M109 Rider Forums banner

Dyno Results and Mods "Dedicated Thread"

148K views 241 replies 73 participants last post by  Erwin K 
#1 ·
Hey all. I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to dyno results, the mods, and if known-- the before and after results.

There seems to be some random posts with individual results, discussion and complements, but I can't find a thread that is dedicated solely to dyno results and added mods to achieve the gains.

If there is a thread like this maybe someone can find it and revive it. It would be nice to have one place to look and post as we get our machines tuned.

Realizing that the thread will be mostly just "interesting." vs. technically "helpful." It will still be cool to have a list of all the amazing power runs. Also, I think there are a number of enthusiasts out there that have done additional deep mods like porting and polishing, cams, NO2, turbos, etc. Those would be entertaining to see, too. C109 and M90 riders jump in and post, as well.

So, post away! Add pics of the dyno sheets, if possible, regardless, please cut and paste the following with your info if applicable:

HP/Torque:

Year:

Mods:

Fuel management and settings:

Before and after differences:

Location of shop and prices to tune:

1/4 mile times:

Additional comments, suggestions, and observations of your experience at the dyno:

Please add any other suggestions to make this an informative thread. I would start with my results, but haven't done it, yet. So, I'm looking forward to all the posts to get me motivated.

Thanks!
:bigthumbsup:
MT

See less See more
Reactions: Peterpitbull74FCMC
#154 ·
I stand corrected

#155 ·
It's all good Pete, I was in a bit of a stressed mood at work when I responded earlier so if it came of snippy I apologize. Add to that the fact that this auto tuner isn't doing its job very well and I am just flummoxed.

Hopefully the Power Commander 5 will help out when we tune it correctly.

#156 ·
I wouldn't say it's not working well considering the readings you got. Those are pretty good with the mods you have.

I think the issue may be is the equipment they use to monitor the A/F ratio can't keep up with how rapidly the PowrPro is making changes to the mixture. It tunes it richer and richer until max power is achieved, then backs it off. It does this repeatedly up to several hundred times per second. I doubt their O2 sensors are collecting data at that rate.

Then you have the PC5, which has a static map based off throttle input and rpm, basically. Since you're running a dyno test at wide open throttle, I would expect it to show a more consitent A/F ratio.

It will be interesting to see the results. In the past there's been at most a couple hp difference between them, and that's well within the range a dyno can consistently measure. If you can post the dyno charts from both it would be interesting to compare them.

#157 ·
Well you can see an actual fall off in HP when it goes fat/rich. Is that just from the CO reading? When it went fat the HP dropped like a stone, ~35 HP, when it went back to normal or even a little lean the HP came back up to normal.

I'll try to get a copy of the original run from the dyno guys, I left my copy there as I knew I was coming back. I am pretty sure they have it stored for historical reasons.

This is my first experience with an auto tuner, and I have heard other people on this board with the same device say that their dynos looked great on the a/f and CO fronts, so to see mine provide such a crazy CO reading makes me a little suspicious.

#158 ·
That would be really interesting to see if you can get it. I've never seen a chart fall off by 35 hp on something that makes 123 hp, unless it was just tapering off at the end of the run. It sounds like you're saying it would dip at some rpm then pick back up? It really sounds like something else is going on there.

#160 ·
Ok so time for an update. The original tuner I used was a lying sack of s#it. I found out from a bunch of local people that he inflates his numbers by a /lot/, and was steered to another group that has a much better reputation with the local riders and racers. That being said the original guy wasn't wrong about some of the issues my bike is having...

Anyway, they did a baseline with the Fi2000 PowrPro and then did a full tune with the Power Commander 5. While the numbers are much lower I did see an increase with the Power Commander.

Fi2000 PowrPro:

RWHP 102.4
RWTQ 97.2

Power Commander 5

RWHP 105.3
RWTQ 102.6

Now I /still/ have a crater that starts around 2200 rpm and culminates around 3500 rpm, it recovers quickly after that but the tuner can't figure out what is going on. He thinks it is something in the ignition but he can't access that part of my ECU. Woolich doesn't have a flash for my year and no plans to make one in the near future. I am considering going with ECUnleashed but I don't know anything about them on the M109R. My brother-in-law is big in to sports bikes and he has nothing but great things to say about ECUnleashed though. They have a local dealer that I am going to talk to next week.

The tuner was also able to flatten out the fuel issue that the PowrPro seemed to have, you can see that the Power Commander is much flatter. That being said the hydrocarbons are off the fricken chart now but no more super rich to super lean to super rich happening. The tuner is certain that there is 10-15 hp hiding in the ignition section of the ECU.

Anyway I have attached the latest dyno run. The blue is the Power Commander, the red is the PowrPro.

#161 ·
Ok so time for an update. The original tuner I used was a lying sack of s#it. I found out from a bunch of local people that he inflates his numbers by a /lot/, and was steered to another group that has a much better reputation with the local riders and racers. That being said the original guy wasn't wrong about some of the issues my bike is having...

Anyway, they did a baseline with the Fi2000 PowrPro and then did a full tune with the Power Commander 5. While the numbers are much lower I did see an increase with the Power Commander.

