The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to...
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to...

Default The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to...

I have been PM'd to death about the front motor mounts which I don't mind but figured this would be more helpful.

For those that have not done this mod......DO IT! It has made my bike so much more enjoyable to ride. It is much smoother....the 3500rpm vibration is still there but you don't feel it much at all. Here are what some others have said about the mod:

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I feel the engine real good now, and the whole being of the bike. LOL It feels and reacts so much tighter with the hard mounts up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by The HUFF View Post
    I actually thought mine felt a bit smoother when I got it all finished with the new mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000DUDE View Post
    Anyway, it runs great, and seems much smoother. Maybe it's in my head, but it really feels different to me. It even seems to shift better.
    The best $40 I've spent lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Yes they do feel better and all the torque lost slopping around in the soft mounts, LOL, Feels Like a new 9..............
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.T. View Post
    All I can say is WOW,, what a difference.. All the heavy vibration that I took as normal in now gone... This is a must do mod in my opinion..
    Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000DUDE View Post
    After another day of riding today, I can really tell the difference in vibration felt in the handlebars. I remember the first time I revved up this bike to 3500-4000 rpm in neutral when I first bought it, the vibration was there, not too bad, but there. Now I can't feel it at all. The front motor mounts were too soft from the get go. Maybe Suzuki wanted more "character" to compete with HD. I'll take smoothness thank you.
    Oh, good idea on the dish soap to ease installation, WD-40 didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_grider View Post
    I noticed zero vibration at my grips , my mirrors hardly vibrate and its alot smoother then when it was new !

I agree with Bobby I had 18000 miles didnt really know i needed them ! great improvement
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_grider View Post
    Thanks again Chad !

Rode about 50 miles today and man it really is a lot smoother on the highway !

Here is what a new one looks like:

Here is what your front ones probably look like.....WORN OUT!

With that said, on with the HOW TO...........
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 06-07-2011 at 04:36 PM.

HD ETR

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

First of all you will need two of the harder rear motor mounts. They are part #11652-10G30
    I ordered mine from here and they were about $14 dollars each. That was the cheapest I could find and these folks gave great service:
    http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/

You will also need two jacks....motorcycle and a one like this to lift/support the motor:

Now on to the stuff you must take off. You have to take all the radiator cowling stuff off. So the tank comes back and I took off the side covers as well:

Next you have to remove both of the footpeg brackets(2 bolts on each side) and the brake pedal. I didn't remove my shifter.....just sort of left it dangling but I did support it:

To remove the brake pedal, you have to remove this bolt:

The spring comes off as well. When you take the pedal off, there is a rubber O-ring that you don't need to lose. It probably will come off, just remember where it goes and put a thin coat of grease on it when you reinstall. Grease the brake lever shaft, too.

Remove this as well. It more of less just presses down into it's holder. There is a spring which you have to take off as well:

Next you need to remove the cover in front of the rear master cylinder....two bolts:

Ok....now you need to remove the rear brake fluid reservoir, so you can get at the bolts for the frame. I took the whole bracket off to make more room. I also disconnected my horn because I was pulling the radiator forward and the horn was holding it back:

Now.....I would take the bolts out of the radiator.....two at the top and one at the bottom. This will allow it to move forward and give you room to get behind it. This is what the right side of the bike will be looking like. This is CBR1000's pic. It also shows the two bolts in the frame out......don't do that YET!

Now get your one ton jack and support the motor.....we're getting to the good part. No pics of this but it has to go under the front part behind the oil filter.

Take out the long bolt between the front mounts, and the spacer.

Now the section of frame can be removed with 6 bolts. Slide out the old mounts (bushings), use dish soap or silicone grease (not oil, it degrades the rubber), and slide in the new ones with the spacer between them. These are the bolts that come out to remove the frame section.....there are two under the exhaust, two right behind the rear brake reservoir, and two on the shifter side right behind the radiator. In my picture, you can only see one of the bolts behind the brake reservoir....look at CBR1000s pic above to see both:

*****When you are removing these bolts, when you get down to the last bolt to come out....aka bolt 6 of 6.....it may be hard to get out. I had to screw it out all the way...all the others just pulled right out. I was worried that there was excess weight causing it to be in a bind and was expecting the worst when I pulled it out. Don't freak....the jack has got the motor. When Lucky helped a guy do his last week, he said the bolt did the same on that bike, too. So expect it.

