Dyno Results and Mods "Dedicated Thread"
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dyno Results and Mods "Dedicated Thread"

Very Active Member

Default Dyno Results and Mods "Dedicated Thread"

Hey all. I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to dyno results, the mods, and if known-- the before and after results.

There seems to be some random posts with individual results, discussion and complements, but I can't find a thread that is dedicated solely to dyno results and added mods to achieve the gains.

If there is a thread like this maybe someone can find it and revive it. It would be nice to have one place to look and post as we get our machines tuned.

Realizing that the thread will be mostly just "interesting." vs. technically "helpful." It will still be cool to have a list of all the amazing power runs. Also, I think there are a number of enthusiasts out there that have done additional deep mods like porting and polishing, cams, NO2, turbos, etc. Those would be entertaining to see, too. C109 and M90 riders jump in and post, as well.

So, post away! Add pics of the dyno sheets, if possible, regardless, please cut and paste the following with your info if applicable:

HP/Torque:

Year:

Mods:

Fuel management and settings:

Before and after differences:

Location of shop and prices to tune:

1/4 mile times:

Additional comments, suggestions, and observations of your experience at the dyno:

Please add any other suggestions to make this an informative thread. I would start with my results, but haven't done it, yet. So, I'm looking forward to all the posts to get me motivated.

Thanks!

MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE . with that said: had this done last spring

Hyperchargers
    3/4 gutted exhaust
    Pc3
    Tuned (way too rich) will be redone this year
    Sae 5 if I remember
    118HP 109TQ
    Dyno jet certified machine and tech
    Bully Bagger

Very Active Member

QUOTE=Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE

Very true.... and most, I presume, will be similar numbers with similar mods, but should be interesting, non the less. I was looking last night at some very old threads, like some from '06 when the bikes were just rolling off the production lines and no one had any after market stuff, yet. They were showing Stock v. K & N runs with a 5-7 HP gain (which shoots the theory into the ground that these bikes are "running lean from the factory" and just increasing intake won't give you anything without added fuel to the added air.) I think LaMonster was one of the first to spend time with these on the Dyno. There were some other runs showing a 2-3 HP gain from only adding a TRE. Which I thought was interesting, since supposedly, the only thing a TRE does is fake the bike into thinking it's in 4th gear all the time. Don't you do a dyno pull in 4th gear, anyway? Maybe someone that is better than me with technology can pull some of these old threads into this one. If you search "dyno results" there are a lot of threads with discussions going way back to the beginning of 109 time.

So, yea, maybe a can of worms, but still an opportunity to gather everyone's info, including some of the original runs, way back in the day, with their ideas of what was working and why and put it in one place. Maybe, once there is enough data here, we can throw up a spreadsheet showing the different options of tuning and mods with their results. Knowledge is power, perhaps literally here. HA HA.

Cheers.

MT
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by MATT'sADDICTION; 05-11-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Here's Mine

Big air intakes
    Roadburner exhaust
    FI2000
    ATRE (don't really matter since dyno run is in 4th anyway)
    10K miles

2008 LE -
    Stock Run 111.52 HP, 98.93 Tq
    Big Shots, PCIII custom maping - 114.41, 103.1
    K&N w/ Ducks (aprox. full open cover) Custom maping - 121.12, 108.42.

All on the same Dyno with the Same Tuner/Mechanic.
    Last edited by Designflaw; 05-12-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Tried adding charts but to large
    2014 FLHXS Morroco Gold Pearl
    2008 Suzuki M109R
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R
    2003 Yamaha G22 Gas Golf Cart Jacked to the hilt

2013 RAM 1500 QC 4x4 Sport

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Designflaw View Post
    2008 LE -
    Stock Run 111.52 HP, 98.93 Tq
    Big Shots, PCIII custom maping - 114.41, 103.1
    K&N w/ Ducks (aprox. full open cover) Custom maping - 121.12, 108.42.

All on the same Dyno with the Same Tuner/Mechanic.
    Nice improvements. The exhaust, without intakes sure didn't do much, even with fuel management. But when you opened up the intake and gave her some fuel, WOW! Pretty much 10% increase. I would think those kind of changes you could definitely feel, right?

So, I'm wondering. Since doing my mods and playing around with the fi2000, I am able to break the rear tire loose if I gun it in 1st after already rolling (so, not using the clutch to do it), and if I'm in a lean starting or finishing a turn, that tire will let go real easy. This didn't happen for me when she was stock. Are these the kind of butt differences you are feeling? Also, I get a little spin at the 1-2 shift on hard accel.

Comments... anyone on real world ways of noticing power improvements. Any other definitive, objective methods you all are using to test and tune without dyno?

MT
    '07 M109R Bagger. Corbin Seats, Bags and Fairing, Engine Guards/Pegs, Custom Paint, Chrome Stockers, Big Air Intakes, Drilled Stock Exhaust, TFI Programmer, HIDs, 3"Risers, Stebel, Yada, Yada, Yada!!!

