280 Rear on Stock Rim?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 280 Rear on Stock Rim?

Default 280 Rear on Stock Rim?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did do a search and could not find a topic on it.

Does anyone have a 280 rear tire on the stock 8.5" rim? If so, do you have any pictures you can provide? How does the ride feel compared to the stock 240 tire?

I'm looking to possibly do a 280 rear on the stock rim but have heard mixed reviews about the look, feel, and performance. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

DOESNT F'in WORK!!! it is in a search!!!!!

I'm just going to sit back and let the debate begin. As much as this has been discussed, I can't believe you couldn't find any threads by searching.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default 280 ON STOCK WHEEL

Quote Originally Posted by PR4YME View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did do a search and could not find a topic on it.

Does anyone have a 280 rear tire on the stock 8.5" rim? If so, do you have any pictures you can provide? How does the ride feel compared to the stock 240 tire?

I'm looking to possibly do a 280 rear on the stock rim but have heard mixed reviews about the look, feel, and performance. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    CHECK AVATAR GOT NEW SHOES STILL TRYING IT OUT DONE ABOUT 600KM SO FAR CANT TELL RIGHT NOW BUT THE RIDE IS MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK SOPOSIVELY IF YOU GO WITH 280 AND 160 IN FRONT

Quote Originally Posted by CMHGUY View Post
    I just tried the search, all kinds a crap comes up but not the right info.

I tried
    280 rear tire
    280 rear on a stock rim

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Dang it Eric, you beat me to it!!!

I searched for "oil" the other day in the Shop Talk forum and Nothing!

The search is not reliable and generally sucks.

Yeah whats the big deal...The best way to search on this site is go to Google and add m109riders.com. But if it was in the search, I don't see the big deal of telling someone where it is... If you don't want to be bothered by the post then just ignore it...
    My Mods: |Cobra Swept Exhaust|Kuryakyn Grips|2in Lowering Bones|240 Rear Wheel|Polished Wheels|Blackend Hub|Debeavered |Shayne SideMount Plate|Snake Head Low Profile Turn Signals (Rear set relocated under frame plate)|New Set of Metzler ME 880|....To be continued

The search feature on this site does suck but sometimes it helps to search like this "280 on stock wheel" With quotation marks and all. It brings up several old post. Not sure why that helps but it does.

Default 280 ON STOCK WHEEL

BAD BAD BAD IT IS ONLY HIS FIRST POST HELP THE GUY OUT RATHER SAY WELCOME FIRST

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126079 This is the link to Hink's Frequently Asked Questions. There is a lot of good info in there, including info on the largest tire for your rear stock rim.

Try your local Suzuki dealer. They might install a 280 for you.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I say just do it and keep everyone here updated on how well it works for you!

There has been a lot of discussion about a 280 on a stock rim. Some run it and say it's all good. Others have tried and ended up with weird edge wear. I'm pretty sure that the tire needs to run at a higher pressure than it's designed for to get it wear better.

As for mounted width, the 280 is nearly the same width as a 250 Dunlop when on a stock rim. So, if that's what you're after, a 280 don't help much.

Based on what I've read, a 280 on a stock rim probably isn't the best idea. However, there are those that will disagree because they have run it with no issues. There are also those running car tires on bikes and they will make the same case.

Personally, I will never try it (a 280 on a stock rim or a car tire on any motorcycle). I am quite happy with a 250 and I think so is the tire.

Very Active Member purvistechie's Avatar

You need to use quotes in the search for it to work correctly. " "

Actually I have an easier way to find subject matter relating to the 280 rear. Just look for posts by "shesrealfinemy109", you will find that 90% relate to this subject.

Come on she'srealfine/sandym109.......waiting for you to jump in an tell this guy how great the 280 works on your bike, regardless of what everyone else's experience is!
    Last edited by purvistechie; 03-23-2011 at 02:55 PM.

OLD - RED 07 loaded, NEW - 2015 StreetGlide Special Black Denim Dropped Bags, CVO Rear Fender, Passenger Boards, Chop Tour Pack, Driver Back Rest, Stage 3 BOOM! Audio, Full Sac Headers, Tuner, Exhaust.

Not worth the drama or the hassel. If you got stock (or even stock size) rims, go Metlzer with 260 on back and 160 on front. You won't be disappointed and it's a relatively cheap mod with a nice return in both looks and handling.

Don't mind the guys who are shooting you a bunch of crap. It's just that some of us have been on here for years and this question gets brought up about once a month.

Welcome to the club

Search for or PM a member. He goes by "she's real fine my 109". He claims that he's been running a 280 and swears by it.

If you decide to go with it, then we'll just pray for you just as your screen name states...lol

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PR4YME View Post

We're just bustin' your balls dude. But yeah it's been discussed a time or two and the threads tend to be very long and argumentative.

IMHO I wouldn't do it. Stick to what you know works and stay with either the Metz 260 or Dunlop 250 as max tire size for the stock rim.
    Last edited by GeorgiaRoller; 03-23-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Very Active Member SilverSurfer's Avatar

OMG, this topic comes up so much, I think admin needs to sticky thread it....
    Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it....Mark Twain
    Gray 2008 M109R TRE, K&N, debeavered, gutted, custom Punisher intakes/key/derby, Fi2000r, PIAA, Air horn, Iso stilletos, Scythe mirrors, BackOff XP, P1 modulator, Irate Mesh Grill, LE tail,signals

I'll just say to the forum. As you can see, there is a lot of information here.

Like previously stated, you'll find most of the answers your looking for in Hink's frequently asked questions link, which someone posted above.

Let the mods begin.....Ride Safe

Default Skip the 280

Go straight for the car tire. It lasts 30,000 miles.

Very Active Member

Don't do it, it could be dangerous. You don't want to take unnecessary chances with your life.

and before you go get a 280, check out the VEE rubber. It's almost as wide as a 280, but it's a 260 and fits the 8.5" wheel.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140785

I just swapped a 280 metz (on a stock rim) with a monster vee 260, I put about 8 thousand miles on that 280 tire with no issues, with the exception of uneven wear. I was suprised that I got that many miles out of that tire, considering others that tried it wore them down quickly.. Would I do it again...no
    The 280 metz, and the monster 260 measure virtually the same mounted,
    10 1/4 inches. I layed each tire on it's side, and ran a four foot level across each one. the monster was slightly wider, but not much. Time will tell how well the monster holds up. It looks great, ands it's alot cheaper than the metz..
    good luck.

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

and on such a great topic...! I mean on the sweet ride....!!!!
    BONE STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by STL-TIGER View Post
    I say just do it and keep everyone here updated on how well it works for you!
    I'm with you Ben, I say he should do it but run it in reverse. I mean, what is there to lose? Ain't the 160 too wide for the front rim also .

-2008 M109R "The Silver Bullet"
    -2013 HD Road King "The Orange Crush"
    -2015 HD Sportster Iron "TBD"

Very Active Member fire fighter 109's Avatar

on the search factor, if you add "" or the google way is to add :site:m109riders.com

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=280+on+stock+ri...m109riders.com+

on the 280 with a stock rim, I say go for it. Safety last, right?

]I would rather be homeless than chromeless. She's got a few shinny do-dads on her.