Illinois Meet Idea
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Meet Idea

Default Illinois Meet Idea

Since this section had been quiet for quite sometime now, I want to toss an idea of an Illinois or the Tri-State area meet sometime late spring or early summer. I'm not a very good organizer of things, so if anyone wanna spearhead this idea.

toss in some routes in hat and go from there...it would be nice to meet some 109 riders in the area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I'd be up for attending. Would be willing to help with some routes maybe. Meeting up with some more Illinois 9'ers would be good.

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

I was trying to do this last year, but my event planning skills are not the best either. I have over an acre semi rural lot very biker friendly neighbors and you could camp also, plenty of room for extra vehicles if anyones other wanted to cage it. I dont have a ton of cash to get porta potty or food. but I have the location.
    Bully Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member WindyCityDave's Avatar

I'm interested !
    Rockford isn't that far out.

WCD

Very Active Member

If you do make it a Tri-State meet, I'd be interested, and I think others nearby would, too. Rockford is only a couple hours out for me.

You could always attend the Mid Atlantic Meet. It used to be called the Annual Meet. There is a link in my signature. People are coming from TX to Canada.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

thanks ryan! wouldnt we all love to come there. Most cant get the time or cash . to do a week long trip. Guys If you can help me out here we could get somthing going. And of course anyone is welcome where ever your from. It might be a fun weekend or just a day. What do you guys want to do? There are hotels you can stay in or camp at my place? need input!
    Bully Bagger

Very Active Member freestylejski's Avatar

That is awesome!! count me in

There are some good roads from the south like rt2 north to rockford
    I am close to Ohare airport (WoodDale)

some could meet at a central point from the east and the south
    then all meet in Rockford
    then on west to Galina and north to WI
    and back to rockford for the night

will something like that work
    Let's Ride!!!!

Very Active Member

I think that is a good idea, Freestyle. Leave Rockford between 8 and 10, stop somewhere for lunch, maybe see an attraction, or memorial or something, and get back to Rockford about 4 to 6 for a BBQ, or stop at a nearby restaurant.

As far as camping or a hotel, if its more than one day, leave that up to each rider, as long as the campers let Rockfordrider know in advance, and everyone knows the schedule.

This is just an outline, chop it up as you wish.
    Last edited by sbman; 01-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.

keep them coming guys I like the idea of leaving here around 8 . Go through galena then to sahvanna there is a bar down there full of vintage bikes. or go out of galena and head into wis. they have some really nice roads up there, I will have one of my buddies make a couple of routes up. He does it for the club all the time and will ride with us on his road king. the rest is up to you guys it is all good to me.
    Bully Bagger

I'm in! I'm only 2 hours west of chicago.
    Last edited by 54degrees; 01-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.

This sounds like a great time. I have a buddy in Wisconsin and this would be a perfect excuse for me to get up and visit him.

Any idea on a tentative timeframe?

You can run, but you will just die tired..............

Yes, I'm looking forward to this, i dont get to ride with other metric bikes much let alone other 9's!

If we head west we must hit the stagecoach trail
    I was on it this past summer and what a great stretch of road
    I would say the best in IL

I found a great description of the road

Heading west out of Lena is the Historic Stagecoach Trail, marked along the route with Historic Trail signs. Now you're on one of the most scenic 40 miles of road in the whole state. The normally flat topography of Illinois changes into beautiful lush rolling hills, with farmhouses and barns that look like a scene from the 1850s. You will pass through small, sleepy, all-American towns with names like Waddams Grove, Apple River, and Scales Mound. The winding two-lane road, with tight turns and switchbacks is ideal for enthusiastic top-down sports car driving, or better yet, in the saddle of a nimble motorcycle.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=13
    Last edited by freestylejski; 01-03-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Let's Ride!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by freestylejski View Post
    If we head west we must hit the stagecoach trail
    I was on it this past summer and what a great stretch of road
    I would say the best in IL

I found a great description of the road

Heading west out of Lena is the Historic Stagecoach Trail, marked along the route with Historic Trail signs. Now you're on one of the most scenic 40 miles of road in the whole state. The normally flat topography of Illinois changes into beautiful lush rolling hills, with farmhouses and barns that look like a scene from the 1850s. You will pass through small, sleepy, all-American towns with names like Waddams Grove, Apple River, and Scales Mound. The winding two-lane road, with tight turns and switchbacks is ideal for enthusiastic top-down sports car driving, or better yet, in the saddle of a nimble motorcycle.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=13
    Now we're getting something. I'm In. Since Rockford is near Galena, we definitely have to ride Stage Coach Rd and have luch in downtown Galena and go from there.

