Furnace repair rip off!

Thread: Furnace repair rip off!

Default Furnace repair rip off!

My home furnace didn't work overnight, and it was pretty cold in the house in the morning. I called a local company, and got an appointment.
    So I took off the cover and noticed the ignitor wasn't glowing during the start up. So I used my BBQ lighter, and recycled it, and it fired right up.
    So I was pretty sure I had found the problem, but my wife wanted an "expert" to look at it.
    So the guy shows up and tells me it's the ignitor, and he'll have to order it. $95 for the service call. But.....when he returns with the part, there won't be another service charge.
    So I look. up the part on line, $33 plus shipping. Overnight is $50. Hmm.
    They call me later and tell me they will have the part in the am, $84. OK, now the kicker, it's $85 more to install it, 2 screws and plug it in! What was the $95 for, diagnostic. Oh.
    So today the guy shows up, and I tell him just give me the part for $84, and I'll install it myself, I already took out the old one in less than 5 minutes. He gets all huffy, and I tell him, look, it's a $33 part, you already marked it up $51. So he tells me"order it online then". Fine I say, and go back in the house. 5 minutes later he rings the door bell, and says the office told him the part's not returnable, so he'll sell it to me, but no warranty. I paid for it.............now I'm thinking I could have asked for a discount, but it's too late. I "installed" it, and my heater fired right up.
    I just think that $95 for a service call that doesn't include any labor is a rip off. I didn't think to ask that, and they didn't make a point to tell me up front. I won't use them again.
    So I still feel ripped off, but not a bad as if I paid $85 more. BTW, thats for 30 minutes, their hourly rate is $170
    Next time I'm just using furnaceparts.com. If I can fix and mod my bike, I can fix my furnace. I feel better now . If this is too boring to read, just skip it.
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Sadly, it's like that everywhere. Either pay, or you don't.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

sounds all too familiar. Most ppl don't do what you did either. ...and you're right, most who can turn a wrench can do most around the house fixes

Power to the people!

why is the wife providing you guidance on furnace repairs? Tell her you'll fix it, end of discussion. Your wife should trust your judgement, unless you have a history of botched repairs
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

Very Active Member

My ex brother in law has his own plumbing & heating business & ripped people off all the time. The amazing part? His was a born again christian who believed in love for all etc but then ripped people off.

Had the same thing, but the repairman told me to first try using a metal file on the ignitor rod ends. He said they get deposits on them and they can't ignite, or 'spark'. So I used some course sand paper and got the 2 rods clean down to the metal. Started right up after that and have never had an issue since.

Do you still have the old ignitor rod? Might want to clean it up and test it...might have a refund if it was still working in the first place.

Dave
    2011LE, not so stock anymore. Lots of plans, lots of time...

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have fed with? That's me..." GT

You should do what I do. I plow my furnace guys driveway at a discount and he cleans and services my furnace. I just pay for parts. Came in handy Christmas Day 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody109 View Post
    You should do what I do. I plow my furnace guys driveway at a discount and he cleans and services my furnace. I just pay for parts. Came in handy Christmas Day 4 years ago.
    My neighbor replaced my entire unit on a cold Sunday last Jan. for $1200.00 including labor.............He got the check and a gift certificate to the steak house and I still feel like I owe him.

Banned

I have had that happen, I bought a heat pump system for the old house Paid $1650 for it, and had a company come out to just fab one little piece of sheet metal and sweat the 2 copper lines is all and charge the system, I did all the install, ran all the copper.

They didn't have much to do. 2 guys spent 3 hours, and the one new guy did all the work but sweat the 2 copper lines. The ol timer from the company did that. The WHOLE rest of the time the ol guy was on his cell phone talking trading stocks with his broker,,,,,,,,,,,,,That POS charged me $1800 for those 3 hours and charged me $180 was a part I didn't need and charged me for a whole pack of zip ties,

He used 3 of them and when I saw on the bill $35 for parts I asked him WTF they were. That's when he told me if they open a pack of anything they charge the customer for the whole pack, I wonder how many places they go and charge the customer for the same pack of zip ties over and over until they open a new one,

They got a real good piece of my mind, and everyone i talk to knows the story as well....... A bunch of scammers.....

I'm more surprised that you need a furnace in California. I thought it was warm and you guys rode there all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    I'm more surprised that you need a furnace in California. I thought it was warm and you guys rode there all the time?
    You know they say "The coldest summer I spent was in California."
    Last edited by rynosback; 01-26-2011 at 12:05 AM.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I have had that happen, I bought a heat pump system for the old house Paid $1650 for it, and had a company come out to just fab one little piece of sheet metal and sweat the 2 copper lines is all and charge the system, I did all the install, ran all the copper.

They didn't have much to do. 2 guys spent 3 hours, and the one new guy did all the work but sweat the 2 copper lines. The ol timer from the company did that. The WHOLE rest of the time the ol guy was on his cell phone talking trading stocks with his broker,,,,,,,,,,,,,That POS charged me $1800 for those 3 hours and charged me $180 was a part I didn't need and charged me for a whole pack of zip ties,

He used 3 of them and when I saw on the bill $35 for parts I asked him WTF they were. That's when he told me if they open a pack of anything they charge the customer for the whole pack, I wonder how many places they go and charge the customer for the same pack of zip ties over and over until they open a new one,

They got a real good piece of my mind, and everyone i talk to knows the story as well....... A bunch of scammers.....

