M109 Rider Forums banner

Full face vs half shell helmet.

21K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  John109R 
#1 ·
Ladies and gentelmen,

I would like to have your opinion. I have almost always ridden with a full face helmet however I purchased a half shell last year. This year I went to bike week in Myrtle Beach and we rode without helmets and I was able to hear so much more around me including my 9. Today I put on the half shell and took a quick ride to retrieive my full face and omg the wind noise was deafening at only 70mph. The helmet fits but it also felt that it would lift off of my head if I went a faster or turned the wrong way (maybe I am being paranoid on that one). I also couldn't really hear the bike due to that wind noise. As soon as I put on the full face everything was muted but I didn't feel as connected to the bike.

With that said I have some questions.

Do you prefer a full face or half shell?
Do you find a benefit from one over the other?
Am I paranoid thinking that the half shell will lift off?
What do I do about the wind noise?

Thanks

See less See more
#8 ·
When I bounce around town which is usually at a slower, more relaxed pace,,I love to wear my half shell without a dought.

When I go on a longer trip though that will put me at highway speeds and riding real aggresive it's full face all the time..
Where I live there are two major roads that the speed limit is 55. For the most part I ride a little faster and traffic is always a factor. It looks like I will continue to use my full face. Thank you.

#7 ·
"all the gear, all the time" rode ONE TIME in sturgis without a lid last year cause everyone else was dong it, and wrecked. Didn't get hurt too badly, just a little rash. I think it was a sign tho...

I guess I'm saying, go with the full face all the time. It's what I do now.
You are right. I rarely rode my sportbike without all of my gear.

#9 ·
I like the look of what my wife calls the "half-brain" helmet but I'm more comfortable with the full face. It's quieter and you don't have to deal with getting hit in the face with bugs ( not fun!)

It's good rule to dress for the crash rather than the ride.
Cruising around town I'm ok with not having full face protection.
Not so much on the freeway at 75 mph!

#10 ·
...With that said I have some questions.

1 - Do you prefer a full face or half shell?
2 - Do you find a benefit from one over the other?
3 - Am I paranoid thinking that the half shell will lift off?
4 - What do I do about the wind noise?

Thanks
People are different and like/dislike different things. Guess you should go with the one YOU feel better with. Do you prefer being more protected? How about the level of comfort? How important is that to you? The peace of mind of being more protected with the full face will make the difference for some. Like you said, the feeling of being more connected to the bike with the half helmet for other means everything while riding it! Go figure!!! But ok... You've asked direct questions for each member so I'll give you my personal answers:

1 - I prefer a half helmet while in the city at slower speeds and a full face for the highway.
2 - Yes. Full face will give you more comfort and protection while the half helmet will make you "feel" the ride better.
3 - If you strap it correctly you won't have problems.
4 - You can take it like a man :joke: or you can buy yourself a set of earplugs. That helps with the noise issue. I also know riders that uses their Ipods while riding. I personally am afraid of that and would not recommend it. But again, whatever floats your boat my man!

Ride Safe. Ride in PEACE!

#11 ·
2 - Yes. Full face will give you more comfort and protection while the half helmet will make you "feel" the ride better.
Well..although a proponent of the full face, I'm going to disagree there. They aren't very comfortable to wear. They're hot, they'll mess up your hair and squish your face a little. I think one of the biggest reasons people don't like full face helmets is the discomfort they come with.

#16 ·
I think you're asking the wrong question. Maybe it should be "what helmet should I have on when I am thrown from my machine?"

I have been thrown and my helmet and face shield looked like it had been thru a tree chipper. My helmet saved my life. Even so, I was in the hospital a week!

There is a cost of "looking cool" on a motorcycle. I think you can look cool with a full face helmet. I have said in other posts: If you don't believe me, gently take a watermelon and drop it from a car doing 50 MPH. That's your head - now, do you want it in a half helmet?

Any how, I think you already know that or you wouldn't be asking. Good luck in any choice you make.

