Put on my G-Man timing retard eliminator and...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put on my G-Man timing retard eliminator and...

Default Put on my G-Man timing retard eliminator and...

HOLY CHIT!!!!

what a difference man! I first got the bug when I rode Fletch09R a couple weeks ago and noticed there was a huge difference in the pull of his bike as compared to mine.

Big props to Gary for the late night call back last night to help me find the proper wire!! the harness was buried way deep behind the motor and I was plugging into the wrong harness causing fuel injection error code. Great service and a guy who stands behind his product. Not enough of that in the world if you ask me

big'ups to Collin for the recommendation and tearing into his bike to help a brother out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Yes sir, When Gary sells one of these, first thing he says is "HOLD ON real good" LOL Getting the power that zook killed at the factory. chezzzzz

Default hey...

hey....where do i get one of these G-man timing retard eliminator gadgets thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joeb429 View Post
    hey....where do i get one of these G-man timing retard eliminator gadgets thanks
    Send me an email to [email protected]. I posted where I bought it, but I guess cause they are not a sponser this site, they deleted it

I bought his TRE and boy that did eliminate the retard! Gary warned me also to" hold on" I went through 2 JSD3Ms and they did nothing like Gman industies

Well, U just kinda answered the ? in my head... I have had a JSD on 4 three years with no problems.

Did you really notice a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullrider View Post
    I bought his TRE and boy that did eliminate the retard! Gary warned me also to" hold on" I went through 2 JSD3Ms and they did nothing like Gman industies
    "Don't worry about it rider"

That one Man is the secret theme of the entire revelation of God to man through that which is known as the HOLY BIBLE... JESUS CHRIST.

How would the g-man compare to the GiPro w/atre? I want a GiPro for the gear indicator... Hmmm

Very Active Member

I'm installing an ATRE before riding season starts. I couldn't believe the pull of the bike stock and I'm pretty excited to feel the difference my mods have made. This winter I installed Tornado's, fi2000r, and V&H bigshots....can't wait!
    Mods...losing count.

I too noticed a HUGE difference in the lower gears when I installed G-man's TRE. It was really simple to do. I can't wait till the season starts to let the 9 LOOSE. I have more power now in 1st and 2nd and it feels smoother when I take off. Great product and not that expensive. Oh yeah and put some K&N filters on too, you won't regret it.

I'm also curious why the Gman TRE is that much different than JSD3. I have the JSD and it works well. Both retard the timing so how could the Gman do anything different??

Not certain of the diff between G-Man and the other. All I know is that the pull and torque in 1,2 and 3 is clearly more after the install.

For those of u who are interested PM me and I will send u his info.
    Last edited by BoardMod; 02-12-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeemO View Post
    Not certain of the diff between G-Man and the other. All I know is that the pull and torque in 1,2 and 3 is clearly more after the install.

For those of u who are interested PM me and I will send u his info.
    Me either, He is a friend.....lol......and a good one at that.

Last edited by BoardMod; 02-12-2011 at 11:32 PM.

I'm pretty interested in why this one is different from the other TRE's out there.
    From what I've read most TRE's out there if not all of them, simply trick the timing in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to believe it's in 4th gear.
    I've always speculated that maybe the first three gears should have more tweaking to them than that within these TRE's to get more out of each gear.
    Now wondering if the G-Man has done that and this is where the difference is you guys are experiencing.

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

Just ordered one

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

Default Whoa now!

Before you get all exicited, all the TREs do the same thing! It sends the ECU a signal that equals the ohms of the gear position switch when it's in 4 gear, 2700 ohms if I remember correctly. So it's just a resistor that you could buy for $1.00 at radio shack, but it comes with the wires and plugs that match our bike, sealed in a waterproof case.
    If you want a gear indicator too, get the other one, but your bike won't be any faster or smoother.
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000DUDE View Post
    Before you get all exicited, all the TREs do the same thing! It sends the ECU a signal that equals the ohms of the gear position switch when it's in 4 gear, 2700 ohms if I remember correctly. So it's just a resistor that you could buy for $1.00 at radio shack, but it comes with the wires and plugs that match our bike, sealed in a waterproof case.
    If you want a gear indicator too, get the other one, but your bike won't be any faster or smoother.
    Well, that was my question. Why are some guys feeling more performance on this one than say the JSD, If they all do the same thing. Wouldn't this be an exact science using resisters as opposed to varied results ?

Default $50 = Done deal

There has been lots of positive feedback on TRE's in general, and for 50 bucks, its a no-brainer. If I don't notice a difference, then it comes off, but thats not what I've been led to believe based on all the ppl that have one. The gear indicator is not important to me, I know what gear i'm in. All that I will say is that in the past, it seems that certain brands have had problems, and other ones haven't.

I'll risk the $50
    Last edited by CanadianM109R; 02-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Default Science vs myth

Quote Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
    Well, that was my question. Why are some guys feeling more performance on this one than say the JSD, If they all do the same thing. Wouldn't this be an exact science using resisters as opposed to varied results ?
    That's what I like about science and math, it's not an opinion.
    This is an exciting bike, and making it a little faster and smoother for $50 gets the juices flowing. I just wanted to explain how it works. Buy whatever you want, I don't sell them!
    My bike is faster after I wax it!

With that said, WHAT WAX DO YOU USE
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000DUDE View Post
    Thanks for the scientific explanation. Just curuious if you have one on your bike or not? the reason why I ask is that the difference of what I notice in the "pull" category and what feels like "added torque" are clear as day. So if the timing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is 'advanced' (the retard eliminated) would you not get better performance as a result of the elimination of the timing retardation?

I don't know if I necessarily feel anything that leads me to believe the bike is smoother but it is definitely faster.

if you changed from jsd to trackday/gman/gipro etc. its probably because your jsd had failed

my jsd4 (with switch) worked great for a bit but then the "herky jerky" came back............ I would turn it off or on with no difference

after several attempts to contact jeff at jsd I gave up and bought the one from trackday

I must have started to get use to the lack of power
    (even stock the 9 pulls well)
    after the new tre it felt like my 9 has a whole new attitude

my advice ? flush the jsd

I am a timing retard myself.
    I dont totally understand how it works.
    I do know I tried a JSD3M and I had pinging and high RPMs when in idle,then I got a replacement JSD3M and had different issues with no performance increase as well as the first one.
    I took them off and cut my losses.
    I met Gary of Gman Industries on a ride and he told me about his TRE so I thought I would give it another shot.
    I connected it the same way as the previous TREs.
    Instantly I noticed TORQUE! in first and second gear.
    With the Gman TRE I have never had preignition(pinging) nor high RPM at idle,ever in the 6,000 miles of running with a Gman TRE.

This is a testimony from a layman for Gman.

Good enough for me.

I am a timing retard myself.
    I dont totally understand how it works.
    I do know I tried a JSD3M and I had pinging and high RPMs when in idle,then I got a replacement JSD3M and had different issues with no performance increase as well as the first one.
    I took them off and cut my losses.
    I met Gary of Gman Industries on a ride and he told me about his TRE so I thought I would give it another shot.
    I connected it the same way as the previous TREs.
    Instantly I noticed TORQUE! in first and second gear.
    With the Gman TRE I have never had preignition(pinging) nor high RPM at idle,ever in the 6,000 miles of running with a Gman TRE.

This is a testimony from a layman for Gman.

Default TREs

Quote Originally Posted by DeemO View Post
    Thanks for the scientific explanation. Just curuious if you have one on your bike or not? the reason why I ask is that the difference of what I notice in the "pull" category and what feels like "added torque" are clear as day. So if the timing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is 'advanced' (the retard eliminated) would you not get better performance as a result of the elimination of the timing retardation?

I don't know if I necessarily feel anything that leads me to believe the bike is smoother but it is definitely faster.
    I'm not saying that installing a TRE will not do anything (unless it's broken or connected to the wrong connector), it will. Advancing the timing in the first three gears will give it more zip, and the top speed will be higher in 5th gear.
    My JSD has been great, but I have read of others that apparently failed.
    So get what you think is best.
    BTW, high idling can result from not letting the bike cycle through it's start up cycle (noises) before starting it, and pinging from bad gas or not using premium fuel. Just saying.
    Edit: I just tried to contact Jeff of JSD, and couldn't find any contact information. I Don't know what happened to him. He was very active at one time.
    Last edited by CBR1000DUDE; 02-12-2011 at 09:32 PM.

The difference between just adding a resistor, and part of the reason for the added cost of the item, is they have circuitry to kick the TRE out at idle. The early TRE's didn't and the bike would idle faster when you pulled in the clutch. Anyone that has ever played around with distributor timing on old cars knows how they idle faster if you advance the timing, and the bike does the same thing. Later TRE's all incorporate a circuit to kick the TRE out when it senses the bike is in neutral.

There's a good How-To by Robert May in the How-To board on making your own if you want to try it. As CBR said, they all do the same thing as long as they work, they just make the bike think it's in 4th gear all the time by using a resistor to send a fake signal to the ECU. No magic in one adding more or less timing than the others.

Home built ATRE assembly and install instructions

Last edited by Zoom; 02-12-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Added Link

Just ordered one today. Thanks again Nemo
    2009 M109R, Power Commander V, engine guards, tank bra, cobra swept exhaust, K & N filters, constellation floor boards, v-stream windshield, scorpio sr -I900 alarm

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    The difference between just adding a resistor, and part of the reason for the added cost of the item, is they have circuitry to kick the TRE out at idle. The early TRE's didn't and the bike would idle faster when you pulled in the clutch. Anyone that has ever played around with distributor timing on old cars knows how they idle faster if you advance the timing, and the bike does the same thing. Later TRE's all incorporate a circuit to kick the TRE out when it senses the bike is in neutral.

There's a good How-To by Robert May in the How-To board on making your own if you want to try it. As CBR said, they all do the same thing as long as they work, they just make the bike think it's in 4th gear all the time by using a resistor to send a fake signal to the ECU. No magic in one adding more or less timing than the others.

Home built ATRE assembly and install instructions

No magic in one adding more or less timing than the others..
    Hey Zoom,
    I've been asking if anyone does or does not add more or less timing based on the gear, or do they just send the same (4th gear) signal to 1,2, & 3.
    Not knowing a whole lot about timing; Should he timing in each gear be different. Meaning a different signal/ohm. Would that make it run better than say one that has a different ohm sent to it ?
    No one seems to know.

I have the TRE from trackday electronics. I noticed more pull when I put it on but what I noticed even more was how it smooths out the first three gears at low speeds with little throttle input. The surging went away. Thats just as important to me. It makes it much smoother at parking lot speeds. No surprise jerkiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Explaination

Quote Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
    No magic in one adding more or less timing than the others..
    Hey Zoom,
    I've been asking if anyone does or does not add more or less timing based on the gear, or do they just send the same (4th gear) signal to 1,2, & 3.
    Not knowing a whole lot about timing; Should he timing in each gear be different. Meaning a different signal/ohm. Would that make it run better than say one that has a different ohm sent to it ?
    No one seems to know.
    Here's about the best explaination I've read, although it's referring to a 6 speed gsxr............ours uses the 4th gear signal, not 5th.:
    http://www.geartronics.co.uk/tre.htm
    The ECM has timing and fuel maps for each gear. A TRE just affects what gear the ECM thinks it's in, so uses the timing for that gear. The acticle explains why that gear was selected.
    If you want to affect how much fuel is delivered, you'll need a fuel controller like my Cobra Fi2000R or a Power Commander.
    Regardless of your mods, even a stock bike will run better with a TRE and fuel controller, the factory settings are to meet emission standards, and make the bike jerky in the lower gears, and limit top speed.

Thanks for posting that. I assume that the JSD TRE is an 'active' TRE because my idle is smooth as buttah. Come to think of it though, my idle is smooth in gear also. The only dislike for me is the hard knocking on accelleration. Apparantly harmless, but unnerving non the less
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.