Dammmmmmmmm! my whole system . take out , install 93+ and fab new sheet metal was 2000 was a installer doing Night/weekend work
    Bully Bagger

Default Weather sissys

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    I know we're weather sissys. When it gets down to 56 degrees we act like we're in Siberia. It's actually been in the forties over night.........Brrr.
    I did ride my bike yesterday if that helps.
    It's too bad so many others have been ripped off by home repair people. It seems like an honest days work at a fair price is getting scarce. I still can't believe the guy got pissy because I refused to pay $85 to plug in something and "install" 2 sheet metal screws. I forgot to tell him I've already taught my almost 4 year old grandson how to use a screwdriver. He even knows a flat head from a Phillips and lefty loosey, righty tighty!
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

Very Active Member

That is definitely a rip off. My friend works for an hvac company. they tell you up front there is a diagnostic charge. However, if it is a simple fix, and they do mark up the product, they will come back out and include the labor in the first service call charge.

Car mechanics are pretty notorious rip-off kings also.

Not saying all are, but its an easy deal to rip off someone that has car troubles, that is in a bind.
    C50 Volusia Intruder (Sweetpea) then a 2003 Honda Magna (Maggie) and now an 07 109 (Gwendolyn). I've been 160 MPH as a passenger on the back of a Hayabusa (Bridgette). And my OMG newest bike to add is my own 03 Copper Hayabusa, named Ysabel.

Cuz chicks ride too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordrider View Post
    Dammmmmmmmm! my whole system . take out , install 93+ and fab new sheet metal was 2000 was a installer doing Night/weekend work
    LOL Nope, Back then Bellingham WA was a breeding place for scam and mega inflated real estate, I guess they figured the area wasn't onto the scams people play. I dint think they are is business anymore, They were one of the biggest there also.,,,,,,,,,,

If your furnace has just died in sub-zero temperatures or your air conditioner has gone kaput on a sweltering day, you'll probably be glad to hire the first repairman who can come to your house that day. But, if you're planning a major or costly upgrade to your home's heating, air conditioning or air ducts, it's worth the time to research and interview several companies before hiring one. Any professional that works in your home should carry liability insurance to protect the homeowner in the case of accidental damage or injury.If you're hiring a company for maintenance or having new equipment installed, enrolling in a service company's service contract program may give you added peace of mind. Service contracts are just that, a contract that ensures your HVAC system is serviced regularly by the company.While having your equipment professionally maintained on a regular basis may extend the useful lifespan and improve its efficiency, as with any contract, make sure you know what you're paying for.
    Last edited by Board Support-1; 06-11-2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Removed links

Quote Originally Posted by Edan toorgeman View Post
    If your furnace has just died in sub-zero temperatures or your air conditioner has gone kaput on a sweltering day, you'll probably be glad to hire the first repairman who can come to your house that day. But, if you're planning a major or costly upgrade to your home's heating, air conditioning or air ducts, it's worth the time to research and interview several companies before hiring one. Any professional that works in your home should carry liability insurance to protect the homeowner in the case of accidental damage or injury.If you're hiring a company for maintenance or having new equipment installed, enrolling in a service company's service contract program may give you added peace of mind. Service contracts are just that, a contract that ensures your HVAC system is serviced regularly by the company.While having your equipment professionally maintained on a regular basis may extend the useful lifespan and improve its efficiency, as with any contract, make sure you know what you're paying for.
    You realize this is a post from 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy99 View Post
    You realize this is a post from 2011?
    His first and only post on a motorcycle forum is about HVAC on a four year old thread and "links were removed"...pretty sure it was spam. just saying.
    Last edited by Poseidon; 06-12-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: corrected my math

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    His first and only post on a motorcycle forum is about HVAC on a four year old thread and "links were removed"...pretty sure it was spam. just saying.
    That was my first thought too, but I give them a reasonable doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Board Support-1 View Post
    That was my first thought too, but I give them a reasonable doubt.

My gas company keeps sending me that spam crap for a service contract. I use it to start the fire in the burn barrel. Service contracts are nothing but a way for someone to get paid for doing something that doesn't need done so they can find a way to accelerate a problem so they do make a bunch of money in the near future. Why would any businessman try to keep a problem from occurring that would take money out of their vacation fund?

My AC went out last week and because of a good friend here that could have made a lot of money from me just gave me advice over the phone. I managed to get the thing working again probably as good as new without paying for anyone to come and sell me a whole new unit. I still don't know how much I'm going to be charged for the motor, but I do know that it is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new central air unit.

grimreaper is a real stand up guy that puts friendship in front of personal gain. I will get him reimbursed for his knowledge and willingness to share it with the less intelligent!

Well i also co-ordinated with an expert who offers heating service near but i won't be able to manage it by own. Then it fixed by hiring an expert !!