Cobra Powrpro Autotuner Review - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 335

Thread: Cobra Powrpro Autotuner Review

  1. #61
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    6,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    Okay So has anyone done a comparison I'd the PC5 and Cobra? Curious.
    No, not that I have heard.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #62
    Very Active Member Wild Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    As far as dyno numbers, unless you are racing the bike at the track and chasing times....who cares. If the pc5 gives you 5 more horsepower, you will never know the difference. Get the cobra and be done with it. You don't have to have a bung welded in to your pipes and the reviews are glowing on it.

    Welding the bung in is no problem. I welded for 30 years before I retired. I just would like to know how they stack up. I agree a couple of horse doesn't matter much. It is more about how well this system adjusts the fuel mixture.

    By the time I get around to ordering there should be a lot more information.
    Live to ride

  4. #63
    Very Active Member dre319's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,303

    Default

    Well I'm probably going to order the Cobra autotuner later this evening. I called Phat Per and they said it's back ordered till the end of August. If i order it now I'll have it first part of Sept he says. So we shall see. Anyone else have it in stock right now?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #64
    Very Active Member Boudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    I took the new bike to the dyno last weekend. Tornadoes, Cobra Power pro and 2 into 1 with a supertrapp pipe that I bought from "Topher". 10" wheel and a Metz 280. 120hp 108tq.
    Before I broke the beast I had it dynoed with the PCIII avd a custom tune and then the Cobra. Turned the same numbers with both the units!!!!
    I really like the cobra!!!!!
    Kenny
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

    Fast!!!

  7. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    arkansas
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
    I took the new bike to the dyno last weekend. Tornadoes, Cobra Power pro and 2 into 1 with a supertrapp pipe that I bought from "Topher". 10" wheel and a Metz 280. 120hp 108tq.
    Before I broke the beast I had it dynoed with the PCIII avd a custom tune and then the Cobra. Turned the same numbers with both the units!!!!
    I really like the cobra!!!!!
    Kenny
    sure would like too see pics of the bike

  8. #66
    Active Member Hape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Hi.
    I installed my cobra today and tested it a short run. Woow what a different
    It goes so smooth and it feels my bike has more power now.
    Someone want a PC3

    How low can you go?

  9. #67
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
    I took the new bike to the dyno last weekend. Tornadoes, Cobra Power pro and 2 into 1 with a supertrapp pipe that I bought from "Topher". 10" wheel and a Metz 280. 120hp 108tq.
    Before I broke the beast I had it dynoed with the PCIII avd a custom tune and then the Cobra. Turned the same numbers with both the units!!!!
    I really like the cobra!!!!!
    Kenny

    That is some great news!!

    I live at about 1000ft elevation here in AZ. I was on a ride at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon a month ago. The bike ran well at 8000ft, but she certainly didn't feel like down low. And the whole time I'm wondering if I should change the pots down a click, cause they have to be running rich, right? Then, I'm thinking I will be back off the Rim in an hour, so is it worth even messing with it?

    Now, I did enjoy the scenery and carving the twisties waaaay more than worrying about the fuel processing. But, just the fact that it crossed my mind, and knowing that this unit is out there, makes me want one.

    One of the best things about this unit is she will lean or richen herself as necessary when riding in changing conditions. Certainly the auto tune of the PC5 could do it, but that is conditioned and limited to having a map available in the programming that could optimize the conditions. With this unit, it just learns the new atmospheric pressures, including the changes introduced into the mix by our changing parts, and adjusts accordingly. "Simply" brilliant.

    I can hardly wait for the supply to get back in the market. I want one now.

    I'm still hoping Cobra or someone, couples an accelerometer with the unit which could give "real time" instant feedback of our modding. Or, even without an accelerometer, if the unit is measuring the crank speed and making adjustments accordingly, why couldn't it have a memory bank and provide a data trail of feedback that basically reports whether the bike is getting faster or slower? Something to think about for you engineers out there that could figure out how to hack this thing.