Picture of old mount out:

The one ton jack will be a big help in lining everything up for the install. Also, if you can have an extra set of hands, I had Lucky, it will make this much easier.

Once the new ones are in, reinstall in the reverse order. I used blue loc-tite on all my stuff.
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 06-04-2011 at 04:03 PM.

HD ETR

Thanks Bobby, just ordered mine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Lucky helped me do mine and last weekend he did another guy's bike. He is planning to help GeorgiaRoller with his this week. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or Lucky06. I did this "How To" after the fact but I hope it helps you guys out.

I don't think I left anything out but use your common sense and you'll be fine....

HD ETR

Thanks so much for the DIY!

Those of us in central Florida should plan on a group motor mount installation day. Who's in? PM me if you're interested.

Very Very nice helpful write-up. If I ever decide to do this, you have helped us all out a bunch with this.
    C50 Volusia Intruder (Sweetpea) then a 2003 Honda Magna (Maggie) and now an 07 109 (Gwendolyn). I've been 160 MPH as a passenger on the back of a Hayabusa (Bridgette). And my OMG newest bike to add is my own 03 Copper Hayabusa, named Ysabel.

Cuz chicks ride too.

Default engine mounts

Hey really nice how to. Just wondering can we all get Lucky to come and help for the spare pair of hands?? Nice job guys will keep this info for sure.

Great job Bobby. I just ordered mine too, along with a couple other small items. Great prices but their shipping was a tad high, but at least I have them coming.

I bet they wonder why all at once everyone is ordering these bushings.

Looks like I will add this to my winter mod list. Thanks Bobby.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Very Active Member

Great write up Bobby. Mine are sitting here and it is on the "to do list". Going to do them right after the Mid Atlantic Meet as I have another bike coming in. If I get time I will try to do them this week.

Default Thank you Bobby

Great write up Bobby! Thanks for the info. Will replace mine soon.

mrhp

Bobby, thanks a million for the pics and how too, have mine coming in mail any day..... this will help a bunch!

This is the first i've heard of this. Are the stock ones to soft and if so is all the years the same way?

THANKS FOR THE WRITEUP!!!!

time to order some motor mounts
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    This is the first i've heard of this. Are the stock ones to soft and if so is all the years the same way?
    good question.........why is this to be done and is the replacement part the same as stock.
    Kenny
    THE UGLY TRUTH...................

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    The front ones are made out of a softer material and wear out really quickly. Replacing it with the harder rear ones (part number listed in above post) fixes the problem. Yes, all the years are the same way.

HD ETR

Very Nice!!! Thanx

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

Not sure what I missed, what are the symptoms as I have nearly 20,000 I dont notice any vibraton between 3500 and 4, I do have a dead spot around 4200 but I think that is a map problem. mirrors never shake? so how do you determin when threy are going bad?
    Last edited by rockfordrider; 06-06-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Bully Bagger

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordrider View Post
    Not sure what I missed, what are the symptoms as I have nearly 20,000 I dont notice any vibraton between 3500 and 4, I do have a dead spot around 4200 but I think that is a map problem. mirrors never shake? so how do you determin when threy are going bad?
    You can see them. The "star" portion of the mount is pointed in so to see the one on the shifter side you have to be on the exhaust side and vice versa. Take a flash light and shine it in there and look. It is easier to see the one on the exhaust side. It might take you a minute or two to figure out where they are and what they look like, but you can see them with out taking anything off.

HD ETR

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    You can see them. The "star" portion of the mount is pointed in so to see the one on the shifter side you have to be on the exhaust side and vice versa. Take a flash light and shine it in there and look. It is easier to see the one on the exhaust side. It might take you a minute or two to figure out where they are and what they look like, but you can see them with out taking anything off.

You sir are an example of why this forum is so great!
    Thank You!!

Bobby this is a really great HOW TO .