Fi2000 PowrPro:

RWHP 102.4
RWTQ 97.2

Power Commander 5

RWHP 105.3
RWTQ 102.6

Now I /still/ have a crater that starts around 2200 rpm and culminates around 3500 rpm, it recovers quickly after that but the tuner can't figure out what is going on. He thinks it is something in the ignition but he can't access that part of my ECU. Woolich doesn't have a flash for my year and no plans to make one in the near future. I am considering going with ECUnleashed but I don't know anything about them on the M109R. My brother-in-law is big in to sports bikes and he has nothing but great things to say about ECUnleashed though. They have a local dealer that I am going to talk to next week.

The tuner was also able to flatten out the fuel issue that the PowrPro seemed to have, you can see that the Power Commander is much flatter. That being said the hydrocarbons are off the fricken chart now but no more super rich to super lean to super rich happening. The tuner is certain that there is 10-15 hp hiding in the ignition section of the ECU.

Anyway I have attached the latest dyno run. The blue is the Power Commander, the red is the PowrPro.
Was it run in 4th gear or 5th? If in 4th, the timing is better. That's assuming you don't have a TRE.

#162 ·
That is a 3rd gear run, which is where he tunes... dunno why he does it that way though.

FWIW I can feel the fall off in all gears in that range. It also seems much more pronounced as of late, but it could simply be because I know it is there.

#171 ·
baseline dyno.

Hi all.
I have a 2014 b.o.s.s and have decided to start upping the performance.
Im having a custom 2into1 exhaust system made by a local race exhaust manufacturer. Im also gonna be modding my air intake and fitting k&n. So before I fit the pc5 and custom map it, I thought I would do a baseline dyno today just to see how the bike performs standard.

The only mods on the bike are a tre and I drilled the baffles out of the standard pipes.

I was pleasantly surprised at the dyno results.., Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Paper
Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

96.85 lb and 110.48bhp at the wheel. Nice and strong so im looking forward to seeing the final figures once all the works done. Not only that but the curves were pretty spot on. A little bit lean low down but that will soon be rectified.

Im gonna go for individual maps for each cylinder.

On a side note, if anyone has photos of the raw performance short exhaust in black I would appreciate it.

#172 ·
Hi all.
I have a 2014 b.o.s.s and have decided to start upping the performance.
Im having a custom 2into1 exhaust system made by a local race exhaust manufacturer. Im also gonna be modding my air intake and fitting k&n. So before I fit the pc5 and custom map it, I thought I would do a baseline dyno today just to see how the bike performs standard.

The only mods on the bike are a tre and I drilled the baffles out of the standard pipes.

I was pleasantly surprised at the dyno results.., View attachment 203914 View attachment 203922

96.85 lb and 110.48bhp at the wheel. Nice and strong so im looking forward to seeing the final figures once all the works done. Not only that but the curves were pretty spot on. A little bit lean low down but that will soon be rectified.

Im gonna go for individual maps for each cylinder.

On a side note, if anyone has photos of the raw performance short exhaust in black I would appreciate it.
Any idea why they cut off the pull at around 6700 rpm? If they pulled in 5th it would cut off around there without the TRE, but with it, it should go to around 7400 rpm. Or if they pull it in 4th it would go to redline too.

#173 ·
That's a very good point. I never even noticed what rpm it died off at. I'll find out what gear he pulled the run in and then check to see that the tre is OK.

#177 ·
It's definitely the GP-tre causing the 6500rev limit in fourth.

if I pull the tre fuse the bike still rev to the red line in the first four gears. Replace the fuse and it only revs to 6500 in every gear.

So I'll be dismantling the tre and making sure the resistor is 2k7 ohm and not as I suspect 6k8. 6k8 would emulate 5th and therefore cause the 6500 limit to be applied. Pain in the ass, but easily remedied.

Once done I can dyno it again

#179 ·
Dyno results after installing PCV

So I installed the Power Commander 5 a few weeks back. With the factory map my bike was running so fat. I can feel the power difference, but I needed to richen it up a bit. Took it to SuperBike for a Dyno Tune. They had to remove the baffles on my Big Shots to get the probe in. The result with baffles out before tuning was 109.08 HP. After tuning it is at 113.48 HP. It feels like way more than that. I am going to drill a little hole in the tips of the baffles and have them check it out one more time with baffles in. I want the Dyno tune to be more accurate.

#181 ·
Fuel mileage improved with a little more flow through the exhaust.

After drilling a small hole in the baffles, I noticed an increase in my fuel mileage (back up to 33 to 35 mpg). With the open intakes and baffles in, I think the engine wasn't breathing well before. I think the extra hole in the baffles helped. :bigthumbsup:

#184 ·
2007 M109R Dad's bike but, he is internet challenged but I wanted to share
Mine 2007 M109R stock, just bought it yesterday.

Arlen Ness big suckers, Vance and Hines big shots still with baffles, power commander(not sure which series), timing retard eliminator, full tune,

126.1 Hp (rwhp)

121 ft lbs tq

Video of dyno:

#185 ·
Those are pretty high numbers. It must have been done on a Harley Dyno! :D

#186 ·
Might be the tuner. His website is in the video I posted. Check his pedigree. Maybe you are right it was a Harley dyno. A procharged street glide went on the dyno after his. And put up 140hp. I like to think that is realistic numbers being supercharged. So I have confidence it is accurate. Maybe it's his combination of after market performance parts. They all just work perfectly together. Who knows. They guys tuned thousands of bike. I'll take his word for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.