Yea, the air mad a big differnce to the mix. That is just proof of why you can do one or the other, but not both without some kind of fuel modification.

It is stronger without question, but the custom dyno work smoothed the throttle curve out to a nice slope. It will break the tire loose for sure without the clutch and I can roll a nice black line coming out of a curve.
    2014 FLHXS Morroco Gold Pearl
    2008 Suzuki M109R
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R
    2003 Yamaha G22 Gas Golf Cart Jacked to the hilt

2013 RAM 1500 QC 4x4 Sport

2008 R2, all tuning done by same shop/same dyno SAE 5

Stock: 106 hp, 101 ft/lbs tq

Mods:
    -K&N only 110.5 hp, 104 ft/lbs before exhaust
    -K&N, Hacker Mayhem, PCIII 116.6 hp, 110.7 ft/lbs

Roughly 3k miles on bike at the time
    Last edited by dgk1979; 05-20-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added dyno map
    '08 Black M109R2

Xoprodox Black Foam Spike XL Grips, De-beavered, De-stickered, Smoked integrated tail light, Radiantz LED license plate,Suzuki Carbon Gel Seats, Carbon Fiber tank bra

small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    QUOTE=Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE

Very true.... and most, I presume, will be similar numbers with similar mods, but should be interesting, non the less. I was looking last night at some very old threads, like some from '06 when the bikes were just rolling off the production lines and no one had any after market stuff, yet. They were showing Stock v. K & N runs with a 5-7 HP gain (which shoots the theory into the ground that these bikes are "running lean from the factory" and just increasing intake won't give you anything without added fuel to the added air.)

Cheers.

MT
    [/SIZE]
    You misunderstand the results...the 109 does run lean but only up to about 3500 rpm's then it gets rich...real rich at certain rpms...max power is not derived at lower rpm ranges so in the upper ranges where you tune for power is where the filters made more and that's where the a/f was richest to begin with...hope this clears this up for you.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    You misunderstand the results...the 109 does run lean but only up to about 3500 rpm's then it gets rich...real rich at certain rpms...max power is not derived at lower rpm ranges so in the upper ranges where you tune for power is where the filters made more and that's where the a/f was richest to begin with...hope this clears this up for you.
    Yep, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your comment.

MT

Very Active Member

bump

Very Active Member Screamnyellozonker's Avatar

This sounds fun. I will add dyno sheets as soon as I can get it on a dyno.
    Year 2008 LE
    Mods, Cobra 2000FI, GoPro ATRE, Edelbrocks, Raw Performance Black Short pipe.
    Fuel Settings Factory so far
    1/8 mile times [email protected]
    Dyno numbers TBD.
    John3:16 PGR Rider.
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty
    PC-V with Auto tune and quickshifter, Factory Pro shift star, Edelbrocks. 162 Hp 142 torque with the bottle.

Default My Results...question about redline

Here are my dyno results, the map I was using was off quite a bit! My question the dyno shows up to about 6600 rpm and top speed of 130, is that right or did he do something wrong. I have thunder tornados, tre, power commander and stock pipes with scorpion tips and small baffles added. My mechanic just added the gear indicator, maybe he got the wrong one (with tre built in?)

Last edited by topher; 07-01-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Chris(Topher)

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Here are my dyno results, the map I was using was off quite a bit! My question the dyno shows up to about 6600 rpm and top speed of 130, is that right or did he do something wrong. I have thunder tornados, tre, power commander and stock pipes with scorpion tips and small baffles added. My mechanic just added the gear indicator, maybe he got the wrong one (with tre built in?)
    He may not have been redlining it. He may have just stopped when the HP started to fall off. My guy didn't run it to redline either. He stopped when it reached peak HP.

Yeah! Your mixture was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off.

Holly Intakes, scorpion tips and pcIII

Sae 5

DDM Tuning 8000k hid,Modified Holley Intakes,Scorpion Tips,PCIII,Debeavered,Raw Design signal kit ,Backoff XP,TrackDay TRE4, $100 backrest mod

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    He may not have been redlining it. He may have just stopped when the HP started to fall off. My guy didn't run it to redline either. He stopped when it reached peak HP.

Yeah! Your mixture was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off.
    I guess so, I guess everyone should get a dyno and tune! I think i was using an old map from McCoy holley intakes and cobra swepts. I just added a new tach and it doesn't show redline, anyways I'm going back to the stock tach since the new one is led and I can't see it in the sun.