I'm about 3 hrs. of Rockford but had made a couple of ride up there last summer. We rode up to Dixon and taken Rt 2 along the river and ended up in Rockford.

Let's get a head count and figure out accomodations. Let's do this in early summer when the days are longer...and if the weather isn't ideal then we have time to reschedule...

first route tenative is west on 20 to stage coach, new diggins,galena,to savanah and back up through dixion up rout 2. back in time for dinner.
    Bully Bagger

Stagecoach trail looks great, was it crowded and touristy or is this a pretty well kept secret?

Once you guys nail down a date I can make some plans. I know my wife would love to ride up in that area............ as long as you don't mind having a C14 tagging along.

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordrider View Post
    first route tenative is west on 20 to stage coach, new diggins,galena,to savanah and back up through dixion up rout 2. back in time for dinner.

sounds good...let's work on a date that's ideal for everyone...

I rode the trail on a Friday
    There was no traffic at all
    Most ride the main road that would be rt20

As far as other bikes other than the 109's
    all I can say is bring them all out
    Bring a few friends as well the more the better
    and don't forget the Wifes and G/F's

I ride with a few yammies and B-king also a few of them H-D'S
    They all Might make the ride as well as the G/F for sure

1st week of June is booked for me
    How's the last week of May......To early?
    Let's Ride!!!!

The end of May sounds good to me.

Last week of May is Memorial Day weekend...there might be a lot of rides that weekend...but let's pencil that in...

Im thinking a holiday weekend may be bad for people wanting to spend time with thier families. how about the weekend befor or 2 befor then we wouldnt have to worry about thoes with kids getting out of school and such.
    Bully Bagger

Quote Originally Posted by jdmitchell View Post
    Stagecoach trail looks great, was it crowded and touristy or is this a pretty well kept secret?

Once you guys nail down a date I can make some plans. I know my wife would love to ride up in that area............ as long as you don't mind having a C14 tagging along.
    It is a secret shhhhhh! there has never been trafic on there.
    connie is welcome as is anyone that rides.
    Bully Bagger

Default Route suggestion

Hi guys, just south of Scales Mound is Apple River Canyon State Park. I believe there is a way to go South off of Stagecoach, Drive around/through the park, go around the South side of it where the dam is, and then come back Northbound to rejoin Stagecoach. There is a waterfall by the dam and it's very scenic. There is also a restaurant right on the lake, as well as a pavillion area just west of the dam which might be a good restroom stop.

that sounds like a good idea
    I looked at that and it looks real nice down that way
    Let's Ride!!!!

It is sweet, I rode that road, as well as some of the Stagecoach, last year in May. The only "traffic" we had to contend with was a Terra-Gator" (The big 3 wheel fertilizer spreader). Another suggestion: in Galena, just East of the river, is a road that goes South towards Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort. At some point it goes East and joins up with Hwy 84 @ Hanover, 84 is the Hiway that goes from Hwy 20 @ Elizabeth down to Savannah. It is one of the twistiest roads I've been on in the area.

Ill pass these along to my trip maker.
    Bully Bagger

Default Sounds Good to me

I'm interested !

Quote Originally Posted by RODLAD View Post
    Hi guys, just south of Scales Mound is Apple River Canyon State Park. I believe there is a way to go South off of Stagecoach, Drive around/through the park, go around the South side of it where the dam is, and then come back Northbound to rejoin Stagecoach. There is a waterfall by the dam and it's very scenic. There is also a restaurant right on the lake, as well as a pavillion area just west of the dam which might be a good restroom stop.
    Apple canyon lake is where the dam. waterfall, and restaurant is. the apple canyon park is a different spot and kind of out of the way of stagecoach.

Quote Originally Posted by RODLAD View Post
    It is sweet, I rode that road, as well as some of the Stagecoach, last year in May. The only "traffic" we had to contend with was a Terra-Gator" (The big 3 wheel fertilizer spreader). Another suggestion: in Galena, just East of the river, is a road that goes South towards Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort. At some point it goes East and joins up with Hwy 84 @ Hanover, 84 is the Hiway that goes from Hwy 20 @ Elizabeth down to Savannah. It is one of the twistiest roads I've been on in the area.

I have a better suggestion, in hanover there is a backway out of town and a backroad down to savannah (hanover road to derinda road to scenic ridge road which leads right into savanna). this is even twistier
    Last edited by 54degrees; 01-06-2011 at 01:50 AM.