Clutch Shudder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Shudder

Default Clutch Shudder

I used to only get it if i would accelerate quickly in 1st, clutch, coast down a small hill then when I started to release the clutch to engine brake.

Now I get clutch shudder a lot.. mainly if I'm riding say in 2nd, clutch slowing down for traffic, and then maybe blip the throttle, once it idles down release the cluch to start to go again I get clutch shudder.

I'm running Amsoil motorcycle oil it's been in there for 3400km. Level is good. I have 13,000km on the bike, it's been getting worse and worse over the last 2000km.

I'm thinking of switching away from amsoil to see if that makes a difference.

Any ideas? Would clutch shudder be covered under warranty?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member grandpatractor's Avatar

If you have a good dealer they may get it covered under warranty. Mine had 45,000 miles and was almost 3 years old and the got a few parts under warranty . Labor would have been extra.
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

This is heavily documented and most of the affected parts now have new part numbers. Meaning zooki know something was wrong so I don't understand why people are still having problems getting this fixed under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    K6, Black, PCV, Spike filters, 2-1 custom exhaust, Pair valves blocked, Secondary butterflies removed, Lowered 2.75", Tacho junked, Indicators replaced and relocated,
    Debeavered, 280 rear on Contrast Gasser rims, ISO Grips with Stiletto's, Cycle House Leavers & matching shorty Kickstand, Scythe II Mirrors & Axle Spikes,
    Nacel Glove Box

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Good to know... cause this morning I had issues leaving my yard for work it shuddered pretty good, once I let it warm up on my driveway for a few minutes it was fine if I watched how I shifted.

I have 2 dealers that I know, I'll try the place where I bought my bike (small town mom/pop shop), and then the bigger one in the city if need be.

Anybody know when the "newer" parts were made? Just so I can go in and accurately bring them up. My bike is a 2008, that was a hold over/left over I bought it less than a year ago.

Got the same problem with mine

same as yourself if I let her warm up before hand there is no problem at all
    Last edited by rainman; 09-06-2011 at 05:34 PM.

when you say clutch shudder do you mean that jerking/vibrating when you try to give it too much gas while releasing the clutch?

Or are you talking about that whining you get when you pull in the clutch and let go of the throttle in first gear?

Or something completely different?

Quote Originally Posted by M203R View Post
    jerking/vibrating when you try to give it too much gas while releasing the clutch?

thats it my driveway slopes up from the garage door so pulling away when bike is cold it feels like the headstock is loose and shaking all over the place.

Very Active Member

I had it they fixed it under warranty no issue getting it covered by the dealer.

On mine it feels like reverse ABS.. the clutch is grabbing/slipping/grabbing/slipping... in a very fast pulsing, almost like ABS..

Mine does it when cold in the morning, I just can't let it warm up where I park it due do it being right below the bedroom window and typically my wife is still sleeping when I leave for work. so I roll it way and fire it up to get through my gate, then I warm it up sitting in the driveway.

It does happen when warm/hot, typically low speeds in 2nd gear if I clutch to slow down for slow people/parking lot, then try to pull away, it's not torque shake, it's shudder.
    It also happens if I try to engine brake in 1st after holding in the clutch.

I rev-match every down shift. I'm hoping to inquire to my dealership here shortly.

Does oil level/age influence this at all? It seems to get worse the longer the oil has been in there. Right now I have Amsoil motorcycle oil that's pushing 4500km on it.

thanks I'll have a word with my local dealer and see what they say

I didn't realise it was a fault until reading here just thought that I hadn't warmed up the engine enough

thanks
    Mike

It is my understanding that it's the kush plate doing it's job. When I try to accelerate too quickly for the clutch to engage smoothly... It's to protect the clutch.

But if your decelerating and it's doing that then that has to be bad.

Of course that is just speculation by me, I'm open to correction if anyone has a better idea of what's happening.