I would still think the HP won't dropoff until 7300 or 7500 rpm when the rev limited kicked in
    Last edited by topher; 07-01-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Chris(Topher)

Power peak and red line are two different things. Our bikes peak about 6800. So in 4th it is about 130 mph.
    As far as running rich I dropped my middle setting on the Cobra a bit and my ET is now [email protected]
    Maybe a can of worms but they are very interesting worms. Thanks for starting this.
    This ought to be a Sticky.
    Last edited by Screamnyellozonker; 07-01-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty
    PC-V with Auto tune and quickshifter, Factory Pro shift star, Edelbrocks. 162 Hp 142 torque with the bottle.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Screamnyellozonker View Post
    Power peak and red line are two different things. Our bikes peak about 6800. So in 4th it is about 130 mph.
    As far as running rich I dropped my middle setting on the Cobra a bit and my ET is now [email protected]
    Maybe a can of worms but they are very interesting worms. Thanks for starting this.
    How do we make it a "sticky?"

PS Still looking for someone with some before and after with the new Cobra Power Pro.

Very Active Member

[QUOTE=Screamnyellozonker;1489608]Power peak and red line are two different things. Our bikes peak about 6800. So in 4th it is about 130 mph.

At what rpm are you shifting when "screaming" your 1/8 mile runs. Are you just barely getting into third?

Quote Originally Posted by MATT'sADDICTION View Post
    How do we make it a "sticky?"

PS Still looking for someone with some before and after with the new Cobra Power Pro.
    Maybe PM lamonster
    Chris(Topher)

It may have been a little too rich to make max power. Most will disagree with me but a little leaner can make more power until it gets too lean then power drops off and engine destruction begins (if run that way for a long while).

For those interested there are some dyno apps available for android phones and I'm sure some for other smart phones as well. Don't know if any actually work or not but I' maybe someone can chime in that knows. Might be just what you need to help dial the bike in. I'm sure they are not exact but with gps and accelerometers its possible!

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    I guess so, I guess everyone should get a dyno and tune! I think i was using an old map from McCoy holley intakes and cobra swepts. I just added a new tach and it doesn't show redline, anyways I'm going back to the stock tach since the new one is led and I can't see it in the sun.

I would still think the HP won't dropoff until 7300 or 7500 rpm when the rev limited kicked in
    The power will drop off when the motor starts to run out of air mostly. If the intake system was larger and/or more efficient through the airbox, peak power might be a little higher in the RPM range. Cam timing/profile also has a lot to do with it also. The motor is making really good torque where you use it the most, in the midrange. If you want to raise the RPM where peak power happens, you're going to have to sacrifice some low end and move the peak torque up in the RPM range.

But, if you do that, there is little that it will do for rideability since you don't spend much time revved that high anyway.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    The power will drop off when the motor starts to run out of air mostly. If the intake system was larger and/or more efficient through the airbox, peak power might be a little higher in the RPM range. Cam timing/profile also has a lot to do with it also. The motor is making really good torque where you use it the most, in the midrange. If you want to raise the RPM where peak power happens, you're going to have to sacrifice some low end and move the peak torque up in the RPM range.

But, if you do that, there is little that it will do for rideability since you don't spend much time revved that high anyway.

Yep. Now you are starting to get into the benefits of variable valve timing and lift. The newer high performance autos are achieving the best of both worlds with this technology. For the rest, it's the new cam grinds at the expense of low end power. The track is really the only place where it's advantageous, unless you just want to say you have the most power.

MT

Here's my AFR with the Cobra F2000. Settings ended up at 2-2.5-0.

You will notice at about 6K the mixture starts getting rich because it's running out of air. By 6500, it's getting rich enough that power is dropping off. The cure for that could be improvements in the airbox (or taking it off and sticking the filters right on the throttle bodies) and/or cam profile changes. But, I ain't running it that high much of the time anyway.

Im going thru at about 5500 in third. Don't really look at the instruments very often. I will check the gear chart and see what 92 mph is in rpm.
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty

OK here is some hard core numbers for us to use
    Primary gear reduction 1.757 the following numbers will include the final drive ratio of 2.823 and a 25.5 inch tire on the speed
    First gear 10.84 speed at 7400 = 52 mph
    Second gear 6.91 speed at 7400 = 81 mph
    Third gear 5.13 speed at 7400 = 109 mph
    Fourth gear 4.09 speed at 7400 = 137 mph
    Fifth gear 3.38 speed at 7400 = 166 mph
    92 mph in third is 6600 rpm
    Hope that helps
    Bob
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty

Primary gear reduction 1.757 the following numbers will include the final drive ratio of 2.823 and a 25.5 inch tire on the speed
    Hope that helps
    Bob
    Damn you are really serious! Go for it and kick some ass! Keep us informed!
    Chris(Topher)

Very Active Member

Hope that helps
    Bob

So, have you found it fastest to run right up to redline before shifts?

Rpm drops shifting at 7400
    2nd gear [email protected] mph
    3rd gear [email protected] mph
    4th gear [email protected] mph
    5th gear [email protected] mph
    So far it has not done well short shifting. If you look at the power curves on the dyno sheets you will see short shifting first would drop you way down on the power curve. First gear is very deep.
    Bob
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty