whats the best front tire

Thread: whats the best front tire

Default whats the best front tire

looking to change my front to the biggest front tire i can possibly put on and still be safe im looking at a 160/60/r18 is this what i should be looking at and whats the best brand for that size

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

I put on a 150/60R18 and it's a true front tire. I would highly recommend putting a front tire on and refrain from putting on a "reversed rotation" rear tire if you plan on riding in the rain. The tread pattern will collect water under your tire patch if you reverse the tire. I would rather sacrifice the 1cm width for the safety of a front tire. Just my two cents. Other will argue against my point, but you asked for my preference.

From what I remember most that run a 160 are using a Metzler, I stayed with the stock size and went with a Metz and love the added traction/performance over the factory Duny.
    Remember it is recommended to run the 160 reverse of the arrow on the tire.
    Truly an enigma wrapped inside a puzzle and placed inside a maze while eating bacon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

i really like the AVON tires. 150 front 250 rear

I've run both the Avon Storm 160/60 and the Metzeler Marathon ME880 160/60. Both have excellent grip and performance, but the Avon seems to last longer. I took the MEtzeler off at 14,000 miles with 4/32 left on it (Gave it to my Dad as a spare rear tire for his HD). I have the Avon Storm on right now it with 13,xxx miles and it looks like it's brand new.

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post

I put on a 150/60R18 and it's a true front tire. I would highly recommend putting a front tire on and refrain from putting on a "reversed rotation" rear tire if you plan on riding in the rain. The tread pattern will collect water under your tire patch if you reverse the tire. I would rather sacrifice the 1cm width for the safety of a front tire. Just my two cents. Other will argue against my point, but you asked for my preference.
    Nope, BS. Does not collect water, does not promote hydroplaneing, does not cause a safety issue what-so-ever, in fact, hugs the road great in the wet. Metzler 160 up front reversed! Try it, you'll like it.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Default thanks for the info

thanks for your imput im not real sure about whats the best tire out there thats why i have consulted the experts of this forum

First the Question would be... what size are you asking about....

Secondly....I agree with The Chief on the metzler... the pattern actually matches the rear when reversed up front. The Avon I would agree with Munster cause the Avon tread is designed with a directional pattern and I believe it would push the water to the center if reversed. (AVON STORM II..that is) So when I mounted it I did not reverse it. I know this was contrary to what I had planned but I just road on it 5,500 miles in 2 weeks and did not have a problem. I've owned both.

Thirdly, if you ask me which is better Avon or Metz....that's a toughy...I'm leaning 45% Avon to 55% Metzler right now... but that has more to do with cornering performance issues than it does longevity....

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan
    With Individual Freedom and Individual Salvation comes Individual Accountability. It brings a rewarding life to all. <--The Huff

I'm using the 160 Avon as well. All dry miles so far. I don't do fast corners so my tire really grips good going straight

If you look closely at a Metzeler rear tread pattern, it is opposite of a Metzeler front tire. So when you reverse it, the tread pattern looks the same as a Metzeler front tire.

kawzx7

Quote Originally Posted by antmor69 View Post
    If you look closely at a Metzeler rear tread pattern, it is opposite of a Metzeler front tire. So when you reverse it, the tread pattern looks the same as a Metzeler front tire.
    Como what? You're not going against the directional arrow?

Quote Originally Posted by kawzx7 View Post
    Como what? You're not going against the directional arrow?
    When you go against the directional arrow with a Metzeler rear tire, the tread pattern tracks the same as a Metzeler front tire. I have a Metz 260 rear and a Metz 130 front. On the front the treadlines point up when viewed from the front. On the rear the treadlines point up when viewed from the rear. So if you turn the rear around to the front, the treadlines will still be pointing up. Therefore it will look like a front Metzeler is supposed to.

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

To all that say that the metz backwards will make you hydro plane, look at the tires that come stick on some hardleys and victorys. they come with tires that the tread goes the same way that the metz backwards goes...
    BONE STOCK

Here's an illustration. The orange bike has a Metz rear 160 mounted in reverse. The bikes in the other picture both have Metz front tires mounted with proper rotation. Look at the tread patterns. They look the same. That should dispel any notion about hydroplaning.

Default Phat front

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Nope, BS. Does not collect water, does not promote hydroplaneing, does not cause a safety issue what-so-ever, in fact, hugs the road great in the wet. Metzler 160 up front reversed! Try it, you'll like it.
    100% Metz 160 run backwards...can't be beat...to this day still the best mod for this bike !!!!
    Stav

I with the 160 dunlop road smart and had planned on reverse direction but I can see where it could channel water to center of tire with no pocket to disperse

I ended up going with the directional arrows

Now I need to do more than oval the fender holes because it sits about 1/4" off tire

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy450r View Post
    I with the 160 dunlop road smart and had planned on reverse direction but I can see where it could channel water to center of tire with no pocket to disperse

I ended up going with the directional arrows

Now I need to do more than oval the fender holes because it sits about 1/4" off tire
    I just cut some flatstrap ....
    BONE STOCK

160 Metz run backwards . Tested in a downpour. I won't buy anything else.
    2008 Candy Max Orange,Chrome wheels, Debadged,poorman's debeaver,V-Stream Touring windshield, Corbin Seat, OEM Engine guards,Metz 160/60 front 260/40 rear,Chrome Stebel air horn, 2011 Victory Cross Country, 2003 Yamaha Roadstar, too many mods to list

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

What's the widest on stock rim

Quote Originally Posted by Rgus01 View Post
    What's the widest on stock rim

Default tires

so the widest stock tire on the front is a 150 that can go on and the widest rear is a 260? apologize for the silly question, new to the m109

160 front 280 rear but might be prefereable to go 260 use the search and you'll find many threads

Very Active Member

At the rear , the Dunlop E3 250-40-18 which is actually wider that the Metz 260 . At front , I have the Avon 3D 160 -60-18 reversed . So far, after 2 years , no problems .

Last edited by josey088; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:28 AM.

I can vouch for, or have had experience with the METZELER, AVON, and DUNLOP Elite-III tires. I rank the tires in the following order, based on quality, performance, and dependability.

1. Metzeler M880 Marathon series. There’s now an improved version out called the M888 series. The 160/60/r18 size rear tire mounted in reverse while being used as a front tire has been the best front tire option I’ve experienced on the M109R.

2. Avon Cobra and Storm series tires. There’s now an improved version out called the Avon Chrome series. I currently have the 160/60/r18 rear tire on mounted in reverse while being used as a front tire on my 07’ model 9, and it has been phenomenal. At some point, I’m going to try a full set of the Avon Chrome series tires on one of my 9s in the sizes 160/60r18 and 300/35/r18, because many folks have rated them as exceptionally good tires that are equal to or perhaps better than the METZELER M880 or M888 Marathon series.

3. Dunlop Elite-III series tires. Very good tread life and longevity, but traction and grip is not nearly as good as the Metzeler and/or Avon tires listed above. One other issue with this series is, you can’t get them in tire sizes 160/60/r18 or 300/35/r18.

I just went to the Metzler ME888 Ultra's 160/260 combo. I have only put about 1500 miles on them in the last couple of weeks, and all I can say is, These tires should have come on the bike from the factory. The bike is stuck to the road, doesn't wobble when you cross a seam in the road, and looks mean as hell. I also went to the balancing beads. I didn't have to oval out the mounting holes on the front fender. I just loosened the bolts and adjusted the space between the tire and fender evenly front to rear.

Quote Originally Posted by StuporDave View Post
    I just went to the Metzler ME888 Ultra's 160/260 combo. I have only put about 1500 miles on them in the last couple of weeks, and all I can say is, These tires should have come on the bike from the factory. The bike is stuck to the road, doesn't wobble when you cross a seam in the road, and looks mean as hell. I also went to the balancing beads. I didn't have to oval out the mounting holes on the front fender. I just loosened the bolts and adjusted the space between the tire and fender evenly front to rear.
    Last fall I went up to the Metzeler 160/60/18 and I love it... I plan to go to the 260 on the rear my bike came with the 250 just finishing it off~!
    I hot some brand new tar snakes other day on I-86 getting off freeway exit felt slight slip but nothing like my old 140 would done!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	388746
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    At the rear , the Dunlop E3 250-40-18 which is actually wider that the Metz 260 . At front , I have the Avon 3D 160 -60-18 reversed . So far, after 2 years , no problems .

Dunlop E3 250-40-18 which is actually wider that the Metz 260 REALLY? Why is that just overall shape?
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    Dunlop E3 250-40-18 which is actually wider that the Metz 260 REALLY? Why is that just overall shape?
    Yes, it actually is . It also last longer , too .

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    Yes, the E3 has a sharp outer edge versus the Metz has a rouder profile