#18 ·
The 9 is my second suzuki cruiser (c90) and I rode that one with a full face 100% of the time and 2 gixxer 750's that I also rode with full faces. I do agree that the full face gives the most protection and I do have a Scorpion Exo-1000 that is comfortable but of course hot. The only reason that I have a half face is because in 2010 the city of Myrtle Beach,SC enacted a helmet law and I went there for bike week. My mode of thinking was that maybe I could switch back and forth at times but ultimately I'd rather be hot than connected I guess.

As far as wind noise and the ipod I have done it although I know that it is illegal to have earphones in both ears while a vehicle is in motion here in MD. I am not a fan of earplugs either because they tend to irritate me over time.

I want to say thank you again to all of you as your opinions are greatly valued.

#20 ·
It depends on what price you put to your head.
When it is about safety gear, then we hope we never get to use it, when that day comes i would love to have the full face. Nevertheless I am riding agressive or not, fast or slow.

When it is about a 5 min ride where i wont ride into highways, then the half one is regularly my option. So I am not sounding like I do what I think, right, lol.

And well of course, the second priority on safety gear is that it should by comfy.

So first safety, second comfy!

#22 ·
Ladies and gentelmen,

I would like to have your opinion. I have almost always ridden with a full face helmet however I purchased a half shell last year. This year I went to bike week in Myrtle Beach and we rode without helmets and I was able to hear so much more around me including my 9. Today I put on the half shell and took a quick ride to retrieive my full face and omg the wind noise was deafening at only 70mph. The helmet fits but it also felt that it would lift off of my head if I went a faster or turned the wrong way (maybe I am being paranoid on that one). I also couldn't really hear the bike due to that wind noise. As soon as I put on the full face everything was muted but I didn't feel as connected to the bike.

With that said I have some questions.

Do you prefer a full face or half shell?
Do you find a benefit from one over the other?
Am I paranoid thinking that the half shell will lift off?
What do I do about the wind noise?

Thanks
Here is my 2 cents, I usually wear my half helmet most of the time. I do have an open face (HJC IS-33) that I have worn on long road trips. The open face does provide the best overall protection between that and the half helmet.

Regarding of the hal helemt lifting at speed, that has happened but only when I did not secure the helmet tight enough. You might want to check you adjustments to be on the safe side.

I know people like ear plugs and they are good but I guess the wind rush does not bother me at all.

One thing I will leave you with I always wear a helmet either half or open face, helmets are made for a reason that is why I wear mine. As corny as it sounds SAFETY FIRST!!! You can enjoy your 9 if you are not here!

ENJOY THE RIDE!!! :bigthumbsup:

#27 ·
Full Face for me Attitude Adjuster. I'm in PG County too and with the way folks drive around here I'll always where full face and full gear.
I hear you. I do ride in shirt sleeves more often since I have gotten this bike but I am normally geared up. I have to gear up when on a club ride though. Maybe we can hook up for a ride at some point.

#30 ·
So you are 4% more likely to hit your right side of your chin than your left?

So much for turn the other cheek!:joke:

#29 ·
I use both, but I prefer the half helmet. I also use my ipod with ear buds. The ear buds work like ear plugs and I can listen to some good tunes. Treat them just like the radio in your car. Turn it up to loud and you can't hear what's going on around your. I keep mine at a moderate level to drown out the wind noise. Half or Full helmet, I still like my tunes on the road.

BTW.... don't be a A-hole. If your gonna wear a helmet....and you should...get a DOT approved one. Don't get one of these replica helmets cause it's lighter and cheaper. Those idiots look like their wearing swim caps. It's funny as hell to me. All to avoid a ticket.

#33 ·
Times 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#36 ·
:agree: ...and the big ones you don't eat leave welts. Full face always!

#37 ·
Full face 100% of the time. Too paranoid to believe I can ride around the block, and some idiot in a cage, texting, won't hit me. The What-Ifs get me all the time, so its real uncomfortable for me to ride bare-headed.

I've been hit by a cage three times since 76. Every time the helmet was toast. Good enough for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.