    Of course now while writing this my pea size brain is catching up to my fingers and realizing that the crank speed data would be affected by gravity. Hmmm... so, ultimately the accelerometer would provide the most accurate data.

    MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  10. #68
    Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    rockford Il.
    Posts
    3,127

    Default

    Just recieved mine, Pc3 for sale soon.
    Bully Bagger

  11. #69
    Very Active Member Canuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Has anyone pulled their plugs to see if they are in good shape. (Rich or lean)?
    Wondering if the great reviews also match the condition of the plugs.

  12. #70
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockfordrider View Post
    Just recieved mine, Pc3 for sale soon.
    Does this mean they are back in stock? Where did you get yours from? Thanks. MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  13. #71
    Radio Active Member rynosback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Traveling America
    Posts
    27,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    Does this mean they are back in stock? Where did you get yours from? Thanks. MT
    I know Cobra had a shipment that shipped out several weeks ago to retailers.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

  14. #72
    Very Active Member dre319's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,303

    Default

    I called Phat today and they said that it should be next week hopefully that I should get it. We shall see.

  15. #73
    Radio Active Member rynosback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Traveling America
    Posts
    27,607

    Default

    They state 5 in stock. And they are in SOUTHERN MD.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fi200...item519a9244db
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

  16. #74
    Very Active Member lincoln1003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Little Falls, MN
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    They state 5 in stock. And they are in SOUTHERN MD.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fi200...item519a9244db
    i sent them an email and offered to take all 5 for a discount if they respond i would pass the saving along, now i will wait and see
    Last edited by lincoln1003; 09-07-2011 at 12:19 AM.
    08 109 Candy Max Orange, Vance & hines Big shots and fuelpak, Arlen Ness big suckers, debeaved

  17. #75
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    I believe that is the same site that many have found, to their chagrin, they have misled the public with their offering. They are out, too!

    I guess I will place an order with Phat and cross my fingers that my order will be filled before they are out, again. Or perhaps, if I order direct with Cobra, I can pay a higher price but get one as they come off the line. Hmm....decisions.

    MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  18. #76
    Very Active Member kwivrme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    EARTH
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    I have one on order from another source and will see if it gets shipped or backordered, I will let you all know ..........

  19. #77
    Very Active Member Cormierone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chester Virginia
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
    Has anyone pulled their plugs to see if they are in good shape. (Rich or lean)?
    Wondering if the great reviews also match the condition of the plugs.
    Canuk,

    I haven't pulled my plugs but I can tell you that my pipe has a tan color to it instead of the black sooty look it had before with the PCIII. The pipe looks clean and I can make the conclusion that the plugs are fine. The pipe looks like my KZ1000 when I ran racing gas, perfect tan color and the plugs matched.
    C-One
    Army of One
    SFC, Retired, Signal Corp.
    "Jesus is LORD!!!"
    " I'm Gods child and a Jesus kind of man"


  20. #78
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwivrme View Post
    I have one on order from another source and will see if it gets shipped or backordered, I will let you all know ..........
    Just got a reply from the folks at Phat. They said they are supposed to receive a shipment this week. They don't know if it will be large enough to accommodate all the back orders, but they said they wouldn't charge until they actually ship. So, I ordered one. Best case, I get a unit next week. Worst case, they run out again and I cancel and find one somewhere else.

    Either way, I'm in....eventually.

    MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  21. #79
    Very Active Member dre319's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    Just got a reply from the folks at Phat. They said they are supposed to receive a shipment this week. They don't know if it will be large enough to accommodate all the back orders, but they said they wouldn't charge until they actually ship. So, I ordered one. Best case, I get a unit next week. Worst case, they run out again and I cancel and find one somewhere else.

    Either way, I'm in....eventually.

    MT
    That's what they told me too. Except i ordered one close to a month ago so I hope I'm one of the few to get one.

  22. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    I believe that is the same site that many have found, to their chagrin, they have misled the public with their offering. They are out, too!


    MT
    Yep they listed stock took your cash and then said they would be a couple of weeks.
    got my cash refunded with no reply to my email asking how they could list what they dont have.

