HELP! Gear Problems

Thread: HELP! Gear Problems

Default HELP! Gear Problems

While out enjoying an awesome day in Tampa Fl on the 9 and preparing to make a left turn, suddenly she won't go into first gear from neutral. As I play with the clutch and gear shift, she goes into first gear but simultaneously jump and then shutoff. As I tried to start the bike in gear she would jump very aggressively. She would only start in neutral and then jump and shut down when an attempt was made to get her in gear. A I checked the clutch cable to ensure that it was engaging the transmission it all looked okay . Has anyone experienced something like this ?
    Last edited by O-ZONE; 03-13-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: repeat message

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by O-ZONE View Post
    While out enjoying an awesome day in Tampa Fl on the 9 and preparing to make a left turn, suddenly she won't go into first gear from neutral. As I play with the clutch and gear shift, she goes into first gear but simultaneously jump and then shutoff. As I tried to start the bike in gear she would jump very aggressively. She would only start in neutral and then jump and shut down when an attempt was made to get her in gear. A I checked the clutch cable to ensure that it was engaging the transmission it all looked okay . Has anyone experienced something like this ?

You must have an '06-'07. Either you have a clutch cable failing---look at top adjuster and look for frayed cable and look behind the middle left side cover for the same thing. If the cable looks good, then you have the clutch tube (hub) nut backing off on the outer basket. 99% that this is the cause due to what you have described. Either way you are dead in the water. You can do a search under clutch hub nut or tube nut to help you understand what all is involved. Wish I were closer, I would be happy to help. Oh, the more you start the engine, the more damage you can do to the hopefully not yet damaged parts.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!