The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to... - Page 5
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to...

Finally received my mounts yesterday. Thinking about doing them tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Smile

changed my front motor mounts and the beast has no more vibration! actually I didn't, had the shop do it, but it a hell of alot better like new!

We actually changed Mark's (20smoke) motor mounts yesterday. There's a lot more stuff in the way on his bike than there was on mine. We did it in just over 2 hours. Now I know what all those empty holes and missing brackets were for. We also put on a Motion Pro clutch cable.

-Josh

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    We actually changed Mark's (20smoke) motor mounts yesterday. There's a lot more stuff in the way on his bike than there was on mine. We did it in just over 2 hours. Now I know what all those empty holes and missing brackets were for. We also put on a Motion Pro clutch cable.

-Josh
    Yea, totally makes sense how you did yours so fast. I think 2 to 2 1/2 hours is the norm.

Did my mounts today. Very pleased with the results. Bike is very smooth. Vibration is gone and it's much smoother transitioning from accel to decel. Took longer than I thought it would but I don't get in a hurry when I work on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzySpell View Post
    Has anyone checked the C109 bushes and how they compare? Are those harder, softer or same?

C109 has four 11652-10G50 and two 11652-10G40

That's a good question!

On the M the G30 number is the harder compound.

Antmor69, did you do your mounts on the kickstand or did you put the bike on a lift? I am going to do this mod real soon and must have read over this thread a dozen times and I'm still nervous. I ask because I heard that doing it on the kickstand is much easier and do you still have to loosen all those frame bolts?

Save your old mounts. I'll take them. I'm trying to get some urethane mount going.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Antmor69, did you do your mounts on the kickstand or did you put the bike on a lift? I am going to do this mod real soon and must have read over this thread a dozen times and I'm still nervous. I ask because I heard that doing it on the kickstand is much easier and do you still have to loosen all those frame bolts?
    I honestly cannot see how it is any easier then doing it on a lift. Either way you have to jack the motor up. Being on a lift it is straight up and higher off the ground to work with. No need to be nervious, it really isn't hard. You have to loosen all the frame bolts because you have to remove the right side of the frame to get to the motor mounts.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by DizzySpell View Post
    Has anyone checked the C109 bushes and how they compare? Are those harder, softer or same?

C109 has four 11652-10G50 and two 11652-10G40

does the c109 have the same wear out issues as the m?

I've done two of them on the kickstand. I don't have a lift. I have a bike jack but figured it would get in my way so I just did them on the kickstand. You have to remove the frame bolts or you can't remove the right side mount.

A little tidbit to add to this how-to that I haven't seen mentioned before. I've done 2 of them now and advised on another. When putting the frame back together it makes life alot easier if you start the 2 bolts on the lower left (shifter) side first. These are the two behind the radiator down low. If you don't you will have a difficult time getting them started. I also found it easier to start the two bolts on the left foot peg bracket while having the long bolt that goes through the mounts out. Once they are started then put the long bolt in.

Quote Originally Posted by antmor69 View Post
    A little tidbit to add to this how-to that I haven't seen mentioned before. I've done 2 of them now and advised on another. When putting the frame back together it makes life alot easier if you start the 2 bolts on the lower left (shifter) side first. These are the two behind the radiator down low. If you don't you will have a difficult time getting them started. I also found it easier to start the two bolts on the left foot peg bracket while having the long bolt that goes through the mounts out. Once they are started then put the long bolt in.

Great advise Anthony. Ya beat me to it. Thanks for all of the help, either by text messages or phone calls. I got it done in just over 2 hrs with the help of David (Dre319). I'm just waiting for my shroud to come back from Icebox. Then I will see what the difference is with the new mounts.
    M109R-"Don't just turn their heads, INFLICT WHIPLASH"!!!

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

anyway of printing the how to part with out the extra pages?
    Bully Bagger

Yeah...Just do a Copy and Paste of the 2nd posting in this thread into Word and then hit print
    - Mntsnow -

Respect turns into AWE with the twist of the Throttle!

That's a good idea but it's also a good idea to read the entire thread. There are some other helpful hints along the way.

I would then C & P those helpful hints into the word document along with the main info but I guess I try to give others more credit than I should in the smarts department
    - Mntsnow -

Respect turns into AWE with the twist of the Throttle!