  23. #81
    Very Active Member lincoln1003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Little Falls, MN
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    I believe that is the same site that many have found, to their chagrin, they have misled the public with their offering. They are out, too!

    I guess I will place an order with Phat and cross my fingers that my order will be filled before they are out, again. Or perhaps, if I order direct with Cobra, I can pay a higher price but get one as they come off the line. Hmm....decisions.

    MT

    Dear lincoln1003,

    Unfortunately, this item is currently on back order for at least two more weeks. Feel free to email me back at that time for availability and a discount.

    Thanks,
    GM Cycles Inc.

    - gm-cycles
    Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply




    08 109 Candy Max Orange, Vance & hines Big shots and fuelpak, Arlen Ness big suckers, debeaved

  24. #82
    Very Active Member TRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McPherson, KS
    Posts
    6,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    I'm still hoping Cobra or someone, couples an accelerometer with the unit which could give "real time" instant feedback of our modding. Or, even without an accelerometer, if the unit is measuring the crank speed and making adjustments accordingly, why couldn't it have a memory bank and provide a data trail of feedback that basically reports whether the bike is getting faster or slower? Something to think about for you engineers out there that could figure out how to hack this thing.

    Of course now while writing this my pea size brain is catching up to my fingers and realizing that the crank speed data would be affected by gravity. Hmmm... so, ultimately the accelerometer would provide the most accurate data.

    MT
    Crank speed is just as valuable as acceleration (in my opinion more so). You're just taking one from one source and the other from another source. Reading crank speed is vastly easier. Affected by gravity? Don't know where that came from. How is it affected by gravity? How is acceleration any more accurate than reading the acceleration (or de-acceleration) of the crank?

    Sorry man, just don't get it.

  25. #83
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    Crank speed is just as valuable as acceleration (in my opinion more so). You're just taking one from one source and the other from another source. Reading crank speed is vastly easier. Affected by gravity? Don't know where that came from. How is it affected by gravity? How is acceleration any more accurate than reading the acceleration (or de-acceleration) of the crank?

    Sorry man, just don't get it.
    Well, If the bike is pointed downhill it is going to spin up faster than if it is pointed uphill. Agree? That is how gravity would affect readings off the crank speed of whether the bike got faster or slower from more power or earth's effect on mass-- the bike and rider.

    An accelerometer, on the other hand, would not be affected by the gravitational pulls of hills, because it is essentially measuring gravitational forces. I think I am wrapping my mind around this, but stand corrected, if not. It sounds counter intuitive, though.

    My son is a physics and mechanical engineering major. I will ask him about this on Sunday when he comes over.
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  26. #84
    Very Active Member g9r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee / North Carolina Mountains
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    All of this is new to me as I bought my first 9 back in June. I have what I guess will be a pretty simple question...

    Why would I need to modify my 9 in this way from stock? In other words, why do I need this product or any of the other varieties of this type of product?

    I plead ignorance.

  27. #85
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Need? You don't need any of these aftermarket things, until you start purchasing them. Then, as my title states, it (the need for mods) along with riding your bike, becomes an addiction.

    Just turn off the computer and walk away. Get on your bike and ride it. Never come back and you won't know what you are missing.

    Once you start, the lunacy begins. This thread is a great example of how we can go full tilt over obtaining every last measurable horsepower that this bike can produce.

    Run away. Don't walk. You can plan and execute an exotic vacation with your significant other, or you can bolt stuff on your bike. Most of us here have, sadly, chosen the latter.

    I have no regrets, though!

    MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  28. #86
    Very Active Member TRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McPherson, KS
    Posts
    6,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    Well, If the bike is pointed downhill it is going to spin up faster than if it is pointed uphill. Agree? That is how gravity would affect readings off the crank speed of whether the bike got faster or slower from more power or earth's effect on mass-- the bike and rider.

    An accelerometer, on the other hand, would not be affected by the gravitational pulls of hills, because it is essentially measuring gravitational forces. I think I am wrapping my mind around this, but stand corrected, if not. It sounds counter intuitive, though.