Chad and I had mine done in about 1.5 hrs but we had some stuff already off doing my new clutch !

Lee_grider when you changed your clutch did you change the 6 hub springs too and if you did what and where did you get them.

Very Active Member

Thanks a bunch Bobby, this will help alot. I just got my bike out of the shop where i asked them to check the mounts since I felt I had a knock in the engine and thought this may be the cause. The service writer said "I've never herd of such a thing", I told him it appears it's a rather common problem based on what I've seen on-line. Saying that was a mistake.... He nearly lambasted me for beleaving the crap that has happened to 3 people on the Internet. Well after picking up the bike after he had the bike for a month, I took a quick lil look and I'll be damned the front mounts are completely shot. Needless to say I have the mounts on order,(not from his shop) and after I swap them out I'm gunna march up there and shove em up his a$$. Thanks again for the info bro.
    Okie9er
    If a man shouts in the woods and theres no woman around to hear it, Is he still wrong?

Very Active Member

Live your own life....... everyone else has one!

'07 Red with a "Natural Mystic Blowing Through The Air........."

Default Ah ain't never heared of dat!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie9er View Post
    Thanks a bunch Bobby, this will help alot. I just got my bike out of the shop where i asked them to check the mounts since I felt I had a knock in the engine and thought this may be the cause. The service writer said "I've never herd of such a thing", I told him it appears it's a rather common problem based on what I've seen on-line. Saying that was a mistake.... He nearly lambasted me for beleaving the crap that has happened to 3 people on the Internet. Well after picking up the bike after he had the bike for a month, I took a quick lil look and I'll be damned the front mounts are completely shot. Needless to say I have the mounts on order,(not from his shop) and after I swap them out I'm gunna march up there and shove em up his a$$. Thanks again for the info bro.
    Okie9er
    This is why my bike has never been back to the dealer since 06. They ain't never heared of nuthin!
    But in all fairness, mods like this won't be in their service manuals. They're improvements to what Suzuki did.
    But I'm sure a highly trained Suzuki service writer knows more than people who have actually done this mod. Not!
    It seems the more ignorant a person is, the more confident they are that they know everything.
    Try a little dish soap lube on your old motor mounts before you insert them in his a$$, and tell him your learned that on this site also! That'll make a believer out of him.
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

Crap, I knew this would happen. And with stuff from Japan being way behind on deliveries, I doubt the July date will hold up. I placed the order over the weekend.

An item you ordered is unfortunately on nationwide backorder through the manufacturer. It is item number 11652-10G30. As of this morning, the release date listed by Suzuki is scheduled for 7/6/11. This date is subject to change, if it does I will be sure to let you know. I apologize for the delay and look forward to shipping your order as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Ashley
    Boulevard Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Crap, I knew this would happen. And with stuff from Japan being way behind on deliveries, I doubt the July date will hold up. I placed the order over the weekend.
    Double CRAP ! I got the same e-mail as well
    Tempting Fate, One 9 at a Time!

Well on the bright side, it's not an "emergency mod"....it really does make a big difference in the ride. Maybe some other sites have them in stock

HD ETR

Quote Originally Posted by stepink104 View Post
    good question.........why is this to be done and is the replacement part the same as stock.
    The main reason I did mine was because the engine had moved low enough that the u-joint was rubbing inside its inner housing as seen below:

I replaced all six of the motor mounts with the harder rubber and it corrected the problem. There are a couple of ways to figure out if your mounts require replacement. The first is to check whether your engine is sitting below the frame and the second is to take a look at these two covers:

Good luck with your mounts guys!
    Last edited by Snowblind; 06-08-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
    The main reason I did mine was because the engine had moved low enough that the u-joint was rubbing inside its inner housing as seen below:

I replaced all six of the motor mounts with the harder rubber and it corrected the problem. There are a couple of ways to figure out if your mounts require replacement. The first is to check whether your engine is sitting below the frame and the second is to take a look at these two covers:

Good luck with your mounts guys!
    Would the spaces be closer or not parallel?
    I DID NOTHING AND IT WAS EVERYTHING I EXPECTED IT TO BE!!