9's do from what i read on the forums. Guy at work had 1 for a year. then went back to a H-D street glide. said the Victory was nice around town but for long rides just didnt do it. But like I say To each is own. GL with what ever you ride.

They have the nicest fit and finish of any of the makes I've ever seen.
    Look harder, not a fan of the fit and finish on the victorys. Good looking bikes tho. Good luck
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

Your making the wrong choice :-)

You should go for something more exciting. How about a triumph rocket or the new 1700cc thunderbird I think it's called. There's also the new vmax. There's also the raider and maybe you should check out that nice new 6cyl BMW.

Just some food for thought
    Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black
    Current Bikes: 2007 Yamaha MT-01 & 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

I guess it depends on what you want in a bike. If you want the better performing bike, then the 9 would be the choice. If you're looking for outstanding fit, finish, and build quality, the the Vic is a better choice. I've ridden a Hammer and it certainly performs well enough to suit my needs. I don't think I'd have any regrets making the switch...
    A guy near me has the hammer and it is a good looking bike-Do what makes you happy

I could have sworn that I've seen your reviews of them where you talk about how they don't have the power of the 9, etc. It seemed to me that you liked the 109 better .

HD ETR

Very Active Member SeannesM109R's Avatar

Keep the 9, do some mods or a complete make over and do it right!
    then you have the same 9 but different!
    Just a few more mods required....! Lol

Very Active Member italianrider's Avatar

My brother in law has on all costumed out and the thing rides very nice, he even put diesel gas in it once and rode it for a few miles and nothing ever went wrong with it, lol
    There a well built bike with a good transmission and motor.
    Ill post a pic sometime.
    By far the best hand in poker

I was so close to buying a Victory Hammer in 2008; and then I saw the R2 and fell in love, made the purchase. I was still debating if I had made the right choice - I really loved the look of the Hammer, and it was a nice ride. I bought my bike in August '08, and had the pleasure of parking right next to a Hammer at the Rattle the Runway ride the next month. Let me tell you - I knew right then that I had made the right choice. Performance aside, the 9 killed the Hammer in looks. The 9 just said "I'm a bad muthashutyourmouth, and stay out of my way". The Hammer...it agreed with what the 9 said.
    2008 M109R2 | Black |

dont forget to get some nails too.....

There's an old saying: "no matter how hot a woman is, somewhere there is a man who is sick of her *****". It's the same with bikes. Sometimes, after a while, you just need something different.

This is what I was thinking of buying before I found my 9
    But the fact it has an air cooled smaller engine, 12 grand dearer price tag, not to mention the lack of praise it got in any un-biased reviews, the choice was made simple for me

Looks pretty sweet though, dunnit
    Last edited by Chops; 10-22-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Very Active Member SeannesM109R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post

This is what I was thinking of buying before I found my 9
    But the fact it has an air cooled smaller engine, 12 grand dearer price tag, not to mention the lack of praise it got in any un-biased reviews, the choice was made simple for me

Looks pretty sweet though, dunnit
    I suppose it's ok, but i agree with what Diggy33 has said!

"The 9 killed the Hammer in looks. The 9 just said "I'm a bad muthashutyourmouth, and stay out of my way". The Hammer...it agreed with what the 9 said."

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy33 View Post
    I was so close to buying a Victory Hammer in 2008; and then I saw the R2 and fell in love, made the purchase. I was still debating if I had made the right choice - I really loved the look of the Hammer, and it was a nice ride. I bought my bike in August '08, and had the pleasure of parking right next to a Hammer at the Rattle the Runway ride the next month. Let me tell you - I knew right then that I had made the right choice. Performance aside, the 9 killed the Hammer in looks. The 9 just said "I'm a bad muthashutyourmouth, and stay out of my way". The Hammer...it agreed with what the 9 said.
    Just a few more mods required....! Lol

Default Hammer

Got a buddy qho bought an 08 that was a leftover from Meis Outland and got a good deal on it. Nice looking bike with good fit and finish on the exhaust side of the bike. On the kickstand side not so much,exposed wiring and unfinished parts are numerous. It is the 100 inch engine and a 6 speed overdrive trans and runs smoothly with decent power but not impressive after the 109. The 106 inch engine is supposed to be an improvemnent. It has much better ground clearance than the 109 and seems to handle well. We rode 1200 miles in the Smokies and he said it was great. The Hammer has the same size tires as the 109. Overall a nice bike with a pretty stiff price tag.
    Thanks,Mike

Very Active Member

jimmy450r

That's a good idea. Used Hammers usually go for a few grand more than comparable year 9s.

Slick 109r

I can't deal with the look of the Raider.

Screamnyellowzonker

If your buddy's Hammer is an '05-'07 premium model in black, or Indy red, then yes I'm interested.

Bosox

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but ALL of the Vics I've seen look almost like they're hand built, the fit and finish is that good.

RicoChet

The Triumphs are ugly, and so is the Raider. I would probably love a V-Max, but I'd either kill myself, or lose my license if I had something with that much power.

BobbyMac

I did test ride one and I did say that, but like I said, things change and so do people. I really don't need all the performance the 9 offers as I don't use it much anymore. About the only time I really get on the 9 is either when I want to embarrass a Harley rider, or I get the occasional wild hair up my butt. Most of the time I'm just putting around enjoying the scenery.

Diggy33

Looks are very subjective. I definitely think the 9 is one of the nicest looking bikes ever made, but to me the fit and finish of a bike (or any vehicle for that matter) are a big part of the looks, and the Hammer has that all over the 9. You're right though about the 9 being more bad-ass looking. Nothing is more bad-ass looking than a 9.

uspmike

I've ridden both the 100 and the 106 (both were piped and had aftermarket fuel managers) and I really didn't feel a difference. The big difference between these two is the 100 is an open loop system, whereas the 106 is closed loop. This means the 100 (which is what I'm looking for) is a much better choice if you plan to do any mods. The closed loop system doesn't take kindly to mods.

I'm with you on the Change thing. I seem to keep a bike a year or two and then want to change. One bike can't do verything you want all the time. Good luck with the bike hunt.Polaris is doing a good job with this Victory line.

The Hammer is a cool bike if I didn't have the 9. I think I would have a Hammer.

Cycle World had an article in 06 on the Hammer, M109 and the Vrod. The Hammer was not even close. If you want performance then it isn't the Hammer. The M beat the Rod in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but rod bested the M on top speed by one MPH.

If your choice is not based on performance then the Hammer is a wonderful bike. It looks great.

Doc

Very Active Member Screamnyellozonker's Avatar

I'll check with my buddy. It has the air ride on it and i only saw it once so I don't remember the color. I will also ask him if he is interested in a possible 9 in trade. I usually see him on mondays at the VA.
    Bob
    John3:16 PGR Rider.
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty
    PC-V with Auto tune and quickshifter, Factory Pro shift star, Edelbrocks. 162 Hp 142 torque with the bottle.

Default Hammer

Better check on the open/closed loop issue. My buddys 08 Hammer premium has 02 sensors which I believe is a closed loop system. It is a 100 Inch engine

The dealer I bought my 109 from tried to sell me this bike before I told him I was only interested in a M109r or a M90.

http://www.ridenowcraig.com/new_gall...42&pov=2259286
    De-Badged, Smoke LED Taillight, De-Beavered, Big Air Mod, TRE, Targa Aluminum License Plate bracket, HardKrome 2in1 Sideburner Exhaust, Cobra PowerPro, Gen3 Nightrider, Fullcut Gel seat, 2"lowering bones.