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mntsnow View Post
    I would then C & P those helpful hints into the word document along with the main info but I guess I try to give others more credit than I should in the smarts department

This sounds helpful, How about for all of us dummies maybe you could reconstruct the best points and start a printable version of this thread and have board support make it into a sticky where there are no other replies? I dont even think I have word on my puter LOL at least I have never used it
    Bully Bagger

OK I tried to do this MOD with VERY limited tools and by myself. I jacked it up..... Everything was going fine until I had to remove the frame bolts. On the right side the two lower ones and one of the top by the horn simply will not break loose. I got the the very top one loose, but the lower one (Pic) I stripped the nut something fierce. I don't know what to do now, what is a good way to remove that stupid stripped nut and loosen the other ones. I got the left mount out already, but cannot go on to do the right side mount. Also, this is what my left mount looks like, curious how bad the right side will be I got 27,500 miles on my bike right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0207.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	57734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0209.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	57735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0208.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	57736  
    Last edited by Gigantor; 01-07-2012 at 05:02 PM.

OK I tried to do this MOD with VERY limited tools and by myself. I jacked it up..... Everything was going fine until I had to remove the frame bolts. On the right side the two lower ones and one of the top by the horn simply will not break loose. I got the the very top one loose, but the lower one (Pic) I stripped the nut something fierce. I don't know what to do now, what is a good way to remove that stupid stripped nut and loosen the other ones. I got the left mount out already, but cannot go on to do the right side mount. Also, this is what my left mount looks like, curious how bad the right side will be I got 27,500 miles on my bike right now.
    I had the same problem. I sprayed some wd40 on the nut and waited about 15 minutes then it came off with ease.

What is everyone doing with there old mounts after replacing them? I'm working on a mold for polyurethane.

Mine are still sitting on my tool box. Send me your address, and I"ll get them out to you.

-Josh

If you have one of the upper ones out you should be able to get a pair of vise grips on the other one. On the lower bolts on the right side I stuck an Allen wrench in and stepped on it and crack they come loose. On the nuts it's best if you use a 6-point wrench.

Vise grips, and stepping on the allen wrench, I will try that tomorrow. I feel so bad that I did not manage to get it done and ride today. Thanks for the advice. Thats why I love this board

I ran into the same problem today, only difference being I stripped the lower bolts on right side, became so frustrated I decided to quit for the day, figured I'll try again tomorrow. Had no problems witht the 5 other bolts.

Default Allen head bolts

Yeah, it can be real hard to loosen these bolts for the first time, especially with an L shaped allen wrench. A set of metric allen sockets from Sears really helps. Put it in the hole and tap it in real good with a hammer to make sure it's seated all the way before you attach a breaker bar. If it's not fully seated, it will strip much easier.
    Worse case, drill off the head of the bolt, and you should be able to grip the end and turn it out after it's apart.
    These factory bolts have a little tang that breaks off the first time they are removed, it's sort of a lock nut. That's why they are so hard to start,(and you hear a snap) and they say to use new ones after removal. BS I say, just use blue locktite when reinstalling like every other bolt. Mine are still tight. I guess they don't trust the factory to use locktite, I can't see any other reason for this moronic set up.
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

That's what did it. I bought a allen socket set and used my 1/2 in drive ratchet, BAM all the bolts came right off. Now I need to buy the new nuts, which I stripped out, and some blue locktite and I will put the beast back together as soon as I can uncover it with all this crappy weather. Thanks for all the help, on this MOD and quick responses. I love this place. I even found out to use the dishsoap to push the new ounts in with here. Like a OJ Simpson glove, fit right in nice and tight.

Ok, so I finished putting everything together during my lunch time, hit a few snags but nothing major since I was doing this MOD by myself in my backyard. I take the bike out and it responds so much better and yes the severe vibration is almost non-existent. The main difference I felt was that my shifting has gotten SSSOOOOO much easier from 1st to 2nd and even the dreaded 3rd to 2nd shift is much better now. It almost feels like the transmission falls into those gears. Plus I learned alot about my bike, I am not afraid to tackle anything on that now. Everybody with more than 10,000 miles should do this MOD.

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

Metric Allen Sockets and a breaker bar makes the job much easier.

I changed my coolant at the same time by disconnecting the 2 lower rad hoses since my bike is an 08 model and the coolant is getting to the end of its lifespan anyways. The added benefit is that it makes access to the frame bolts and other stuff in that area much easier. Don't forget to pull the hose on the overflow resevoir as well.
    Last edited by CanadianM109R; 01-18-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!