I've had no change and ran three different oils in the last 10,000 miles. Valvoline, Castrol, and Royal Purple.

Hope some of that helps

I don't think so.. it's a wet clutch it should smoothly slip until it's fully engaged.

I've had it happen under 1/2 throttle so I don't think that's it.

My wife accidentally popped her clutch in 2nd gear.. her bike stood up in the rain.. (the clutch just grabbed.. no shudder)it was quite entertaining.. once she was safely down on both wheels.. we're not stunters

I'v had this problem from the time I bought the bike then it had 9km on it , it does the shutter every now and then ,feels like the engine wants to jump out of the frame, it can happen any time when I am starting out in 1st gear I just pull the clutch lever and it clears up. I well try to get the dealer to listen to my problem the next time I visit them , but I imagine I'll get the same old story it is normal for those machines. copout.

I talked to a city dealer about it on Saturday, he said he's heard about it down south in the 'States.. but none up here. And that he'd have to check into it as far as it being covered by warranty.

He said he'd call me Monday... hmm

I think I'll have to call him cause WOWsers.. almost got squished at lunch making a left turn it shuddered so bad that clutching and the slipping the clutch didn't help had to coast off the road, turned it off for a few minutes then on and it "seems" back to normal again. That was after a hard down shift to first if that makes a difference.

Well I'm planning to go to the other dealer Saturday.

I noticed something today. I mainly get shudder if the bike is warm (occationally when cold) but I can replicated it.. rev the bike let it idle down, but as soon as it hits idle start to release the clutch give it a little throttle to go and bam shudder.

My virago had an issue when it was cold that all the oil would be up in the jugs, ok enough to cause the oil level light to come on. I wonder if my shudder issue is related to oil starvation.. I've read threads about how guys with Ms have taken their clutches a part and found them dry.

Hi i think its all about the oil .Had heavy oil in my 109 .. Shuddered all the time went back to a lighter oil .no more shudder.ps I am no expert its just what found with my bike...

Ya, I'm running Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w40, and it seems to get worse the closer I get to oil change time... which is wierd.. the oil "looks fine", but "older" oil looses viscosity, so it gets "thinner" which is the confusing part. Based on Suzuki's oil change interval it's time for an oil change, but based off amsoil maybe just over 1/2 way.

There are many threads detailing this fault adn the thing that appears to be the big fix is Parts: SEAT, WAVE WASHER #21471-48G00 $9.06 & WASHER,CLUTCH P #21472-48G10 (replaces 21472-48G00) $16.31 & PLATE,CLUTCH DR 21441-48G40 (replaces 21441-48G10) $12.16. So for around $37 + shipping and a couple of hours of your time you have a very good chance of fixing your clutch shudder.

I had bad clutch shudder and just replaced these parts (based on all the threads I have read on here) and my 9 feels brand new again. It is nothing short of amazing.

It is a fairly simple job to remove your clutch stack and replace these parts. There are very detailed "How To" threads on this board that really make it a job most people can do themselves.

Give it a go, and if you are not mechanically minded I'm sure you will find someone on here that could help you out...the only thing holding you back is spending $37 + shipping

Boogs.
    K6, Black, PCV, Spike filters, 2-1 custom exhaust, Pair valves blocked, Secondary butterflies removed, Lowered 2.75", Tacho junked, Indicators replaced and relocated,
    Debeavered, 280 rear on Contrast Gasser rims, ISO Grips with Stiletto's, Cycle House Leavers & matching shorty Kickstand, Scythe II Mirrors & Axle Spikes,
    Nacel Glove Box

Do those part #'s cross over to a C? I'm still in warranty so I'll see if I can get it covered. If not, it's a winter project

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gold5th View Post
    Ya, I'm running Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w40, and it seems to get worse the closer I get to oil change time... which is wierd.. the oil "looks fine", but "older" oil looses viscosity, so it gets "thinner" which is the confusing part. Based on Suzuki's oil change interval it's time for an oil change, but based off amsoil maybe just over 1/2 way.
    I ran amsoil 10w40 in mine for 48,000 miles. changed it anywhere from 3500 -5000 miles. I didn't get any shudder until around 40000 miles.I got the parts but crashed it before I put them in. I'll save them for when the new one needs them. I'm thinking that it was getting due for a clutch also and I was going to check the wear this winter.
    But don't have to worry about that now.
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

I've had shudder since well about 4000miles heh, it only has 9300miles on it now.

