Clutch Shudder - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by Gold5th View Post
    That helps a lot. Thank you.

'nother question, would it hurt anything to drain the oil, pull the clutch apart and leave it that way until the parts come in? That way if I need clutch disks I can order them at the same time.

Thanks
    On my M I rolled it up on 2x4s and left it on the kickstand and didn't lose a drop of oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I need to do an oil change anyhow.. and I have no rear tire... it's distorted flat tire looks like i did a burn out, but I didn't. So it's up on a lift.

That helps a lot. Thank you.

'nother question, would it hurt anything to drain the oil, pull the clutch apart and leave it that way until the parts come in? That way if I need clutch disks I can order them at the same time.

Thanks
    Drain your oil after you're done with the clutch. That way you will flush any dust or debris that makes it inside the motor while you have the side cover off. Very little oil is lost pulling the cover. Run it a bit, then change the oil.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Ahh I was thinking pull everything out then either tape the side or put the cover back on. It'll be straight up and down on a lift if that makes a difference for oil loss.

Well I got the parts, just need to do it now.. the wave washer doesn't look very wavy...

Well I got the parts, just need to do it now.. the wave washer doesn't look very wavy...
    It's really more of a conical shape.

Ahh ok good.. 'cause that's what it looks like.. hopefully I can tell by the old one which way it goes in.

Ahh ok good.. 'cause that's what it looks like.. hopefully I can tell by the old one which way it goes in.
    If not, it goes small size towards engine. Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	61538

Thanks for the diagram.. that'll help tons.

Whoa, wait a sec, I didn't realize that this was for a C109R, gimme a sec to log into Suzuki and check if this is correct.

Okay there are some minor differences, but that side of the clutch it the same concept.

You should be good with that diagram, however remember that on the other end there will be another of the first one you put in.

If this confuses you, I suggest putting a towel underneath the clutch before you disassemble, remove them as if they were falling out and stacking on top of each other... making 1 stack of Drive/Driven then a separate stack for the wave washer, Seat and the last plate, as you'll be replacing those three.

Good luck brother.

Thanks again.

Ya it'll be fun. The bike is at buddies photography studio being stored for the winter, I have access, it's just a matter of having a full day to go down there and do it.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I've done head gaskets without documentation by just keeping track of what I've removed from where. Generally if there's a logic to it, I can figure it out.

Very Active Member

I agree with the 109 riders that have responded to this thread.

This is known problem, and the solution is replacement of the clutch parts noted, particularly the wave washer and driven plate(s).

I had a terrible clutch shudder problem (multiple times on each ride), and it was cured immediately by this fix. Nor has it re-occured even once in the 1 -1/2 years since.

I use standard motorcycle oil now (GTX).

I'm not discounting that people believe that synthetic oils seem to help reduce shudder, but it's not the fix.

The original wave washer and driven plate were either poorly designed, or used inappropriate materials.

These parts are supposed to interract smoothly with each other, but as they wear, and combined with oils & heat, the original parts produce a sticky gum on the mating surfaces. This causes irregular clutch release and 'grabbing' as you let go of the clutch handle. The result is shudder. (And yes, it's more pronounced when the bike is cold).

Shudder can show up early in the bike's life (1000 km), or even after warranty. It depends on how much riding is done, and other factors.

Don't let dealers B.S. you on this. It's common for them to associate it to the clutch cable, or to meticulous clutch adjustments -- in order to defer the problem outside the warranty period.

Yes, clutch cable adjustments ARE important on these bikes - but they are not at the root of the shudder problem.

If you're experiencing shudder, then it's imperative that you have it documented on the work order each time it goes in for service. That way you have something to fall back on if resolution hasn't occurred during the warranty period. (Warranty service on all vehicles should be done this way. Don't allow the dealers to simply acknowledge your warranty concerns verbally. Always ask for them to write down the problems on the work order.)

If the Service Manager is unresponsive to your concerns, or pretends to be ignorant of the issue, then you need to request to be referred to a regional Suzuki Representative. If the Service Manager won't do it, then go to another dealer.

The unfortunate thing about all this is that without a recall, or a technical service bulletin, Suzuki is not particularly motivated to address it. Let's face it, it costs a lot. This attitude filters down through to the dealers, who might have difficulty themselves in recovering costs, or obtaining authorization from Suzuki.

That makes it harder for consumers, who are put in a 'squeaky wheel' position. And not everyone is comfortable with that, or good at it.
    Last edited by asviewedfrommars; 03-03-2012 at 02:54 AM.

when did the new part numbers come out? I would assume the new 9's have the good parts but does anyone know what year they started ?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy450r View Post
    when did the new part numbers come out? I would assume the new 9's have the good parts but does anyone know what year they started ?
    Mine is a 2009, purchased as new.

I started getting shudder about 8 months after I bought it.

After pressing the issue, a Suzuki rep agreed to evaluate the bike, and I was fortunate that he actually experienced the problem while test driving it. That's why I can say that Suzuki knows about the problem.

The rep acknowledged that Suzuki had been toying with different ideas, and I believe that I was one of the early riders to receive the wave washer solution. A dealer installed it, and I was able to see the parts that were pulled out.

It was repaired, as I recall, in early 2010.

So my guess is that you'd need a 2011 model or greater in order to see revised parts incorporated from the factory.
    Last edited by asviewedfrommars; 03-03-2012 at 03:16 AM.

As I stated earlier in the thread, the bigger dealers up here know about it, but for some reason think it's a US bike issue. My dealer was willing to evaluate it, but he closed early the day I showed up, then later that week I blew my rear tire and put my bike in to somewhat early winter storage.

I just decided to do it myself as going to a dealer that's a 150mile round trip with hours similar to what I work is a pita. The clutch shudder has almost got me dead about 4 times, so I'm just going to fix it. Mine like to shudder when I'm making left turns and typically when head on traffic is coming.

Very Active Member

I ahve a 06, original owner. Starting to shutter now. I hope Suzuki will cover it. In Oregon now, any Oregon riders know a shop?

Suzuki is not going to cover it, especially on a 13 year old bike. I have an 06 M1109R, and it might do it two or three times a year. It's never been terrible when it does do it. I just quickly pull in the clutch, give it a hard rev, then take off like nothing happened. Here the last two years, it hasn't really been a shudder as much as the clutch just seemed "grabby", as one Suzuki mechanic described it on a test ride. SO far this year, hasn't done it once.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Suzuki is not going to cover it, especially on a 13 year old bike. I have an 06 M1109R, and it might do it two or three times a year. It's never been terrible when it does do it. I just quickly pull in the clutch, give it a hard rev, then take off like nothing happened. Here the last two years, it hasn't really been a shudder as much as the clutch just seemed "grabby", as one Suzuki mechanic described it on a test ride. SO far this year, hasn't done it once.
    I was told by a Suzuki Mecanic to take the clutch plates out and Soak them in oil for 24 hrs and then put them back in and that should cure the problem for the riding season
    Last edited by Captnpete; 08-26-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captnpete View Post
    I was told by a Suzuki Mecanic to take the clutch plates out and Soak them in oil for 24 hrs and then put them back in and that should cure the problem for the riding season
    That would be correct but that is only going to last so long. Several have upgraded their clutch parts to the updated part numbers, but the plates need more oil and thats why several have done the push pin mod. So to allow for more oil to get to the clutch plates.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk