The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to... - Page 3
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The #1 mod you can do to this bike....motor mount how to...

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazytrain View Post
    ....and installed my GMan battery tender.
    With the amount of electrical gadgets you got on your bike you do realize it could power 12 small villages in East Africa! What do you have a "Flux Capacitor" on that damn bike or what ...............

Congrats on the new motor mount install!

-
    Last edited by GeorgiaRoller; 08-15-2011 at 10:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Giddyup109 and myself tackled my motor mounts tonight. First, I want to thank Bobby for the great write up. It made go pretty easy. My bike has 41k miles on it. What we found is half of the mounts looked brand new and the other half were completely warn down to metal. Inside my swingarm is perfect and there is nothing noticeable on the bike that would make me think they were bad other than the vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    Giddyup109 and myself tackled my motor mounts tonight. First, I want to thank Bobby for the great write up. It made go pretty easy. My bike has 41k miles on it. What we found is half of the mounts looked brand new and the other half were completely warn down to metal. Inside my swingarm is perfect and there is nothing noticeable on the bike that would make me think they were bad other than the vibration.
    Looks like those shoulda (that's slang for should have) been replaced about 30K miles ago.

I think you need a new mechanic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    Looks like those shoulda (that's slang for should have) been replaced about 30K miles ago.

I think you need a new mechanic.
    Says the guy who thought it was normal to look under his fender and be able to see his taillight

Says the guy who thought it was normal to look under his fender and be able to see his taillight
    Hey! Hey! You stop it. I've had just about enough of your crap. How the hell was I suppose to know the prior owner was such a moron to take the whole inner fender out to de-beaver it. I like things held on with zip ties so I thought it was normal to have the rear fender strapped down with them.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    Hey! Hey! You stop it. I've had just about enough of your crap. How the hell was I suppose to know the prior owner was such a moron to take the whole inner fender out to de-beaver it. I like things held on with zip ties so I thought it was normal to have the rear fender strapped down with them.
    Hey, I am not blaming you bro. Anyone that knows how to work on bikes easily would have known that wasn't right. I surely would not have expected YOU to pick up on it

Hey, I am not blaming you bro. Anyone that knows how to work on bikes easily would have known that wasn't right. I surely would not have expected YOU to pick up on it
    And your vote of confidence in my abilities has me dancing gleefully.

When I get done dancing, I'm gonna go and enjoy myself a little more.

You just make me sooooooo happy! Thanks Big P! You're just the best!

Very Active Member

On a less serious note, Giddyup109 and myself went on a nice 30 mile ride. I am actually in love with my 109 again. I have it for sale currently on craigslist. Now, I am rethinking it. The shakes that I was getting....mostly gone. It is very very smooth, just like the day I bought it. I actually not explain how excited I am and how much difference it did make. I believe if you have 10k on it, you are to the point to at least check. 20k it is definitely time to have it done. I had 40k and I wish I had did it 20k ago.

.... I am actually in love with my 109 again.. The shakes that I was getting....mostly gone. It is very very smooth, just like the day I bought it. I actually not explain how excited I am and how much difference it did make. .....

That's pretty much how I felt, too. I'm glad that you are enjoying your bike again. This is why I feel like this is the "#1, must do mod".

HD ETR

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    That's pretty much how I felt, too. I'm glad that you are enjoying your bike again. This is why I feel like this is the "#1, must do mod".
    It definitely is the #1 must do mod at the 10k mile mark or after

Los Alamitos in Orange County, So. Cal "The O C"

got me convenced Im doing it with the harder ones
    08,M109R2[250 Dunnie, PC3, stebel air horn, K&Ns, flame mirrors, debaged, gutted pipes, suzuki engine guards, piaa hyperwhite headlight, back off modulator, gipro atre, front motor mounts, debeavered, Kuryakyn Iso Grips, Factory Pro star kit, G-Man shifter bushing, Guardian Bell, Catch can mod....... more to come

I picked my motor mounts up from the dealer today, along with some exhaust gaskets. I should have them in by the weekend, if I can motivate myself to get up early enough before work to get them swapped out.

-Josh

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    I picked my motor mounts up from the dealer today, along with some exhaust gaskets. I should have them in by the weekend, if I can motivate myself to get up early enough before work to get them swapped out.

-Josh
    I pm'd bobby to put this info in his thread. When you get to the 2 frame bolts behind the radiator, it is almost impossible to get an allen socket on them. We put a regular allen wrench in there and then used a wrench on the nut. When tightening down, Mike just held and put as much pressure on the wrench. I then took a rubber mallot and smacked the allen until I knew it was tight. It calls for 36 ft/lbs and I know that I am passed that. I torque everything but I wasn't draining the antifreeze and undoing the bottom radiator hose.

On other thing we found was when it was time to put the left foot peg bracket on (shifter side), no matter what we tried it would not align up to put both bolts in. I loosened up the motor mount bolt so that bracket could move a little and we put the jack right on that. It lined right back up and then we were done.

On other thing we found was when it was time to put the left foot peg bracket on (shifter side), no matter what we tried it would not align up to put both bolts in. I loosened up the motor mount bolt so that bracket could move a little and we put the jack right on that. It lined right back up and then we were done.
    Mine was the same way. Wondered if I did something wrong or if the frame was tweaked a little. Glad I'm not alone

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woody109 View Post
    Mine was the same way. Wondered if I did something wrong or if the frame was tweaked a little. Glad I'm not alone
    I was talking to Trod on the phone about it yesterday. He figures that because the back motor mounts are probably a tiny bit worn, and the new ones up front, it may have it out of alignment just a little.

We need a write up on changing the rear mounts. I know mine are worn since the left side covers don't line up exactly right. Maybe it's time to do this myself. Just hate to while there is still great riding weather.

Very Active Member

We need a write up on changing the rear mounts. I know mine are worn since the left side covers don't line up exactly right. Maybe it's time to do this myself. Just hate to while there is still great riding weather.
    I believe, and could be wrong, you need to remove the motor to do them.

I think it can be done without removing the motor but need to remove the secondary drive assembly. Plus the exhaust so there is enough room to twist the motor. Oh and the air box so you can lift the motor high enough. While your at it maybe the battery box for a little extra room. Ahhhh, the he// with it. Just remove the motor. That's why I don't want to do it til fall.

Very Active Member

I think it can be done without removing the motor but need to remove the secondary drive assembly. Plus the exhaust so there is enough room to twist the motor. Oh and the air box so you can lift the motor high enough. While your at it maybe the battery box for a little extra room. Ahhhh, the he// with it. Just remove the motor. That's why I don't want to do it til fall.
    lol, yea you are right. By the time you get to that, might as well just pull it off. I may do mine for kicks over the winter but not sure.

On a less serious note, Giddyup109 and myself went on a nice 30 mile ride. I am actually in love with my 109 again. I have it for sale currently on craigslist. Now, I am rethinking it. The shakes that I was getting....mostly gone. It is very very smooth, just like the day I bought it. I actually not explain how excited I am and how much difference it did make. I believe if you have 10k on it, you are to the point to at least check. 20k it is definitely time to have it done. I had 40k and I wish I had did it 20k ago.
    I'm at 23k and just bought the parts to do this. Now I need to find some free time. That is a precious commidity.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVZuki View Post
    I'm at 23k and just bought the parts to do this. Now I need to find some free time. That is a precious commidity.
    Set the smoker and let it ride. You need 3 hours so you will be fine

Set the smoker and let it ride. You need 3 hours so you will be fine
    Excellent idea!

I did mine this morning, with 33,551 miles on the bike. I guess I really didn't notice the vibration as much. But, now that it's gone, I can feel the difference. Took me about an hour to do mine. I also put in some exhaust gaskets. Apparently, whoever put the Big Shots on forgot to put the gaskets back on. When I switched over to the side burner, I got a really bad decel pop. I thought it was cool at first, seing flames popping out of the exhaust. But now that's all gone. I'd say the motor mount swap is a lot like the 160/60 front tire mod. You can't really explain the difference. You just have to do it to feel it.

-Josh
    Last edited by gottattooz; 08-18-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    I did mine this morning, with 33,551 miles on the bike. I guess I really didn't notice the vibration as much. But, now that it's gone, I can feel the difference. Took me about an hour to do mine. I also put in some exhaust gaskets. Apparently, whoever put the Big Shots on forgot to put the gaskets back on. When I switched over to the side burner, I got a really bad decel pop. I thought it was cool at first, seing flames popping out of the exhaust. But now that's all gone. I'd say the motor mount swap is a lot like the 160/60 front tire mod. You can't really explain the difference. You just have to do it to feel it.

-Josh
    an hour? was that from start to finish or just undoing the bolt and pulling out the old and in with the new? LOL

I agree. If you did this in an hour....You might wanna double check that everything is tight and good to go. Either that or let my ex be the first to ride it!

an hour? was that from start to finish or just undoing the bolt and pulling out the old and in with the new? LOL
    Start to finish. I thought it'd be a simple swap, even after reading BobbyMac's write-up. Took a little longer than I thought, but it wasn't difficult in the least.

-Josh

Very Active Member

I agree. If you did this in an hour....You might wanna double check that everything is tight and good to go. Either that or let my ex be the first to ride it!
    Not saying he didn't but I cannot see doing this in under 2 hours with putting everything back together. I very well may be wrong as I tend to take my time and double check everything but still...

Not saying he didn't but I cannot see doing this in under 2 hours with putting everything back together. I very well may be wrong as I tend to take my time and double check everything but still...
    Sounds like I have a time challenge when I do mine

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVZuki View Post
    Sounds like I have a time challenge when I do mine
    Let's see what you got

Let's see what you got
    Now if only the stealer could get both motor mounts instead of just the 1 they received so I could do this.