    My son is a physics and mechanical engineering major. I will ask him about this on Sunday when he comes over.
    An accelerometer would be just as affected by hills. The bike would be faster/slower just as the crank would. It's all the same. Don't matter where you measure it, it's the same.

    What the unit will do in downhill is look at the crank speed change from one reading to the next, determine if the fuel needs to be increased or decreased based on the next reading (and it's reading pretty darn fast) and make the adjustment. It's also reading the pulse width of the signal from the ECU to the injector to know how wide the throttle is open (or an approximation thereof) to know if it's being commanded to accelerate or de-accelerate. Lots of math going on each time it takes a reading.

    I really don't think you will need to worry about that scenario anyway. I am confident that Cobra has worked that issue out. The FI2000 is a testament to that.

  29. #87
    Very Active Member TRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McPherson, KS
    Posts
    6,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    Okay So has anyone done a comparison I'd the PC5 and Cobra? Curious.
    If it will ever come off backorder I will have a dyno comparison to the Cobra.

  30. #88
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    An accelerometer would be just as affected by hills. The bike would be faster/slower just as the crank would. It's all the same. Don't matter where you measure it, it's the same.

    What the unit will do in downhill is look at the crank speed change from one reading to the next, determine if the fuel needs to be increased or decreased based on the next reading (and it's reading pretty darn fast) and make the adjustment. It's also reading the pulse width of the signal from the ECU to the injector to know how wide the throttle is open (or an approximation thereof) to know if it's being commanded to accelerate or de-accelerate. Lots of math going on each time it takes a reading.

    I really don't think you will need to worry about that scenario anyway. I am confident that Cobra has worked that issue out. The FI2000 is a testament to that.
    I'll go back to my original thought which was I wish there was some digital feedback that would allow us to know if the "recent" bolt on made an improvement. I have no doubt that the unit will adjust to the best fuel mixture, but did the "recent" mod improve the performance.

    If there were instant feedback, whether from an accelerometer or the unit's measurements of crank acceleration, we would know if the mod was an improvement or not-- at least if we test it on the same road under the same weather conditions.

    I thought, but may be wrong, that an accelerometer recognizes inclination and changes in gravitational pull due to changes in inclination. But may be wrong. I will ask my smarter son, who knows all about this stuff.

    I think I will just pull the trigger on a G-Tech. I've been considering one of these since they came out in the early 90s.

    http://www.gtechpro.com/ss_fanatic.html

    No need to go to the dyno or the track between mods, and you can move it between vehicles, too. Not a bad price at $199, either.

    Anyone have one of these?
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  31. #89
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
    I took the new bike to the dyno last weekend. Tornadoes, Cobra Power pro and 2 into 1 with a supertrapp pipe that I bought from "Topher". 10" wheel and a Metz 280. 120hp 108tq.
    Before I broke the beast I had it dynoed with the PCIII avd a custom tune and then the Cobra. Turned the same numbers with both the units!!!!
    I really like the cobra!!!!!
    Kenny
    Not the PCV, but a PCIII. Is the PCV the autotune?
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

  32. #90
    Very Active Member TRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McPherson, KS
    Posts
    6,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    I'll go back to my original thought which was I wish there was some digital feedback that would allow us to know if the "recent" bolt on made an improvement. I have no doubt that the unit will adjust to the best fuel mixture, but did the "recent" mod improve the performance.

    If there were instant feedback, whether from an accelerometer or the unit's measurements of crank acceleration, we would know if the mod was an improvement or not-- at least if we test it on the same road under the same weather conditions.

    I thought, but may be wrong, that an accelerometer recognizes inclination and changes in gravitational pull due to changes in inclination. But may be wrong. I will ask my smarter son, who knows all about this stuff.

    I think I will just pull the trigger on a G-Tech. I've been considering one of these since they came out in the early 90s.

    http://www.gtechpro.com/ss_fanatic.html

    No need to go to the dyno or the track between mods, and you can move it between vehicles, too. Not a bad price at $199, either.

    Anyone have one of these?
    There's an app for that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->