So I went to my dealer, the guy to talk to was away so they were gonna call me on Monday..

Ok so I go about my day, went to a diff bike shop to get a price on tires and while there I asked about the clutch shudder, they said they could do it for $150.. I asked if it were something that could be covered by warranty, so they took my vin and looked..

Sooo I bought my bike Oct 3/2010, the top guy said he might hold off registering it with Suzuki til the spring.. but the "other" dealership said my warranty expired June of 2009... Whisky Foxtrot Tango? It expired 15months before I bought it?

So I'll have to deal with my dealership on Monday... grrr

30000 miles and I started getting the shudder, I guess I'll have to contact my dealer and see what we can do. especially if suzuki is aware of the issue.
    2008 C109RT Black and Gray, g-man riser, shark sound system, cobra fatty bars, mutazu luggage rack, cobra light bar.

My dealer wanted to ride the bike to see if he could replicate it. I popped by on a Saturday, about 2min after they closed... DOH! 50mile ride there, and I was moving hehe. Anyhow I called him back and said, ya a test ride will be hard, the rear tire shredded. He said come spring he could look at it then, but I'm tempted to say screw it and put the parts in myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzin109 View Post
    30000 miles and I started getting the shudder, I guess I'll have to contact my dealer and see what we can do. especially if suzuki is aware of the issue.
    That was about what I got before I started to notice it once in a while. Got slowly worse. Had the parts to do it and then crashed the bike at 48,000 miles. Never put them in. I'll just keep them for when the new one needs it.
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

My dealer wanted to ride the bike to see if he could replicate it. I popped by on a Saturday, about 2min after they closed... DOH! 50mile ride there, and I was moving hehe. Anyhow I called him back and said, ya a test ride will be hard, the rear tire shredded. He said come spring he could look at it then, but I'm tempted to say screw it and put the parts in myself.
    My dealer was really cool about it. Never even looked at the bike or drove it. I just told them what it was doing and she knew what I was talking about. Made some calls and got me the parts for free. They would have charged for their labor but I told her I would put them in myself and they were ok with that and gave me the parts.
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

My dealer specializes in off-road stuff.. he just has a couple street bikes in stock. He called his Suzuki guy who told him, they have heard about it in the states, but not up here...

Quote Originally Posted by grandpatractor View Post
    That was about what I got before I started to notice it once in a while. Got slowly worse. Had the parts to do it and then crashed the bike at 48,000 miles. Never put them in. I'll just keep them for when the new one needs it.
    I know the part #s are all listed above, but it was never confirmed if those are C part # or M.
    Could you confirm that for me since you have the parts? Any idea where the best place to get them is?

I half tempted to buy/do the shift star at the same time. I still need to put on my Gman Shift bushing as well..

I know the part #s are all listed above, but it was never confirmed if those are C part # or M.
    Could you confirm that for me since you have the parts? Any idea where the best place to get them is?

I half tempted to buy/do the shift star at the same time. I still need to put on my Gman Shift bushing as well..
    Here's a pic of my invoice for my M. And a link for c109 parts. They look like they are the same. I got my parts from Oneida Suzuki.
    http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/oem...VLR1800/CLUTCH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323207027.804174.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	56121  

That helps a lot. Thank you.

'nother question, would it hurt anything to drain the oil, pull the clutch apart and leave it that way until the parts come in? That way if I need clutch disks I can order them at the same time.

Thanks